Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your Favorite MMO of all time

Comments

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    SWG then AOC now TSW
  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

I'll say my best TO DATE as time hasn't ended yet and Mmos haven't quit being made  image

EQ for PvE

DAoC for PvP

For me they are 2 distinct categories with different feel, fun and playstyles.

• MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Asherons Call
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Originally posted by jfoytek   Often you hear people reference EQ or UO and of course everyone compares everything to WoW....  But AC goes by relatively un talked about....
    That's because AC was much better in memory than in reality. 

Funny, that is exactly what I was thinking. To be Honest, SWG for as much as I loved it (PRE NGE) was riddled with bugs as well. The difference being; I can admit it was not a perfect game, it was just perfect for me.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Hmm... another imperfect poll being criticized by "perfect" critics image

OP: don't sweat it - you got most of the ones I would vote for up there.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Voted WoW, for WoW TBC.

Not intended as a vote for more recent releases.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

That poll misses a lot of big game titles. At least put other catagory. A pol like that just is a poor choice when theres so many games, many of which you neglected.

Personally for me its Ragnarok Online. No MMO has such a nostalgia trip to pull me back like that game does. Such a fun game that didn't have much like it at the time, and it just pulled off its mechanics so well.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper
    Originally posted by jfoytek

Often you hear people reference EQ or UO and of course everyone compares everything to WoW....  But AC goes by relatively un talked about....

AC1 was in the top three along with UO and EQ1. It actually had more players than UO at some point of its existence.

I didn't say it was unpopular, I said it wasn't very good.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

another one of these polls...

• ForgefeuForgefeu Member UncommonPosts: 118
    one i see Ultima online behind the 5% i start feeling older :p
  • charblcharbl Member Posts: 3
    Voted for WoW but would pick AC1 anyday.  All they need need to do is update UI and I would be right back
  • aendamaendam Member Posts: 12
    daoc by far.
  • rochristrochrist Member UncommonPosts: 134
    None of the above. City of Heroes.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

regarding AC

if anyone was big into PVP back at the start of MMO's and didnt play on Darktide server you missed out on probably the best PVP of all time.  Even though there were no seiges or anything the PVP was non-stop intensity, and completely skill based.

even if you didnt play on the pvp server Darktide, the pvp on Harvestgain (where I was) during the unintended PVP battle that was the Shadow Wars was the most fun I have ever had in a game in my life.  Anyone who was flagged as PVP actually teamed with the invading Shadows against the rest of the server trying to defeat it.

top all of that off, with the only game in history who had monthly updates (not fixes/patches) actually content updates EVERY SINGLE MONTH for well over 10 consecutive years, and you know why the people who started on AC are always rushing to defend AC's honor.  Open World, seemless game with Dungeons that werent instanced, to top it off with ONLY epic quests, no kill 10 drudges, and the best loot system to date in an entirely original world, entirely buffable armor and weapons, awesome crafting system, and weapons that actually did different types of damage like fire, frost, acid, slash.  Attacks that could target different body parts, and armor that was strong or weak vs different attacks

no elves, dwarves, goblins, orcs, traditional monsters, everything was unique to AC

Drudges, Banderlings, Mattekars, Shadows, Greivvers, Virindi, Burun, Tumerok, Lugian, Mosswarts, Tuskers, OLTHOI!, the list goes on and on, and I think the only normal mobs I can remember were Wasps and Armadillos.

I can go on and on but must stop before I miss it even more

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

I'd say CoH.  As much as I liked pre-CU SWG...and I liked pre-CU SWG a lot--CoH was the only game that I loved more and more each year I played it.

I can't say the same for Galaxies.  The first month of it was the best time I ever had in an MMO.  The next month was just about as good.  But then the next year was worse than the first year, as AFK started to dominate the cantinas and we started getting the jerk guilds who were grandfathered in.  But we still had JTL (which was awesome) and it was still rich enough to be satisfying.  2005 was a bummer.

City of Heroes, however, just got better with time.  This wasn't a game I could "live in" like Galaxies, but it was a place that I would vacation at for about 3-4 months at a stretch over a period of several years.  It had everything Galaxies had...maybe not as intensely as Galaxies, but the systems improved with time.  CoV was awesome.  Praetoria was awesome.  Orobouros was awesome.  It was the best platform for RP.  It had a good economic game.  It had an innovative base building/housing system.  Player content rocked.  With Issue 24, it would have been the most polished, refined MMO in the genre.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• Neither. SWG post-NGE. I wasn't around pre-.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    not one has done it for me,guild wars 2 almost but no groupfinder.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Leaving off AC is akin to leaving out Benjamin Franklin or Thomas Jefferson from a list of founding fathers.  I admit my initial response was harsh but its a common occurrence I see all to often when people mention old school MMO's and leave off AC.  I know of no one who played the game who didn't think it was better then just about any MMO ever created and as evident in this very thread there are many of us who would drop everything to play an identical version of Asheron's Call with updated graphics.  (although I would add a new melee combat system as well).

{ Mod Edited }

+1, I tried it and really didn't care for it, I thought EQ/UO were much better.  If the best mmo ever imo only had graphic problems, I would still be playing it, despite those 'problems'.  I still play UO here and there, even with the 2D client, I just do not like the new skill system (among other things, but the game has changed...If it was still like the older UO, even with Trammel, I would be playing it right now)....Same with EQ, if they didn't become EverInstance, I wouldn't of left. 

UO had become almost unplayable due to added landmass and poor servers (horrible rubberbanding) when I originally left for EQ, and I said why I left EQ....Graphics...Seems a little shallow, but everyone is different.  I also think you get to know certain people when you play mmos (guilds/friends), no one I played with thought AC was all that great (from memory) when mmos were ever brought up.  If you played AC and loved it, I imagine so did a lot of people you know....Same with me for EQ/UO.

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Dark Age of Camelot was the best mmo ever made up until ToA and NF.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by Vladamyre
    Dark Age of Camelot was the best mmo ever made up until ToA and NF.

DAoC was my favorite RvR type mmo, although the big nerfs/changes to classes almost a year after launch started to get old.  I know it is hard to get PvP right, but seems they didn't have a good plan, between that and the CC issues (which pretty much every PvP mmo suffers from these problems too).  Still my favorite, just had to point those things out.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

While I'm not playing WoW, it has to be WoW.

It was the game that made people who played MMOs say 'i play MMOs' and not be judged as strange by mainstream.

Heck, I used to avoid 'MMO players' pre-WoW and I was a gamer.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• GabiruGabiru Member UncommonPosts: 63
    none of the above.. Lineage 2 of course by a long shot
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Hatefull

Originally posted by jfoytek   Often you hear people reference EQ or UO and of course everyone compares everything to WoW....  But AC goes by relatively un talked about....

Funny, that is exactly what I was thinking. To be Honest, SWG for as much as I loved it (PRE NGE) was riddled with bugs as well. The difference being; I can admit it was not a perfect game, it was just perfect for me.

exactly.

between the bugs, the server crashes, the imbalanced pvp in SWGpreNGE, it was horrid by most standards. but i totally and absolutely loved it and so i didnt care.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• jfoytekjfoytek Member CommonPosts: 150

So far based off our limited survey base It would seem the game community is about....

35% Sandbox

50% PvP

65% Theampark

I believe these numbers prove there is plenty of room for the upcoming sandbox's to be very successful...

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    The PvP balance in AC1 wasn't worse than in UO... remember the "halberd tank mage"?

My computer is better than yours.