Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why did you quit mmos?

123457»

Comments

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

You are kidding me right.

Madden football is "served up over and over" to console players for years, and it always sell well. How about CoD? One every year.

Yeah, but console gamers are too dumb to realise they're being shafted. Hence the reason why developers are dumbing down MMO's, so the console gamers can stare at the screen with eyes glazed, pressing buttons zombie-like, while watching the shiny flashes and massive messages of approval when they combine button presses. Hope they don't forget to wipe that drool away before it lands on the controller.

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 875

Well I quit a couple of games for different reasons

Daoc most of my friends stopped playing it.

Swg when they did the combat upgrade I quit then came back and quit after the nge to many Jedi's running around.

Lotro the longest game I have ever played close to six years I think. Turbine may have the worst case of tinkeritus any games devs posses constantly changing things like the new class changes they have made for the upcoming expansion you find a class you like playing and then they change it they were always to worried about balance and not worried enough about fun.

Rift  just did not think it was fun.

Swtor same as rift just did not enjoy it not sure why to be honest.

Lotro could not get back intop it I have a lvl cap toon but just got bored really easy.

Vanguard well I quit lotro to play this with my friends but they all left for one reason or another.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    I really dont understand why pc gamers hate console gamers so much. Seeing "pc master race" and such makes me want to break peoples neck. You guys holler about bad communities stopping you from playing a game when in fact ALL of you are bad people. You cant even accept someone gaming on a different device than you. Shame...
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 875
    Originally posted by monochrome19
    I really dont understand why pc gamers hate console gamers so much. Seeing "pc master race" and such makes me want to break peoples neck. You guys holler about bad communities stopping you from playing a game when in fact ALL of you are bad people. You cant even accept someone gaming on a different device than you. Shame...

Hey now lets not lump every person who posted here as some "pc master race" kinda people I play consoles all the time.

• jfoytekjfoytek Member CommonPosts: 150
    EQ Tried briefly couldn't stand it went back to Ultima Online
    Ultima Online Trammel ruined the game but I kept playing for quiet a while till a real life relationship failure made the game too painful to play is it was our thing thus I stopped playing and moved on....
    DAoC Just got burnt out didn't have the appeal that Ultima Online did
    SWG NGE
    Shadowbane.......... Didn't quit.  Was "forced" to.  Game was shutdown :(
    Atlantica Online The took away KJ and Looting during Kingdom wars thus making the game, Carebear...
    WOW Got tired of expansion after expansion after expansion forcing me as a pvper to have to go get more gear again and again and again instead of PvP...
    LotR Game seemed like WoW with a new name and less content, didn't see why I should play it when I could just play WoW
    Eve Jump, Jump, Jump 40 Minutes Later Jump Jump Jump.....  Oh lets go do the same quest over and over for rep, nah lets camp a gate to kill a noob, better yet lets mine rocks in space for a few hours....  Basically to much time spent doing nothing....  Not enough content - Wurmholes were the most interesting thing ever added to that game but it wasn't enough....
    Original Darkfall Game shut down on me.
    Mortal Online Game was fun but it became way way way too buggy...
    World War II Online Creation of the High Command and there focus on the southern portion of the map destroyed the Naval game, which was far and away my favorite aspect of the game...
    World Of Tanks Same repetitive 15 minute matches on the same maps over and over again.... 
    Star Trek Online Instancing and Single Player game with a chat box....  Not my cup of tea!
    SWTOR

Instancing and Single Player game with a chat box... AGAIN Not my cup of tea!!!

Perpetuum Better version of Eve Online....  lets travel time, but again lacking in ? something.... couldn't hold my attention
    Pirates of the Burning Seas Really quite fun, one of the few games that had quests I actually enjoyed doing, but its very nature makes it very 1 dynamic it seems like it needs a bit more of a land portion of the game once you reach max lvl and get the good ships you feel a bit like you have won and the game loses some interest.

Wurm Online

About the best thing out there, wish Rolf had money, this game could be amazing! (Current Game)

There are a lot of other games I could add to this list: Like Neverwinter which is too linear too quest oriented feel to much like WoW...  I want to play new games I don't want it to be linear heck I would rather not see any ? marks over heads...

But it can be summed up quiet easily in that I am sick of Instancing, Questing, and an inherit lack of Crafting and PVP....

The game world has been waiting for a successor to Ultima Online to carry the Sandbox genre on....

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

• jfoytekjfoytek Member CommonPosts: 150
    Originally posted by tsaweeos

The reason I quit playing mmorpg's is because I played with friends. We played D&D: Neverwinter together and communicated over skype. The combat was quite fun but their hardcore, power-leveling attitude killed it for me.

When turning in quests I would take a quick moment to look at my choice of rewards. My friends would just click whatever whilst accepting new quests and move on. I don't blame them for this mind you. I realize now that most side-quest rewards are junk but the fact that they would often shout "Hurry up!" as they ran ahead was annoying.

"Hold on I've got a full inventory." I would often reply as I run to a near by seller/vendor. (I like to see which high level armour or weapons I would like to keep, and sell off the rest.)

"Soo slow!" They would groan as they waited at a portal to a new dungeon or location ( I think party members had to be together before traveling to new places in that game).

They couldn't even give me five minutes to look at my skill tree to see how I could level my character. I would always have to keep up with them and at higher levels, get weaker because I couldn't properly level my character. I would just dump the points randomly and move on. (It turns out you're supposed to plan out your character in advance by looking at online skill tree generators before even downloading the game because that's how hardcore MMO players do.)

(Not that it mattered because I always seem to role-play my character wrong in a RPG and have to follow another person's build. You should've seen my first character in Diablo 2 it was a mess of AoE damage with little attack/defense.)

I would take a break and eat something, maybe watch an episode or two of a show (I'm not spending an entire day playing one game), jump back on to see them levels ahead. I don't blame them for playing ahead of me in a game they're excited to play. It's their leisure time and I respect that. Plus I knew I would have to catch up to them every time I wanted to take a break but again they would tell me to "catch up" while still leveling ahead of me, doing new quests.

By day three, they're running around on horses. I don't yet have enough gold to buy one. They're still levels ahead of me but they were feeling generous and went back to help me level but at this stage in the game, the side quests are spread across the map to encourage you to buy mounts. Again they would tell me to "Hurry up", blazing past me as they rub it in my face that I don't yet have a mount. "See look I'm already at the other side of the npc."

At this point they're just trolling my slowness and not being serious about it. By day 4 or 5 they completely lost interest in playing the game, saying it was boring (One of them went back to WoW).

Their fast-paced attitude made me realize MMORPG's just weren't worth my time. They had a fucking personality change whenever we got in game.

[Insert roid-rage voice here] "UGHH MAX LEVEL MAX GEAR SON!"

"Hey guys could you wait for a sec while I-"

"NO! MAX LEVEL MAX GEAR!".

I don't care about hitting level cap to prove that I'm a hero of a made up land.

I don't care about making my avatar look unique among other players (see this http://mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/7693/MMORPGComic-Immersion.html)

Even when you get high level or "end game" gear, mobs at the same level or higher will still do a lot of damage to you to the point where you get killed in one or two hits. I know that players want a challenge but it comes at the cost of making you feel like you never get stronger over the course of the adventure.

You have painted a very accurate picture of the Theam Park, Instanced WoW genre of MMO's....  its sad you never had a chance to play Ultima Online, the layed back nature of a sandbox where everyday was a different adventure of your choosing was great.....  I really miss those days!

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem