Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planetside 2 is not for me

DingoBoiDingoBoi Member Posts: 87

I wanted to try a new game, so I thought I'd try Planetside 2.

The sci-fi aspect is what I liked (no dungeons and dragons for me thank you).

I have never been very good at 'twitch' games and this proved no different.

In other games I can at least get a few kills even though I die vastly more.

In my first hour of real gameplay, I'd say I died about 99 time and killed 1 person, worse, I had no idea where the shot came from.  That indicator thingee doesn't really help a newb.

Somehow, dying over and over and over is not really fun for me.  I did have fun exploring the environments for 5 minutes... but I clearly do not understand the mechanics and the game really doesn't teach it well for a newb.  Even video guides don't do well when they refer to 'look at that symbol'... look at what friggin symbol?  In other shooter games of this type, I played a sniper.. and did well enough to have fun till I kept getting punkbustered when I wasn't cheating and kicked.  I still sucked, but could get a few kills.

I know I suck, but a ratio of 99-1 is insane.  One shot kills are not fun except for the killer.  Being killed by a level 93 as a level 2 is not fun.... when it happens over and over again. 

In other games, I felt I had a chance (even though I admit I suck at twitch).  I expect to die a lot, but not this much.  What this game said to me in the first hour is "You don't belong here". 

So, this game isn't for me though I did like the concepts.  I do wonder how much levels and enhancements play a part in killing opponents.  I suspect it is rather high with their cash shop. 

So, I bid you adieu... I hope all who love this game keep playing.  I gave it a fair shot, but it's simply not for me.

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I wouldn't worry about the dying part. Even the veterans die, a lot. The only difference is that they know how to position themselves better to avoid some enemy fire.

The first thing I would suggest is finding some people that have a clue about what they are doing and following them around assisting. And I don't mean as a medic, but generally assisting as in assist fire etc. You can also join a public squad, but those are a hit and miss in terms of people leading them.

My guess is that your first experience was from spawning on a base already doomed and your people suppressed already inside the spawn room. Sometimes it pays off better to respawn on a previous base down the line and organise a proper defense.

• DingoBoiDingoBoi Member Posts: 87

NO, it was a fully owned based I spawned in. 

tortuga?  or something like that (right in the middle of the map). 

What is disliked is feeling I NEVER HAD A CHANCE. 

Why play then if you literally have no chance? 

As for dying... um.. even a newb shouldn't die 99/100 times.

At my worst in other similar games, I died about 70% of the time... even as a newb.    And I'm okay with that.  I can get some kills and I die a lot.  This game... I am simply screwed in.  Virtually zero kills... I die. 

I am not fodder for you.

• ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

when ps1 was released it took me an entire month to get my first kill..... and that was by mistake.

it was so diffrent from everything else i tried it took forever to learn and adapt. now i would say im pro'ish

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

wow just wow :D

Just for the record, this is an FPS game in a big massive world, thus the added MMO.

There is not that much more to it than shooting. Yes,because it's big and has objectives, you can utilise tactics on bigger scale, but it all boils down to aiming and shooting at other players. If you're that bad at aiming and have such a lousy awarenes, than I would have suggested starting as healer.

Other than that, as a level 1 toon you can own others just fine, but repeatedly running into the middle of zerg fights is not the way to do it.

• DingoBoiDingoBoi Member Posts: 87

Ironically enough, I did sometimes 'leroy jenkins' and simply run in sacrificing myself to allow other to get the kill.. but in that other game that i cannot recall the name of.  I do remember a desert scenario with a bridge that I played a lot.  (could have been planetside 1 for all i know).

I tried this game since it was free and wanted something 'newish' to play.  But in those other games (that I also sucked in), I felt I could make a difference even if it was sacrificing myself. 

I suppose I should simply stop trying games that I know I will suck in, but that's not really a solution.  I enjoyed the short time I spent in those other games even dying a whole lot.  The difference is that I enjoyed very little of this game. 

I am not slamming the game at all as I recognize I am very weak in the twitch skillset.  I just know this game in particular is especially difficult to compete in versus other, similar games that I could and did have a bit of fun in. 

Anyway, best wishes to you all who enjoy this.  It seems active enough and a fun game... just not for the newb who dies all the time. 

