Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LoL is way more popular than WoW

Comments

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Xthos

I am not so sure that they are losing faith, I think they are unsure of what needs to be next.  They originally took the EQ model imo, and looked at ways to make it more casual/quick.  Then, if anything new was coming out, that people were excited about, they adapted it to WoW.  

That is losing faith. They are no longer "sure" that MMORPG is needed to be next.

I don't really consider that losing faith...A unemployed person may know they need a job, but be unaware of what it will be.  They made too much off of WoW to turn their backs on mmos.  They haven't had a ton of reason to risk their cash cow until recently, and their subs dropping...I would think internally they have a number at which they only see upside to releasing another mmo, would of made no sense while WoW was at its peak imo.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by CowboyHat
    Originally posted by Dontneed
    so eventually make kids think as if  'esports' is same as real sports.

Not only kids. The US govt agrees that e-sport is same as real sports and e-athletes can be classified as athletes for visa purposes.

And if olympics recognize e-sport .. what more do you need?

I will need a bullet to the head. Just the idea that they might even consider adding esports to the Olympics makes me cringe. There is not even a comparison in the difference in talent between a real athlete and one of these "eathletes." It already makes me sick that the US passed that law.

"comparison in difference in talent" .. .i don't suppose you think you hold a candle to those e-athletes? Have you seen the koreans playing SC2 (another e-sport games). They can do hundreds of actions every min. How many can you do?

I doubt many current olympians can beat those e-athletes in their respective games too.

But guess what, you can cringe all you want but you are not the one who is making the decision, are you?

Are we going to make playing the piano a sport too?

How about cup stacking?  Those guys are crazy fast but I would never call them athletes, either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_stacking

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Not only kids. The US govt agrees that e-sport is same as real sports and e-athletes can be classified as athletes for visa purposes.

I will need a bullet to the head. Just the idea that they might even consider adding esports to the Olympics makes me cringe. There is not even a comparison in the difference in talent between a real athlete and one of these "eathletes." It already makes me sick that the US passed that law.

"comparison in difference in talent" .. .i don't suppose you think you hold a candle to those e-athletes? Have you seen the koreans playing SC2 (another e-sport games). They can do hundreds of actions every min. How many can you do?

I doubt many current olympians can beat those e-athletes in their respective games too.

But guess what, you can cringe all you want but you are not the one who is making the decision, are you?

Isn't playing chess one already?

I am not so sure that they are losing faith, I think they are unsure of what needs to be next.  They originally took the EQ model imo, and looked at ways to make it more casual/quick.  Then, if anything new was coming out, that people were excited about, they adapted it to WoW.  

That is losing faith. They are no longer "sure" that MMORPG is needed to be next.

I don't really consider that losing faith...A unemployed person may know they need a job, but be unaware of what it will be.  They made too much off of WoW to turn their backs on mmos.  They haven't had a ton of reason to risk their cash cow until recently, and their subs dropping...I would think internally they have a number at which they only see upside to releasing another mmo, would of made no sense while WoW was at its peak imo.

I always wondered how many people  would be playing WoW if it was f2p...and how many would be playing LoL if it was p2p.

You have a very funny notion of what losing faith means.

I don't consider a company who is not pushing MMORPG as their #1 priority as having "faith" in it, particularly when they have already done a ton of work on a new one.

If we're going full retard on this, then how about those kids that do spelling bees?

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773
    Originally posted by Silax
    This just in!  Soccer more popular than Football!  ESPN now dropping NFL contracts for FIFA.  Americans thrilled.

Soccer? Oh you mean what most countries outside North America calls Football... (The other thing is referred to as "American Football".) Never mind that...

Yes football is, worldwide, far more popular than "American Football". (American football DOES have a niche following in some countries outside NA.)

Guess the same applies to LoL/WoW... Within a defined demographic WoW is definately king. Expand to worldwide scale: Not so much ;-)

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

Originally posted by Ginaz

If we're going full retard on this, then how about those kids that do spelling bees?

well, you are not the US govt, nor the Olympic committee, right? So your opinion really does not count much but theirs do.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Everyone is special and a athlete by todays standards....Well the olympics had to drop those wrestlers for a bit, it wasn't a traditional Olympic sport, but they ended up letting them back in.

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196

Last time I checked chess was not featured in the olympics. But you neglected to answer my question. Would you say playing the piano is a sport? Is playing the guitar a sport? Should singing be a sport? These are all talents people have that I would bet you couldn't hold a candle to. These people are talented at video games, that does not mean they should be classed as athletes.

You seem to be having difficulty seeing through your fanboism.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

Everyone is special and a athlete by todays standards....Well the olympics had to drop those wrestlers for a bit, it wasn't a traditional Olympic sport, but they ended up letting them back in.

