Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS4 will breathe new life into the MMORPG genre, gonna be fun times!

khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

As many can see by posts in every MMORPG forum whether current or future, PC gamers are all complaining and bored and have little hope for any MMORPG games. Why? They are burned out, they have been playing these games for 10-15+ years, many people put in 10+ hours a day every day for all that time too(as sick as that may seem, its common for an MMORPG gamer).  So, its not the games that are bad, its the gamers that are just burned out.

Now comes along the PS4 and comes with it millions and millions of gamers that never have touched an MMORPG before as they play on consoles only many of them. The ones that have played MMORPGs probably have not been too "hardcore" into them because they play a lot on their PS1, PS2, PS3, etc. all those years.

DC Online, EQ Next, FFXIV, Elder Scrolls Online and many more will all be on the PS4. These games wil be something new, exciting and refreshing to the PS4 console crowd. 

These games will be played on Big screen TVs and look awesome and play awesome as the PS4 while not as strong as a top gaming rig, will still play any current game at top settings and everyone will have the same hardware, nobody will be suffering from lag or crap settings while the guy next to him in game is on a better machine. 

I really see the MMORPG genre growing and having a lot of excitement coming soon due to the infusion of console gamers and  the games being played on the huge screens by a new group of players that are not going to be bored right away or come in burned out like most PC gamers are that join these games nowadays and complain from day 1.

I myself am a PC gamer for the most part over the past 5+ years, but I grew up on consoles and look forward to seeing the consoles join the MMO world and breathe life into a genre that PC gamers have pretty much given up on and taken for granted the last few years because of burn out. 

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

Comments

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

As long as the console servers are separated from the PC servers, I couldn't care less. I just don't want the console crowd to invade games I play. A MMORPG which releases and shares the same servers between PC and console gamers will be a MMORPG I won't even try.

And EQ Next has never been announced on consoles yet. There have only been assumptions and theories by some gaming web sites, nothing more.

My computer is better than yours.

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Consoles usually dumb down mmorpgs in almost every aspect. Although with the tech improvement it may be a little better. For every other game the new consoles will help push pc tech and make generally all non mmorpg games better.

MurderHerd

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper

As long as the console servers are separated from the PC servers, I couldn't care less. I just don't want the console crowd to invade games I play.

And EQ Next has never been announced on consoles yet. There have only been assumptions and theories by some gaming web sites, nothing more.

Why wouldn't you want console gamers to invade your game? PC players are just as annoying. :)

Originally posted by immodium

As long as the console servers are separated from the PC servers, I couldn't care less. I just don't want the console crowd to invade games I play.

Why wouldn't you want console gamers to invade your game? PC players are just as annoying. :)

Compared to places like (e.g.) XBox Live, the worse MMO communities look like they are full of highly intelligent people.

To make it short, the MMO community is already bad enough, it doesn't need to be made worse by the invasion of console teenagers.

Not to mention that keyboard+mouse is infinitely superior to a gamepad to control a MMO, and it would create imbalances and massive whining from the console crowd resulting in dumbing down the game to adapt to them.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

Compared to places like (e.g.) XBox Live, the worse MMO communities look like they are full of highly intelligent people.

To make it short, the MMO community is already bad enough, it doesn't need to be made worse by the invasion of console teenagers.

Not to mention that keyboard+mouse is infinitely superior to a gamepad to control a MMO, and it would create imbalances and massive whining from the console crowd resulting in dumbing down the game to adapt to them.

Totally agree with you on with the red part.

The thing is ES is more a console franchise now. Skyrim is a console game, Oblivion felt like a console game (not to sure if that one was developed for console then ported).

ESO seems to be developed for PC so heres hoping combat isn't dumbed down.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

At the very least, console devs may bring some much needed professionalism to the genre. MMO devs are masters of bullshit, blowing a budget, and missing deadlines.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

EQ Next has never been announced on consoles yet. There have only been assumptions and theories by some gaming web sites, nothing more.

that is true - but there have been strong hints by SOE

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/09/soe-all-our-mmos-in-development-have-a-console-component/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/12/everquest-next-not-planned-for-playstation-4-yet

• MilanderMilander Member UncommonPosts: 178

Actually Xbox live people on their worse day are angels compared to the League of Legend players on their BEST. As for the "But but, keyboard is so much better in an MMO" I play an MMO just fine WITH the PC people on my ps3 and we all seem to enjoy it (yes I'm talking about FF14, which has been seriously hurt because of PC users and their exploits)

But really, PC, Console, smart phone, tablet, who cares we're all gamers for crissakes. Drop the "Well I'm a PC player, so I'm superior" crap and the MMORPG world will be a lot more enjoyable :)

I'm a Gamer, on any platform I can play.

