Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not so interested anymore

Comments

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Bloodaxes

Anyway regarding people complaining about being able to reach 50 fast, I remember a game that tried to slow it down a little (Aion) and people complained it was grindy...

There's no right or wrong someone will complain regardless.

There's a difference between grind and slow leveling.

You were literally grinding on the same exact undead mobs in one spot for the final 10 levels in Aion.

If there's enough varied content options and leveling paths, then the time to level shouldn't matter.  

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by flizzer
    This is ridiculous. I don't see anyting in this game to justify a sub.   But I have to say spending so much time in the game and then complaining you are bored, really?   There is no game that would satisfy this poster considering how he lives in these games.  I can't blame the game on this one. 

don't blame the player. He liked the game, so he played. When I first started WoW I was fortunate enough to play like OP. I did not lose interest. I've been fortunate enough to play Wushu like that, I have not lost interest. 

I tried to play Swtor like that. I lost interest. I tried TSW like that. I lost interest. I tried to play GW2 like that, I lost Interest. There was not enough to these games. They are missing something. TSW was great for 4 months. I loved GW2 for 3 weeks.

Don't blame the player when the game only offers questing, dungeons, battle grounds, and capped progression. Flashy lights and great graphics can only last so long. I 100% blame the developer for using tired, old systems. I blame them for starting mmorpgs 3-5 years ago based on what was hot then, with no regard for what things will be. 

If what you called old tired systems out dated and lazzy developers crutch. Then you should stop MMOing. Because you praise WoW in the same breath and all they did was recycle what worked with past MMOs. Its rare to find something new and uniqe. I have been gaming for over 30 years and I can count the times I have been blown away by something rare and unique.

Wow did it 10 YEARS ago when putting it all together in one game was a new idea. Companies still trying to do it now isn't the same thing.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    This is ridiculous. I don't see anyting in this game to justify a sub.   But I have to say spending so much time in the game and then complaining you are bored, really?   There is no game that would satisfy this poster considering how he lives in these games.  I can't blame the game on this one. 

don't blame the player. He liked the game, so he played. When I first started WoW I was fortunate enough to play like OP. I did not lose interest. I've been fortunate enough to play Wushu like that, I have not lost interest. 

I tried to play Swtor like that. I lost interest. I tried TSW like that. I lost interest. I tried to play GW2 like that, I lost Interest. There was not enough to these games. They are missing something. TSW was great for 4 months. I loved GW2 for 3 weeks.

Don't blame the player when the game only offers questing, dungeons, battle grounds, and capped progression. Flashy lights and great graphics can only last so long. I 100% blame the developer for using tired, old systems. I blame them for starting mmorpgs 3-5 years ago based on what was hot then, with no regard for what things will be. 

If what you called old tired systems out dated and lazzy developers crutch. Then you should stop MMOing. Because you praise WoW in the same breath and all they did was recycle what worked with past MMOs. Its rare to find something new and uniqe. I have been gaming for over 30 years and I can count the times I have been blown away by something rare and unique.

All of WoW was new to me way back then. The world was huge. I could go here or there. Progression was slow. The gear you got along the way meant something. There was world PvP. There where so many small things gotten of the beaten route. There was a lot to do for a long time. They game was new to me.

What we are getting now is small worlds, one path, ultra fast progression, no Wpvp, with nothing off the beaten path. On top of that the same 3 core systems that I first experienced nearly 10 years ago. Who else can be blamed but the developer? 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Wow did it 10 YEARS ago when putting it all together in one game was a new idea. Companies still trying to do it now isn't the same thing

If you say so lol. Then every MMO in the past 14 years is a fesh new face. I stand by my words that if you are only looking for unique its rare and you can stop buying MMOs for now. Every 10 years or so I will send ya an email when a game of that quality comes out lol. Between that I will be having a lot of fun in many new games.

MMOers are becoming so snobish in what they think is a great game. By most standards here developers should just stop making games. Between the really unique and rare there is still much fun to be had.

• JjixJjix Member UncommonPosts: 142
     I stand by my words that if you are only looking for unique its rare and you can stop buying MMOs for now. Every 10 years or so I will send ya an email when a game of that quality comes out lol. Between that I will be having a lot of fun in many new games.

MMOers are becoming so snobish in what they think is a great game. By most standards here developers should just stop making games. Between the really unique and rare there is still much fun to be had.

Becoming snobbish? Ummm . . . we have always been snobbish. The negativity about the state of games is not new, it was there from the day MUDs transitioned into games with graphics and players were complaining about that.

