Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Inactive Character? Better Check Your Email

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Trion Worlds has sent out an email as well as posted on the official Rift forums, that players with inactive characters will have their names cleared to make room for incoming players as server merges commence.

If one of your characters is going to be impacted by this change, you'll be getting an email from us in the next day or two with instructions. If you are one of these inactive characters and want to keep your name, you'll just need to log in with that character before October 23rd.

I also want to let you guys know that everyone who is transferring off a shard that is part of next week's unification will be receiving a title denoting where they previously hailed from. 

Read the full notice on the Rift site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    This is bollocks for some people that are on vacation/holiday. Not enough prior notice given.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Yea I've been logging on accounts for friends most of the day. Sucks though because you have to log on each character on each server : P Taking forever for just a handful of accounts.
  • BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Originally posted by Vannor
    This is bollocks for some people that are on vacation/holiday. Not enough prior notice given.

How long ago must you have logged in? I don't see them doing it for people who logged on a week or two ago.

I like that players are getting a title for their previous server. I wish other games (WAR) had done that. There was a lot of sever pride in WAR (heya Phoenix Throne).

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Hmmm, time to log in and out of Rift.  
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

It's just a very bad solution to a selfmade problem that shouldn't exist in first place.

Trion went from great to bad to worse within a very short time and one can see what will come after "worse".

• tedgartedgar Member Posts: 52

good thing i always choose name that no one seems to ever pick like "chestpoop" "hold my feces"

aborted fetus  and "the fellas guy" wich none are on rift

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

This is an absolute garbage way to force people to re-download and log in (imho).

Plus, there are already people logging into multple accounts and reserving names for characters they have no intention of using. The entire purpose of this is actually backfiring.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

Thus ensuring I never log in again... 

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    actually this is the best thing they could of done.  Giving priority for names to people who're PLAYING right now instead of someone who may never play again.
  • Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213
    Ugh. Trion has gone from having some of the best CS in the industry to some of the worst. A shame, but that's what happens when companies overextend themselves, I guess.
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    All I have to say is woopty do!!! I don't care what your doing while I'm away and never returning.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by Swedish_Chef
    Ugh. Trion has gone from having some of the best CS in the industry to some of the worst. A shame, but that's what happens when companies overextend themselves, I guess.

They outsource now, same company that does Perfect World's CS does Trions as well.

They will deny it to their dying day but I actually stumbled in to the same CS rep for both games one day and pinned her to the wall until she laughed and admitted she was the same girl I talked to earlier in the day.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Rift developers finally showing their true colors. Nice.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Some of the comments here are just pathetic. You guys are not playing the game for months; if not over a year and you are complaining that they will remove your name and give it to someone who is actively playing the game. how damaged someone's thought process has to be to hoard a simple character name in an online game that they don't play or never going to play? how pathetic someone's life  has to be to do such thing i wonder.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532
    Hmm, this reminds me that I am still paying on the 3 month premium plan. Haven't touched it in like 7 months...
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    good, i installed the game again but i want to rename all my characters. I would rename one from the cash shop if this announcement hadnt existed but not all them so this is a good thing for me. Looking forward to that email notification, Trion ;)

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    Lol what did u expect after it went F2p? A whole host of new servers?

All you people need to realise the outcomes of F2p.

Soon you will start to get substandard content. They are still fishing out content they made while the game had income.

I stopped playing long time ago. If your gonna be a wow clone at least do it well.

Another opinion being passed off as a fact. As if you know the internal working of the company.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Its a shame because at its core its a good game. Also some of the best housing. Trion just bit off way more than they could handle trying to do 4 games when they were in the stage of their life where they shoulda been focused on one, two the most

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• Protoman1Protoman1 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    This is a self-manufactured problem with every game that uses Character name as the unique identifier in their database. I don't understand why Character Name isn't just an attribute, like Titles in games. This was partially solved by Cryptic in 2009. Someone needs to fire the people that setup these databases.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
    -Plato

• blutigfaustblutigfaust Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by Protoman1
    This is a self-manufactured problem with every game that uses Character name as the unique identifier in their database. I don't understand why Character Name isn't just an attribute, like Titles in games. This was partially solved by Cryptic in 2009. Someone needs to fire the people that setup these databases.

Yes, I'm afraid I have to agree here. That is why RL US citizens has SSN as identifiers, instead of just names. If I had married one of my first GF, we would have had the same name with exact same spelling. Our first and middle names were the same only her last (family) name was different.

Current games playing: MechWarrior Online
    Games being watched:  Project Genom
    Favorite played games: SWG, RomaVictor, and Xsyon

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

I'm surprised you haven't written an article about the similar change in SWTOR coming soon , any inactive level 10 or lower will lose their names but no characters above level 30 will. No subscriber characters will lose their names. The information is a bit vague atm . These things have to be done from time to time. There's only so many character names you can have with a million "z's" or "x's" in them.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    I don't see what the big deal is.... If you haven't logged into a game for quite some time, then maybe it's not a game you are committed to playing in the first place.
  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

I stopped playing so don't really care one way or another but why the deletion. Are the best names taken? Is it only a marketing scheme to entice past players to return? 

I haven't received any such notice from other mmo's saying they'll take toons name back if i don't log back on. EQ, WoW, FFXI, AoC...any of them.

Meh, let them take my toon's name back, since I don't play I have no qualms about it. Curious as to the reasoning behind it though

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

This is an absolute garbage way to force people to re-download and log in (imho).

If the game isn't even installed on your system...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Pssht,..they can have/clear my 3 or 4 characters and their names.  I sure don't need them anymore.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor