Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games we may never see because they have MMOs

NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Warcraft 4, Neverwinter Nights 3, Knights of the Old Republic 3, and I have serious fears about the next Elder Scrolls installment.

My main question here and what I would like to discuss is what if you heard Fallout, Grand Theft Auto, Mass Effect, Starcraft, or any other popular franchise was announcing a MMORPG. Would you be excited, disappointed or both at the prospect of going MMO? The main concern being other games will not be developed because of the MMO.

I wish we still got the games I listed at the start of this post instead of having to compromise franchises into MMOs. I feel like there is still a huge market for the non-MMO games to exist in and sadly they do not get made.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

I'm pretty sure that's a false cause; just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it will never happen.  I think it's really up to the game studios to decide "hey, why not go on and make another [insert favorite IP here]  game, even though there's that one MMO going"... along with a number of other factors including the market, etc.

With all the news about WoW subs on the decline, I wouldn't be surprised to see Warcraft 4 at some point.

/2c image

edit: I don't think it's even necessarily true that an MMO must fail in order for there to be a non-MMO sequel... so... ignore that comment about WoW.  Gah!

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I wouldn't mind another Warcraft RTS :D
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I am not too concern if some sequels do not get made. I thought people here actually like innovation instead of clamoring for more and more sequels.

There is enough entertainment in the world anyway.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Final Fantasy has 2 MMOs and is still churning out single player FFs. Warhammer also had an MMO and still pooped out some RTSs, FPSs, TPSs and so on.   So...me thinks the point here is moot.
    Originally posted by elocke
    Final Fantasy has 2 MMOs and is still churning out single player FFs. Warhammer also had an MMO and still pooped out some RTSs, FPSs, TPSs and so on.   So...me thinks the point here is moot.

BTW, warhammer quest is a great turn-based iOS dungeon romp. A bit short .. but good nevertheless (another example of games don't have to be long to be fun).

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

What about games that we might actually see because MMOs and multiplayer gaming are an expected thing now?

Multiplayer Fallout would probably be cool.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by lizardbones

What about games that we might actually see because MMOs and multiplayer gaming are an expected thing now?

I'd love to see more smaller scale quality multiplayer games I could play with friends. Things like Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, where you can also edit and build your own worlds.

Things like a multiplayer Skyrim would be awesome (yeah I know there's a mod, but it's quite crappy).

My computer is better than yours.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Please, no.

Co-op games maybe, MMOs definite no.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Please, no.

If ES 6 doesn't release with a co-op mode I'd be shocked.

Please, no.

many MMOs are more or less Co-op games anyway.

I would like a SP turn-based fallout on my tablet though.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

KOTOR 3 may end up being made, as EA have acquired rights to make Star Wars games now, and they own Bioware, the only worry now though is that it may not be high quality, as it will be developed by EAware, more than Bioware, with the Doctors quitting.

FF XI did not stop FF XII and FF XIII from being made, so there is still hope of games being made even with MMOs, but less likely due to developers concentrating on the MMOs than making new games

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Originally posted by nilden

Warcraft 4, Neverwinter Nights 3, Knights of the Old Republic 3, and I have serious fears about the next Elder Scrolls installment.

My main question here and what I would like to discuss is what if you heard Fallout, Grand Theft Auto, Mass Effect, Starcraft, or any other popular franchise was announcing a MMORPG. Would you be excited, disappointed or both at the prospect of going MMO? The main concern being other games will not be developed because of the MMO.

I wish we still got the games I listed at the start of this post instead of having to compromise franchises into MMOs. I feel like there is still a huge market for the non-MMO games to exist in and sadly they do not get made.

well in the case of elder scrolls.  Bethseda are currently working on fallout 4, set in the Boston area.  After that they are making TES6.  ESO isn't being made by bethseda.

As for games I would like as MMOs.

Chivalry - would be like a medieval planetside

DOOM 2 - hell on earth

Elite - but thats happening anyway

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

The communities main complaint with SWTOR was that is was KoTOR 3.  I said it during beta.  The VA story and side quests would feel like speed bumps to MMO gamers, and they did.  I'm not gonna call the space combat "on rails", I'm gonna call it what it has always been a "Turret Shooter Mini Game".  This is something that KoTOR has always had.

I don't believe that Fallout Online is dead.  I expect that Interplay will repurpose the work that was done and release it, when and if they can.  Bethesda fought for control of the IP, I still expect ZeniMax Online to do something with it.

