Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How did this game get into the top #7 released mmo's?

saiweedsaiweed Member UncommonPosts: 53

I am not hating on the game at all, I loved it back when I played it in beta a few years back but there were some things about it that made me quit , pretty sure many people quit....

what brought this game back to the top? I see little activity on the forums about this mmo...did someone just mess with the votes or has this game suddenly become worth playing again?

Comments

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

maybe all the bots in game came to vote for the game?

from what I understand the game is struggling  so yeah

they really need to rank games based on unique forum activity rather than this voting system where people vote 10 on the game they play and 1 on the rest

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

I heard it´s the 7th best MMO on the market!

No, seriously

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    We have lazy haters that's how it gets so many positive reviews.
  • demodardemodar Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Well a bag of cash always help to get some place somewhere , no?
  • PadieuPadieu Member Posts: 40
    been playing the game since it was released by Redbana since january, there are lots of problem that this game gone through from transferring and i've seen lots of nega feedback from the old publisher, but good thing about it is that it they have a continious update in their server going on i just saw their news here in mmorpg just recently, maybe that made them in the top now, considering that this game is old and other old players got interest on playing it again.. 

• saiweedsaiweed Member UncommonPosts: 53
    youre like the top poster and person trying to promote this game on the mmorpgs forum right?
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Couldn't get past a certain level without seperating with any money that's the only reason I stopped playing. That was back when I didn't have the means to spend money on gaming.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

this game is actually a great leveling experience with the 3 party self group and the amount of characters you can train and have.

I enjoyed this game free to play for a solid 6 months. I really do recommend trying it. No longevity though and it does get stale, but i enjoyed the style and the leveling for a while. 

• Rebn77Rebn77 Member Posts: 321
    I loved this game for a very short period of time in 2007. Leveling was fun, the environments and soundtrack was a great change from the fantasy mmos. But bots, and pay to win really ruined it. I've thought about going back a few times but every time I go to download it I remember the bad taste it left and just can't do it.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Oh really? The same game list that claims DFUW is number 4?!?!

Seems legit!

No really, if you cant tell that the rating system on this site is skewed by fanatical minorities, then there is no hope for you.  Solid games like EQ, EQ2, LOTRO and WoW getting lower scores than these trainwrecks is a joke.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by evilastro

Seems legit!

No really, if you cant tell that the rating system on this site is skewed by fanatical minorities, then there is no hope for you.  Solid games like EQ, EQ2, LOTRO and WoW getting lower scores than these trainwrecks is a joke.

Im with Astro on this one....

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• sp1cexsp1cex Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Originally posted by Betaguy

Seems legit!

Im with Astro on this one....

And this game IS exactly a trainwreck...

• Originally posted by evilastro

Seems legit!

I was JUST starting to agree with you until you added WoW to the list of games that should be getting high scores. Then I just shook my head in sadness... :(
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    so no one else has noted the correlation of the sudden appearance of GE adverts on this site with its skyrocketing performance on the list of best games?

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    OP I have no idea.. wondering this too.. now watching some youtube vids but it looks very-- umm --- un-western
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It does have the best looking trees in any MMO I seen... Otherwise some of the art is really cool and the setting is good.

The story and the mechanics drives me nuts though and customization ain't it's thing either so I have no clue how it got on the top 10.

• dancopdancop Member UncommonPosts: 11
    #6 now - going up? :)
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Well when a game like Rift makes the top 4 you know you have a pretty dicey list.

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    This is one of these games you need to hold each other hands to get anything done image....I played this game way back then..I do believe it has two names its goes by.. I promise my self not to go back to it...lol

I retired retroactively..Haha

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by shadowxdrago

Seems legit!

I was JUST starting to agree with you until you added WoW to the list of games that should be getting high scores. Then I just shook my head in sadness... :(

WoW shouldn't get higher scores?  Even the biggest haters in the world can't say that with a straight face, can they?

• saiweedsaiweed Member UncommonPosts: 53

Seems legit!

Oh okay so I'm a hopeless idiot? Because god forbid I try to raise some sort of global awareness...lol

• iJustWantiJustWant Member Posts: 81
    Originally posted by aspekx
    so no one else has noted the correlation of the sudden appearance of GE adverts on this site with its skyrocketing performance on the list of best games?

The list "Most Popular Games" is generated based on the # of unique hits on the website for individual games, not a "best" games list.

That being said, it's not that much of a surprise to see some correlation. Someone sees an ad for a game, then uses this website to read articles for that game.

Still, I'm not sure that there isn't someone shaking hands under the table somewhere, or that there could be some random game interjected into the list from time to time. Like a wildcard team making the playoffs in the NFL.

As I type this, Today's top 10 popular games on the homepage are:

• #1 Guild Wars 2 6,592 hits
    • #2 Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn 6,381 Hits
    • #3 EverQuest Next 5,887 Hits
    • #4 World of Warcraft 5,267 Hits
    • #5 Elder Scrolls Online 4,058 Hits
    • #6 Rift 3,924 Hits
    • #7 WildStar 3,682 Hits
    • #8 Gloria Victis 3,579 Hits
    • #9 Warhammer 40.000: Eternal Crusade 3,068 Hits
    • #10 Star Wars: The Old Republic 2,021 Hits

I'd never even heard of the as yet un-released game Gloria Victis. There hasn't been a thread on this website about the game since September. I'm highly dubious as to the accuracy of the top 10 list, if that game is supposedly getting more hits than Warhammer and SWTOR.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

It is quite easy to manipulate page hits given the right tools. Again these are page view hits. People do not look at the WoW page as much because it is the same old same old. My guess is they where back linking somewhere for hits that lead to MMORPG.com on that page to get the ranking up.

Admins keep an eye on trends usually and remove all hits when something like this happens. As for the one currently at #8 it is new I believe and new things usually get hits due to the fact it is new and nothing more.  

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by iJustWant
    Originally posted by aspekx

The list "Most Popular Games" is generated based on the # of unique hits on the website for individual games, not a "best" games list.

That being said, it's not that much of a surprise to see some correlation. Someone sees an ad for a game, then uses this website to read articles for that game.

Still, I'm not sure that there isn't someone shaking hands under the table somewhere, or that there could be some random game interjected into the list from time to time. Like a wildcard team making the playoffs in the NFL.

As I type this, Today's top 10 popular games on the homepage are:

• #1 Guild Wars 2 6,592 hits
    • #2 Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn 6,381 Hits
    • #3 EverQuest Next 5,887 Hits
    • #4 World of Warcraft 5,267 Hits
    • #5 Elder Scrolls Online 4,058 Hits
    • #6 Rift 3,924 Hits
    • #7 WildStar 3,682 Hits
    • #8 Gloria Victis 3,579 Hits
    • #9 Warhammer 40.000: Eternal Crusade 3,068 Hits
    • #10 Star Wars: The Old Republic 2,021 Hits

I'd never even heard of the as yet un-released game Gloria Victis. There hasn't been a thread on this website about the game since September. I'm highly dubious as to the accuracy of the top 10 list, if that game is supposedly getting more hits than Warhammer and SWTOR.

You can exploit the system to bot up any game you want. It is very very very easy to get around the unique hits and just roll a game up high whenever you want. MMORPG.com knows this. They just don't care enough to do anything because that chart is meaningless in the first place.