Originally posted by Milander

Actually Xbox live people on their worse day are angels compared to the League of Legend players on their BEST. As for the "But but, keyboard is so much better in an MMO" I play an MMO just fine WITH the PC people on my ps3 and we all seem to enjoy it (yes I'm talking about FF14, which has been seriously hurt because of PC users and their exploits)

But really, PC, Console, smart phone, tablet, who cares we're all gamers for crissakes. Drop the "Well I'm a PC player, so I'm superior" crap and the MMORPG world will be a lot more enjoyable :)

I'm a Gamer, on any platform I can play.

LOL isn't a MMORPG. And yeah, I agree, it has the community filled with the most elitist asshats of online games.

And see your reaction? "yes I'm talking about FF14, which has been seriously hurt because of PC users and their exploits". Pretty much what I was talking about. You can't move as precisely and fast with a controller than you can with a mouse+keyboard, and that's what the console games consider "exploits". It's just like someone back in time trying to play Doom 100% with the keyboard against someone playing with a mouse - he would be utterly owned.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Yes it has got a bad community, thankfully i have a PS3 as well as my PC and don't have to put up with Xbox live.

This above line makes you just as bad as the so called teenagers you are moaning about, stones and glass houses come to mind.

Total fabrication on your part lol, you have no proof of the part i've highlighted in red.

Think you will find that the average age of console gamer's is around the 30 years of age mark.

I wonder what you would say if people started moaning about old age pensioners of 55 playing games.

Fro someone who claims to be 55 you sure sound like one of the teens you are going on about.

Oh and game pads for mmo's have come along way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31VUjynjed0

I prefer mouse and keyboard and i'm sure i'll be able to get one for my PS4 if i want.

I'm buying TESO on the PS4 to play on my 55in samsung smart tv, i could buy it for my PC but i'll leave that to games like EQN.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

As long as the console servers are separated from the PC servers, I couldn't care less. I just don't want the console crowd to invade games I play. A MMORPG which releases and shares the same servers between PC and console gamers will be a MMORPG I won't even try.

The irony of this statement is the ffxi has one of the best communities and is shared across consoles and pcs, ffxiv also has a great community as well.  Regardless of the game's mechanics, the communities are fabulous, regardless of what hardware the player uses.  Hardware does not correlate with personality mate.  I have met awesome people on both, and not so awesome people on both.  Assuming one crowd is more mature than the other is just plan ignorance.  People once tried that with races as well...

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Yes it has got a bad community, thankfully i have a PS3 as well as my PC and don't have to put up with Xbox live.

This above line makes you just as bad as the so called teenagers you are moaning about, stones and glass houses come to mind.

Total fabrication on your part lol, you have no proof of the part i've highlighted in red.

Think you will find that the average age of console gamer's is around the 30 years of age mark.

How old are you?

Older than the age you mention, and most likely older than you (my age is in my profile).

Originally posted by vmoped

The irony of this statement is the ffxi has one of the best communities and is shared across consoles and pcs, ffxiv also has a great community as well.  Regardless of the game's mechanics, the communities are fabulous, regardless of what hardware the player uses.  Hardware does not correlate with personality mate.  I have met awesome people on both, and not so awesome people on both.  Assuming one crowd is more mature than the other is just plan ignorance.  People once tried that with races as well...

Cheers!

You possibly have been lucky with your guild there, but my experience with those games was pretty horrible - it made WoW's barren chat sound like a highly intellectual discussion between two scientists.

Hardware does correlate with personality, and I'm definitely not your "mate". Consoles = easily accessible, plug in and play. PC = harder to configure and to maintain properly (even if that has become easier past 2005). People with not a clue about how a computer works and who have a low education level play console games. Not saying that about people posting here, but in general.

Sorry, I don't enjoy the company of the "LOL WTF ROFLCOPTER" crowd, and console gamers would only make that even worse than it is today. I hope developers will keep servers separated, and I will petition for that on the forums of future games I'm interested in.

