Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS4 will breathe new life into the MMORPG genre, gonna be fun times!

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by dave6660

The "nobody will be suffering from lag" part was funny.

I still don't see what consoles can do better than PC's as far as MMORPG's.  I've been playing PC games on a big screen TV for years now.

Its the controller. For some games (driving, flying, sports...), it works better than mouse & keyboard. You don't have the option to alt-tab either, which oddly makes my gaming sessions lengthier. It is somehow more relaxed.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I still don't see what consoles can do better than PC's as far as MMORPG's.  I've been playing PC games on a big screen TV for years now.

To reach the console players?

To side-step any software technical issues?

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by immodium

As long as the console servers are separated from the PC servers, I couldn't care less. I just don't want the console crowd to invade games I play.

And EQ Next has never been announced on consoles yet. There have only been assumptions and theories by some gaming web sites, nothing more.

Why wouldn't you want console gamers to invade your game? PC players are just as annoying. :)

Compared to places like (e.g.) XBox Live, the worse MMO communities look like they are full of highly intelligent people.

Yes it has got a bad community, thankfully i have a PS3 as well as my PC and don't have to put up with Xbox live.

To make it short, the MMO community is already bad enough, it doesn't need to be made worse by the invasion of console teenagers.

This above line makes you just as bad as the so called teenagers you are moaning about, stones and glass houses come to mind.

Not to mention that keyboard+mouse is infinitely superior to a gamepad to control a MMO, and it would create imbalances and massive whining from the console crowd resulting in dumbing down the game to adapt to them.

Total fabrication on your part lol, you have no proof of the part i've highlighted in red.

Think you will find that the average age of console gamer's is around the 30 years of age mark.

How old are you?

Older than the age you mention, and most likely older than you (my age is in my profile).

Originally posted by vmoped

As long as the console servers are separated from the PC servers, I couldn't care less. I just don't want the console crowd to invade games I play. A MMORPG which releases and shares the same servers between PC and console gamers will be a MMORPG I won't even try.

And EQ Next has never been announced on consoles yet. There have only been assumptions and theories by some gaming web sites, nothing more.

The irony of this statement is the ffxi has one of the best communities and is shared across consoles and pcs, ffxiv also has a great community as well.  Regardless of the game's mechanics, the communities are fabulous, regardless of what hardware the player uses.  Hardware does not correlate with personality mate.  I have met awesome people on both, and not so awesome people on both.  Assuming one crowd is more mature than the other is just plan ignorance.  People once tried that with races as well...

Cheers!

You possibly have been lucky with your guild there, but my experience with those games was pretty horrible - it made WoW's barren chat sound like a highly intellectual discussion between two scientists.

Hardware does correlate with personality, and I'm definitely not your "mate". Consoles = easily accessible, plug in and play. PC = harder to configure and to maintain properly (even if that has become easier past 2005). People with not a clue about how a computer works and who have a low education level play console games. Not saying that about people posting here, but in general.

Sorry, I don't enjoy the company of the "LOL WTF ROFLCOPTER" crowd, and console gamers would only make that even worse than it is today. I hope developers will keep servers separated, and I will petition for that on the forums of future games I'm interested in.

To make it clear, I don't talk about discrimination here. I have no problem with console gamers having access to MMORPGs too, as long as it doesn't mean the PC version being dumbed down to adapt to consoles. I just don't want those people in my community (=server), just as I don't want the nightclub crowd and its loud music to invade my favorite pub and it's celtic, jazz and rock music. Different people, different tastes, different places. I don't force people to come to my pub, and I won't accept people trying to force me to go to their nightclub. If a game tries that, I will just not give it any of my money.

I'd rather put up with a hundred console players then just one ridiculous, elitist, immature person such as yourself. People with your snobbish, childish attitude make me ashamed to be a PC gamer sometimes.

Hate to break it to you pal, but communities from games which came along years before Xbox  LIVE & other console networks generally make the people on those services appear positively angelic by comparison. You have absolutely no room whatsoever to hold yourself above anyone who chooses, either by preference or circumstance, a different gaming platform than yourself.