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412
    I you weren't already, I'd start by playing Vanu cause they're easy-mode... New Conglomerate on the other hand is hard-mode. Switching back and forth between my NC and VS characters is like night and day.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I just want to mention that owning a base and controlling a base is not the same thing. Owning a base merely means the spawn point is available. For the attackers to gain that base, the best thing they can do is to hold you pinned inside or around that spawn point.

Also, since the title is F2P, there are a lot of people running around clueless about what needs to be done. Following the flow of a battle is one thing, making a difference is another.

Maybe a different server or faction would provide a more balanced experience. What you describe is not that common. Not after a few hours of understanding the dynamics of the game, anyway.

For tips on general gameplay I would suggest the following youtubers:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdG9PVHAAQrwekvEjCxMlwg

Also to the fellow above, there is nothing easier or harder per faction at this point in the game. 95% is squad coordination and 5% is flavor.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    PS2 does appeal to me for the reason most miltiary FPS don't, you die to quickly and its all about spray and prey - games such as Tribes where you have to aim, lead your targets and you take a a few hits is far more appealing.
    Originally posted by expresso
    PS2 does appeal to me for the reason most miltiary FPS don't, you die to quickly and its all about spray and prey - games such as Tribes where you have to aim, lead your targets and you take a a few hits is far more appealing.

Missing your point a bit, since i can spray and pray -and kill- in Tribes just as much.

And claiming you die too quickly in PS2 is rather one sided ignorat claim as well. Yes you CAN (just like in Tribes you CAN too) but  it completely depends on playstile you choose. If you want to be a rambo running into close quarters, being careless in general, than yeah you will die a lot and often quickly as well. But if you utilise shields, healing, stealth and good positioning, you will very often survive a lot of gunfire even in the middle of battlefield. If you're not good at twitch combat than you have to be much smarter and compenstate by utilising terrain. Knowing and using terrain means sooooo much in any FPS and especially in PS2's massive battles.

I can rack kills AND stay alive for an hour if I pick a long range sniper rifle. Or I could sit in a tank and artilery from far away, play a medic/engee support behind the front lines or jump in MAX and shoot airbornes from max range... there's so much options for different playstiles, and spray and pray is just one option (out of many) that comes with a limited part of weapons/styles/engagements.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by StarI

Missing your point a bit, since i can spray and pray -and kill- in Tribes just as much.

And claiming you die too quickly in PS2 is rather one sided ignorat claim as well. Yes you CAN (just like in Tribes you CAN too) but  it completely depends on playstile you choose. If you want to be a rambo running into close quarters, being careless in general, than yeah you will die a lot and often quickly as well. But if you utilise shields, healing, stealth and good positioning, you will very often survive a lot of gunfire even in the middle of battlefield. If you're not good at twitch combat than you have to be much smarter and compenstate by utilising terrain. Knowing and using terrain means sooooo much in any FPS and especially in PS2's massive battles.

I can rack kills AND stay alive for an hour if I pick a long range sniper rifle. Or I could sit in a tank and artilery from far away, play a medic/engee support behind the front lines or jump in MAX and shoot airbornes from max range... there's so much options for different playstiles, and spray and pray is just one option (out of many) that comes with a limited part of weapons/styles/engagements.

Auto Sprayers in Tribes are not looked upon fondly but they do exist, hires had to include so many autos cus’ that’s what this dumbed down generation of FPS gamers know, anything other than auto is just alien to them, Some have seen the light and put such easy mode weapons away but there are some who still only use autos and only care about their KD ratio, as a player with over 1600 games played and not once used an auto https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/stats.aspx?player=supertino I think I am qualified to say Auto’s suck and are not needed.

In PS2 where is the fun stepping out of a spawn point and getting shot in the toe and dying, there is no incentive to stay alive just throw yourself at the enemy over and over again.. ZZzzzzzz

• spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

PS2 is a complex game and it takes a while to learn.

I was also dying alot in the start. But thats because I didnt know anything like you.

When you learn the flow of the game and the maps you will do alot better. I wont lie, It will take alot of playtime to learn.

I think it took me a good 30+ hours to be comfortable with the game.

Now Im just slaughtering everyone 

Auto Sprayers in Tribes are not looked upon fondly but they do exist, hires had to include so many autos cus’ that’s what this dumbed down generation of FPS gamers know, anything other than auto is just alien to them, Some have seen the light and put such easy mode weapons away but there are some who still only use autos and only care about their KD ratio, as a player with over 1600 games played and not once used an auto https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/stats.aspx?player=supertino I think I am qualified to say Auto’s suck and are not needed.