The transition from MUDs to MMORPGs was a huge leap, a monumental step in the timeless human quest for total immersion in an epic fantasy adventure. But the real leap was due to underlying advances in technologies that make MMORPGs possible. The reason those early MMORPGs felt like they were bursting with cutting edge newness was because they were, they were the first time in the history of humanity anyone got to experience anything like that. We wonder why the new games lack the epic awesomeness of the old games, we seek answers in the design of the games themselves, paying close attention to how the genre has changed over the years. But I suspect the real reason new games feel old, and old games felt new, was because the phenomena of MMORPGs was itself new then, whereas it is old now.

Modern games are still using the same underlying technologies that the old games used. Improvements have been made in graphics and performance and bandwidth, but the technologies are basically unchanged. It won't be until we get some quantum leap in those underlying technologies, in precisely the same way that the original MMORPGs leapt beyond MUDs (and MUDs beyond pen and paper) that we will once again get that ecstatic experience that the original MMOs gave us.

• mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283

OP Do you feel you got your money's  worth?

If so enjoy the fact that you did, stop bashing a game you enjoyed, and go find something else.

If no then sorry you got bored you will some day find what you are looking for.

It seems MMOs are no longer long term commitments. I guess all that can be done is 

Buy it, Play it, Beat it, Move on. Just like every other Single player Story based game.

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

*Clap* Congrats, you must be brand new to MMos if you are saying this. Hell sorry, ANY VIDEO GAME EVER RELEASED. Thats pretty much what happens, and with MMos at launch, that is no where near new. 

But hey, given the ADD of the market (which I admit I've succumb to more then I wish I had) I can see how things can't satisfy needs for people, despite many mmos having far more content at launch then they use to have. Guess its a good place to pick up a F2P game for you to mess with. 

Just remember, this is every mmo in existance ever, so your going to hit that wall anywhere you go. But heck, maybe you will find a game that you can ignore that they have this issue and embrace it. :)

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Purutzil

*Clap* Congrats, you must be brand new to MMos if you are saying this. Hell sorry, ANY VIDEO GAME EVER RELEASED. Thats pretty much what happens, and with MMos at launch, that is no where near new. 

But hey, given the ADD of the market (which I admit I've succumb to more then I wish I had) I can see how things can't satisfy needs for people, despite many mmos having far more content at launch then they use to have. Guess its a good place to pick up a F2P game for you to mess with. 

Just remember, this is every mmo in existance ever, so your going to hit that wall anywhere you go. But heck, maybe you will find a game that you can ignore that they have this issue and embrace it. :)

This is such an ironic post considering how you have criticised GW2 on ever given oppertunity. But i guess all this wisdom floats to surface only when others say negative things about FFXIV.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

We wonder why the new games lack the epic awesomeness of the old games, we seek answers in the design of the games themselves, paying close attention to how the genre has changed over the years. But I suspect the real reason new games feel old, and old games felt new, was because the phenomena of MMORPGs was itself new then, whereas it is old now.

I don't disagree with your post in theory but I think it is also ignoring the fact that the genre has really lacked innovation. UO, EQ, AC1, AO all felt like completely different games. You had very different experiences, very different character systems, very different combat systems. What we get now is 10 different reskinned WoWs each year each with their one or two little tweaks to gameplay. At some point we will see real innovation and it will stir up the market again.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I see less evidence of bad mmos everywhere and more evidence of just generally unhappy people. A game isn't going to fix that.

• Originally posted by Foreverdream

[mod edit]

So, back on topic, yes 5 50's and soon another(non legacy player) Some may say i've burnt myself out but that isn't my fault, it's the games for not offering enough content. Running AK 8 times a week and doing coil once a week get's old. Don't  even want to get started on the 1-2-3 crafting.

At least the graphics are nice

Burned YOUSELF out = the game's fault.....

I've been around since 1.0 launch and I ONLY have 5 50s...between all the classes.

• BluewhitehellBluewhitehell Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Some people think 8 hours a day is casual or even moderate. I'm sorry anything more than say 3 hours a day max is more than average. That's a part time job.

You can get more than 1 lv 50 in a month for sure if you play 2~3hrs a day though. Unless you purposely choose slower way to grind level.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Think i must be doing something wrong, i haven't even got to level 30 yet image

now, admittedly i don't have time to play every single day, and i only have the odd hour or two even then, but even so. Sometimes i think people just play a game so intensely, that they forget why their playing in the first place, sometimes it sounds like these 'leisure' activities, have become their 'focus' in life, could be im wrong. But it does sound like people are burning themselves out by devoting far too much of their time playing online games image

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

I play pretty casually, and have only recently been able to play again since having to take a break a couple weeks after launch...

