Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What crafting profession would you like to see in a Fantasy MMORPG?

Lol, to get away some from the doom and gloom many of here have with the industry.  What professions would you like to see and how would you make them fun to the players?

Comments

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

I'd like to see a spellcrafter class.  Istaria has one that just makes spells, but combine this like Vanguards bards, so spellcrafters could alter the spell itself making it more or less powerfull, or alter the range, and mana cost...  That could be kind of interesting.

Same with weapons and gear (I know some have come close to this before) and with a way to put our signature or symbol on it. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861

Specific Crafts: 

Creature Breeding/Training: Find rare creatures to breed with others to create evolutionary iterations of new creatures, using harvested or discovered food and alchemic materials. Sell them as pets, mounts, guards, etc. In a sandbox, they could be great ways for payers/guilds to provide security for keeps, mining outposts, supply roads, etc.

Golemancy: create golems of various types using alchemic and precious mineral materials. Intelligence and physical capabilities determined by crafter expertise. Differs from Creature Breeding in that golems would not require the capture of creatures to breed, but would be more difficult and expensive to create.

Engineering: proper engineering craft that would work in a steampunk or similar tech-level fantasy game. Provide a system of logical behaviors of powers sources, controllers, and magnitudes to let engineers experiment and actually invent things. EX: Power Sources: harvested crystals of various elemental alignment. Controllers: inscribed runic symbols engraved on enchanted materials each with different effects. The order in which they are placed affect how the effects manifest, similar to a sound wave routed through filters and oscillators on a synthesizer, where different routes provide different results. Magnitudes: the size, quality, and craftsmanship of the device created.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Some kind of alchemy/chemistry thing where you actually had to develop formulas and experiment and could make your own unique concoctions. Bonus if you have a chance of poisoning yourself or the person you gave it to if you weren't very skilled :)

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I'd like to see more schools of magic treated as crafting professions which required extensive research, complex reagents and the right alignment of the heavens.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by maplestone

I'd like to see more schools of magic treated as crafting professions which required extensive research, complex reagents and the right alignment of the heavens.

Yes! Rituals and all. 

I'd like to see things like VooDoo Dolls craftable.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

None...

NPC based crafting with players deliverig the ingredients.. My characters are heroes or villains... and there is one thing they dont do and thats crafting.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• 5Luck5Luck Member UncommonPosts: 218

Im on board for the pentagram sorcery stuff. Summons a demon to imbue a property or even craft a warding grewsome standard to reduce defence in an area where placed. Lucky/unlucky charms and tokens blessed artifacts and paladin type stuff too!

Think it was Ultima 9 pagan (one the worst of the seires) that had some really koool spell/crafty incantations that would make it very witchcrafty...

Also put repair back where it belongs!!! In the players hands. There was nothing like working with players to keep your gear up to foster community.

One of the weirdest things Ive seen is the shoe craze that happened in UO. I never did quite understand the fashination with footwear but if it sells...(even though the robe completly covered your feet!)

Ive always felt alchemy and/or potion crafting should be a big deal. Hard to find ingredients and many recipe overlap and complete failure trial and error that is subject to a massive RNG based on "weather and conditions" almost like SWG had resource shifts. Ugghh these berrys are sour better make something else with them.. Dyes heal pots poisons elixers and powders, tanning oils and cures. There is so much room to add things here...

Not knowing the value of your crafts until you see how everyone is using them... Thats the real gold!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

None...

NPC based crafting with players deliverig the ingredients.. My characters are heroes or villains... and there is one thing they dont do and thats crafting.

Agreed. I play MMOs mostly as online combat focused RPGs.

Crafting is a distraction. May be something like that in Marvel Heroes ... that you don't actually crafting gear, but upgrade them.

Does it have to be NPCs?    What about having a contract with a player who does like crafting?

Does it have to be NPCs?    What about having a contract with a player who does like crafting?

that takes too much work. You may have to talk and negotiate with a player for the contract.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I'd like to see things like VooDoo Dolls craftable.

Maybe I can unload some of my old 'IT Manager' Voodoo dolls.   Oh, wait.  You're talking about in-game crafting.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I think a fully functional spellweaving, where spells have every aspect broken down into parts, and a way to combine any aspects you want together, to go along with a very open skill type system (sure their will be power builds, but their will also be quirky ones too, and lets be honest, the power builds happen anyway).

A alchemy that is more functional, and can end up being like the spellweaving a little, maybe even for fun a unstable factor in the more powerful ones that can do some crazy random things, good or bad...kind of like wild magic in a bottle.

I have more problems with the quality/depth of harvesting/crafting in most mmos, verse what options you have.  I love having a good harvesting/crafting system, but if it is a lazy design and just there to say you have it, get rid of it imo....Do it right, or don't do it.

Originally posted by Xthos

I think a fully functional spellweaving, where spells have every aspect broken down into parts, and a way to combine any aspects you want together, to go along with a very open skill type system (sure their will be power builds, but their will also be quirky ones too, and lets be honest, the power builds happen anyway).

This is something I liked in Ryzom - every action, every spell, is assembled out of a point system and the elements your skills provide.  It made setting up and maintaining your hotbar feel like a crafting system in itself.

• Dexter2010Dexter2010 Member UncommonPosts: 244

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

I'd like to see a spellcrafter class.  Istaria has one that just makes spells, but combine this like Vanguards bards, so spellcrafters could alter the spell itself making it more or less powerfull, or alter the range, and mana cost...  That could be kind of interesting.

Same with weapons and gear (I know some have come close to this before) and with a way to put our signature or symbol on it. 

Yes! most melee classes need spells via scrolls!

Originally posted by PerfArt

Specific Crafts: 

Creature Breeding/Training: Find rare creatures to breed with others to create evolutionary iterations of new creatures, using harvested or discovered food and alchemic materials. Sell them as pets, mounts, guards, etc. In a sandbox, they could be great ways for payers/guilds to provide security for keeps, mining outposts, supply roads, etc.

Golemancy: create golems of various types using alchemic and precious mineral materials. Intelligence and physical capabilities determined by crafter expertise. Differs from Creature Breeding in that golems would not require the capture of creatures to breed, but would be more difficult and expensive to create.

Engineering: proper engineering craft that would work in a steampunk or similar tech-level fantasy game. Provide a system of logical behaviors of powers sources, controllers, and magnitudes to let engineers experiment and actually invent things. EX: Power Sources: harvested crystals of various elemental alignment. Controllers: inscribed runic symbols engraved on enchanted materials each with different effects. The order in which they are placed affect how the effects manifest, similar to a sound wave routed through filters and oscillators on a synthesizer, where different routes provide different results. Magnitudes: the size, quality, and craftsmanship of the device created.

These ideas are amazing too. Add FF like summons via scrolls and also permanent powerful combat minions via contracts or artifacts. Who wouldn't buy these?

Craft scrolls to visually enhance techniques and weapons/armor without adding to power. Allow crafters to fuse or improve things. Let enchants be consistent, eg, absorb 3% of damage on every hit instead of 1% chance to absorb 3% of damage on a hit bs. Make reusable teleport relics. Let crafters repair too.

Edit: Gold sink aside, why is it that crafters can produce epic gear but can't repair them, or even the most mundane of items?

• KremchekKremchek Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by PerfArt

Specific Crafts: 

This sounds awesome.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

I just want a game that does have a true crafting profession like SWG had. If it wasn't for the crafters in SWG nothing would exsist. All the houses, vehicles, clothes, weapons and everything else had to be crafted. There was no stores or auction houses to go buy what you wanted, you had to have it made. 

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

I just want a game that does have a true crafting profession like SWG had. If it wasn't for the crafters in SWG nothing would exsist. All the houses, vehicles, clothes, weapons and everything else had to be crafted. There was no stores or auction houses to go buy what you wanted, you had to have it made. 

There are a few games like that out now.  Istaria and Ryzom come to mind. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • trancefatetrancefate Member UncommonPosts: 146

I want to be a cobbler.... or perhaps a watchmaker.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

None...

Agreed. I play MMOs mostly as online combat focused RPGs.

Crafting is a distraction. May be something like that in Marvel Heroes ... that you don't actually crafting gear, but upgrade them.

Crafting and dealing with other players takes away from all that online single player goodness of an MMO.

When I read all these post about a complex spell crafting system, I laugh.  You assume you can handle such a system and other will not and you will be able to exploit that.  I however know that y’all may very well be the ones that can’t handle such a complex system and will end up being the majority of underpowered spell-casters complaining on the forms about some other class or build being Over Powered (OP), and how broken and fail the system is.

I also enjoyed SWG & EQ2 complex & interdependent crafting.  What I would add is a 90% failure rate on crafting, server wide. 

What professions to add, I can't think of any.  Items determine crafters.  My favorite are Potions, food, buffs and heals. So Chemistry, Cook, and Healer.  What the OP should be asking is what class of item should be added to a game and who should make it.  We have Armour & Clothes.  Next is Weapons & grenades.  Housing and furniture.  Mounts and pets.  Jewelry & trinkets.  Skills & training.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 872
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

There are a few games like that out now.  Istaria and Ryzom come to mind. 

I will have to check them out if they have crafting like that.

• sorattasoratta Member Posts: 39
    As the type of player who would love to be an exclusive crafter, I really do want that sort of game where players get to craft for other characters, rather than NPCs. It builds community and rep.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Originally posted by soratta
    As the type of player who would love to be an exclusive crafter, I really do want that sort of game where players get to craft for other characters, rather than NPCs. It builds community and rep.

You should be able to be deticated or a mix.   I do think players should have NPC helpers to run shops and craft.  

Originally posted by Vermillion_Raventhal

You should be able to be deticated or a mix.   I do think players should have NPC helpers to run shops and craft.  

Or just use a AH.

NPC helpers .. do i have to give them salaries, and manage their health insurance too?

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Or just use a AH.

NPC helpers .. do i have to give them salaries, and manage their health insurance too?

Yes, and grind daily quests to earn them things to make them nice to you, to use the other stuff you did daily quests for into things!  Their is also a risk of the NPC skipping town on you with your good, and then having to hire another NPC to hunt them down.

Originally posted by Xthos

Or just use a AH.

Yes, and grind daily quests to earn them things to make them nice to you, to use the other stuff you did daily quests for into things!  Their is also a risk of the NPC skipping town on you with your good, and then having to hire another NPC to hunt them down.

nah .. i will finish and end a game way before i need to grind daily quests.

The skipping town idea isn't bad .. but can't you already do that in some kill quests?