I've met some arseholes on XBL, but people like you piss me off more than they ever have or could. If making MMOs accessible to console gamers means I don't have to deal with people such as yourself in them, then I say that day cannot come soon enough.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830
    Originally posted by Silverchild
    Originally posted by Hatefull

Agreed. I want nothing to do with a console in an MMO with me. Defiance and FFXIV have proven (to me anyway) they do not mix well. Give the consoles their own server, let PC have theirs.

Whats wrong with it?

I play FFXIV and I enjoy the fact that I can play it, on my PC, with friends that own it on PS3.

So far, its only been "we dont want console MMO, console has bad community".... thats it? No other reason?

My biggest gripe is communication. Since you mentioned FFXIV. Have you ran dungeons where no one talks? You try to give instructions and ask if everyone understood and get no answer? I tanked several dungeons in FFXIV and was wondering why I wasnt getting any responses. Then I remembered, I was with some that had the console version while I was on my PC and chatting is not as easy for console users as it is on PC.

Now thats not a reason to not make MMORPGs for console, nor is it a reason not to play one that is cross platformed. But it is a drawback if you want some organization in group content where every one has easy access to some form of communication with each other. Those little keypads for consoles suck. I know, I have one. :)

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Its the controller. For some games (driving, flying, sports...), it works better than mouse & keyboard. You don't have the option to alt-tab either, which oddly makes my gaming sessions lengthier. It is somehow more relaxed.

I own a game pad, flight stick, racing wheel and an arcade fighting stick for my computer.  These devices are not console exclusive.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

That's not better, that's a different audience.  Consoles don't have their own technical issues?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by Swedish_Chef
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

As long as the console servers are separated from the PC servers, I couldn't care less. I just don't want the console crowd to invade games I play.

Why wouldn't you want console gamers to invade your game? PC players are just as annoying. :)

Compared to places like (e.g.) XBox Live, the worse MMO communities look like they are full of highly intelligent people.

Yes it has got a bad community, thankfully i have a PS3 as well as my PC and don't have to put up with Xbox live.

To make it short, the MMO community is already bad enough, it doesn't need to be made worse by the invasion of console teenagers.

This above line makes you just as bad as the so called teenagers you are moaning about, stones and glass houses come to mind.

Not to mention that keyboard+mouse is infinitely superior to a gamepad to control a MMO, and it would create imbalances and massive whining from the console crowd resulting in dumbing down the game to adapt to them.

Total fabrication on your part lol, you have no proof of the part i've highlighted in red.

Think you will find that the average age of console gamer's is around the 30 years of age mark.

How old are you?

Older than the age you mention, and most likely older than you (my age is in my profile).

Originally posted by vmoped

As long as the console servers are separated from the PC servers, I couldn't care less. I just don't want the console crowd to invade games I play. A MMORPG which releases and shares the same servers between PC and console gamers will be a MMORPG I won't even try.

The irony of this statement is the ffxi has one of the best communities and is shared across consoles and pcs, ffxiv also has a great community as well.  Regardless of the game's mechanics, the communities are fabulous, regardless of what hardware the player uses.  Hardware does not correlate with personality mate.  I have met awesome people on both, and not so awesome people on both.  Assuming one crowd is more mature than the other is just plan ignorance.  People once tried that with races as well...

Cheers!

You possibly have been lucky with your guild there, but my experience with those games was pretty horrible - it made WoW's barren chat sound like a highly intellectual discussion between two scientists.

Hardware does correlate with personality, and I'm definitely not your "mate". Consoles = easily accessible, plug in and play. PC = harder to configure and to maintain properly (even if that has become easier past 2005). People with not a clue about how a computer works and who have a low education level play console games. Not saying that about people posting here, but in general.

Sorry, I don't enjoy the company of the "LOL WTF ROFLCOPTER" crowd, and console gamers would only make that even worse than it is today. I hope developers will keep servers separated, and I will petition for that on the forums of future games I'm interested in.

