Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: Latest News and BlizzCon Updates

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Naysayers aside, there is always something going on with World of Warcraft. In our latest WoW Factor, we take a look at the most recent updates as well as take a peek ahead to next month's Blizzcon. Check it out and then head to the comments.

Blizzard will soon be enhancing the Recruit-A-Friend system. This system allows existing players to invite friends and family to the game where the two will have added benefits including triple experience gains while grouped up to level 80, the ability to summon one another to each other’s location and granting one level to the veteran player for every two levels the recruited character gains. What the new system will offer is not quite clear but Blizzard has stated that there will be more reward choices for players and may include the recently teased Emerald Hippogryph mount. Hopefully we’ll know very soon what other rewards await. It’s import to note that this system is different than the Scroll of Resurrection program that is used to invite former players back to the game.

Read more of Reza Lackey's The WoW Factor: Latest News and BlizzCon Updates.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I'd like to see:

1. D3- RoP release date, announced for XB1 / PS4 officially

2. next WoW expansion named, detailed

3. SC2-part 3, detailed and general "Fall 2014 release" kind of thing

4. WC movie detail, some footage? trailer?

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I'd like to see:

Have you not seen the statement that RoP will be playable on both PC and PS4 at Blizzcon? I'd say that's a pretty official announcement.

EDIT: Or were you referring to the release date specifically? I can't tell :(.
  • Shakalu1990Shakalu1990 Member Posts: 12

I'd like to see:

1. Maybe you can see that considering that it's already in the beta testing, probably it will be announced for next year autumn.

2. I don't think so, probably if it's a big big big expansion and they kept it a secret so far but unless i'm mistaking Nope, it won't happen.

3. SC2 part 3, probably this Protos expansion will be announced but it won't come out so soon, maybe early 2015. 

4. No, no footage, no trailer, some details maybe but what you are asking is too much.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Blizzard played it smart- slowly morphing WoW to a new generation.

i see wow as a  trilogy:

Cataclysm-Wrath of the Lich King- and Mysts of Pandaria now...

gone are the days of heavy 25man raiding and their older expansions sets that went with it.

anyone new to this game without 'old wow'  baggage will have a blast!

and no. i dont play wow. I only have kind words for this game i played once.

I do look forward to Sc2 n D3!
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by BizkitNL

Have you not seen the statement that RoP will be playable on both PC and PS4 at Blizzcon? I'd say that's a pretty official announcement.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/18/diablo-3-reaper-of-souls-announced-for-ps4-playable-at-blizzco/

• Gasper777Gasper777 Member Posts: 6
    Im just hoping they announce Hearthstone open beta =P
  • frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    Originally posted by Shakalu1990

I'd like to see:

1. Maybe you can see that considering that it's already in the beta testing, probably it will be announced for next year autumn.

2. I don't think so, probably if it's a big big big expansion and they kept it a secret so far but unless i'm mistaking Nope, it won't happen.

3. SC2 part 3, probably this Protos expansion will be announced but it won't come out so soon, maybe early 2015. 

4. No, no footage, no trailer, some details maybe but what you are asking is too much.

I doubt very much they won't have a WoW expansion to be announced. With all the Titan thing being redone, they must have something hefty to offer the fans or they will give the impression they are losing the train. I don't think just a diablo 3 expansion and the wow movie will cut it.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

A look at the Blizzcon schedule http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/3466-BlizzCon-2013-Map-and-Schedule shows we’re likely to see some movie footage probably the footage they showed at comic con earlier this year.  There is also two events given up for the future of warcraft so info on next expansion is very very likely

• gr0und3dgr0und3d Member Posts: 113

I'd like to see:

2. Pretty sure Blizz was going toward a 1yr expansion model, so yes it probably will be revealed.

4. There was already a trailer at comicon(?) this year.....not asking too much.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    D3 Expansion is out on the 18th of March. Read the blog.
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428
    i think we can pretty much be assured they will reveal the next wow expac. As we are in the final raid tier for mop. We can usually count on a new xpac every 18 months and they want to do them quicker then that. Personally i expect wow's next expac to be the biggest news out of blizzcon.
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    the last patch was the last raid tier - next up in marchapril will be the new expac by all accounts.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Wonder if theyre going to keep any really big announcements concerning WoW for next year, considering the next Blizzcon will pretty much be WoW's 10th anniversary.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Stryx74Stryx74 Member UncommonPosts: 66

I'd like to see:

It would be very strange if the expansion was not announced and would break with the standard release schedule they have maintained for over 5 years.

