Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is EQ nostalgia clouding people's judgement?

Is it just me or does it seem like most of the people looking forward to EQN just want EQ resurrected.  I'm indifferent on the game right now, so this isn't a slant on it, but I keep getting the impression that a lot of posters are suffering from a serious case of EQ nostalgia and letting it cloud their judgement. I wonder just how long they really would play the game they are hoping EQN delivers.  I remember the good ole days of MMORPG's as well as anybody, and have very fond memories of that time, but I don't know if trying to bring that style of game play back is a formula for success or a recipe for disaster.

Comments

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

How is that different from when any other game is being released? It seems people want SWG, EQ1, AC, or DAOC resurrected.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Most of us want something different, not old EQ. The game obviously won't be old EQ because it isn't mobs spawn in same place over and over waiting for us to kill them.

Most people who want a change are unhappy with the current games and this is one of the few games out there that is saying they plan on changing the genre.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by Ender4

Most of us want something different, not old EQ. The game obviously won't be old EQ because it isn't mobs spawn in same place over and over waiting for us to kill them.

Most people who want a change are unhappy with the current games and this is one of the few games out there that is saying they plan on changing the genre.

True, EQN (with what we've heard about it) is about as far from EQ1 as you could get. In fact, most of the complaints about EQN is from those that wanted a remake of EQ1 (or don't like the art design). As a grizzled EQ1 vet, I'm happy they are trying to be innovative and bring new design elements to mmorpgs, as many of the old ways would feel stale now. (Though I do wish some of the things that gave us that EQ feeling would be in it-difficulty level, forced/encouraged grouping, community builders, etc. We don't know how they plan to implement their pillars/ideas, but i doubt they will go a difficult, slow progressing route and alienate the majority casual audience.)

Though I do wish some of the things that gave us that EQ feeling would be in it-difficulty level, forced/encouraged grouping, community builders, etc. We don't know how they plan to implement their pillars/ideas, but i doubt they will go a difficult, slow progressing route and alienate the majority casual audience

You should be happy in about a week then :). The last podcast I listened to mentioned how they are going to strongly reward people for group play and that they are going to give out info on exactly that in about a week.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

Though I do wish some of the things that gave us that EQ feeling would be in it-difficulty level, forced/encouraged grouping, community builders, etc. We don't know how they plan to implement their pillars/ideas, but i doubt they will go a difficult, slow progressing route and alienate the majority casual audience

You should be happy in about a week then :). The last podcast I listened to mentioned how they are going to strongly reward people for group play and that they are going to give out info on exactly that in about a week.

That is good news. The fact that there is no reason to group in most games is what makes me grow bored with them so fast. Also, the fast progression. I had never even maxed out a character in EQ (every time I got close an expansion would up the level cap). I've never been a huge spg fan, so having it ridiculously hard to find good peeps to group with because most would rather solo, really got me off gaming lately.

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840

Yea cause that's all EQ was about right ...

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by Sixpax

Is it just me or does it seem like most of the people looking forward to EQN just want EQ resurrected.  I'm indifferent on the game right now, so this isn't a slant on it, but I keep getting the impression that a lot of posters are suffering from a serious case of EQ nostalgia and letting it cloud their judgement. I wonder just how long they really would play the game they are hoping EQN delivers.  I remember the good ole days of MMORPG's as well as anybody, and have very fond memories of that time, but I don't know if trying to bring that style of game play back is a formula for success or a recipe for disaster.

I would have thought that the impression your really getting is that many (when I say many I mean those who are shouting above those with a more balanced view) who are looking for a resurrected EQ experience have been left bitterly disappointed (Supposedly).

EQ nurtured my growing interest in MMO's, yet while I played the game in it's early days I could see a huge need to "Change" the way we experienced the game. I thought it would be amazing if we had no downtime, or that I had my own private dungeon to explore, or even that I was to avoid losing my hard earned lvls via avoidable deaths.