To make it clear, I don't talk about discrimination here. I have no problem with console gamers having access to MMORPGs too, as long as it doesn't mean the PC version being dumbed down to adapt to consoles. I just don't want those people in my community (=server), just as I don't want the nightclub crowd and its loud music to invade my favorite pub and it's celtic, jazz and rock music. Different people, different tastes, different places. I don't force people to come to my pub, and I won't accept people trying to force me to go to their nightclub. If a game tries that, I will just not give it any of my money.

I'd rather put up with a hundred console players then just one ridiculous, elitist, immature person such as yourself. People with your snobbish, childish attitude make me ashamed to be a PC gamer sometimes.

Hate to break it to you pal, but communities from games which came along years before Xbox  LIVE & other console networks generally make the people on those services appear positively angelic by comparison. You have absolutely no room whatsoever to hold yourself above anyone who chooses, either by preference or circumstance, a different gaming platform than yourself.

I've met some arseholes on XBL, but people like you piss me off more than they ever have or could. If making MMOs accessible to console gamers means I don't have to deal with people such as yourself in them, then I say that day cannot come soon enough.

So we agree that the servers should be separated?

Thanks a lot for agreeing with me.

And believe me or not, I'm a very nice and helpful person in games. I just don't tolerate immature people (no matter their age) to ruin my gaming time, so I join guilds that fit my age and play style, and I do not like the general attitude of the console crowd either, I don't think they fit the MMORPG style well and they will only drag it lower than it already is, dumbing down the games and making them less and less about being a "RPG".

Reread my pub vs nightclub analogy, there's enough room for everyone to have fun without stepping on each other's toes. I really hope you will be happy on console servers, as I will be on PC servers. Maybe in the same games. Isn't it a "win win" situation for both of us?

My computer is better than yours.

That's not better, that's a different audience.  Consoles don't have their own technical issues?

Better at getting a different audience? That is certainly "better" in the eyes of devs.

Console have fewer technical issues. I have problemes with some PC games before which requires updating of drivers & DirectX and stuff like that (or even have to turn off anti-aliasing).

I never have a problem in a console game that i have to trouble shoot.

And believe me or not, I'm a very nice and helpful person in games. I just don't tolerate immature people (no matter their age) to ruin my gaming time, so I join guilds that fit my age and play style, and I do not like the general attitude of the console crowd either, I don't think they fit the MMORPG style well and they will only drag it lower than it already is, dumbing down the games and making them less and less about being a "RPG".

What MMORPG style?

Solo style? Epleen style? elite style? I think they will fit just right in.

• ConleyConley Member Posts: 195

First of all, I'm a console (and also PC gamer) and I'm 36. I'm planning to buy a PS4, but I'm hardly an old console user. The average age of the PS3 user is 44! If you call that teenager then you must be really old!

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/23/new-study-compares-360-ps3-consumers/

Secondly wether or not to mix PC and console users really depends on the game. For many games have combat systems that really don't give much of an advantage to keyboard mouse users, an excellent example is FF14 a game that allows PC and PS3 users to mix and thats working like a dream! Many would argue that FF11 has better controls for PS3 even. 

On the other hand there are also games that are more twitch based and especially if they require fast targetting keyboard and mouse could have an advantage. Example would be first person shooters. In such games i would also rather see the servers being console only. 

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

What MMORPG style?

Exactly. Its totally preposterous to think you have to have a higher intelligence level to play MMORPG's.

What MMORPG style?

Exactly. Its totally preposterous to think you have to have a higher intelligence level to play MMORPG's.

It's not a problem of intelligence. I'm sure there are scientists and other very intelligent people playing on consoles.

It's a problem of taking the game for what it is, a MMO, but also a RPG. The concept console gamers have of RPGs are very different from what a pen and paper and PC MMORPG veteran have.

Some people here seem to think the MMORPG genre has been dumbed down by games like WoW, mostly the RPG part. Well, they have seen nothing. If the console crowd ever takes over the genre, you will know what dumbing down really means. No more roleplaying, no communication either, dungeons run 100% like single player mario bross levels, no player interaction other than bashing mobs to earn phat loot.

That's why I do not want to play my MMORPGs with console gamers. Would you talk about 3rd person shooters, or other arcade games, I wouldn't mind. But a MMORPG on a console is just a MMO, and no longer a RPG.

What MMORPG style?

hehehe... intelligence level ... for using an entertainment product?

You are right on. I hope people don't think that getting something in a pve game is a real achievement. It is just an illusion created by the dev to make you feel good .. part of the entertainment experience.

What MMORPG style?

It's not a problem of intelligence. I'm sure there are scientists and other very intelligent people playing on consoles.

It's a problem of taking the game for what it is, a MMO, but also a RPG. The concept console gamers have of RPGs are very different from what a pen and paper and PC MMORPG veteran have.

Some people here seem to think the MMORPG genre has been dumbed down by games like WoW, mostly the RPG part. Well, they have seen nothing. If the console crowd ever takes over the genre, you will know what dumbing down really means. No more roleplaying, no communication either, dungeons run 100% like single player mario bross levels, no player interaction other than bashing mobs to earn phat loot.

That's why I do not want to play my MMORPGs with console gamers. Would you talk about 3rd person shooters, or other arcade games, I wouldn't mind. But a MMORPG on a console is just a MMO, and no longer a RPG.

I'm not understanding the red part. No player interaction in a single player dungeon?

IMO people should only be talking to one another in dungeons if there are new players and to learn tactics. I could understand communication being vital in PvP as your enemy think and change tactics on the fly dependent on what you are doing.

Most MMORPG's the PvE is pretty dumb already and that has nothing to do with consoles. Even going back to early MMORPG's.

I've never owned a console but I know people that do and rave about games like Zelda and Final Fantasy being top notch RPG's.

• DritheDrithe Member UncommonPosts: 55

FF 14 on the ps3 is really fun and it looks really good. However, fighting bosses with lots of people in the general area can cause the boss to just disappear, failing to load on the screen. Infact, other players do the same and not show up until you are on them and let a few seconds pass for them to load up.

The ps4 suppose to fix this, PLUS it has pc graphics. Cant wait to play FF 14 on my ps4!

End of line.

I've never owned a console but I know people that do and rave about games like Zelda and Final Fantasy being top notch RPG's.

They are not that different. Many big games: SKYRIM, Dishonored, Borderland, Bioshock, Splinter Cell ....

are on both console and PCs.

I play my PC often like a console (with a gamepad instead of mouse/keyboard).

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by Hatefull   Agreed. I want nothing to do with a console in an MMO with me. Defiance and FFXIV have proven (to me anyway) they do not mix well. Give the consoles their own server, let PC have theirs.
    Whats wrong with it?

I play FFXIV and I enjoy the fact that I can play it, on my PC, with friends that own it on PS3.

So far, its only been "we dont want console MMO, console has bad community".... thats it? No other reason?

No communication, and honestly the console players I have grouped with thus far, knew nothing about how to play and MMO and that trend started in Defiance, and is full on in FFXIV. There is a blatant difference between a PC group and a console.

And hevaen forbid you try and tell them how to Dps (of all things, I tank my wife heals) properly. Never ending BS.

So, no, I want nothing to do with a whole new crop of bads thank you very much.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

What MMORPG style?

I'm not understanding the red part. No player interaction in a single player dungeon?

IMO people should only be talking to one another in dungeons if there are new players and to learn tactics. I could understand communication being vital in PvP as your enemy think and change tactics on the fly dependent on what you are doing.

Most MMORPG's the PvE is pretty dumb already and that has nothing to do with consoles. Even going back to early MMORPG's.

The games you mention are all SINGLE PLAYER RPGs. Yeah, that works well on a console, since it doesn't require communication with other players.

What doesn't work is games where player communication plays a major part in the "RPG" element. How can you roleplay without a keyboard?

As I said, people think WoW dumbed down MMORPGs... they have seen nothing. If the consoles ever take over the genre, they will know what dumbing down really means.

I'm not too worried though. PC gaming is strong, and is actually more popular than console gaming sales wise.