Really?

I doubt you can beat Kasparov on chess, any of those korean pros on SC2, any of those e-athletes on LoL, and probably not even those kids who won spellling bees.

Last time I checked chess was not featured in the olympics. But you neglected to answer my question. Would you say playing the piano is a sport? Is playing the guitar a sport? Should singing be a sport? These are all talents people have that I would bet you couldn't hold a candle to. These people are talented at video games, that does not mean they should be classed as athletes.

You should ask the US govt and the olympic committee, i am not the one who is doing the classification.

You should ask the US govt and the olympic committee, i am not the one who is doing the classification.

Don't hold your breath. There are many sports that haven't been added and all of them require much more from the human body.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Call me skeptical but I have a real hard time believing 32.5 million people log into thsi game every day...First of all how could the servers even come close to handling anywhere near that number?...These gaming companies are always spewing out numbers that are totally false, im sure this is just one more.
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Call me skeptical but I have a real hard time believing 32.5 million people log into thsi game every day...First of all how could the servers even come close to handling anywhere near that number?...These gaming companies are always spewing out numbers that are totally false, im sure this is just one more.

They don't.  World of Tanks set a Guinness record with the most users on at one time with 800k on their Russian servers.  I have an account for LoL that I made a few years ago but I couldn't tell you the last time I played.  The OP is just trying to convince us that LoL is a superior game to WoW because it has more players.  I thought people used that argument against WoW the other way around?  In any case, WoW is pay2play while LoL is f2p.  If LoL was p2p I highly doubt it would come close to 70 million users.

well, you are not the US govt, nor the Olympic committee, right? So your opinion really does not count much but theirs do.

The reason the US government may classify e-sport participants as "athletes" is because the entry rules for these type of people is in a bit of a grey area now seeing as how current laws probably haven't been updated in years and don't reflect what these people are.  They're not entertainers and they're not athletes but they are in a competition so classifying them as "athletes" is more appropriate than as an entertainer. 

Oh, and FYI, e-sports aren't even on the radar of the Olympics and probably never will be.  If they are ever given a spot and e-sport "athletes" march out with swimmers, sprinters and weightlifters from their countries, then that's when the Olympics will have officially jumped the shark and becomes completely meaningless.  As I said earlier, fat ass bowlers are more worthy to be called athletes than anyone involved in e-sports.   Just because someone threw together the name e-sports, doesn't mean it is a sport.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

A fat, bald middle aged professional bowler is more of an athlete than an e-sport "athlete" ever will be.

BTW, World of Tanks claims to have around 70 million registered users, too, and had over 800k users playing at one time on the Russian servers.  I have a feeling they probably make more money than LoL.

http://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/46/world-tanks-sets-new-guinness-world-record/

Your first sentence is just plain wrong. I can assure you that top Korean players in starcraft are way more in shape and healthy than a fat, bald middle aged professional bowler. I guess you never knew they had gym in their training facilities with physical training schedule everyday? I guess you also never understood how much preparation needs to be done to be in a good mental and physical state to be able to perform at your best in every games for hours and hours in front of a giant crowd. You just see that kinda of stuff in Asia though, their methods are proven to work since they are the best of the best in nearly every eSport games.

What makes me sick is people who think that people who play curling are more deserving, hard working, in a better physical shape and have more "skill" than eSport players. Some of these "sports" are a joke in term of skill and physical shape needed to perform well. Like curling, archery, diving, equestrian, fencing, shooting just to name a few.

Don't hold your breath. There are many sports that haven't been added and all of them require much more from the human body.

Yeah just like some are already there and don't require as much from the body. See above. I can assure you that any eSport top player could easily be one of the best curling player in the world with just dedication. The opposite couldn't in a thousand years.
    Originally posted by SirFubar

A fat, bald middle aged professional bowler is more of an athlete than an e-sport "athlete" ever will be.

BTW, World of Tanks claims to have around 70 million registered users, too, and had over 800k users playing at one time on the Russian servers.  I have a feeling they probably make more money than LoL.

Your first sentence is just plain wrong. I can assure you that top Korean players in starcraft are way more in shape and healthy than a fat, bald middle aged professional bowler. I guess you never knew they had gym in their training facilities with physical training schedule everyday? I guess you also never understood how much preparation needs to be done to be in a good mental and physical state to be able to perform at your best in every games for hours and hours in front of a giant crowd. You just see that kinda of stuff in Asia though, their methods are proven to work since they are the best of the best in nearly every eSport games.

