Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how is this game doing

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Its almost 2 months since the release date...

The first MMO to get a true second chance, just wondering how the game is doing right now..... And why its still fun, or why you never joined or moved on...

Personally i think every MMo that has 10% of the visitors of this website still playing after 2 months can be considered a succes... I am not here to bash the game, FF14 arr is just not my game, but i am truely interested in MMO's as a whole and why people think its great or not...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• masterbroodmasterbrood Member Posts: 62

Oh boy, here we go....

This is going to end well....

On topic: There's a thread about server population with some comments that might help answer your question.  People on these forums are very polarized it seems.  So inb4 "It's doing great!  In yo face!" and "Everyone probably left because it sucks"

-The only sure thing about the future is uncertainty

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I do know a lot of people are playing less.

There's just a limit to what people can do. Turn 5 coil (the one people are still struggling to beat legitimately), isn't even available atm. Most people have at least 1 decked out (relic +1) lvl 50 by now. Many have multiple. Quite a few of my FC members have most of the crafting at lvl 50 as well.

People are just running out of stuff to do.

Afaik, a lot of people are still enjoying the game, but they're really waiting to see what content will be added, and hoping it will be added soon.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by DMKano

I think people are playing less, I am not sure how many stuck around, but from FC numbers, you can see that a much smaller % is online now. 

It doesn't always mean that people unsubbed, I think as game is not brand new anymore, folks are just playing less (still might be subbed, but not logging in as much).

As we don't have any official metrics its hard to say what the retention rates are (somewhere between 20% and 50%, I know meaningless as just about every recent game would fall in that range)

Unlike you... I can only comment on MY playing time. I am playing the same amount I was during early access. Still having fun, trying to unlock some new jobs and still on my main story line. All in all, I'm still having a blast, although, I'm a pretty casual player so I typically have fun in most games for at least a year or so lol. 

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    good game. not playin now tho.
  • nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Still having plenty of fun playing this game.  My FC also consists of a bunch of great people, which makes the game all that much more enjoyable.

Also still seeing queues during prime time & weekends.

• Raven322Raven322 Member UncommonPosts: 68

Happily playing. Probably a little more now than before to be honest, as its grown on me and a few friends have started playing it and joined my FC.

This is in no way indicative of the overall server or game health, just me personally, stating I'm really enjoying the game right now.

• piquetpiquet Member UncommonPosts: 189

Never tried. I dislike the asian art style, so it's not for me. Glad to hear it's doing good though.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I can say:

There are fewer people in my FC, and fewer people standing around Mor Dhona during the day weekdays. Evenings and weekends, still as packed as I've ever seen it.

Queue times for the lower level dungeons has gone up. L50 dungeons the queue times are reasonably fast pretty much all hours. Just looking at shouts, there's a healthy number of people running pretty much all content at L50 on my server, although the low level dungeons/hests do get a bit thin.

There are a handful of people in my FC that have all crafting/gathering maxed. I don't think anyone in my FC has all combat classes at 50 yet (although several have multiples with relics). Our FC has 3 separate 8-mans who are through Coil 4, and 2 more who are still working on Primals. I know of a few people on the server that have capped all DoH/DoL, but I can't think of any who have done all DoW/DoM (although I'm sure they exist, it just doesn't get advertised).

My own playtime: I have 1 class at 50 who is ready to start Coil (SCH looking for Coil LS on Leviathan, btw), several in their 20's/30's, and several I haven't even started yet. I have one gathering class at 50, and I'm working on 1 crafting class now. I haven't come close to running out of stuff I want to do, and odds are 2.1 will hit me and I will be starting behind the curve with that.

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854

I'm on a low pop server and got queued last night?

Over all the game is doing very well obviously.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394
    I was unmotivated to play the game for a little while.  Levels 40-50 can be a bit of a drag.  But once i hit 50, i seriously have not been able to stop playing at all.  The end game in this game is just fantastic, so much fun.  Can't get enough of this game.
  • RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

I'm still playing until my sub runs out in a week or two, I won't be resubbing.  There is very little end game (I've already finished the last raid, at least all the parts that aren't bugged out).  Content updates are slow (first major patch in December, might go back to check it out) and there are crippling issues gone completely unaddressed (see the 130 page forum thread regarding SE's unresponsive servers, the worst in the entire industry, including f2p games).