True MMOs are resource hogs, but soon the industry will learn how to manage the demand and churn out MMO for the price of single player games.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

Originally posted by lizardbones What about games that we might actually see because MMOs and multiplayer gaming are an expected thing now? Multiplayer Fallout would probably be cool.
    Please, no.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about MMORPGs. More along the lines of player run servers. Basically what's possible with Minecraft. Though I expect if stuff like this does happen, all of the "servers" will be run on the developers' servers.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

im actually more concerned that we won't get an ES co-op game than anything else.

i really wish they had released a co-op for Oblivion and Skyrim tbh.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Do we really need a warcraft 4 or a dragon age part 26 ?

I'd rather see these titles get ruined by mmos and new titles with new stories created. I hate seeing movies remade. I don't really want to see all my old favorites become tired old games that have just been hollowed out so ppl can dump money into them.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Do we really need a warcraft 4 or a dragon age part 26 ?

I'd rather see these titles get ruined by mmos and new titles with new stories created. I hate seeing movies remade. I don't really want to see all my old favorites become tired old games that have just been hollowed out so ppl can dump money into them.

Depends.

If they are just re-skinning old game mechanics then yeah. However if Warcraft 4 was pushing new innovative mechanics within the RTS genre then yes please, give me Warcraft 4. Same for Dragon Age 26. :)

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I want a warcraft single player rpg with some rts gameplay in it, kind of like how Brutal Legend mixed rpg with rts elements.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by goldtoof
    Originally posted by nilden Warcraft 4, Neverwinter Nights 3, Knights of the Old Republic 3, and I have serious fears about the next Elder Scrolls installment. My main question here and what I would like to discuss is what if you heard Fallout, Grand Theft Auto, Mass Effect, Starcraft, or any other popular franchise was announcing a MMORPG. Would you be excited, disappointed or both at the prospect of going MMO? The main concern being other games will not be developed because of the MMO. I wish we still got the games I listed at the start of this post instead of having to compromise franchises into MMOs. I feel like there is still a huge market for the non-MMO games to exist in and sadly they do not get made.
    well in the case of elder scrolls.  Bethseda are currently working on fallout 4, set in the Boston area.  After that they are making TES6.  ESO isn't being made by bethseda.

That is speculation and rumors.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Elder Scrolls single player  will be fine. It's not Bethesda's main studio that's working on ESO and I would be hugely shocked if ESO makes more money than Skyrim.

I would *love* to see NWN3 and don't see why that crap F2P MMO would stop them if they want to make it. I'm not sure who owns the rights now though.

KOTOR3 made by current Bioware and Warcraft 4 get a big "meh.." from me. If Obsidian made KOTOR3 though I would be all over that.

Originally posted by Nitth
    Originally posted by goldtoof
    Originally posted by nilden Warcraft 4, Neverwinter Nights 3, Knights of the Old Republic 3, and I have serious fears about the next Elder Scrolls installment. My main question here and what I would like to discuss is what if you heard Fallout, Grand Theft Auto, Mass Effect, Starcraft, or any other popular franchise was announcing a MMORPG. Would you be excited, disappointed or both at the prospect of going MMO? The main concern being other games will not be developed because of the MMO. I wish we still got the games I listed at the start of this post instead of having to compromise franchises into MMOs. I feel like there is still a huge market for the non-MMO games to exist in and sadly they do not get made.

That is speculation and rumors.

Fallout 4 is definitely "in development". As to the setting, whether or not the Tunnel Snakes will make a return or anything else about it, nobody publicly knows.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

I don't care what IP the next MMO is from, or if they make their own IP.  I want a game that is fresh and new, not the same old rehashed polished turds we saw in its predecessors.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    I wouldn't worry about it. Franchises that aren't stale and still sell well will be fine. If a publisher can make money on a SP game AND rake in MMO revnue, they will do both. Bethesda, for example, has a sweet thing going IF ESO garners a good crowd. Their SP games are basically money-printing machines so they won't just ignore them. More is better. 
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    A new TES games is definitely coming out despite the mmo bring produced at the moment.
    On the other hand I am very sad that there is no warcraft 4 yet. Warcraft series games are amazing. Would kill for wc4 and I am pretty sure it will come at some point. Warcraft is one of the biggest computer Is, there is no way wow is the last game in the series.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by nilden

I see no reason why Bethesda would quit working on their premier franchise no matter how well ESO does. Especially considering the success of their last release within that franchise. ESo is being developed by a separate studio entirely.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson