Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Character Creation Video Shines

13»

Comments

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

It looks great, but it's not entirely unique.  It looks better than (but very similar to) Age of Conan's character creation.  Age of Conan's character creation had every single thing that was mentioned in that video.  The biggest difference is the quality of the graphics.  Next, the interface is obviously different.  Beyond that, they both seem to have equivalent customization options.

In Age of Conan you could apply tattoos, make-up and face paint on the head separate from the tattoos or body paint on the body.

If you clicked the Advanced button, you could customize different settings for shape of the body, and customize bone structure of the face.  Alternatively, you could use preset faces (which had varying bone structures, and some looked "young" and some looked "aged", so I think there was an age slider in AoC as well), and you could use the "body shape triangle" to quickly adjust the shape of the body.

The color palette in that ESO video looked like it was ripped straight out of AoC's color palette for hair and eye color.  The "body shape triangle" as well.  Not saying AoC is the first and only game to have those features, but the way these were implemented reminded me of AoC.

The only thing in ESO's character creation that AoC doesn't have: playable races that aren't human!

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

LOL. Kajiit and Argonians = Humans with tails and animal heads.

Not surprised

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• ivanj99ivanj99 Member Posts: 19
    This is a joke right? This is the same same depth that almost every other mmorpg provides.

Ps, are they still making Dark Elves and Bretons faction? Whoever owns the Elder Scrolls series has been making shit games since Oblivion/Skyrim/F3/FNV, all these needed 1000's of user modification to make into a real ES game, I can't imagine what type of joke the Online version is going to be, and I am very disappointed.

Starwars IP ruined by SWTOR and now ES ruined by ESO, man I fucking hate these developers making lore and games that could have been good into themepark shitters.
  • LeviathonlxLeviathonlx Member Posts: 135
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

It looks pretty good as to what should be standard by now. I'm glad they're not skimping on this.

I'm trying to remember what other mmo has that triangle body shape mechanism. I remember thinking that was pretty slick.

Beast races being humans with animal heads and tails and every race using the same base skeleton (and in effect the same exact animations) is the very definition of skimping in my opinion. The last big game that got that lazy didn't fare so well. 

• ivanj99ivanj99 Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by Leviathonlx

It looks pretty good as to what should be standard by now. I'm glad they're not skimping on this.

I'm trying to remember what other mmo has that triangle body shape mechanism. I remember thinking that was pretty slick.

Beast races being humans with animal heads and tails and every race using the same base skeleton (and in effect the same exact animations) is the very definition of skimping in my opinion. The last big game that got that lazy didn't fare so well. 

Yea, this game is going to flop hard, in the day and age of mass consumer themeparks, you better atleast get the Lore right to keep your dedicated ES fans, aka how SWTOR is still surviving ( the stories are pretty good ).

everyone will just flock back to WOW once they do 30 day trial,  because most of there friends/relatives still playing WoW, so might as well just play that if your going to play a themepark, not to mention Gw2 buy to play is most peoples back ups.

What has changed inside Bethesda ever since Daggerfall/Marrowwind they have not released a good standalone game?

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

At least they look real, not like a cartoon.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by Siris23
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by shalissar

I think that's Age of Conan, but the changes that you make on the sliders are more pronounced in ESO. Pretty nifty stuff, I'm gettin' more excited about this!

Arent they using the same engine as AoC?

I wouldnt be surprised if they used the same base engine... graphics indeed look a lot..

Unlikely, I don't think Funcom licenses their Dreamworld engine.

back on topic, if Skyrim's char creator was like this I would have played it way more. They were just fugly compared to this, esp. the elves.

Edit: looks like it's using HeroEngine:

http://elderscrollsonline.info/news/about-game-engine

hopefully they do a better job of implementing it than SWTOR did image

The current Version of HeroEngine is actually pretty good.

The problem With SW:TOR was, that they used one of the earliest Versions of HeroEngine and heavily modified it and so could not Upgrade the engine to later Versions anymore.

That Version of HeroEngine was plagued by performance problems and was the primary reason why the MMO Hero's Journey never saw the light of day.

Instead they later added it as a demo asset to HeroEngine.

• MischiffMischiff Member Posts: 169

its not bad .. but its not as good as AIONs, im glad you cant make tiny characters like in AION , but you cant even make one look like a dwarf from RIFT either, the height adjustment looks to be between 5'6 and a lil over 6'   .

Even the facials are subtle at best .. talking jaws, eyes, ears etc, not scars or tats .. in other words you would have to get pretty close to see any differences.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Mischiff

its not bad .. but its not as good as AIONs, im glad you cant make tiny characters like in AION , but you cant even make one look like a dwarf from RIFT either, the height adjustment looks to be between 5'6 and a lil over 6'   .

