Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Browser MMO's - Any non-pay2win out there?

littleXurolittleXuro Member Posts: 37

I have searched everywhere but every browser MMO I try seems to be made to try squeeze as much out of you as possible before you realise how lackluster the game is. The pay2win item shops seem to be very bad in browser MMO's.

Are there any high quality browser mmo's that focus on either sub or item mall with vanity items only?

Comments

• AtlysAtlys Member Posts: 69

Well I haven't played free Runescape in a few years, but from what I hear they are removing more and more restrictions on those without membership. Runescape, at least when I played it from middle school to my senior year of high school, was worth the (at the time) 5 dollars a month membership. But it requires no money at all for extra things whether you are a member or not.

You can earn everything in-game, and I don't think you can even pay real money for anything but membership. The free players and the members are also separated, so even if you don't pay, you are on equal footing with everyone else in your server. (Or at least equal footing is an attainable goal) I would say give it a shot and see if you like it. I hear it has made some changes that I personally do not care for (like changes to the combat) but for someone starting fresh, I don't think that would be a problem.

If Runescape is not your cup of tea then I wish you the best of luck in finding what you are looking for, and I hope someone else will post a game to your liking.

Best of luck to you,

Atlys

On the eternal quest for that one perfect MMO.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by littleXuro

Are there any high quality browser mmo's

no

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Why are you looking for browser-based in particular?  Being browser-based really cripples what you can do with a game.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Why are you looking for browser-based in particular?  Being browser-based really cripples what you can do with a game.

Chromebook?

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Eldevin will go live shortly , great game , nicley done classes and skill system , extensive useful crafting, Well done quest lines and lore .. In a beautiful hand crafted world.. ...You should be able to get a key at there site ..

http://eldevin.com/

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I played through City of Steam in Beta, and it really didn't seem to be a P2W game. It's been awhile since I've looked at it though.

It uses the Unity game engine, which doesn't limit what can be done through a browser very much.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I played through City of Steam in Beta, and it really didn't seem to be a P2W game. It's been awhile since I've looked at it though.

It uses the Unity game engine, which doesn't limit what can be done through a browser very much.

The problem isn't this game engine versus that one.  There are a number of problems with going browser-based, such as that you can't get much use out of the video card.

You don't know if a game is pay to win until you've seen the final item mall.  In beta, there is often a lighter item mall or none at all, so of course it's not pay to win at that point.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Runescape.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Runescape is p2w these days unfortanately 

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    Originally posted by emperorwings
    Runescape is p2w these days unfortanately 

No it is not. Runescape does have a cash shop called solomon's general store. All of the items are novelty and cosmetic. It also has a daily wheel spin thing. And while you can buy tickets for it. There are demonstrations on you tube of people paying a lot of money for around 400 tickets, burning through them all and realizing they could have done far better in the same time by just playing the game.

And you can also buy Bonds now. Bonds are redeemable for membership days credit, rune coins (the cosmetic cash shop currency) and spin tickets. There has been some controversy over them as players can sell them in-game for in-game currency. But, there is a built in money sink on the trading of them, and the player that ultimately ends up using the bond will benefit equally to the player who sells the bond (this also allows industrious players to earn their membership and cosmetic items through play).

Some of their more recent decisions walk a fine line. But, anything one might consider p2w on the surface has some major counter balances.

Additionally, Runescape has reworked it's combat system from the ground up, introduced a deeply customizable interface and has an HTML 5 version with much better graphics (and the base ability for them to later make the game playable on mobile devices like tablets and smart phones). The java version of the game is also live with the HTML5 beta. And members can play the 07' version of the game as well (the only version not live with the current game).

Jagex (Runescape's parent company) is also in association with Hasbro now, to produce a new browser based MMORPG called "Transformers Universe" (so that is on the distant future horizon).

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    The Hunter is a nice looking browser game but its not really a MMO....FOr those that dont think good graphics are possible in a browser game they should play it using Firefox.