I can understand a player with a lot of time on his/her hands already becoming bored.  The end-game is essentially running the same instances over and over.  In fact, I am constantly amazed with the number of players that have multiple sets of end-game gear for multiple classes.  I also applaud those players that manage to do this as I get bored very quickly doing the same thing over and over.

At least for me, I still have plenty of content to chew through.  I had a level 50 from legacy 1.0, started a new class for 2.0 and haven't even reached level 40 (though I have spent much of my time gathering and crafting).

• tyambertyamber Member UncommonPosts: 5
    All I can say is , in the 15 years of playing MMOs FF14 is the most unstable game yet!
  • HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    So, playing 50 days x 10h a day....and then you make a thread to tell the world how boring the game is ?:)
  • rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468
    Originally posted by Bluewhitehell
    Some people think 8 hours a day is casual or even moderate. I'm sorry anything more than say 3 hours a day max is more than average. That's a part time job.

As a casual player (someone who probably averages 6hrs/week gaming), I came to resent 1.0 - even though I loved it to a degree.  Much of its core player base was made up of players playing at least 4-6hrs/day and there was distinct sense of elitism amongst these some of these players.  Some were great to play with but the bad ones... they were just awful and am glad I haven't seen much of that yet in FF14.... yet.

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Gotta love those mmo's locusts ... then come and complain on forums .
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Great game, just don't want to pay the sub. Many other games out there that have way more content and you pay the same price. Heck, some are even B2P. Things are changing and that $14.99 a month stamp on new titles needs to be deleted. /shrug 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by Amjoco
    Great game, just don't want to pay the sub. Many other games out there that have way more content and you pay the same price. Heck, some are even B2P. Things are changing and that $14.99 a month stamp on new titles needs to be deleted. /shrug 

This hits the casual player a lot harder too. Right now I'm gaming maybe 15-20 hours a week and I don't generally spend it all on just one game. If I were a hardcore player spending 40 hours a week on a game then yea the monthly doesn't bother me at all. There just haven't been any MMORPG worth playing like that in a while and it is tough for me to find the time for it and even if I do I don't generally care to just play one game given the variety we have out there.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Ender4

Originally posted by Amjoco

This hits the casual player a lot harder too. Right now I'm gaming maybe 15-20 hours a week and I don't generally spend it all on just one game. If I were a hardcore player spending 40 hours a week on a game then yea the monthly doesn't bother me at all. There just haven't been any MMORPG worth playing like that in a while and it is tough for me to find the time for it and even if I do I don't generally care to just play one game given the variety we have out there.

Ya! I can afford the sub for a couple different games a month. I just don't want to waste my money on something that doesnt offer as much. Like I said, the game is good but compared to even something like WoW that has years of content out, it isn't worth it to me. 

Titles should release at about $6.99 a month, and go up a dollar every year they are running until they hit the $14.99 limit. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

I blame the terrible combat for content getting old so fast. 

The huge replayability that should be there with 9 different combat classes for each character loses it's shine quickly because no matter which class you choose it's still the same stale combat.

• didjeramadidjerama Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I see less evidence of bad mmos everywhere and more evidence of just generally unhappy people. A game isn't going to fix that.

They are not totally bad MMOs, but theyre not good either. They are just medicore AND (in addition to being medicore) clones of 10-15 years old game that most played to death already.

Thats kills them very fast for vast majority of people, it lasts as long as novelty/new shiny. But when that wears off..

• masterbroodmasterbrood Member Posts: 62

This.

-The only sure thing about the future is uncertainty

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

A lot of the more end-game focused people are losing interest at this point for good reason.

All there is to do is kill the 3 bosses in Coil which takes about an hour, then cap out the other 150 myth tokens.

There is Twintania, but a lot of people are just sick of wiping over and over to a bugged or seemingly random / obscure mechanic. It almost like SE is leaving a broken fight in the game on purpose just to hold on to subs.

By now so many people have tons of item level 90 gear that if the fight ever gets fixed everyone will easily be able to kill it, so who cares.

2.1 is releasing content that everyone will already be over-geared for so it will also be a joke in terms of progression.

Alt classes are also fairly pointless since you can only do coil once and can only get 300 myth a week.