Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW is an EQ clone

vorathianvorathian Member UncommonPosts: 11
so stop calling everything a wow clone.

Comments

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999

For starters I've always been telling everyone that and its pretty obvious when you compare WoW to EQ2 except EQ2 is better in many ways cus it has stuff like more interactive crafting, player homes that are extremely customizable and realism graphics over WoW's toony graphics.  Also, from what I hear WoW uses EQ2's original (now moded to death by Blizzard) game engine so yes, it is a clone.  However, coming on here to state that make you hardly any better than those who keep comparing games to it!

Thanks for letting us know something some of us, if not most of us, already know, ttfn.

imageimage

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    WoW is EQ clone or step in the evolutionary branch. I will stop calling games WoW clones when they stop cloning purpose, progression and quest hubs of WoW.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Which game have devs been trying to copy the success of for the last 10 years ?
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Thank god wow does not clone horrible down-time, static spawn camping, open dungeon camps, long boat rides (well, at least there are ways around it) .... or else i wouldn't have played it for 3+years (before quitting).

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Originally posted by Urvan

Thanks for letting us know something some of us, if not most of us, already know, ttfn.

This is why everyone refers to everything else as a wow clone, most people sadly have no clue that wow is a EQ clone, and most players know wow not EQ.

It's only a matter of time before someone posts that EQ is simply a 3D clone of something else and that something else is a clone of this or that.

It's not who does it first, It's who does it right first. //As the saying goes.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Dolly the sheep was the first mammal successfully cloned back in 1996.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Obvious Thread is Obvious.

Tip, People know this, People don't care about this. A five post user has about the same amount of influece as a Preschooler on this site. Your one sentance troll bait post probubly wont even last half an hour on the feed.

/thread

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    WoW is not a direct EQ nor is Dark Age of Camelot. There were substantial differences. WoW clones basically have new lore and twist but the core game is the same.
    Originally posted by Rayshe

Obvious Thread is Obvious.

Tip, People know this, People don't care about this. A five post user has about the same amount of influece as a Preschooler on this site. Your one sentance troll bait post probubly wont even last half an hour on the feed.

/thread

Yet you are feeding this topic.

I doubt anyone is actually changing minds here. Just admit that we are here just for forum pvp. Any illusion of helping to change the industry is just that .. an illusion.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

WoW's is a solo friendly, quest base hub game with most group content stuck into private instances with mini game PvP. The end game is centered completely around gear grinds and it offers 3 branches of customization for each class based on levels.

EQ is pretty much none of that. (Yeah it has some gear grind but it also has AA)

GW2 is more of a WoW clone than WoW is an EQ clone. LOTRO, RIFT etc are hard clones of WoW. GW2 is a soft clone of WoW. You might make a case for WoW being a soft clone of EQ but it is a pretty shaky one.

The key is when you play the games do the systems in place feel about the same to you? EQ and WoW really feel nothing at all alike. The leveling is different, the character progression is different, the dungeons are different, the way PvP is handled is different.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by dave6660

Dolly the sheep was the first mammal successfully cloned back in 1996.

Now we are getting to the bottom of things. WoW clone of EQ which was a clone of Molly. Insidious plot to take over the world? Probably not, but we should keep our eyes open.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Rayshe

. A five post user has about the same amount of influece as a Preschooler on this site.

He has as much "influence" as a 20k poster on this site...what are you talking about ?

Originally posted by Ender4

The key is when you play the games do the systems in place feel about the same to you? EQ and WoW really feel nothing at all alike. The leveling is different, the character progression is different, the dungeons are different, the way PvP is handled is different.

well, people look for different thing in games.

I look at combat systems and settings/IP. To me, Marvel heroes, and STO are nothing like WoW. Driving a star ship is different than "driving" a mage.

So what if all these games have quest hubs. All FPSes have shootings, is Dishonored a Bioshock clone? All steath games have guards that can discover you. Is Splinter Cell a clone of Deus Ex?

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Oooh, neat- it's this thread again.

• ConleyConley Member Posts: 195

Technically you're right, though you could also take this theory to the extreme and call every game a meridian 59 clone. 

But in practice WoW is simply so huge that the masses simply don't see the small niche games that originated before it. That's simply how life works. You'll have to accept it because you can make a thousand threads a day about it and it won't change a thing.  

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

It really isn't.  WoW has little in common with EQ except maybe a similar endgame focus on raiding and gear progression.  That's about the only comparison you can make that's not extremely broad (but it's still very broad) or just ridiculous things like WoW and EQ both have orcs.  Anything WoW took from EQ it streamlined and made it appeal more to mainstream.

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Originally posted by pierth

Oooh, neat- it's this thread again.

:-)

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

When did the word genre become the word clone?

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

Lets call EQ a Model T

WoW is a Lincoln Town Car

Rift is a Grand Marquis

SWToR is a Crown Vic

I look at combat systems and settings/IP. To me, Marvel heroes, and STO are nothing like WoW. Driving a star ship is different than "driving" a mage.

SWTOR was a WoW clone. The game played like a reskinned WoW with lasers thrown in and more story. The setting doesn't really matter imo. I haven't played the games you mentioned so cannot comment on them specifically.

Take a game. Give it a world that is filled to the brim with mobs most of which have a quest associated with them to kill and keep respawning in the same spots over and over. Then create some dungeons, raids and PvP and throw those into little private instances meant just for a full group. Now make a level based character progression system where you get points every lvl to distribute.

That does not really describe EQ. It describes SWTOR, LOTRO, Rift, AION (well not the skill system), Tera. It largely describes GW2. These games are just modified versions of the same thing.

WoW borrowed heavily from a bunch of games when it was made, it didn't really use EQ as its base.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Clone is a strong word. But let's just say without EQ, wow wouldn't exist. That's a fact:

http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/06/09/j-allen-brack-everquest-is-the-big-foundation-of-world-of-war/

EQ was the influence for all the MMOS after it. WoW paid attention to EQ2 development as well, which was well known publically. Safe to say they cloned EQ2 using EQ as a foundation.

Haters gonna hate. EQ went down as one of the greatest games of all time. Revolutionary. Setting the influence for countless other games to follow.

SWTOR was a WoW clone. The game played like a reskinned WoW with lasers thrown in and more story. The setting doesn't really matter imo. I haven't played the games you mentioned so cannot comment on them specifically.

That is your opinion, not mine. A reskinned game is not a clone .. the skin is different, by definition.

Oh, don't get me wrong, i don't like TOR. TOR's problem is that it is too much a MMO. It would be a better game if the persistent world is stripped away and made into a co-op SRPG like KOTOR.

A reskinned game is not a clone .. the skin is different, by definition.

We have a very different opinion on what clone means then. You take WoW and keep it exactly like it is but reskin everything so it is all about dinosaurs instead. It is still WoW~. Just changing the skin does not change that fact.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

WoW borrowed heavily from a bunch of games when it was made, it didn't really use EQ as its base.

Blizzard employee admitting EQ was the base of WoW:

http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/06/09/j-allen-brack-everquest-is-the-big-foundation-of-world-of-war/

Brack has no compunctions about citing EverQuest as a huge influence on World of Warcraft, even going so far as to call it "the big foundation" of the game Blizzard made.

A reskinned game is not a clone .. the skin is different, by definition.

We have a very different opinion on what clone means then. You take WoW and keep it exactly like it is but reskin everything so it is all about dinosaurs instead. It is still WoW~. Just changing the skin does not change that fact.

Yeh .. we have very different opinion.

Dinosaurs are clones of elves? Well, if that is that case, are you a clone of a sheep?

This discussion has been closed.