All my personal criticism of the game aside, its clear the game overall has so far maintained a high population and is currently very successful.  There are still sometimes short queues to enter servers, and tons of people in every level range. 

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Joined an awesome FC over the weekend. Still having a lot of fun. Can't wait to get my house in 2.1!

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Most people have at least 1 decked out (relic +1) lvl 50 by now. Many have multiple.

If somebody gave out Hyperbole of the Week-awards, we'd have a serious contender right here.

I'll be surprised if 30% of the population has hit level 50 at this stage (a month ago the number was 15%).

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by Hyanmen
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Most people have at least 1 decked out (relic +1) lvl 50 by now. Many have multiple.

If somebody gave out Hyperbole of the Week-awards, we'd have a serious contender right here.

I'll be surprised if 30% of the population has hit level 50 at this stage (a month ago the number was 15%).

I came in with all lvl 50s from 1.0.  I've been playing, on average, 20 hours a week with much more on weekends... 1-2 hours a night on weekdays.

With that said, i'm still on my relic for Warrior.  I spent a considerable amount of time crafting, doing story quests, leveling Arcanist on the side.

Even as someone like me, who had warrior at 50 to start, I'm still on relic.... i'm guessing that a VAST majority of people who play this game arn't even lvl 50.

This is the same misconception people had in wow.  The hardcore raiders though the whole population was at or near where they were in progression.  Then Blizzard released numbers saying their average player never got passed lvl 30.   When Naxxramas first released, only 5% of the population ever beat it.

Vast majority of mmo players are very casual.  Just because you're camped in Mor Dhona yelling for speed runs, doesn't mean 95% of the server's population is also there.

I think this game is going to do VERY well in the coming months and retain far more subscribers than the industry average.  Did you guys see the newest producer letter which offered a glimpse into the deepest housing system i've ever seen.  They're also planning on having gardening, which I know some people will subscribe JUST for that.

Casuals love that kiind of stuff.  Casuals can't raid coil 5 days a week, but they can log on 30 minutes a day and garden.  People need to understand that this game caters to many playstyles that most recent F2P or B2P games can't compare.

Rift is one game that had potential but lost it's chance to grab a foothold in the genre.  The fact that FFXIV is so huge in Japan with 10+ packed and locked servers tells me this game has already reached its goal of 400k subscribers and is going to be around, alive and kicking for the next 10 years.

I've found my home and havn't even looked at what's on the horizon.   

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    FFXIV is a great game, most people who quit basically ran the content tap dry.  I play quite a bit, 3-4 hours a day more on weekends and I still dont have my relic yet, just got Garuda tonight with my FC.  Im loving the end game at the moment and have no plans to quit anytime soon.  Once I get my relic I still have other classes to level and lots of crafting to do.  For anyone thats already got multiple 50's and relic, etc...they have played the crap out of the game, if they are bored with it its their fault they dont go outside enough. 
  • DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Played at release but recently got a job that leaves me quite exhausted so I cant bring myself to become dedicated to an mmo. Plus the two IRL friends who were playing it stopped so atm I am no longer subbed but may sub in the future as I believe its the best themepark mmo out currently.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

Joined at release, still playing, and plan to be for at least the next month.

My highest class is still only 44, 2 @ 43, 1 @ 37 and most others in mid the 20's. My main activities are questing, dungeon runs and crafting.

As far as population goes, it still seems pretty high as there are always people in cities and the popular FATE areas, I even had to wait in a log-in queue the other day.

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

I started with early access and did not sub. I did not consume all the content, rather I got bored and felt no reason to level past 38.

It just simply failed to hold my attention despite me really wanting to get into it.

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    its not bad but its not Shadowbane, it is something to do until Everquestnext/landmark comes out or ESO. The game isnt bad at all tho.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

game is fun, interesting and very well made.  

Its a shame i can't afford subbing right now, other priorities. GW2 will have to do for now.

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458

I came into the game thinking about the failed last launch before they reworked. I held off a bit waiting on peoples responses before deciding to give this ago as I felt maybe just maybe another fail might be in the works. 

Since coming into this new release I found out just how wrong I was. This game is well worth playing without a doubt. The reworking of the game certainly was worth the effort by the devs.

• mayankingmayanking Member UncommonPosts: 162
    i play on one of the newer server famfrit half the time i log in i've got a queue... I'm loving it and enjoying it.