Now I also believe in a more mature game, with a need to instill some core values again, but not bring the past alive but to invigorate it with ideas from the present. I don't want to play a game I left years ago because it just wasn't keeping pace with todays tech, I want to play a game that is still within the EQ world, has familar surroundings and ideals, yet with bang uptodate gameplay mechanics.

Perhaps your imposing your own short comings for the game on everyone else that wants to see a new EQ.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

In answer to the question posed in the subject:  Yes.  EQ nostalgia has been clouding old EQ player's judgement for years.  Honestly I never understand how they can have such a completely different perspective from when I played it.  I played the game for years very hardcore doing endgame raiding in the top guild on my server and my experiences are just entirely different.  The game was revolutionary at the time, but now it's just boring and tedious.

As for people looking forward to EQN the most wanting EQ resurrected, I disagree.  Seems like the opposite to me.  The people wanting old school EQ were extremely disappointed by what they saw at the reveal.  I think most people realize that the game isn't going to be old school EQ.  There doesn't seem to be much similarities between the original EQ and EQ:Next aside from the namesake and some the lore/locations.  The people looking forward to the game are likely just those that are interested in it's features at this point and it looks like a very promising game to some people.

• MetrobiusMetrobius Member UncommonPosts: 96
    What I would like to see is a bullet list of the features and mechanics that the die-hard eq oldschoolers would agree SHOULD be updated.
    Originally posted by Metrobius
    What I would like to see is a bullet list of the features and mechanics that the die-hard eq oldschoolers would agree SHOULD be updated.

- Hard game requiring grouping for most content.

- Death penalty that stings, making you want to avoid it.

- Huge world with multiple starting area for different race.

- Race and classes that matters ( some RPG in an mmorpg )

- Classes mechanics that support each others, be it trinity or something even better but you have to feel like you are needed.

- Long progressions, it have to take more than a week to reach cap level.

- No hand holding and sparkling arrows telling you where to go.

- Enough spells that you have to choose which one to equip before you start the fight.

That's what made EQ to me, now what I want is all of it but better.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    good list

Originally posted by Azoth
    Yea cause that's all EQ was about right ...

I never said it was. They have clearly shown that the entire backbone of this game is different than EQ's was though. There is no way that this game can be just like EQ given how they have described things. They can take a lot of the concepts that we enjoyed in EQ and put them in the game, but it is going to be a game that is different than anything else we've seen in the genre.

• RoenickRoenick Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by Azoth

- Hard game requiring grouping for most content.

- Death penalty that stings, making you want to avoid it.

- Huge world with multiple starting area for different race.

- Race and classes that matters ( some RPG in an mmorpg )

- Classes mechanics that support each others, be it trinity or something even better but you have to feel like you are needed.

- Long progressions, it have to take more than a week to reach cap level.

- No hand holding and sparkling arrows telling you where to go.

- Enough spells that you have to choose which one to equip before you start the fight.

That's what made EQ to me, now what I want is all of it but better.

Add open world dungeons (no instancing) and I'm in.

• MetrobiusMetrobius Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Azoth:
    Thats a lost f features you want. I want a list of things about old sxhool eq that you would want to change, or at least be willing accept changes in.
  • It isn't nostalgia for me. I'd rather play EQ than anything else out right now. That is, if a new time locked/progression server was released.
    Azoth:
    Thats a lost f features you want. I want a list of things about old sxhool eq that you would want to change, or at least be willing accept changes in.

You are looking for compromises while I want upgrades. I liked EQ for what it was and would love a true successor to it. I am not saying that I wouldn't like another game, I played pretty much every mmo that came out in the last 15 years, my top 2 are still UO and EQ, for very different reasons.

I might like EQN for the game it will be, but from what we know it certainly will not be a true successor to EQ.

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591

I played EQ1 for 2 years during the Luclin and POK era. I wasn't  in a raiding guild but i had a friend in a uberguild that got me into the game  and guided me. Most of the time i spent with a friend i meet on orc hill in Faywelith. The game was truly alien to me at the time since it was my first mmo. Looking back i don't feel so bad for being lost since most people  point to eq1 as hardcore as it gets. What i liked about the game is that it was nothing I ever played. It required making friends to advance, so much so that you couldn't even reach max level without some help (which i never did due to needing too much help). 

EQ1 is an old game with old mechanics. Limitations of technology gave the game unique qualities but you could tell the devs tried to replicate the Dungeons and Dragons experience. I had lots fun but the genere and technology have advanced since then. New tech will drive game design, procedural generation, voxels and more advanced forms of AI. Try to imagine trying to create a first person shooter during the 8bit era. Technology can drive game design greatly. With EQN SOE is trying to reinvent the mmo and they have the new technology to make that leap. 

EQ1 was fun but i look forward to the reinvention EQN is shooting for.

• DalanonDalanon Member UncommonPosts: 126

Everquest was a lot of good memories, but of course not everything worked great in EQ.  Hopefully Everquest Next will find a nice middle ground between a challenging time sink, and a cookie cutter theme park.  I'm not sure how you do that really, and the results would be slightly different depending on the person you ask, but I think the industry is due for a shift to something more balanced when it comes to challenge and accessibility.

Not all who wander are lost...

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Sixpax

Is it just me or does it seem like most of the people looking forward to EQN just want EQ resurrected. 

I keep saying the same thing about ESO and how its just DaoC players wanting it back...which they wont get.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• PsistormPsistorm Member UncommonPosts: 46

Given as I only played EQ2 - and loved it, mind you - I can say it's not EQ nostalgia. I already pretty much acknowledged the fact that this game is NOT Everquest in any way. It feels way different, and it will have a different concept, a different look, a different everything, pretty much.

Why am I a little excited for this game then? Because it might just have enough merit to stand on its own, and to deliver a serious, triple-A sandbox title to the MMO industry. And even if the game itself has a good chance of turning out bad, it might get more people interested into sandboxes, which in turn might prompt more innovative titles to be developed and people experimenting more with the concept.

After WoW was a huge success in the themepark-style MMO world, we all saw how everyone attempted to duplicate the ideas, and how a LOT of design choices were integrated into those games. Maybe EQN triggers something similar ultimately, and finally gives us a shift away from rigid structures and back to things like an actual player driven economy, important crafters, an evolving world etc etc.

I'm not saying EQN will be a success. But it CAN be one if SOE make the right choices. Whether they will or not remains to be seen, but I might at least watch, try the beta, and maybe see how the game feels once it's out there.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

No, what we wanted was E V E R Q U E S T.  Next.

Get the emphasis?  Everquest.

This game is not Everquest, only by the largest stretch of the imagination could you call this game EQ, and only because they will name areas after EQ cities, and areas, etc.  Outside of that its a totally different game in every aspect of it.

The game will fail, of that i am confident.

Also, very few of us wanted EQ resurrected.  I'm really sick of that card getting played.  We just want some developers to recognize that maybe, just maybe, some of the core tenets (i said SOME) of the old games like EQ and DAOC had some merit.

Unfortunately everyone is so busy playing "out with the old, in with the new" that they've thrown the baby out with the bathwater.  This is why i know the game will tank hard.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    It may be clouded. In short though, it should not be tethered to the EQ franchise and should be namd something completely different. IMHO the name is being used for advertising and should be dropped. This game is not Everquest at all.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Hrimnir

You may think EQN will fail as an EQ successor but to see what combination of features they'll have and, if they pull it off, say it will fail is a bit disingenuous.

You may want it to fail, but a smoothed out Minecraft with an open class system, adaptable NPCs and content that the players fight for/build up/tear down? Sorry brotha, it will, at the very least, be a mild success. I imagine imagine it will be much more than that and Landmark will be a big hit before EQN.
  • RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

People want EQN because it isn't WoW, Rift, SWTOR, or < insert themepark game here >

If I want EQ nostalgia, I'll play EQ (which I keep installed).  I want something "new".

It just so happens that that "new" is in Norrath.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • lolunaticlolunatic Member Posts: 108
    to answer the title, YES.-