In PS2 where is the fun stepping out of a spawn point and getting shot in the toe and dying, there is no incentive to stay alive just throw yourself at the enemy over and over again.. ZZzzzzzz

There, there's no need to emulate Lemmings by repeatedly running out of a spawn point once it's fully zerged by enemy side and most of your forces have moved away. And even than I can manage to get out alive of such a spawn point but I have to use stealth, move around into their backs and take out a few before I go down. Or do like most, spawn elsewhere and start a fresh fight on another location, wher eyou can still dictate your prefered play style. Unless ofc you want to melee with bolt rifle, than I agree that's not a very valid style in PS2.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I tried several times to like this game but found:

-very twitchy for close combat(too twitchy for me)

-very poor ability to distinguish friend from foe a a sniper

-poor tutorials

I was hoping for a 3rd person option which was available in PS....but the devs decided against it for PS2

• PsistormPsistorm Member UncommonPosts: 46

I enjoyed PS2 for a good while, kind of fell out of playing it because for the longest time it just felt like the endless zerg train taking bases, until it pushed the enemy back so far they could hold it off. Most the time the train then got shot apart, ran out of vehicle credits, and the defenders then started their own train to take back most the stuff. Whoever currently held the most troops on a given map also held the most terrain, quite often.

As for getting shot up a lot - yeah that happens. My recommendation is to pick a spawn that is not near an immediate hotspot and perhaps find a base you are attacking rather than defending. You will die a lot at first, and even later on, but you need good situational awareness, and you have to realize that yes, if you stick your head out while someone is spamming heavy fire in your general direction, you will die quick.

Also, this may have gotten better lately, since my last play session is a few months back. But do NOT try and learn flying. Again this may have changed, but my trying to learn it basically consisted of leaving the base, and immediately being blown up from somewhere outside my field of view. Before I could fly away or turn I was generally gone. Flying is mostly veteran territory I think, but again, might be better now.

Tanks are pretty good, I've taken a huge liking to the small, single-person tanks. Lightnings with an IR vision upgrade are amazing fun once you are used to them, and are used to checking your environments. You can seriously ruin someone's day, especially if you are dealing with people piloting big tanks. Nothing is as fun as taking down a big tank whilst driving circles around it and hiding periodically behind cover.

So give the game a chance again, it is hard to pick up, but can be oh so fun at times. And of course, you pretty much HAVE to run an assault during night time once. That shit is seriously pretty to watch, trust me.

Oh and as for telling friend from foe as sniper, you have a spot button. Use it often and religiously. People will thank you for it.

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337

if you care about personal K:D ratios its not a game for you.

Its about doing things as a team.  Sometimes you will die a lot because you are doing your job.  e.g. a squad leader trying to rush a base as a light assault to plant a spawn beacon, a maniac in a tank charging the enemy to break their ranks, a lone pilot or infiltrator going ahead to scout an enemy base or a max / heavy backed by a engi / medic trying to draw fire

Originally posted by DingoBoi

I wanted to try a new game, so I thought I'd try Planetside 2.

The sci-fi aspect is what I liked (no dungeons and dragons for me thank you).

I have never been very good at 'twitch' games and this proved no different.

In other games I can at least get a few kills even though I die vastly more.

In my first hour of real gameplay, I'd say I died about 99 time and killed 1 person, worse, I had no idea where the shot came from.  That indicator thingee doesn't really help a newb.

Somehow, dying over and over and over is not really fun for me.  I did have fun exploring the environments for 5 minutes... but I clearly do not understand the mechanics and the game really doesn't teach it well for a newb.  Even video guides don't do well when they refer to 'look at that symbol'... look at what friggin symbol?  In other shooter games of this type, I played a sniper.. and did well enough to have fun till I kept getting punkbustered when I wasn't cheating and kicked.  I still sucked, but could get a few kills.

I know I suck, but a ratio of 99-1 is insane.  One shot kills are not fun except for the killer.  Being killed by a level 93 as a level 2 is not fun.... when it happens over and over again. 

In other games, I felt I had a chance (even though I admit I suck at twitch).  I expect to die a lot, but not this much.  What this game said to me in the first hour is "You don't belong here". 

So, this game isn't for me though I did like the concepts.  I do wonder how much levels and enhancements play a part in killing opponents.  I suspect it is rather high with their cash shop. 

So, I bid you adieu... I hope all who love this game keep playing.  I gave it a fair shot, but it's simply not for me.

OP....I had a very similar experience.You just get thrown  into a pool if sharks.Sharks with vastly more experience and superior equipment.I cannot imagine how a company would think many people would subscribe and pay money for being repeatedly killed.

• AmarsirAmarsir Member UncommonPosts: 703

One of the things I've been paying more attention to in recent years is how beginner-friendly games are. Some build thorough tutorials, some ramp up your abilities, and some have scaling challenges. And some throw you right in the deep end.

Planetside 2 is beyond that last category.

Technically speaking, any player's gun can easily kill any other player. That makes it different from a game like WoW for example, where your level 1 is laughable against an 80. Yes, they've leveled up and benefited a lot from spending Certs. But none of that stops you from killing them outright. But that becomes deceptive because the learning curve is HUGE.

To die 100 times before your first kill is to be expected. To take out a vehicle and get blown up, or a fighter and crash it? Natural. Because there is a LOT to learn. If you have a lot of experience with First-Person Shooters then you're better of than I was, but you still won't know the terrain, the objectives, when to be which role, weapon effectiveness on various ranges/targets, when to change strategies, etc. Until you know those things they'll get you killed.

But learning from all those deaths can be part of the appeal, too. One of the reasons games are fun is because they challenge us to improve. It's a steep curve, but it's one you can get over. And if you are willing to do so, you'll be happier for it.

Furthermore, proper tactics mean it isn't supposed to be a fair fight. Between the continents, the battle is between hundreds or thousands of players in each faction. And they are very specifically NOT lining up evenly across from one-another. Proper tactics are to strike with allies quickly, unexpectedly, and effectively. If they do that to you and you're outnumbered in the wrong place, then you're beaten. And 10 deaths in a row there won't make you any less beaten, because the move is already in place.

This is one of the things that gets new players killed a lot: they think "well now I know where that guy is, I won't fall for it again". Not realizing that he has 4 friends all staking out different angles. Experienced players still lose those matches, they just realize it sooner and deploy for a different strike.

And finally, sometimes that dying isn't even bad. If you get killed outside your spawn 4 times in a row, then that 5th you kill him and send him to his spawn a mile away? You just saved the territory and won the battle, even though his kill/death ratio is much better than yours. But this too is a learning curve, knowing when risks are with it for the bigger picture.

But make no mistake: Planetside 2 is a first-person shooter in an MMO shell, not an MMORPG with guns. For me that made it a big change from the recent and I ended up liking it. But it won't be for all.

Currently playing:
    DC Universe
    Planetside 2
    Magic Online
    Simunomics, the Massive Multiplayer Economic Simulation Game. Play for free.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

There is now a fairly new tutorial when you first enter the game. You can also enter the tutorial at any time when you are in the game. It's 100% better than anything they had before and explains pretty much everything that you need to know as far as mechanics.

I am not a competitive FPS player at all, but for some reason I found PS2 not only fairly easy to grasp, but very addicting. Yes there is a learning curve. This is not an MMORPG, it's not meant to be explored, there is no crafting, NPCs, monsters, aliens, quests (though missions are coming). It's very twitch based and it does take a lot of practice to be good.  These are of course not problems with the game itself, but rather problems with people perceptions and expectations of what the game should be. My best piece of advice would be to find a good Outfit (guild) that is noobie friendly and play with other people in organized OPs. The game is not meant to be played as a lone wolf, even though many people do and love their K/D like it actually means something. PS2 is about objectives and large, strategic battles for territory.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Four pieces of advice to new players.

1 When you join the game, press escape, open up the social panel and look for groups to join. This way you will have access to things like spawn beacons, squad leaders and sunderers to deploy on, making your time easier. If the group uses voice combs and tactics, stick with it, it will her you learn the game. If they are a guild ran group, see if you can join the guild. If the group is disorganized quit and find another group.

2 if you want to practice flying, driving tanks or trying out new guns, go the VR training area for some practice.

3 a lot of new players seem to go with infiltrators, thinking they will be easier. Actually infiltrators and light assaults are the hardest classes to play as they are about flanking the enemy and sneaking up on objectives without support. Heavy, medic or engineer is much more suitable for a new player as you will tend to have comrades around you. Also medics and especially engineers earn certs much faster than other classes, you can spend those certs on another class though.

