Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 sale today...is it worth it?

Hi, all! image

I've been weighing the pros and cons of Guild Wars 2 for a while now, and I just can't decide if it's worth it or not.

It's on sale today only for $30, which is pretty decent considering it's usually $50. This is the Heroic Edition, by the way.

I've always played console games, particularly those of the adventure / action / platformer / survival genres.

As an FYI, my favorite console games so far are: Zelda: Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword,  American McGee's Alice series,  Elder Scrolls Oblivion/Skyrim, Uncharted series, Tomb Raider trilogy and 2013 reboot, The Last of Us, and Resident Evil series.

I do play lesser known titles as well, though.

* I think story is needed in order to introduce you to the game, as well as the environment your character is immersed in. Otherwise, why should you care?

* Cutscenes and dialogue aid to this tremendously, in my opinion. But cutscenes are not necessary.

* I'm more interested in PVE than PVP--though I'll certainly try PVP from time to time.

* A fantasy-esque setting is a must, as I love to feel in awe of the environment and colors.

* A community that is filled with helpful, friendly people. And the ability to find the right guild for me.

* A sense of accomplishment, and feeling like my character actually aids to the story/universe.

* The characters ideally would be a mixture of realistic and cartoon--kind of like Legend of Zelda characters, or Elizabeth from Bioshock: Infinite.

So, is this the right MMO for me, or should I wait for a new one, such as EverQuest Next? image

Edit: In games with the ability to, I usually am a Battlemage, meaning a sword or staff in one hand and spells in the other. That way I can kill enemies up close, ranged, or a combination if I want.

Does GW2 have a class that fits that?

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes."
-Marcel Proust

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    I'd say to try it, as Guild Wars 2 fits most of those points better than most MMORPGs.  You might love it, but it's also plausible that you just won't like MMORPGs in general.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

No subscription, not pay2win, it's worth at least $30, and definitely has more gameplay than most console games.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I persoanlly didnt care for GW2's cut scenes. But this is how I would look at it.

Can you afford to spend $30 for a F2P game? If so then its a good investment of your money.

GW2 is a top notch F2P game that doesnt nickle and dime you to death with its convienence shop.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• YouNubeYouNube Member Posts: 25

Hey mate, i'll just go straight to answering you. Keep in mind, i've played only for 1,5 months after launch, so maybe things are looking a bit better now.

1. The story is terrible, i.e. it's written for 10-15-year-olds. It's very straight forward, and too simple and plain for me. 
    2. Cutscenes and the dialogues are as above. Boring. Although the cutscenes were kinda nice. 
    3. The PvE was really pointless to me. I know that 95% of the game rely on that "carrot on a stick" concept, and eventho i'm not very fond of it, it's still better than the PvE in Guild Wars. I mean the lack of trinity just makes it... clumsy. For example, to feel useful as a dps, and to rain fire upon my enemies, i need to be sure, that someone is staying infront of me, protecting me and all that. And ingame you are just a wizzard that spams his roll/dodge/blink whatever it is, and incase you have like 5-6 seconds of freedom, only then can you actually feel as a DPS. But the PvP was nice. I really enjoyed it. Dynamic, full of action and really keeps your attention.
    4. The environment is amazing. So are the graphics. The whole game with all the zones and amazing landscapes, it's just amazing. A+.
    5. The community... Meh. When i was playing, the global chat was dead 90% of the time. I guess most people were just chatting in /area or /guild, but still. Was kinda lonesome.
    6. Sense of acomplishment... Now that's a pickle. To be honest, during those live events you see 50-60 people around you, everyone throwing spells and all that, but if you take a minute to think about it, this said group of 50-60 people would be just fine even if you go afk. Some people blame the lack of trinity, but me personally, i think it's just the way the game was designed, i.e. not only the lack of trinity, but some other factors as well. You don't really affect the world that much too. 
    7. The characters are amazing too, thanks to the engine. I mean the game as a whole, looks insanely good. That is ofcourse if you have a decent PC. Otherwise it still looks good, but not as good as it should. 
    Hope i was helpful. :3

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

I'd say it's worth it. The only one of your conditions that I'm not sure it meets is " A sense of accomplishment, and feeling like my character actually aids to the story/universe" . Even that, it does better than most MMOs. There is a personal story line and tons of little "achievements" to get but it does feel a bit hollow to me.

