Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMOs are you excited for?

2»

Comments

• xanthmetisxanthmetis Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    Originally posted by Ender4

My hopes fall on EQ Next and Star Citizen. The rest of what I see seems to be more of what is already out there which doesn't interest me at all.

I beleive EQNext has potential but would not cross my fingers.I have been supporting SOE for many years and have a very good picture of how they do business.

SOE does create decent or good games but they show a lack of effort or do not care about much after the game is released.Example is bugs,they really do a horrible job in quality control but are utilizing more resources to making sure the next item for cash shop is ready to go.

I have always been happy with SOE's GM/support work imo the best there is and is probably their strongest point as a business.Aside from their rushed coding mistakes they lack the ability to think outside the box,it is like the same guy is making all the decisions ,so there is no new blood to creative thinking.

If you look at Next what are they doing for creative thinking?Well the emotes or automated jumps and slides are nice they are not content,they are features.A Minecraft simulation is again a feature not a creative content idea.Player made content will be restricted but is at least as minimal creative idea but again not SOE's.See the problem,SOE is the one lacking in creative content ideas,they are good at delivering features,usually have a nice looking game but are simply not very creative.

Yo ucan even look further int othe combat structure,is limiting a player to 4 choices really being creative?Ok add in another 4 from another class ,again is that creative content or just a limiting feature?SOE lacks the ability to bring all those features together and create something unique in game play,instead  my gut tells me they will deliver features but game play will be the same old.

Bottom line is 15 years of the same old gets real boring,we need a developer that can be creative in it's features AND content and bring it all together oh and all the while giving us some nice visuals,effects,graphics.

Every game in the future is going to have a lot of the same philosphy as past MMO's.  Think of Science or in any field of study.  People in the past discover things and people in the future tend to build of them those things and improve on them.  That does not mean you do not change part of the foundation from time to time. 

I think in terms of the science as I am in the medical field so bare with me.  A new medication or treatment for a patience is made from existing substances known to aide a patient.  As future research is develop new medications/treatments are derived from existing chemicals/substances.  Sometimes you find that things in the past were not always good for you and new ideas are things are being discovered.  But adding x, y, z make a new medication that has a greater benefit to the patient. 

I see EQN as doing this.  They are taking things from different areas in the genre and linking them all into one.  They are editing on their way to make all the ingredients work together.  The ideas may not be new, but putting them together in a different way; you produce a new product.  I would hope that all their ideas are not new ideas, because there are alot of things that work for the genre :)

With this said.  I was highly disappointed with EQ2 coming from EQ1.  So, I understand your trepidation and I am hoping for the best.  No pressure EQN, but try not to disappoint us it may your last chance :)

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198

EQNext.  Not because its necassarly the game for me but because it's moving away from WoW trend.  At least I hope.  

ESO seems like it might be fun to play for awhile.  But lack of sandbox just doesn't interest me as much anymore.  I've wait years for another good sandbox to arrive lol.  

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    ya i'd say EQL/N i am looking forward to, but the only game recently to really peak my interest is The Division. hoping it turns out alright for the PC.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Starbound is the one I'm looking forwards too that should release first

After that Eso, eqn, cu, wod, elite dangerous, starcitizen all looking forwards too.
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    EQNext, Star Citizen, Shroud of the Avatar...
  • xanthmetisxanthmetis Member UncommonPosts: 141
    5. CU:  how could i forget this.  I just how an indie studio is up the challenge.  Their founding principles sound great and the foundation of the game.  The pvp sounds like it could be amazing in this game.  This is my second most anticipated under eqn. 
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    World of Warcraft and of course I am always excited for the upcoming mmorpg's EqNext probably the most depending on what payment model actually takes flight if it stays f2p well I will probably skip it too. Wildstar and Eso are exciting. I dunno I guess when you say "excited" the payment models just take the wind out of my sails. I don't really get excited anymore for video games.
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

EVERYTHING! Am I allowed to say that? I'm not one to pick and choose a single mmo to stick with for the rest of my life and currently FFXIV is racking up a lot of playtime with me but I'm a MMORPG enthusiast first and a fanboi second. The genre is looking brighter with so many potential gems on the horizon. And I'm a player of all styles:

• PvE
    • PvP
    • Sandbox
    • Themepark
    • Traditional fantasy
    • Non-traditional fantsy
    • Sub
    • F2P
    • B2P
    There are so many choices. You need to diversify you bonds! Wu-Tang Financials

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Chile267Chile267 Member UncommonPosts: 141

Probably Star Citizen, City of Titans (if they get investors), Blizzards next MMO, and anything else in the next 3-5 years that surprises me.

