Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your Favorite MMO of all time

Comments

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper
    The PvP balance in AC1 wasn't worse than in UO... remember the "halberd tank mage"?

gah! sorry, i was referring to SWGpreNGE :( but thanks i did fix my post to clarify!

AC1 was one of those games i wish i had found early on.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• jfoytekjfoytek Member CommonPosts: 150
    The PvP balance in AC1 wasn't worse than in UO... remember the "halberd tank mage"?

PvP balance in the age of the Hally Mage was amazing.... Mage fights were an art form the best 1v1 pvp I have ever had in a game....  Every spell had a counter spell...  short spells to disrupt long spells, and having to manage your reagants so you didn't burn thru to many of the same type....

I so miss mage fights back in the day....  maybe a mage wearing plate and using a hally was slighty un realistic but the pvp was so good.... after they altered things to allow the dex monkeys to compete with mages pvp in UO went down hill.....

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Ultima Online. It was my first (and so far the last) real MMORPG. After that, I've only played some MMOs without much RPG to it.

Sad times. Hope someone would recreate the sandboxy RPG heaven that was UO Europa.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by jfoytek

PvP balance in the age of the Hally Mage was amazing.... Mage fights were an art form the best 1v1 pvp I have ever had in a game....  Every spell had a counter spell...  short spells to disrupt long spells, and having to manage your reagants so you didn't burn thru to many of the same type....

I so miss mage fights back in the day....  maybe a mage wearing plate and using a hally was slighty un realistic but the pvp was so good.... after they altered things to allow the dex monkeys to compete with mages pvp in UO went down hill.....

this is why loved Oblivion you could do exactly that, but there were prices to be paid and tradeoffs to be made. while i don't think a system like that would be easy to implement for pvp, i think in pve it would be ideal.

its the number one reason i am so disappointed in the TESO reveal so far.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Eve Online ,CCP make something special & different , real massive online universe based on players interactions.
  • redlynredlyn Member Posts: 7

Now you can see first hand the severe limitations of forum polls /wink

But at least my favorite made the choice list!! DAOC!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

So far based off our limited survey base It would seem the game community is about....

35% Sandbox

50% PvP

65% Theampark

I believe these numbers prove there is plenty of room for the upcoming sandbox's to be very successful...

You really think that an unscientific poll on a random internet forum proves anything?

You may want to look up the word "prove".

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

So far based off our limited survey base It would seem the game community is about....

35% Sandbox

50% PvP

65% Theampark

I believe these numbers prove there is plenty of room for the upcoming sandbox's to be very successful...

You really think that an unscientific poll on a random internet forum proves anything?

Ah, com'on, Nariusseldon.  This is an internet forum where there's no such concept as 'prove'.  I love how his summary totals 150%.  But proof is a mathematical concept, as mathematics seems to be missing, too.  Still, its cute when they're at that age.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Mendel

35% Sandbox

50% PvP

65% Theampark

Ah, com'on, Nariusseldon.  This is an internet forum where there's no such concept as 'prove'.  I love how his summary totals 150%.  But proof is a mathematical concept, as mathematics seems to be missing, too.  Still, its cute when they're at that age.

You put it so much better than i did.

• paulp146paulp146 Member UncommonPosts: 36

Everquest for me, it's a game that has stuck in my mind since i played it, i remember my very first charactor Mrotsha a Highelf Magician , i spawned outside Kelethin with a thud as you did when you spawned into EQ ,

I span round looking at the world and all the other people, after a few secs i noticed the newbie mobs out the front of the city gates, as i prepared to go and look at the wasps and beetles somebody asked to trade me, i opened it and the person placed 3 plat 3 gold 3 silver and 3 copper and pressed accept, i guess now whoever it was must have noticed i was a real noob by the way i was acting, i'll never forget it till the day i die.

if you read this that person, thanks the money it helped me buy my first spells, and probably kept me playing for all them years, i ended up in a decent guild called Landslide in the end we did some raiding, and i have some great memorys of a great game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pib1DwGsqE

• DarwinianDarwinian Member Posts: 38

None of the Above.

Tabula Rasa. Mostly because of all the different people I played with from different countries (Germany, Britain, etc.).

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

None of the above

My favorite MMO of all time has yet to be made ;) 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by Mendel

35% Sandbox

50% PvP

65% Theampark

Although I don t like these useless polls, the summary totals could be broken down that 35% Sandbox, 65% Themepark, and 50% of those 100% like pvp in there. Not totalling 150%.

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    Could not vote as SWG-NGE was not listed. Before I get flamed, I had never played SWG until the NGE was launched. I can understand why everyone was annoyed though. That said, SWG is still, in my opinion, my overall favorite mmo based on the varying types of gameplay available. I'm actually playing the SWGEmu right now as everything else that is currently released is just bland to me.
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

My answer was EQ but yeah you can't really pull anything useful out of that answer.

First off EQ1 and EQ2 can't be grouped together, it isn't fair.

GW1 isn't a MMORPG so it shouldn't be in the poll.

EQ wins for me because it is the one I had the most friends in. Conceptually I'd prefer UO to EQ but UO just dropped the ball in way too many areas. It was buggy as heck, extremely exploitable, laggy etc.

Conceptually I'd prefer DAOC or SB to WoW but again WoW blows either of those games out of the water when it comes to actual execution of their vision so by the time they fixed DAOC I had moved on already and I don't think they ever did fix SB.

You can't pull useful themepark or sandbox or PvP or no PvP info out of something like this poll.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

SWG pre CU.

• klagmireklagmire Member UncommonPosts: 95

Star wars galaxies post NGE. I played SWG till then end and it was better than Pre NGE. Anyone who quit and stopped playing because of the NGE doesn't even know how the game play was, so they have no basis to say pre NGE is better.

I still voted SWG though

Played:SWG(pre NGE/CU sucked)Yep its true, anyone who quit SWG because of the NGE/CU missed out on a much better combat system. DCUO, Fallen Earth, STO, The Secret World. Battlefield series. Planetside 2. Still playing SWG.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Aori

GW1(not an mmo) and GW2.

GW1 is not officially a mmo

but its similar in style to Dungeons and Dragons Online  (that is claimed to be a mmo)

both games are

- heavily instanced

- never see other players outside your group unless at an outpost

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    vanilla WoW (strictly vanilla). but it was also my first one so plenty of nostalgia in that vote as well.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by klagmire
    Star wars galaxies post NGE. I played SWG till then end and it was better than Pre NGE. Anyone who quit and stopped playing because of the NGE doesn't even know how the game play was, so they have no basis to say pre NGE is better.I still voted SWG though

Played both, and pre-NGE was much, much better. Bugs and all. Having said that, I will say post NGE SWG was still a better MMO than most out then and now.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Aori  GW1(not an mmo) and GW2.
    GW1 is not officially a mmo

but its similar in style to Dungeons and Dragons Online  (that is claimed to be a mmo)

both games are

- heavily instanced

- never see other players outside your group unless at an outpost

Lobby games, although not the strict definition, close enough. However both are still MMO's by any definition.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    You should have known OP, that your list will never be good enough for this forum. You could list every conceivable mmo and the the posters on this forum would find something wrong with it. I'm very sick of people here.
  • HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242

That's very open minded of you. Sadly, mmo's are not like ice cream, you can't pidgeon-hole them into 3 or 4 flavors and call it a day.

Hope your day gets better...

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

No Hello Kitty Online?  None of the above then 

@sawistone: why come here then.  There are more gaming sites then stars in the sky. 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• Sugoi-chanSugoi-chan Member UncommonPosts: 15

None of the above:

City of Heroes