Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Galactic Starfighter: no PvE in the foreseeable future

Although it has been confirmed that the Galactic Starfighter expansion will be PvP only, many people have speculated that this is simply a foundation to build on and that PvE content will follow. 

However, a TOR podcaster recently attended the New York community cantina event and had a chance to talk with the devs on the subject. You can listen to the comments starting at 42:05, but here is a direct quote:

"I asked him about the possibility that the current, that Galactic Starfighter was designed with PvE in mind. He said no, it was not. That is far far far far far down on the wall of crazy, is PvE Starfighter. He said the biggest problems would be with scripting and 3D AI; things that they dont have in the game they would basically have to write fresh. The good thing about PvE is the good scripting. Getting the ability in at the right time makes it interesting and fun, but not unfair. You know, getting those enrage timers right. Getting like a DOT thrown out at the right time. Stuff that has to be done really well for PvE to work right. And for them to do that in space would be a lot of work. So problems with scripting and AI would be reasons that we wont be seeing PvE Galactic starfighter. So thats upsetting, I'm not happy about that, I wish that we could, but its understandable. And hopefully they make a good system with the Galactic Starfighter."

So while they may change their minds and decide to build on the PvP-only foundation one day, that is not their current plan, and it definitely wont be any time in the foreseeable future.

Comments

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213
    Originally posted by Grand_Nagus

So while they may change their minds and decide to build on the PvP-only foundation one day, that is not their current plan, and it definitely wont be any time in the foreseeable future.

Then for the forseeable future, they will not be getting my business. Seriously, making PvP-only space content for their PvE-focused game is just stupid, and I'm sure it's breaking a fair number of the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition.

Oh well. That company has been dead to me for a while anyway.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

I didn't realise it would be that hard to make PVE content out of The S.S.S.P. OP. Sad news , I guess I will try the PVP content and then head back to the ground game. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• refo18refo18 Member UncommonPosts: 33

Inserting PvP content to a PvE centric game to baance it out maybe?  Appeal to a new crowd?  Give people more things to do ? 

Like you mention, they've been dead for a while.  When you got nothing to lose and everything to gain, why not take the risk ? 

Just my 2cents. 

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

I think it just shows how badly they are lost with the game.

Galactic Starfighter sounds fun, and SWTOR is a decent game too, but it feels like they are now making half-assed attempts at creating completely different games for different playstyles.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

I said this before and I will say it again: SWTOR is being morphed into primarily a PvP centric MMO. One step at a time, one patch at a time. Here is why I am convinced this is so....

The Star Wars IP lends itself well to PvP...

Just like the Staffer says it's easier to write the code for PvP than it would be to write it for a PvE environment... no need for Mobs, just let the Players be the mobs..

Because some Players want it and they have repeatedly fell over themselves promising to spend much money if SWTOR gets more good PvP content...

Because with each new release of content it's PvP and/or it's PvE with sizable PvP areas incorporated into it....

Because if you make SWTOR more and more PvP than the Marketing Dept can say "SWTOR has more Dynamic Content than before! We listened!"

I am not a PvPer. I am too old and too handicapped in RL for PvP now. I liked PvP many years ago when Players did act like jerks when they killed you.... now it's a show for Youtube who can be the biggest $%^&. Most PvP Players now make me want to throw my monitor out my window.

I don't want to see more PvP in SWTOR, I want more PvE only areas and content, but from what I am seeing PvP centric is the direction this MMO is going. I have no doubt about it.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

I wont be getting this expansion since I don't PVP, unless it's a free expansion.

Originally posted by Blazer6992

I wont be getting this expansion since I don't PVP, unless it's a free expansion.

it's free so yeah no biggie , might be a bit of fun , but not sure my xpadder setup will cut it on a 360 joypad , we shall see.

Subbs get it first , around the 3rd of December , then about 6 weeks later preferred get it ( handy more than a months subs worth gap :) ) then F2P get it in Feb sometime , sorry haven't got the dates at hand but you get the picture.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

You guys really wanted kill this ship, mine this asteroid pve quests?

edit- watching the twitch. Looks better than I though. It looks to have some customization. I hope the different option are equal, and not just tiered.

edit- watching actual play. Looks legit for flight shooter. Good step for swtor.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • didjeramadidjerama Member Posts: 201

Is it now the time? Did anyone expect anything more than space warzone?

It might be some fun, it might be terrible, but i wont judge it until i try it.

And i fear, as all their other parts of their game, its just another gear dependant activity (whichever form gear takes). One of the reasons their regualr PvP sucks is complete gear>skill.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

Then for the forseeable future, they will not be getting my business. Seriously, making PvP-only space content for their PvE-focused game is just stupid, and I'm sure it's breaking a fair number of the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition.

Oh well. That company has been dead to me for a while anyway.

I'm not a big DS9 fan, but put PvP in a PvE game could backed up by rule #239, "Never be afraid to mislabel a product." :)

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Explains why the expansion is "free".

The comments suggest that the original intention was to do PvE as well as PvP - SWTOR launched as both after all - but when they looked at what it would cost .... well as said they couldn't do the PvE justice. With PvP however good or bad things are everyone has the same good or bad. In PvE make things to easy and its no fun make it to hard and its no fun.

The SSSP has been blown up / allowed to be blown up into a big deal however - so something had to be done. Brave decision in many ways to dump the PvE. Gets them out of the hole.

Yet with PvE probably making up the bulk of the playerbase how to "sell it"? Could have looked bad on a financial ledger if they sold it as an xpac.

Making it "free" - but structured in a way that they might get some revenue from a blip in subs / extra preferred status folk from people who don't want to wait - good call. 

Just the way it is.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

They don't need PvE AI - as they could just make it about exploration and freeform flight.

Sure, it would be cool to have AI in the space segment - but I'd be more than happy just exploring the galaxy and flying to planets in that way, instead of the awful "pick a planet on the map" way.

Beyond that, they could have "open space" PvP - on PvP server, using the engine enhancements they've developed for this expansion.

More than enough for me - at least to get started.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

you want great space PvE? play this

the problem is BW can only do instanced warzone arenas, still no open world PVP in space with free roaming.

And no AI for PvE

well, hey programming is hard

btw wasn´t JTL programmed within a year? BW should have hired the SWG crew to do the job

or their engine is so royally bad and messed up that they are stuck completely

time to pull off a Final Fantasy and revamp the game I guess

I wonder if it's possible to convert the assets and use the Frostbyte engine instead of the Hero engine?

Sure, it's probably a very big deal and at least a year of hard work - but maybe it would be profitable in the long run?

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 736

I don't see why people are getting so upset.... It's a -free- expansion. If it's not for you, then okay you don't have to play Galactic Starfighter and you can continue on your merry PVE-ing in peace. However, I don't see the point of expressing distaste to a FREE item. If it weren't free, then I would understand the hostility. But it's not. Just be happy SWTOR continues to grow and as a pvp-lover all I have to say is  "Good job, SWTOR." 

Sometimes PVE-ers get something.

Sometimes PVP-ers get something, as well.

I don't think people are upset that it's free - but that the game isn't evolving like they hoped.

If you want something and you don't get it - it's only natural to be upset. Whether that's justified or not, is another matter.

Personally, I think the game is pretty good as it is - but it could have been so, SO much better. That's kinda tragic to me, but ok - it's just a game and whatever.

Originally posted by winghaven1

I don't see why people are getting so upset.... It's a -free- expansion. If it's not for you, then okay you don't have to play Galactic Starfighter and you can continue on your merry PVE-ing in peace. However, I don't see the point of expressing distaste to a FREE item. If it weren't free, then I would understand the hostility. But it's not. Just be happy SWTOR continues to grow and as a pvp-lover all I have to say is  "Good job, SWTOR." 

Sometimes PVE-ers get something.

Sometimes PVP-ers get something, as well.

That is really not the point, most people play both aspects anyway and just want a good mixed experiece of both

I play PvE+PvP and I wanted open space with both elements, that is all. Just a good space sim in the Star Wars universe similiar to JTL

There is bunch of PVE extremists who feel "they didn´t get anything" but that is irrelevant, even as someone who likes PvP I don´t feel like I´m getting the right thing with GS.

I miss cockpit view, I miss NPCs thrown into the mix, I miss flying around in space and go where I want, not just queue up for another warzone

Originally posted by DanitaKusor

Gameplay videos up on twitch at the moment.