WotLK: Announced 2007, released 2008.

Cata: Announced 2009, released 2010.

MoP: Announced 2011, released 2012.

The Deep Below?: Announced 2013, released 2014.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Timeline_(World_of_Warcraft)

• KyrmaKyrma Member Posts: 3

Blizzard has always announced their next WoW expac @ BlizzCon.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by laserit
    Wonder if theyre going to keep any really big announcements concerning WoW for next year, considering the next Blizzcon will pretty much be WoW's 10th anniversary.

I'm not sure they can afford to.  Since Titan's re-imaging freed a ton of developers I hope Blizzard takes this opportunity to re-image WoW since there is kind of a lull in the genre at the moment.  I'm not saying they should take anything away from WoW but maybe make it more dynamic.  The game world, lore and general feeling when playing is fantastic but the point of playing is pretty narrow IMO.

I'm expecting something out of left field.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941
    Originally posted by Aelious

I'm not sure they can afford to.  Since Titan's re-imaging freed a ton of developers I hope Blizzard takes this opportunity to re-image WoW since there is kind of a lull in the genre at the moment. 

I'd rather see a new MMO from them. For all the time I spent on WoW and loved it, it is old. There is nothing they can do to it to bring me back. 

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I think they will announce that "Titan" was the code name of the next expansion.  The secrecy about it was to surprise the fans because it will come earlier than the usual 2 year interval.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Well... granted I'll admit blizzard is pretty much a 'bleh' company now a days (sorry, it is and you all know it is, even if your casually I'm sure you notice that your attention span on the game is a lot weaker with their bad design choices) I suppose there are two major things I'd be interested in seeing.

Hearthstone: Casual Card game. Seems like a good time sink. I never really found card games to be very 'skill' based. Even magic the gathering which is very much about planning has those elements of luck you need to play around even with planning out a deck and understanding of different cards or deck combinations. Hearthstone seems like it could be a fun time waster. Sure, not very in depth and not one really involving much skill, but I could enjoy just doing arenas and playing that in spurts of boredom. Again, a time waster TCG but theres nothing wrong with that. 

Starcraft 2: Not really my major thing, but it is popular for E-sports and I have a guilty pleasure playing custom maps on it. Its always nice seeing what they might do with it, perhaps expanding on it more and maybe even giving map makers more tools to work with. Again, not completely my cup of tea but its something that I feel (at least in some parts) is being done right.

Outside those two, I have little interest. WoW has pretty much been mutilated to such a great degree with any real step forward (which btw, are taking elements from other games, granted I know thats what WoW was since the start of time and I still enjoyed it) has taken about 3 giant leaps back since after TBC. Theres just so many better MMOs out there, and WoW is just such an old title it has nothing really going for it. D3 is doomed by its initial design, very unlikely enough can be changed to it. Path of exile and Torchlight 2 just outplay it in virtually every area minus polish (which is something I guess, granted they had a much larger team and resources then those other two games) it just isn't going to work. 

None the less, I'll listen in, and maybe i'll get a chuckle out of them trying to put in some other element into the games. I know i was laughing my ass off at their poor BS excuse for changing the WoW talent tree into a "pick one of these every 15 levels" and claiming it made more 'choice' and how they didn't realize they made leveling feel even more tedious as an added bonus.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Speculation is that WoW will come to consoles and make use of a new feature called Bloxels similar to voxels, it will feature a sandbox and tag along game called WoW Minemark
  • Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480

I am going out on a limb in saying that one of the big announcements regarding the next Xpack will be the addition of player housing.

They have avoided adding it for about as long as they can.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Apparently selling 12 million D3 copies is is considered a 'flop'.

ROFL!

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389

As far as the film goes ... I can say that the announcement was made in September that it would be filming in January in Vancouver. It is my guess they are still in pre production, getting things set up, sketches, and such .. but I doubt very much that they have anything "in the can" if they do it is a CG teaser but no actual film that has been shot at this time.

So what will the big thing be ... Well unless they do offer a new Expansion .. not much

• GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by jpnz

ROFL!

I believe it is the retention of those 12 million box sales and how fast they fled the game is why some consider it a flop.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by jpnz

ROFL!

Well considering the majority left the game 3 months after release is kind of telling. People would rather play Torchlight 2 or Path of Exile.  Anyway, if they don't reveal something on their next MMO Blizzcon will be useless, well almost. We still have StarCraft!