But the game is well designed and fun, the graphics are good and I found it pretty easy to find decent guilds. For 50% off, if you like the idea of a big online game at all, you will definitely get a few hours of fun out of GW2 and probably quite a bit more than that.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    For $30 I'd say its worth it.  I don't play anymore and I stopped playing about or month or so after it released but I still feel I got my money's worth.  It you're looking for another buy to play MMO, you might want to try The Secret World.  Its set in the modern world, not in a fantasy setting, but it has everything else you're looking for.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196
    You can easily get $30 worth of playtime out of  GW2. You may find the story a bit week but I would say it fits your other points.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Yes.
    You will get more than your money's worth back from it.

My computer is better than yours.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

I'd go make the purchase. GW2 is a highly regarded MMO. Even on this site despite what a few may think :). Being a console player I think you will find the game mechanics in GW2 a lot of fun as it is controller friendly (so I've heard by players).

$30 on a hobby you are passionate about or interested in is nothing. IMO you will get more than $30 worth of entertainment even if you think its an average game after a couple of weeks.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

It is worth it, without a doubt.

Bottom-line is if you enjoy rpgs, and enjoy having others around you also playing in the same world as you, then you will enjoy it and get your money's worth ten times over.

If you look at it as just a videogame, you will get probably the most bang for your buck. Compare it to most hack n slashes charging $40+ or most singleplayer rpgs charging $50+, it blows them out the water in mere gameplay hours you can put into the game.

Immersion is a huge thing, and there are a lot of little details in the world itself that bring the lore to life in a way most mmo companies missed with their games.

The characters are a nice blend of realistic with a bit of cartoon. Less cartoony than EQNext, but less real than Skyrim. 

The cutscenes and climactic moments in the story do its best to involve you in the ongoing events of the world itself.

The dynamic events, although not as dynamic as people wish, do its best to make you forget you are doing simple quests to progress the story and your character.

Grab the game, go explore, and see what adventures you can find yourself into. Recommended servers for helpful folk would be Tarnished Coast. 

• Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Yes, it is definitely worth your $30. I mean, a new console game costs twice that, and you will get MANY more hours of enjoyment out of GW2, assuming you can get in to the MMO genre in general, coming from console games that have more personal interaction with the story and that feeling of "mattering" that you are looking for. But if you are looking to branch in to the MMO genre, GW2 is definitely the best MMO out right now. Personally, I am not big in to story in an MMO so I cannot accurately assess the quality of their story because personally I kinda zone-out during cutscenes and story stuff. But yes, there is a main story line for each class, with differences for each race and "back story" that you choose as well. I don't PVP or WvW at all and I play the game a lot, so there is plenty of stuff to do at endgame without these, especially with the free 2-week content updates that they are putting out. Yes, it is definitely very heavy on the fantasy setting, with some sci-fi elements, too. The community can be helpful, but as always you can have snarky comments from people who don't wanna help "noobs." The best thing to do is join a guild, which there are plenty of and will help you out more. I also think GW2 has a great mix between cartoony and realistic characters, which is what you said you are looking for. So there you go...according to what you are looking for I think you would enjoy this game, and at $30 you can't go wrong!
  • MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by StarryEyedGamer

Hi, all! image

I've been weighing the pros and cons of Guild Wars 2 for a while now, and I just can't decide if it's worth it or not.

It's on sale today only for $30 bucks, which is pretty decent considering it's usually $50. This is the Heroic Edition, by the way.

I've always played console games, particularly those of the adventure / action / survival genres.