4 you've earned some certs, what should you buy first? Easy, the upgrade to a sunderer that let's you use it as a mobile deployment spot. Park this up and deploy it, you get another choice of where to spawn, a free place to replenish your ammo, and even better when other players use your sunderer as a spawn point you get certs
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Funny you should post this as i was just speaking to a coworker about Planetside 2.

I was telling him my first and only experience with the game.

I logged in after character creation and was facing some sort of metal structure. I turned, walked what was probably 3 feet and I was dead.

I then spawned again and the same thing happened.

I then spawned in some sort of small building and kept seeing notifications that they were closing in on me or some such thing. I stuck my head out, saw an enemy, fired and then was immediately dead.

I then spawned in what i can only describe as "friendly territory".  I then walked around and looked at some kiosks and then logged out.

I'm sure it's a fun game but perhaps not for me.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

There, there's no need to emulate Lemmings by repeatedly running out of a spawn point once it's fully zerged by enemy side and most of your forces have moved away. And even than I can manage to get out alive of such a spawn point but I have to use stealth, move around into their backs and take out a few before I go down. Or do like most, spawn elsewhere and start a fresh fight on another location, wher eyou can still dictate your prefered play style. Unless ofc you want to melee with bolt rifle, than I agree that's not a very valid style in PS2.

its always a good idea to choose your spawn point wisely, no point after all in spawning in a building thats totally surrounded, as for sunderer's you have to realise that its a battlefield spawn point, so spawn and move immediately.. you never hang around a sundy.  PS2 does have a steep learning curve, but its a game that rewards good gameplay, more though, it rewards teamwork, someone on their own will be cannon fodder, regardless of their skill. So join a group as an Engy or a Medic, i prefer Engies myself and everyone needs ammo, following a max is also a good scheme, you get lots of xp for fixing them and its a good way of learning teamwork.
    In PS2 going all Rambo is just a recipe for finding yourself at a new spawn point image

Also, the only safe point where you can sort out your gear is the warp gate, and i would recommend new players use the VR training area there to work on their weapon skills, because not all weapons are the same, and some of them have 'ballistics' to take account of, another thing is that unless your very good and very lucky, moving and firing will mostly get you misses, so getting the drop on someone is the best way to get a kill, but when its close quarters, lack of movement gets you dead fast. most of the time image

• klagmireklagmire Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Planetside 2 is one of the best games out. Its not for giver uppers though. The OP should find a game that holds his hand through the first 20 levels. It defiantly weeds  out the weak. Survival of the fittest!

Played:SWG(pre NGE/CU sucked)Yep its true, anyone who quit SWG because of the NGE/CU missed out on a much better combat system. DCUO, Fallen Earth, STO, The Secret World. Battlefield series. Planetside 2. Still playing SWG.

Originally posted by Xasapis

I wouldn't worry about the dying part. Even the veterans die, a lot. The only difference is that they know how to position themselves better to avoid some enemy fire.

The first thing I would suggest is finding some people that have a clue about what they are doing and following them around assisting. And I don't mean as a medic, but generally assisting as in assist fire etc. You can also join a public squad, but those are a hit and miss in terms of people leading them.

My guess is that your first experience was from spawning on a base already doomed and your people suppressed already inside the spawn room. Sometimes it pays off better to respawn on a previous base down the line and organise a proper defense.

It's not the dieing...and you know it's not the dieing.It's how level 100's play with level 20's like a cat does to a mouse. You are expected to compete with a EXPERIENCED......FULLY EQUIPPED player when you have little knowlege...... and equipment that doesn't come close to matching the enemy's combination of armor ,weapons and experience.

And people wonder why this game died months after it was born !

Good riddance I say.

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

It's not the dieing...and you know it's not the dieing.It's how level 100's play with level 20's like a cat does to a mouse. You are expected to compete with a EXPERIENCED......FULLY EQUIPPED player when you have little knowlege...... and equipment that doesn't come close to matching the enemy's combination of armor ,weapons and experience.

Good riddance I say.

Here's a box of tissues I say!

Seriously.. these whining bitches define this new generation of gamers. They want it easy. They want it fast. They want it now. WHAAA WHAAAAAAAAAA

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by Reehay
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

Good riddance I say.

Here's a box of tissues I say!

Seriously.. these whining bitches define this new generation of gamers. They want it easy. They want it fast. They want it now. WHAAA WHAAAAAAAAAA

no, most just want it fun and fair and not requiring sacrifice of limbs or offspring..