Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What exactly makes this game unique amongst MMOs?

ConsuetudoConsuetudo Member UncommonPosts: 191

And this is not entirely criticism either, but a legitimate question. 

A first impression means a lot, and this game, keeping in mind that I am aware of its datedness, does not seem to be set apart from its competitors. I find myself doing the very same quests, using the very same abilities, the same classes &c., that I would find in any other MMO. And all I am really saying to myself while playing this is that it is a "WoW clone." 

Yet I don't really feel this with Age of Conan; although that game is questy, it also has a dynamic combat system and feels less blocky. 

It also seems like a bit of a B game, using sound-alike voice actors with regard to the people in the films and presenting loads of quest text I don't really see a point in reading, given that where I have to do quests is charted on the map. 

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

It is Tolkien!  Lord of the Rings!  Hobbits!  

For fans like me playing in Middle Earth is a dream.

If you are not a Tolkien fan I can imagine not being overly impressed with playing LOTRO.  I am a lifer since 2008 and recently returned after playing in GW2 and I am loving the game all over again.  

And reading?  Great text in this game. I need to read everything.  I have to say you just don't get it.  

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Everything in this game is based on or around stories ...  The world is much more authentic then the general high fantasy settings..

and for the next month or so classes have much much more diversity then in most mmos, while combat is a little slower, it has more tactical value

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

As far as unique features, LotRO is one of very few MMORPGs that offer the ability to play music that others can hear.   A good group can play together.  It does make for a unique in-game RP experience, as either performer or audience.  This, plus the game lore, makes this a good game for serious role playing when the mood strikes me.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    This title was the first MMO to really feel like a WOW clone to me, only with worse PVP.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Pretty much just being set in Middle Earth.

It's a fairly standard theme park MMORPG. I wouldn't call it a WoW clone, as it's more a case of sharing similar inspirations than a direct copy, though they've tried to make it more and more like WoW as time goes back.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Nothing makes it unique imo. It was based on Tolkien's book(s) but it isn't anymore. There's only facade left but it's an empty shell to peddle shite from cash shop.
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

I am curious as to who the person was that claimed this MMO was "unique"?

I haven't really run into any MMO's I would describe as being unique.   This is simply a nicely detailed world set in Middle Earth as many have stated.   I like it because it feels like an actual world to me, versus some other MMO's I have played.  It gives me a free roaming feeling just travelling about the world.  Similar to Fallen Earth which I also enjoyed.   Your experience may  vary. 

If you are looking at this game for entertaining combat I would say this is not the MMO for you.  I am sure AoC combat is much deeper from what I have heard of that game.   Personally I am not looking for too much in regards to combat, and by that I mean I like to play for long periods and too much action combat wears me down.  I can find the right balance depending on the enemy or quest levels I choose.  Your experience may vary if you prefer more difficult twitch type combat.

Quests yea, are pretty standard fare.   Nothing too new here.  Occasionally some interesting ones do pop up, and instances can be challenging.  I am still trying to finish a fellowship instance with a friend in which we are severely outnumbered.  Still haven't beat it but we will eventually and that keeps us entertained.

Is it a unique MMO?  I can't really think of any real reason to say yes.  I still enjoy playing it tho.  I would say expect a casual experience of a high order and you won't be disappointed.  Looking for action and deep combat mechanics tho, then  probably not a good bet for you.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I love both because of the lore behind. True, AoC's conversation system is great, just as the combo mechanics. But as others posted already:

Originally posted by flizzer

It is Tolkien!  Lord of the Rings!  Hobbits!  

For fans like me playing in Middle Earth is a dream.

And reading?  Great text in this game. I need to read everything.  I have to say you just don't get it.  

Originally posted by Mendel

... the ability to play music that others can hear.  a unique in-game RP experience

These make it an awesome game.

And what makes it unique? Well, Turbine's lame, off-the-mark moves... (/sarcasm)

Like this last one to switch on +100% xp on everyone for a month. What, folks switched to premium to avoid the rest xp, and xp disabler sales weren't too good?  Well, I bet the disabler purchases will skyrocketing now...

• didjeramadidjerama Member Posts: 201

Its LOTR and game world is great. Art is truly awesome.

Beyond that, unfortunately, it is pretty much WoW for gameplay.

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281

I have to agree with the person that mentioned the music system. As small of a part of the game as it is, it's something that you just don't see in other games. It is great for RP or for just showing off or passing the time. I wish more games had a system like this that allowed players to "play" their own instruments in game. IMO it's the most unique thing about LOTRO ... other than the lore.

• maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    You have the lore, the music system, one of the better cosmetic systems help give each player their unique personality , legendary weapons system, mounted combat, open tagging, some have bits and pieces of some of these.  You put these all together is a polished game and that's what makes it unique.
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

If one ring to rule them all isn't unique....I don't know what unique means.

Well, than other than how to catch a unique rabbit.

"Unique up on it".

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520

It can be called a WoW clone, but I'd call it a quality WoW clone. The lore and presentation are pretty fantastic. The player models are a little lacking but the world and atmosphere are still nice to look at even now. You have your fair share of gathering bear ass quests, but there are also some pretty engaging quests as well. The mail quests can go straight to hell.

I played a hobbit burglar for a couple of years and really enjoyed it. I spent more time in WoW, but I can say I enjoyed my time playing LoTRO more than any other MMO to date. Back then the community was awesome, I don't know what it's like now.  My guild used to hold Old Forest runs where we'd run people through all the quests and get all the deeds done.  I never did play much PvP, so there's not much I can say about it, other than it wasn't really my thing. 

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Wiha
    Nothing makes it unique imo. It was based on Tolkien's book(s) but it isn't anymore. 

How exactly is it no longer based on Tolkien's books?  Aside from the Runekeeper class, the game has been very faithful to Tolkien lore...almost to a fault.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by maxima29
    You have the lore, the music system, one of the better cosmetic systems help give each player their unique personality , legendary weapons system, mounted combat, open tagging, some have bits and pieces of some of these.  You put these all together is a polished game and that's what makes it unique.

Not to mention one of the best communities in any MMO, with a dev team that encourages that type of social atmosphere with their numerous seasonal events and world design.  

Could the game have been made better?  Sure.  But as far as Wow-clones go, this game is one of the few that actually did it right, and still managed to have its own unique spin on the themepark style of MMO.  

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

* Bard class that kills things with his musical instrument lol

* Achievements that give you better abilities and are worth something

* Fantastic focus on the books and stories of LOTR

* Best mount system in any game full stop(especially the Warsteed which is like a horse simulator)

* Awesome community

* Amazing details in almost all the environments

* Detailed class system

* In game music system where you play many instruments

So basically it is everything wow is not.

Don't let the pvp kids tell you it's bad because it is the best mature MMO on the market right now.

• Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Nothing much anymore. WB & Turbine are ruining it.

Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by Wiha
    Nothing makes it unique imo. It was based on Tolkien's book(s) but it isn't anymore. 

How exactly is it no longer based on Tolkien's books?  Aside from the Runekeeper class, the game has been very faithful to Tolkien lore...almost to a fault.

Exactly my point....  and yes they added some lore but thats still very much in the Tolkien style..

Just wondering how they ever could have added the Runekeeper... it was in the same expansion as the Warden, where warden was so much Tolkien flavoured, its hard to find roots in tolkiens world for the runekeepers.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ConsuetudoConsuetudo Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Why not just play WoW? 
  • moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Originally posted by Consuetudo
    Why not just play WoW? 

HAHA you totally just trolled everyone with your original post. Mad props to your mr wow man.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Why not just play WoW? 

Because it isn't LOTRO?

Why not just play WoW? 

Actually i play both and GW2 on top of that...

-WoW for the easy accesible groupcontent.

-Lotro for the deep lore and beatifull stories and world feeling, love roleplaying, if other people would use the instance finder more, i could play lotro for PvE group content, as the instances actually outshine WoW in quallity and challenge.  The immerion of this game is still untouched, and that just encourages people to enjoy the world and roleplay in it.

-GW2 for my PvP needs, just the instanced part of it, because its so easy accesible.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Why not just play WoW? 

Because I played WoW  for the trial and I would much rather play LoTro.  MUCH rather!!!

Good lord the graphics were just so cartoony, I couldn't get past that.  And gameplay is the same so why deal with the cartoony graphics?

Still shaking my head at why WoW became so popular.  It certainly wasn't because of gameplay IMO. It was because it was accessible to everyone, and everyone had a friend who played it. 

Only reason.

And Lord Bachus explained it quite nicely in the above post.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    It features some of the worse character models and animations of any active mainstream MMO. I'm not a graphics whore, but trying to return to this watching my characters was just painful.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by Viper482
    It features some of the worse character models and animations of any active mainstream MMO. I'm not a graphics whore, but trying to return to this watching my characters was just painful.

Character models yeah ill agree its not the best, but worst nope go play STO, but LOTRO has the best wardrobe system out of any mainstream MMO so you can cover your toon up and make them look all nice.  Animations? What class were you playing, and are you judging this on a level one toon?   I would strongly disagree that this is the worst of the MMOs.