Originally posted by Hatefull   Agreed. I want nothing to do with a console in an MMO with me. Defiance and FFXIV have proven (to me anyway) they do not mix well. Give the consoles their own server, let PC have theirs.
    Whats wrong with it?

No communication, and honestly the console players I have grouped with thus far, knew nothing about how to play and MMO and that trend started in Defiance, and is full on in FFXIV. There is a blatant difference between a PC group and a console.

And hevaen forbid you try and tell them how to Dps (of all things, I tank my wife heals) properly. Never ending BS.

imageimage

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

What MMORPG style?

The games you mention are all SINGLE PLAYER RPGs. Yeah, that works well on a console, since it doesn't require communication with other players.

What doesn't work is games where player communication plays a major part in the "RPG" element. How can you roleplay without a keyboard?

As I said, people think WoW dumbed down MMORPGs... they have seen nothing. If the consoles ever take over the genre, they will know what dumbing down really means.

I'm not too worried though. PC gaming is strong, and is actually more popular than console gaming sales wise.

Whats wrong with it?

imageimage

Your sig just about sums up the PC gaming community

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by Falcomith
    Originally posted by Silverchild Originally posted by Hatefull   Agreed. I want nothing to do with a console in an MMO with me. Defiance and FFXIV have proven (to me anyway) they do not mix well. Give the consoles their own server, let PC have theirs.
    Whats wrong with it?   I play FFXIV and I enjoy the fact that I can play it, on my PC, with friends that own it on PS3.   So far, its only been "we dont want console MMO, console has bad community".... thats it? No other reason?
    My biggest gripe is communication. Since you mentioned FFXIV. Have you ran dungeons where no one talks? You try to give instructions and ask if everyone understood and get no answer? I tanked several dungeons in FFXIV and was wondering why I wasnt getting any responses. Then I remembered, I was with some that had the console version while I was on my PC and chatting is not as easy for console users as it is on PC.

Now thats not a reason to not make MMORPGs for console, nor is it a reason not to play one that is cross platformed. But it is a drawback if you want some organization in group content where every one has easy access to some form of communication with each other. Those little keypads for consoles suck. I know, I have one. :)

Yes I have (I tank, my wife heals) and we usualyl PUG 2 Dps. To date we have had far more nightmare Dps than we have good ones. And I am talking basics here, stay out of red (RED!) circles on the floor, let the tank hit first, etc, just basic MMO stuff and they won't get it. It is truly mind boggling. And like I said HEaven forbid you try and teach them anything, then they communicate, and none of what they have to say is worth posting here.

So again, YEs make games for consoles and give them their own servers, let PC play on their's or at a minimum please let me have a choice as the whether or not I feel like dealing with console players.

And before any more BS gets brought up, I own an Xbox, and a PS3 and I will own the two new consoles coming out, and I will play games on them, just not MMO's.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

That's slowly changing already. I know guilds that won't allow members to group up for group PvE/PvP if they don't have Teamspeak/Vent.

Communicating via keyboard will always be there, however people are starting to communicate via voice software as it is easier. I prefer it.

How well does that play out to the role-player? I don't know, I don't RP.

MMORPG's for me are all about building/customizing my character and skills and playing with/against others. Nothing to do with RP'ing.

Just like how they do it in PnP RPG .. with voice.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by SilverchildWhats wrong with it?

I fail to see where that's different from the average PC bound MMO player.

You mean to say a PUG in PC only MMOs don't have the reputation of being a sure way to lose faith in humanity?

EDIT: And yeah, as far as the communication thing goes, on consoles it's done with headsets. Most any multiplayer game on console has it, for example Defiance gives you the choice to utilize area, group, team, and clan chat, all switchable with the down button on your gamepad (further controls under the social menu).

Only one that's not on by default is area.

The problem PC players might have with this is that voice chat is very far from the norm even still.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Your sig just about sums up the PC gaming community

I guess you missed the sarcasm in my signature then, since I intentionally made it to mock those who put their complete PC specs in their own signature in some sort of attempt of superior virtual "manhood" or whatever.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941
    How so? Is just PS3 with a bit better hardware. PS3 didn't bring anything amazing to the MMO scene back then.