Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Youtube censorship and Steam snake oil sales.

NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

So TotalBiscuit made a video about Day One Gary's incident and how the devs claimed censorship on his video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfgoDDh4kE0&feature=c4-overview&list=UUy1Ms_5qBTawC-k7PVjHXKQ

You can find the original video on daily motion.

So the youtube censorship claim process is in need of some reform and I agree with everything he said in the video. Also I would like to say that Steam or any other company selling games should make sure they work before they sell them. I'm not talking about subjective opinions that a game might be "bad" I'm talking flat out broken games being sold. I hope something can be done to change both youtubes censorship claims and companies selling broken games.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    TB did say his standard letter "strongly implied" the video would be monenitze. Ofcourse his overall is spot on, but he did say "implied"...
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • iRelsiRels Member Posts: 14

Knew someone would post this; glad.

-

• ducesettutamducesettutam Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Searched daily motion and found nothing. Hows about you post the link.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by ducesettutam
    Searched daily motion and found nothing. Hows about you post the link.

http://www.dailymotion.com/ca-en/relevance/search/day+one+gary%27s+incident/1#video=x15fmac

Done.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    This is why I don't use kick starter nor early access. Developers who abuse the system and can't handle feedback should never be allowed to develop or have as much control.
  • DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Yeah, I watched this on TBs channel too.  He's absolutely right. 
  • ducesettutamducesettutam Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Thank you much.
  • HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839

"Posting privileges: Only players who own Day One: Garry's Incident are allowed to post in this forum. "

First time I have ever seen that on any Steam forums.  Was wondering why their forums seemed kind of mild compared to the 2 million views his video has had.

• sorattasoratta Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by Hulluck

"Posting privileges: Only players who own Day One: Garry's Incident are allowed to post in this forum. "

First time I have ever seen that on any Steam forums.  Was wondering why their forums seemed kind of mild compared to the 2 million views his video has had.

What better way to avoid flames/ranting on the forums than to quell the people who are capable of posting on it. Rather strict and really not all that productive, since now this news has spread everywhere.

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by soratta
    Originally posted by Hulluck

What better way to avoid flames/ranting on the forums than to quell the people who are capable of posting on it. Rather strict and really not all that productive, since now this news has spread everywhere.

True.

At the end of the original video is what I'm guessing triggered this whole thing.  It was pretty far below the belt and wouldn't call it professional as TB likes to soap box about more often than not.  Doesn't excuse what happened. I'm firmly in TB's court on this.

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Got to agree with tb here, this Game / mod looks crap.

Steam needs to check more on these types of games that they have for sale, there are quite a few games that are for sale that have massive bugs eg, they state multiplayer but the game will not work at all in multiplayer for anyone.

The warning bells sounded nearly a year ago now when WarZ was released in such a state that Seam had to refund gamers who had purchased said game, yet here we are and nothing seems to have changed. 

This really is a topic that Gaming sites need to pick up on, for once again we have crap or bug ridden games being released and there is no repercussion from the media. 

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Steam needs to stop the shady practice that got this game greenlit in the first place.

What they did was offer a free copy of the game to everyone that greenlit it. "would you play this game for free" isn't the same thing as "would you buy this game"

To be honest the whole greenlight thing needs work anyway. I think a better system would be.
    1 you must have a free demo as well as a pitch to go on greenlight
    2 people who play the demo rate it very good / good / average / poor / terrible
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

On the one hand, the developer has the right to deny people who aren't the developer from deriving income from their product. On the other hand, the developer's response isn't going to help sales of their product. On the third hand, which grows at the end of my pinky finger, the game never looked that good to begin with and I'm not sure why anyone would pay $20 for it, even without looking at the TB review. On the fourth hand, growing from my thumb, I think limiting forum posting on a game's forum to people who actually own the game is perfectly fine because there are tons of people who will jump on a band wagon without actually knowing anything about a game, and would fill a forum with nothing but noise.

On a side note, I think it would be really neat to have little hands growing out of the ends of each of our fingers, giving us 50 little fingers instead of 10.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.