Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMOs are you excited for?

Hi, all!

So, I'm still very new to MMOs and decided that rather than keep trying to get into older MMOs who either already have a leveled up fan base or one that is lacking, I'd just wait for the new ones to roll in.

I've already signed up for beta on EverQuest Next and Aura Kingdom.

Black Desert looks really cool, but I don't know when/if we'd get it in the US.

Elder Scrolls Online sounds and looks amazing, but not sure I'd have the funds to continously play it right now.

I hear they are making a Mabinogi 2, which might be cool. I heard the original was quite different and fun.

I'm more interested in PVE than PVP, to be honest. I mean, I'll try PVP, but it doesn't immerse me as much

Cutscenes and dialogue are nice, but not required.

Story means a lot to me, but I realize that many MMOs, even new ones, are not going to get that in depth.

I play a variety of games on console, usually of the adventure/action category.

I'd say my favorite series so far are Legend of Zelda, Uncharted, and Elder Scrolls due to their adventures and story, and my favorite non-series game is The Last of Us.

Are there any others you'd recommend?

What are you excited for?

I admit I don't know all of the upcoming ones out there, so please be kind.

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes."
-Marcel Proust

Comments

• lolunaticlolunatic Member Posts: 108
    Wildstar, is there even anything else???
  • meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    SoTA, only because I pledged $140 and I feel like I have to care. Other than that, nothing.
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723

The Elder Scrolls Online & Pathfinder Online.

Black Desert looks awesome but unfortunately its not playable in the US.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Excited?  I'm not excited about any MMOs right now.  There are some games I'm intrigued about.  That's about it.
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

My hopes fall on EQ Next and Star Citizen. The rest of what I see seems to be more of what is already out there which doesn't interest me at all.

• TinkerballerTinkerballer Member Posts: 8

First off OP, welcome to the addicting pleasurable dramatic world of MMO's.

You are wise to wait for a new mmo to launch because playing older mmo's can be fun, but you often find yourself leveling alone or have trouble finding groups because most of the server is already leveled up.

Now I will cut to the chase. All the mmo's coming out are basically the same fantasy world type crap. Most stuff out  there are WoW clones with a gimmick attached and an updated graphic engine. Basically the same crap with a different skin.

There is ONE and only ONE MMO out there that is going to blow your mind. It is going to revolutionize the PC gaming industry. It has shattered the crowd funding record by hitting 23 million dollars in just one year. This magnum opus, this modern day Michael Angelo of a game is called STAR CITIZEN.

If you want to wait for a game. Star Citizen is the game to wait for.

Simply, Star Citizen, there is no substitute.

It already has a community of just over 250,000 players and the game is not going to launch until the end of 2014. But, it will be worth the wait. Here is the link and enjoy: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

Now I will cut to the chase. All the mmo's coming out are basically the same fantasy world type crap. Most stuff out there are WoW clones with a gimmick attached and an updated graphic engine. Basically the same crap with a different skin.

This post is just awful advice. I am as exited about Star Citizen as anyone but suggesting that every fantasy MMORPG has to be a WoW clone is just ridiculous. Sure most of them are but then again the latest space MMORPG to come out was a WoW clone too (SWTOR). The background for the game does not matter as much as the content.

• TinkerballerTinkerballer Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Ender4

Now I will cut to the chase. All the mmo's coming out are basically the same fantasy world type crap. Most stuff out there are WoW clones with a gimmick attached and an updated graphic engine. Basically the same crap with a different skin.

This post is just awful advice. I am as exited about Star Citizen as anyone but suggesting that every fantasy MMORPG has to be a WoW clone is just ridiculous. Sure most of them are but then again the latest space MMORPG to come out was a WoW clone too (SWTOR). The background for the game does not matter as much as the content.

The only reason why I made the above statement is because I am pretty much correct. The only MMO coming out over the next year that has impressed me is Star Citizen. Everything else sounds like the same old same old. Yes, SWTOR is basically a WoW clone with a Star Wars skin. That is my point. Thanks.

Originally posted by Tinkerballer
    The only reason why I made the above statement is because I am pretty much correct. The only MMO coming out over the next year that has impressed me is Star Citizen. Everything else sounds like the same old same old. Yes, SWTOR is basically a WoW clone with a Star Wars skin. That is my point. Thanks.

EQN is further from WoW than SC is to be honest.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Don't listen to the cynics, OP. Get out there and just play something. Try all kinds of stuff. There are tons of mmos you can jump into for free.

Don't end up like one of these jaded talking heads. All they do is crap on whats out and put all their hopes and dreams into dev blogs and tech demos. They spend years waiting for their perfect game. When it finally comes, they last about a month, then come back to tell their tale of woe.

• SplashyatomSplashyatom Member UncommonPosts: 6
    There is one answer to this question. Elder Scrolls Online.. Nothing else.
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    I'm Looking forward to Archeage and Everquest next I wish the Elderscrolls online was something I was looking forward too but they seem to have made some poor choices. 
  • ResetgunResetgun Member Posts: 471
    None.

"I know I said this was my last post, but you my friend are a idiotic moron." -Shadow4482

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    The only offering that is promising anything new is the Chris Robert's venture.  I'm not too excited about the other things.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315

To the OP - You haven't given us enough information about what you like in a game.  For High Fantasy , EQ, EQ2 and WoW are older but still have some playability.  For Sci-Fi there is SWTOR.  For FPS check out PlanetSide 2.  But don't stop there.  Check out the list on this site and if the game is free-to-play (including the base software) then the only thing you loose is time. 

Go and play and remember it is what is fun to you that matters not what may be fun to others.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Elder Scrolls Online and Everquest Next.  Nothing even remotely close to those 2 in terms of pure excitement.  Possibly Star Citizen as a distant 3rd but only because the developer is a smart man. 

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Tinkerballer

First off OP, welcome to the addicting pleasurable dramatic world of MMO's.

You are wise to wait for a new mmo to launch because playing older mmo's can be fun, but you often find yourself leveling alone or have trouble finding groups because most of the server is already leveled up.

Now I will cut to the chase. All the mmo's coming out are basically the same fantasy world type crap. Most stuff out  there are WoW clones with a gimmick attached and an updated graphic engine. Basically the same crap with a different skin.

There is ONE and only ONE MMO out there that is going to blow your mind. It is going to revolutionize the PC gaming industry. It has shattered the crowd funding record by hitting 23 million dollars in just one year. This magnum opus, this modern day Michael Angelo of a game is called STAR CITIZEN.

If you want to wait for a game. Star Citizen is the game to wait for.

Simply, Star Citizen, there is no substitute.

It already has a community of just over 250,000 players and the game is not going to launch until the end of 2014. But, it will be worth the wait. Here is the link and enjoy: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

EQ and ESO are about as far removed from WoW clone as Star Citizen is.  The only reason I rank Star Citizen in distant 3rd is because it's sci-fi and I have always hated sci-fi as a gaming genre.  Fantasy or Post Apocalyptic are the only 2 genres I enjoy as far as MMO's are concerned.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

D3 expansion

Destiny

Division

... strictly speaking, they are not MMOs, but close enough for me.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Sadly none,developers are moving in the wrong direction,i see no bright star in the horizon.

EQ:Next is doing a few things that are nice but in the end it will be a lot of the same old ,missing some key elements that would make a great MMORPG.

SOE in all of their games tend to follow a set pattern,they make the design so it is easy to follow up with content.Example is tiers of crafting,every tier is basically identical to the last.How about tiers in spells, again instead of creating NEW they tend to rehash old and just make them higher tiers.Even WOW does this with armour,just make the next armour a higher tier.

None are showing the ability to think and make things more realistic which is quite possible,even inside of Fantasy gaming.

I have yet to see a game besides FFXI's Besieged create scenarios where players come together to take on large scale foes and keep them from taking over valuable resources or capturing prisoners.FFXI is an extremely limited game,it is bound by the PS2 ,however that does not mean OTHER developers can't learn from it and go much further in the design.We saw a weak example in Rifts,too small and no real purpose,just spawning nodes that happen the same every time and in the same places.Rifts were more like FFXI Campaigns,go figure again it is FFXI doing the creating while other games are stagnant.

Even yet again FFXI has created a system where players can play the mobs in the game and level up as those mobs,why is it only one game doing all the creating of content while other devs are sitting on such weak efforts?

Really sad that FFXI came out 10 years ago on the PS2 and still rules the roost for content creation.

Somewhere a developer needs to step up, i had hoped it was Jake Song but AA will again be pretty much the same old gaming as all the rest with little much to the imagination.Just like EQNext there will be a few ideas in Archeage example the hand gliding is cool and open housing is a new idea and physics but still we will be running from NPC marker to NPC marker doing meaningless tasks or pvp'ing.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• xanthmetisxanthmetis Member UncommonPosts: 141

1. EQN: by far this is the one I am looking forward to most.  Just awaiting the information on pvp. 

2.  Bless:  Looks interesting and highly pvp focused; korean scares me a bit.

3.  ESO:  I wish this was completely OWPVP and any race good go to any land at anytime.  I am interested to see how their ava turns out and hopefully it wont be a zerg fest.  I prefer small sized battles that require skill, so this game is still on my maybe list.

• xanthmetisxanthmetis Member UncommonPosts: 141
    4. World of Darkness: Is this game even being still produced?  I think the pvp and controlling things would make for an interesting setup.
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

Everquest Next without any second thoughts.

This looks like the much anticipated mould breaker that will lead MMOs in a new direction. Hopefully at least.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Ender4

My hopes fall on EQ Next and Star Citizen. The rest of what I see seems to be more of what is already out there which doesn't interest me at all.

I beleive EQNext has potential but would not cross my fingers.I have been supporting SOE for many years and have a very good picture of how they do business.

SOE does create decent or good games but they show a lack of effort or do not care about much after the game is released.Example is bugs,they really do a horrible job in quality control but are utilizing more resources to making sure the next item for cash shop is ready to go.

I have always been happy with SOE's GM/support work imo the best there is and is probably their strongest point as a business.Aside from their rushed coding mistakes they lack the ability to think outside the box,it is like the same guy is making all the decisions ,so there is no new blood to creative thinking.

If you look at Next what are they doing for creative thinking?Well the emotes or automated jumps and slides are nice they are not content,they are features.A Minecraft simulation is again a feature not a creative content idea.Player made content will be restricted but is at least as minimal creative idea but again not SOE's.See the problem,SOE is the one lacking in creative content ideas,they are good at delivering features,usually have a nice looking game but are simply not very creative.

Yo ucan even look further int othe combat structure,is limiting a player to 4 choices really being creative?Ok add in another 4 from another class ,again is that creative content or just a limiting feature?SOE lacks the ability to bring all those features together and create something unique in game play,instead  my gut tells me they will deliver features but game play will be the same old.

Bottom line is 15 years of the same old gets real boring,we need a developer that can be creative in it's features AND content and bring it all together oh and all the while giving us some nice visuals,effects,graphics.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

A few have caught my eye.

Elder Scrolls Online, Wildstar, EQN, Camelot Unchained, The Re-Population and The Division.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Destiny , the division( R.I.P. Tom Clancy ) and PSO2 ( if they ever release our version for gods sake! )

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]