As an FYI, my favorite console games so far are: Zelda: Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword,  Elder Scrolls Oblivion/Skyrim, Uncharted series, Tomb Raider trilogy and 2013 reboot, The Last of Us, and Resident Evil series.

* I think story is needed in order to introduce you to the game, as well as the environment your character is immersed in. Otherwise, why should you care?

* Cutscenes and dialogue aid to this tremendously, in my opinion. But cutscenes are not necessary.

* I'm more interested in PVE than PVP--though I'll certainly try PVP from time to time.

* A fantasy-esque setting is a must, as I love to feel in awe of the environment and colors.

* A community that is filled with helpful, friendly people. And the ability to find the right guild for me.

* A sense of accomplishment, and feeling like my character actually aids to the story/universe.

* The characters ideally would be a mixture of realistic and cartoon--kind of like Legend of Zelda characters, or Elizabeth from Bioshock: Infinite.

So, is this the right MMO for me, or should I wait for a new one, such as EverQuest Next? image

It has every single thing on your list in abundance. Research your server before you create a character though.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Honestly if you can try it before you buy it I would.

For me, it was I feel the worst AAA title I've played in years. It just is such an average and 'meh' game with not much behind it. To me combat is a big part and the combat in GW2 is one of its weakest points which is a stumbling point for me and ruined any chance of me getting into it. Its just 'meh' all around. Not terrible, but nothing amazing.

Then again, some people like it. Sure I think no one can deny that its combat system isn't exactly 'great' but still some enjoy it who prefer a more 'slippery' and loose combat system that is also very simplistic. The dodging in a way gives the feeling of more complexity without really making things more complex. Its great if your one of those casuals who feel "having to earn stuff is BS, hand me top gear with no effort!" while still at least having cosmetic things available to spice up your character through long grind. 

In Short: Try it before hand. Otherwise, your going to find a mediocre game that will likely boor you quickly unless you can get into its 'meh' combat system and can get attached to small events/additions happening relatively often. 

• StarryEyedGamerStarryEyedGamer Member Posts: 21

Wow!

Thank you so much for your quick and thorough replies so far. image

Would anyone mind telling me which server you'd recommend for me?

I definitely want to join a guild in order to meet new, open-minded people, and to have fun while learning the game.

The only other MMO I've dabbled in a bit was Rift, which is from what I've heard more of a "wanna-be WoW."

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes."
    -Marcel Proust

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Tarnished Coast is supposed to be good. You can also check the world WvW rankings to see which servers are better there. WvW is kinda a big part of End-game, esp now with the official 1st season starting so you may want to be on a top server.

• StarryEyedGamerStarryEyedGamer Member Posts: 21

Okay, will do, thanks!

By the way, in games that allow me to choose what I want to "be," I usually go what I assume would be considered Battlemage--a sword or staff in one hand and spells in the other. That way I can kill enemies up close, ranged, or a combination if I want.

-Marcel Proust

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Though I thought it was an extremely casual friendly mmorpg, and the pvp was a joke. It's $30, no monthly fee, so it's cheap entertainment.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

It's about as worthwhile as most other games.  You'll get a few weeks out of it, then it becomes as boring as meaningless as every other game out there.

To me, it was a huge disappointment.  The overall design of the game is weak, meant for casuals.  ANET proved there are worse systems than the Trinity, because theirs is AWFUL!

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Okay, will do, thanks!By the way, in games that allow me to choose what I want to "be," I usually go what I assume would be considered Battlemage--a sword or staff in one hand and spells in the other. That way I can kill enemies up close, ranged, or a combination if I want.Does GW2 have a class that fits that?

Yup. Mesmer can use Swords & Greatswords with magic to great effect.

Elementalists are your more traditional mages, they can use dagger+scepter that kinda fits that image.

Necromancers can use some interesting weapon combinations.

Pretty much every profession (class) gets a variety of different weapon combinations, and the abilities and play styles they have available changes (sometimes drastically) depending on which weapon you equip.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Hi, all! image

It's on sale today only for $30 bucks, which is pretty decent considering it's usually $50. This is the Heroic Edition, by the way.

I've always played console games, particularly those of the adventure / action / survival genres.

As an FYI, my favorite console games so far are: Zelda: Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword,  Elder Scrolls Oblivion/Skyrim, Uncharted series, Tomb Raider trilogy and 2013 reboot, The Last of Us, and Resident Evil series.

I do play lesser known titles as well, though.

Edit: In games with the ability to, I usually am a Battlemage, meaning a sword or staff in one hand and spells in the other. That way I can kill enemies up close, ranged, or a combination if I want.

1.  The story is apparently hit or miss.  Certain choices you make during character creation and during dialogue boxes will change the story and give you different playthroughs, although some are apparently better than others.  You mileage may vary.

2.  It has plenty of cutscenes (although most of these are talking heads), as for dialogue...holy kitten does this game have dialogue, more than almost any other game I have ever played.  Some npcs will hold conversations with eachother for less than a minute.

3.  PvE is a main focus of this game, and PvP is completely optional, although I heard PvP is ok.

4.  Yep, this is a fantasy setting.

5.  A major point in this game is a helpful community.  Everything is shared: enemies, nodes, etc.  See some people fighting a boss?  Attack the boss and you will get credit and loot from it.

6.  Well, this game does have an accomplishment system, and there is something to be said about getting a legendary weapon...

7.  Yes, characters are a mix of realistic and cartoony.  Just look at the human female; her /surprise emote has her jump in the air and hold her hands like a surprised anime character.

8.  Battlemage...hmm...well, there is the guardian, a paladin-esque class with holy fire and spirit weapons that uses swords, maces, and staffs; the mesmer, an illusionist class that tricks the minds of their enemies while using swords, pistols, and wands; and the necromancer, an obvious class that uses daggers, axes, and staffs (although I think they use ranged weapons even when they weild daggers and axes.  While a mesmer might not be able to throw fire like an elementalist (no swords normally, although high level ones can summon a temporary fire sword), I think that might be the kind of class you like, although they might have a bit of a learning curve to them...

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    The sense of accomplishment thing might be a real bugger for you. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    I would not spend more than $15 now since they mostly will force expansion on me within next 6 monrhs to year, which will go for at least $50.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

for 30 bucks!?

OFC is worth it! Go run and grab one!

It´s going to keep you entertained for a long time! And constantly updated.

Good deal!

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263

It's a good game as long as you like single player action/console style games and are willing to pay extra in the cash shop for gold as very little loot drops that's worth anything.

WvWvW while being fun at the start doesn't last long, as it is instanced and full of zerg armies (never go out solo, you'll last 2 mins!).

PvE is ok, if you like action. As said the story is very shallow. Lots of jumping puzzles if your into that arcade stuff. And lastly (and sadly) where are no roles/trinity, so you're just a clone DPSer like everyone else.

BUT it is fun! (Be it short lived fun... but hey! Fun is fun, right?).

If it's $5, get it!

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Okay, will do, thanks!By the way, in games that allow me to choose what I want to "be," I usually go what I assume would be considered Battlemage--a sword or staff in one hand and spells in the other. That way I can kill enemies up close, ranged, or a combination if I want.Does GW2 have a class that fits that?

Yup. Mesmer can use Swords & Greatswords with magic to great effect.

Elementalists are your more traditional mages, they can use dagger+scepter that kinda fits that image.

Necromancers can use some interesting weapon combinations.

Pretty much every profession (class) gets a variety of different weapon combinations, and the abilities and play styles they have available changes (sometimes drastically) depending on which weapon you equip.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/

I would not recommend a messmer as first character, they are pretty hard to play to be honest. Want to start with a magic heavy character able to use swords? Roll a guardian.
    But messmer? Nope, unless you're ready for a challenge.

My computer is better than yours.