Even the facials are subtle at best .. talking jaws, eyes, ears etc, not scars or tats .. in other words you would have to get pretty close to see any differences.

There are no Dwarves in Elder Scrolls that directly correlate to, say, a Lord of the Rings Dwarf. There are the Dwemer but they are elves and they have "vanished".

It's possible they were small, but I think, given Morrowind, they were probably more like Wood Elf size.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    They were small elves with beards :)
  • Valgar1Valgar1 Member UncommonPosts: 324
    I belive they prefer little people.

• LeviathonlxLeviathonlx Member Posts: 135

I mean in how the configuration tool works not really the racial options. That's more part of the lore of the game rather than the mechanics of the character creator. I don't have an opinion one way or another about the racial options.

The mechanics of the creator are more than satisfactory and like the AoC system. The texture look good enough and seem to fit the style and look of the game world.

The only thing that looks funny is the bendy armour but like like Sovrath points out it's likely to help performance in pvp.

I have plenty of criticism for the game but this isn't one of them. The system is at least as good as most any other currently published mmo.

From a gameplay perspective I look at it this way. If a developer is too lazy to put effort into the avatars players play as the entire time they are in the game then they likely will cut corners in other areas of gameplay as well.

I understand the 'lore' reason for khajiit to not have digitigrade legs for example (though that lore was made up to justify said design laziness back in Oblivion) but in the case of argonians there is no such lore besides them wanting to use the same exact animations for everything to make things easier.

At least I have GW2 if I want my proper beast race (WoW too but Blizzard has problems having tauren and worgen exist). 
  • Solo-niteSolo-nite Member Posts: 5

Doesn't look too bad at all, I mean it's not something different to be honest but it does cover a lot of customisation which is always good.

Good to see plenty of scar/tattoo options which I think some games lack in

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Looks really nice. I love the attention to details. I am certainly going to try it, even if just for a short while...

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Looks better than the skyrim character creator to me.
  • greyhawke115greyhawke115 Member Posts: 2
    Its nice enough, but I still prefer City of Heroes. The one failing of most MMOs is the reliance on gear acquired determining how you look, but needing the gear to actually be relevant in combat. If they disconnect the two and allow me to look the way I want right from the beginning, then I will be more impressed. 
  • BreakNFacesBreakNFaces Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Looks above average, we are almost in 2014 so could of been better

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by ivanj99

Originally posted by Torvaldr It looks pretty good as to what should be standard by now. I'm glad they're not skimping on this. I'm trying to remember what other mmo has that triangle body shape mechanism. I remember thinking that was pretty slick.
    Yea, this game is going to flop hard, in the day and age of mass consumer themeparks, you better atleast get the Lore right to keep your dedicated ES fans, aka how SWTOR is still surviving ( the stories are pretty good ).

everyone will just flock back to WOW once they do 30 day trial,  because most of there friends/relatives still playing WoW, so might as well just play that if your going to play a themepark, not to mention Gw2 buy to play is most peoples back ups.

What has changed inside Bethesda ever since Daggerfall/Marrowwind they have not released a good standalone game?

That's a positive 1month and down it go unless consoles have a succes and it could be they never enjoyed a multiplayer on this magnitude. But i very doub that most mmo players will fall for the same old copy past themepark DEJAVU feeling.

I realy don't understand why you people don't see these characters dont look so good.

Hair looks copied straight from oblivion ugly and primitive seems im only one seeing this, ill bet it dont even use any animation movement.

Remember how morrowind argonians walk.

These all look human only head is different and some different textures.

1 Month GameOver!

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by stealthbr
    Originally posted by Siris23

Unlikely, I don't think Funcom licenses their Dreamworld engine.

back on topic, if Skyrim's char creator was like this I would have played it way more. They were just fugly compared to this, esp. the elves.

Edit: looks like it's using HeroEngine:

http://elderscrollsonline.info/news/about-game-engine

hopefully they do a better job of implementing it than SWTOR did image

You didn't read that properly. "ZeniMax tell that HeroEngine helped them to get started. But final version of Elder Scrolls Online will have its own unique engine."

Lets hope so, because the hero engine was the single reason of all the initial swtor problems... And improving and working around the engine took more then half their budget, in the end for swtor the engine was a hindrance instead of a helpfull tool... eA should have developed their own mmo engine as part of the swtor project, would have been cheeper..

lets hope Zenimax does not get trapped in the same pit

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by greyhawke115
    Its nice enough, but I still prefer City of Heroes. The one failing of most MMOs is the reliance on gear acquired determining how you look, but needing the gear to actually be relevant in combat. If they disconnect the two and allow me to look the way I want right from the beginning, then I will be more impressed. 

Dcuo had a great system for that... Worked really well..

most games are offering a reforge option nowerdays, to recreate armor with different looks

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)