What makes me sick is people who think that people who play curling are more deserving, hard working, in a better physical shape and have more "skill" than eSport players. Some of these "sports" are a joke in term of skill and physical shape needed to perform well. Like curling, archery, diving, equestrian, fencing, shooting just to name a few.

Yeah just like some are already there and don't require as much from the body. See above. I can assure you that any eSport top player could easily be one of the best curling player in the world with just dedication. The opposite couldn't in a thousand years.

Please, pressing keys really fast doesn't make you an athlete.  I enjoy watching e-sports but I'll never see any of it as a real sport.  How about guys talk can talk really fast?  How about people who are really good at Candy Crush?  Are they athletes, too?  Good lord.image 

As I said before, just because someone decided to call it "e-SPORTS" doesn't mean its a real sport.  If you think it is, then fill your boots, just don't hold your breath expecting the rest of the world to regard it in the same way.

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/18/league-of-legends-infographic-highlights-eye-popping-numbers

70M registered users. Well, you say, do they actually play the game?

32.5M daily active users. That is almost half of the 70M register users play daily. That is almost 4x wow's sub numbers, and not every sub player play wow everyday.

1.3B hours played a month. Divided by 70M. On average each register user plays 18.6 hours a month.

And obviously LoL e-sport is big.

The only question is ... whether LoL is making more money than WoW? Since the daily active users is like 4x of the wow sub number, you only need each person (active daily ones, not register user) to spend like $3.75 a month to beat wow's sub revenue.

Anyone knows what is the average spent of a LoL user?

If your going by registered numbers then Runescape is the most popular with over 150 Million Registered members.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

So when can I expect to see you in the Olympics? Talk is cheap. Its easy to say it only takes dedication, but that isn't the case for most of the sports you listed. I'm willing to wager you have never tried any of the things you listed. Esports essentially comes down to pressing keys on a key board while sitting down in an air conditioned building staring at a computer screen. Anyone who thinks that sounds demanding on the human body needs help.

Please, pressing keys really fast doesn't make you an athlete.

Obviously the US govt disagree with you. A lot of koreans probably also disagree with you.

You can argue to your face blue, but it is just a matter of opinions, and guess whose opinion will have more pull? You .. a random dude on the internet, or the US govt.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

They don't.  World of Tanks set a Guinness record with the most users on at one time with 800k on their Russian servers.  I have an account for LoL that I made a few years ago but I couldn't tell you the last time I played.  The OP is just trying to convince us that LoL is a superior game to WoW because it has more players.  I thought people used that argument against WoW the other way around?  In any case, WoW is pay2play while LoL is f2p.  If LoL was p2p I highly doubt it would come close to 70 million users.

You're confusing peak concurrent users (PCU) with daily active users (DAU). 800k for WoT is  peak concurrent users - the highest number of users online at the same time ever for their servers. That 32M number is the total number of users that play LoL each day. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Every one of those sports "bowling, curling, archery, fencing, shooting..." has a signficant physical component, unlike esports.  Every single one of those players likely also stay in shape.  Staying in shape has the exact same significant as the e-sports on cognitiveand physical abilities as the e-sport and the sport itself demands greater physical shape than the e-sport.

The demands of the sport itself are what makes someone an athlete, not necessarily what they do to help with that. 

So yes all those sports you mentioned are more deserving than any esport athlete.   Every single one requires more from the human body than any physical stressor involved in e-sport.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

You're confusing peak concurrent users (PCU) with daily active users (DAU). 800k for WoT is  peak concurrent users - the highest number of users online at the same time ever for their servers. That 32M number is the total number of users that play LoL each day. 

The 32m number is monthly players.  Daily they get about 12m.  Peak concurrent users across all their servers is about 3 million.

http://majorleagueoflegends.s3.amazonaws.com/lol_infographic.png

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by dave6660
    Originally posted by Loktofeit Originally posted by Ginaz Originally posted by Theocritus Call me skeptical but I have a real hard time believing 32.5 million people log into thsi game every day...First of all how could the servers even come close to handling anywhere near that number?...These gaming companies are always spewing out numbers that are totally false, im sure this is just one more.
    The 32m number is monthly players.  Daily they get about 12m.  Peak concurrent users across all their servers is about 3 million.

http://majorleagueoflegends.s3.amazonaws.com/lol_infographic.png

It doesn't matter if it's peak concurrent users, users per minute, or active users per month. LoL has more players than WoW.

Some part of this has to be the F2P nature of the game. Players can log in and play whenever they want. However, it can't be all of it. There are alternatives to playing LoL, and some of them are free, and LoL still dominates in terms of numbers.

I think the point of this thread is that we can expect things in the future to look something like LoL, even in MMORPGs because LoL has shown itself to be a major success and is doing something right.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.