To make it clear, I don't talk about discrimination here. I have no problem with console gamers having access to MMORPGs too, as long as it doesn't mean the PC version being dumbed down to adapt to consoles. I just don't want those people in my community (=server), just as I don't want the nightclub crowd and its loud music to invade my favorite pub and it's celtic, jazz and rock music. Different people, different tastes, different places. I don't force people to come to my pub, and I won't accept people trying to force me to go to their nightclub. If a game tries that, I will just not give it any of my money.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

That's not true at all, pc gamers are just as annoying as console gamers. I heard wow and lol have lovely communities /sarcasm.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

How old are you?

Older than the age you mention, and most likely older than you (my age is in my profile).

That rather fails to invalidate his remark/correction.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

thanks for telling us whats wrong and how we feel.

here, have a cracker jack masters degree. you've earned it.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Because so-called MMO/MMORPGs aren't shallow and disposable enough already?
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

As long as the console servers are separated from the PC servers, I couldn't care less. I just don't want the console crowd to invade games I play. A MMORPG which releases and shares the same servers between PC and console gamers will be a MMORPG I won't even try.And EQ Next has never been announced on consoles yet. There have only been assumptions and theories by some gaming web sites, nothing more.

Agreed. I want nothing to do with a console in an MMO with me. Defiance and FFXIV have proven (to me anyway) they do not mix well. Give the consoles their own server, let PC have theirs.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337

noooooooooooooooo

"we most keep mmos the domain of the pc master race"

ONLY JOKING

For someone who wants to play just MMOs the playstation 4 looks a fantastic deal.  If you are heavily playing MMOs you won't be buying many games, which is where the PC has advantage over consoles - cost of games.  If you're just going to be playing EQN, ESO, PS2 or whatever there is no point building an expensive PC for it when they are on PS4.  If your the sort of person who buys at least a game a month though, then PC is better value for money.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Hahaha

Some of the crap on this site, just cracks me up ;)

I guess I'm a  little younger and a little less rude than Neo, I'm a paltry 49 years of age but I still can remember the day that the beatles broke up ;)

I started with Pong moved up to an Atari 2600, Tandy TRS80, Intellivision, Colecovision, Amiga 1000, 286, Sega, 386, 486, Pentium, Pentium II blah blah blah

I love good games... Table top, console, PC, doesn't matter what the hell they're played on. As far as Dicks go... they come in all colors. The biggest Dicks are the ones that think they're better then everyone else.

MMORPG's on consoles? Bring it on, the more the merrier.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• SilverchildSilverchild Member UncommonPosts: 118

And see your reaction? "yes I'm talking about FF14, which has been seriously hurt because of PC users and their exploits". Pretty much what I was talking about. You can't move as precisely and fast with a controller than you can with a mouse+keyboard, and that's what the console games consider "exploits". It's just like someone back in time trying to play Doom 100% with the keyboard against someone playing with a mouse - he would be utterly owned.

It isnt about KB+mouse vs Controller. Its an MMO we are talking about, there is no need for "precise and fast" movement.

PC users can more easily run hacks / bots, etc. In the case of FF14, we see "bots" gathering 24/7, and teleporting between nodes. Not sure how someone could do that on a console.

This is definitely one advantage of "console MMOs". They make cheating harder than on PC.

• SilverchildSilverchild Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Originally posted by Hatefull

Agreed. I want nothing to do with a console in an MMO with me. Defiance and FFXIV have proven (to me anyway) they do not mix well. Give the consoles their own server, let PC have theirs.

Whats wrong with it?

I play FFXIV and I enjoy the fact that I can play it, on my PC, with friends that own it on PS3.

So far, its only been "we dont want console MMO, console has bad community".... thats it? No other reason?

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I will say it is much easier to navigate maps, menus, crafting logs, etc with a mouse. Keyboards are easier to type with than a gamepad. But as far as combat, game pads vs kb/mouse, its just personal preference... and the game itself for that matter.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Lol PC vs. Console is retard. A game is a game is a game. I play games where ever when ever computer, phone, consoles. If you can't properly transition you're just not a diverse gamer.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

The "nobody will be suffering from lag" part was funny.

I still don't see what consoles can do better than PC's as far as MMORPG's.  I've been playing PC games on a big screen TV for years now.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

If I'm understanding the OP correctly what he's saying is MMOs will be great again because there is a whole new market of people that they can feed the same tired old bull shit too because they've never seen it before!!!

That doesn't sound like a fix fro what's wrong. It sounds like anew market to peddle your crappy drugs in.