• PyrcyvylPyrcyvyl Member Posts: 3
    Blizzard's next, ESO, and continuing Eve.

• maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511
    Archeage and Black Desert.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    I am excited for the possibility of the opposite of what Nariusseldon espouses.  Please give us a world that isn't a throwaway.  Please make it so inconvenient and unwieldy yet rewarding and immersive that Narius throws up his hands and says, "Yeah, I get what you guys is talkin bout"  He or she will be so confounded by the deep and immersive world that he or she has been denegrating for so long that it will cause an about-face in his or her attitude towards games that have any sort of depth.  My grammatical structure may be lacking but I have a heart in this dog race.  Vote Nader.
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

If you look at Next what are they doing for creative thinking?Well the emotes or automated jumps and slides are nice they are not content,they are features.A Minecraft simulation is again a feature not a creative content idea.Player made content will be restricted but is at least as minimal creative idea but again not SOE's.See the problem,SOE is the one lacking in creative content ideas,they are good at delivering features,usually have a nice looking game but are simply not very creative.

Dynamic mob spawns. Improved AI. Building a world instead of series of quest hubs. It is the general focus of the game that I find interesting, not the specific features. If I go to a zone in most MMORPG it will look the same no matter what server I'm on. If I go to it in GW2 or Rift it might have 2 or 3 different states but eventually it will look the same no matter what server I'm on. EQN is a game where I can go to the same area on multiple servers and see a different thing, assuming they pull it off. This has been a huge missing part of these games since the early days of UO/AC.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    World of Darkness image
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Black Desert, nothing else is even close.

Wildstar and Everquest Next have my interest but I am doubtful they will last past a few weeks of playtime.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861

In order, from "curious" to "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY"

5 - The Elder Scrolls Online: I am iffy about it but I love Tamriel and would feel like a traitor not giving a return to it a go, even if I am skeptical about several gameplay elements and overall design choices.

4 - ArcheAge: Though I don't know a ton about it, there are some cool design elements going on here and I love a sandbox. Once I can play legally and in english, I will definitely give it a whirl.

3 - Star Citizen: Chris effing Roberts. Space Sim with a persistent online universe available. No publisher shackles. DAY ONE. Super stoked about this. Would have been #2, but I am more a fantasy guy, and my top 2 are just too exciting.

2 - EverQuest Next: Beautiful vision, model, and ideas going on here, with a proven developer and IP. The ability to play in Norrath or player-driven sandboxes is awesome, and I am genuinely excited about how they are handing skills and classes. The real deal, and probably the next MMO I am going to fall in love with. Hoping for a hardcore server, but will play no matter what. They are going to have to do something really out there to mess this up.

1 - Camelot Unchained: I don't care if it's foolish or unfounded to have this much hype about a game that is mostly just ideas, concept art, character models, and a game engine (in progress) right now. I have never been this excited about a game. The basic idea is awesome. The lore is shaping up to be intense. The RvR focus makes my feet do a happy dance (of death.) CSE seems genuinely excited and proud of their baby. It is ambitious and creative and unapologetically ITSELF, and my DAoC days were the best days of gaming I have ever had. (Though this isn't DAoC 2, I still can't help but think some of that magic will shine through.)

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

D3 expansion

Destiny

Division

... strictly speaking, they are not MMOs, but close enough for me.

Ya I am looking forward to the division too, but the release date is like this time next year crazy far away.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by bcbully
    World of Darkness image

this x 1000

and Star Citizen + Black Desert :))

the end

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    Originally posted by bcbully
    World of Darkness image

I would try this one out too, is there an eta on when it is even coming out or is it years away?