Credit to reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comments/1ovovf/streaming_galactic_starfighter_not_me_someone_else/

Thanks for posting these links.

i must say even though I don't PVP in SWTOR , I bleedin well will in space! Looks like a lot of fun , a great change from the ground game for sure.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Another mixed plate of "Meh", "Who Cares?", and "Too little, too late".

And after all that hyping up of the "Super Secret Space Project" BS.

TOR: the game that continues to disappoint.

• Masonic1Masonic1 Member Posts: 41

it doesn't just look bad it looks insanely bad.

thats all bioware with ea's money could come up with in two years? and what it took the swg devs under a year to make jtl, put in a pve and pvp system, three factions three squadrons for each faction, tons of ships, space mining, pob style ships that allowed for a full crew and linked it to the ground crafting system.

guess what one looks better and i'll give you a hint the words old and republic are not in it.

Originally posted by Burntvet

Another mixed plate of "Meh", "Who Cares?", and "Too little, too late".

And after all that hyping up of the "Super Secret Space Project" BS.

TOR: the game that continues to disappoint.

Yeah we the users shouldn't hype such things up too much I agree. BW/EA never hyped it up , infact in some interviews or cantina tours a while back they laughed at the fact WE still called it the S.S.S.P. The too little too late comment doesn't apply , it's free and looks a lot of fun , so meh.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

Although it has been confirmed that the Galactic Starfighter expansion will be PvP only, many people have speculated that this is simply a foundation to build on and that PvE content will follow. 

However, a TOR podcaster recently attended the New York community cantina event and had a chance to talk with the devs on the subject. You can listen to the comments starting at 42:05, but here is a direct quote:

"I asked him about the possibility that the current, that Galactic Starfighter was designed with PvE in mind. He said no, it was not. That is far far far far far down on the wall of crazy, is PvE Starfighter. He said the biggest problems would be with scripting and 3D AI; things that they dont have in the game they would basically have to write fresh. The good thing about PvE is the good scripting. Getting the ability in at the right time makes it interesting and fun, but not unfair. You know, getting those enrage timers right. Getting like a DOT thrown out at the right time. Stuff that has to be done really well for PvE to work right. And for them to do that in space would be a lot of work. So problems with scripting and AI would be reasons that we wont be seeing PvE Galactic starfighter. So thats upsetting, I'm not happy about that, I wish that we could, but its understandable. And hopefully they make a good system with the Galactic Starfighter."

You can tell that the dev he was talking to is a moron. Space combat is different than ground combat. 

And really combat is measured by good skills compared to bad skills as a way to know how much dmg and hp a npc character has to match the reward.

the only thing that they have to do different is that either make the dog fights about chasing or running. Then they look at the few different abilities set up a standard of how much dmg a good player does, then that indicates how much hp a ship has. How much dmg can a good player dodge, and that is his much dmg the npc does, and how good is the navigation of players to memorize environments to dodge flying meteors and that becomes a standard for how much debris/ challenge for moving in 3d.

Its just about metrics setting up a certain standard of what players can handle. Its not difficult.

They throw in the word 3d as if that is an excuse.

They just don't want to do it. And they lie about it instead of saying they don't want to, or are that inept to do somethung slightly different, or possibly their game engine is somehow a problem.

Kinda pathetic that they use their limitations as an excuse. So uninspiring and demotivational.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

no..its realistic and honest

pathetic would have been " were working on it, and we hope to deliver it it soon"

this is possibly the most honest and realistic comment, they have EVER made

Originally posted by Masonic1

it doesn't just look bad it looks insanely bad.

thats all bioware with ea's money could come up with in two years? and what it took the swg devs under a year to make jtl, put in a pve and pvp system, three factions three squadrons for each faction, tons of ships, space mining, pob style ships that allowed for a full crew and linked it to the ground crafting system.

guess what one looks better and i'll give you a hint the words old and republic are not in it.

true story... the discrepancy of capabilities between BW and SOE is astonishing.

SOE were true magicians, if you think what they pumped out with JTL within 9 (!!) months, and BW takes years to deliver a simple "Star Conflict" remake.

But they always get the benefit of doubt because the programmers don´t make the decision. It might just be bad decisions or bad game design. Or the engine is really that much of a problem that some things are simply impossible. It might be a combination of all of the above.