Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW is an EQ clone

2»

Comments

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Fair enough.

They still aren't much alike if you have played both~.

I mean both fantasy settings. Both have raids and dungeons. WoW really revamped the genre though with the heavy questing, stupid instancing and battlegrounds (which have to be in every game ever made now it seems).

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    It is EQ clone. Period. But Blizzard takes my money, not SOE, so...
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Originally posted by Ender4  

A reskinned game is not a clone .. the skin is different, by definition.
      We have a very different opinion on what clone means then. You take WoW and keep it exactly like it is but reskin everything so it is all about dinosaurs instead. It is still WoW~. Just changing the skin does not change that fact.
    Yeh .. we have very different opinion.

Dinosaurs are clones of elves? Well, if that is that case, are you a clone of a sheep?

Your definition is way too literal and not how just about anyone in the industry uses it, so just understand that not many are going to agree with you. If two games are 100% the same except that in one they have elves and in the other they have dinosaurs almost everyone is going to call that a reskinned clone. It is the GAMES that are cloned, not the characters in the game.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

A reskinned game is not a clone .. the skin is different, by definition.
      We have a very different opinion on what clone means then. You take WoW and keep it exactly like it is but reskin everything so it is all about dinosaurs instead. It is still WoW~. Just changing the skin does not change that fact.
    Yeh .. we have very different opinion.

Dinosaurs are clones of elves? Well, if that is that case, are you a clone of a sheep?

Your definition is way too literal and now how just about anyone in the industry uses it, so just understand that not many are going to agree with you. If two games are 100% the same except that in one they have elves and in the other they have dinosaurs almost everyone is going to call that a reskinned clone. It is the GAMES that are cloned, not the characters in the game.

You make the erroneous assumption that i am here to get people to agree with me. I speak my mind, not others'.

So Bioshock is a clone of DOOM? You get to shoot stuff in both, you know.

100% the same except the characters? You just admit that TOR is not a wow-clone. The zones are also different. How about the use of instances? That is also different. There is no "personal" instance in WOW.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by vorathian
    so stop calling everything a wow clone.

This doesn't change anything at all. First of all, WoW added a lot that EQ didn't have. Second, the things it progressed were arguably bad for longevity of the genre (streamlining everything into simplicity. think: auction houses, instances, match-making, etc).

But most importantly, the games that are dubbed WoW clones exist because of WoW. They're copying WoW, not EQ. Just because WoW was derived from EQ in a strict sense doesn't mean you can't call a game a WoW clone. WoW was hugely successful, so games were made that tried to tap in on dat cash. They're WoW clones.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

let's face it, SWTOR is a WOW clone.

Let's say I had a clone of myself, but he wore different clothes, and a mustache in an attempt to differentiate himself. He is still my clone.

In SWTOR's case the clothes and mustache is the setting and different art assets, but at its core it is a clone, plain & simple.

To argue that is pointless and just a cheap ploy for forum post count in order to break 15k.

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

The big difference between a WoW clone and an EQ clone:

WoW, the main EQ clone, is a much better game than EQ in every aspect, more things to do, more accessible to everyone from casual to very hardcore.

WoW clones are all, until now, just bad games which failed to imitate the "master", even less to do better.

WoW did better than EQ. No WoW clone did better than WoW. That's the difference.

My computer is better than yours.

The key is when you play the games do the systems in place feel about the same to you? EQ and WoW really feel nothing at all alike. The leveling is different, the character progression is different, the dungeons are different, the way PvP is handled is different.

well, people look for different thing in games.

I look at combat systems and settings/IP. To me, Marvel heroes, and STO are nothing like WoW. Driving a star ship is different than "driving" a mage.

So what if all these games have quest hubs. All FPSes have shootings, is Dishonored a Bioshock clone? All steath games have guards that can discover you. Is Splinter Cell a clone of Deus Ex?

Dishonored is not a bioshock clone because they're not similar. Dishonored can be played like a stealth game, in which you're given a number of different ways to complete missions. Bioshock is nothing like that.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by Urvan

For starters I've always been telling everyone that and its pretty obvious when you compare WoW to EQ2 except EQ2 is better in many ways cus it has stuff like more interactive crafting, player homes that are extremely customizable and realism graphics over WoW's toony graphics.  Also, from what I hear WoW uses EQ2's original (now moded to death by Blizzard) game engine so yes, it is a clone.  However, coming on here to state that make you hardly any better than those who keep comparing games to it!

Thanks for letting us know something some of us, if not most of us, already know, ttfn.

The housing and guild halls in everquest 2 make the world feel empty and all cities are ghost towns.

Originally posted by Neo_Viper

The big difference between a WoW clone and an EQ clone:

WoW, the main EQ clone, is a much better game than EQ in every aspect, more things to do, more accessible to everyone from casual to very hardcore.

WoW clones are all, until now, just bad games which failed to imitate the "master", even less to do better.

WoW did better than EQ. No WoW clone did better than WoW. That's the difference.

That's incidental. If SWTOR suddenly became more popular than WoW, we wouldn't stop calling it a WoW clone.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Nevulus

WoW borrowed heavily from a bunch of games when it was made, it didn't really use EQ as its base.

Blizzard employee admitting EQ was the base of WoW:

http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/06/09/j-allen-brack-everquest-is-the-big-foundation-of-world-of-war/

Brack has no compunctions about citing EverQuest as a huge influence on World of Warcraft, even going so far as to call it "the big foundation" of the game Blizzard made.

yet every single aspect of WoW is completely different than EQ.  They took very general.  Class based system, crafting, levels, raids, dungeons, etc.

'you gain in power and get new abilities as you level' is much different than 'when you gain a level you place a talent point in one of three trees to gain new abilities or enhance old ones'

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by Nevulus

WoW borrowed heavily from a bunch of games when it was made, it didn't really use EQ as its base.

Blizzard employee admitting EQ was the base of WoW:

http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/06/09/j-allen-brack-everquest-is-the-big-foundation-of-world-of-war/

Brack has no compunctions about citing EverQuest as a huge influence on World of Warcraft, even going so far as to call it "the big foundation" of the game Blizzard made.

Using something as a foundation doesn't mean cloning it.  I could build a building on one foundation, tear it down, and build an entirely new unique building on that same foundation.  That doesn't mean the buildings are clones of one another.

Everquest is pretty much the reason (at least for themepark MMOs) this genre became so popular, and WoW did in fact build off that success.  Sure, they took some of the basic elements of Everquest that made it a success, but they streamlined it better and the final product came out to be something entirely different in almost every way.  Hardly a clone.

I also think most of the things people refer to as a WoW clone aren't clones.  The only games that might be questionable here are SW:TOR, Runes of Magic, and Rift as they have SO many similarities in gameplay elements and features, but even then they probably have enough unique stuff to distinguish themselves from being clones.

This discussion has been closed.