Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm going to try TOR

What would be a good PvE server for a player from NZ? Thanks.

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Yeah Red Eclipse would be my suggestion too. I too recently came back to try the new content update. I subbed and it is very active server. For all 3 to 4 hours i played i had no problem finding groups. There are players everywhere.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• F2Pelerin118F2Pelerin118 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Awesome, thanks - I'll probably roll on Red Eclipse then and sub if I enjoy it. I hear that the F2P restrictions are pretty bad, lol.
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    I just went back to SWTOR and Red Eclipse seems to be pretty active. Rolled a new toon and seeing lots of people people in every zone. And ignore SWG crowd like someone suggested.
  • crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by F2Pelerin118
    What would be a good PvE server for a player from NZ? Thanks.

Until recently there were APAC servers based somewhere in Oz. Sadly, they are no more. I found that I wasn't able to get a reasonable connection from NZ to any of the west coast US servers, and that was the end of TOR for me. Hope you have better luck (or at least, a better ISP). 

Not sure why anyone would recommend a European server like Red Eclipse over a US west coast one, given the 11-12 hour time difference and the fact that you are on the opposite side of the world. Certainly wouldn't be my first choice.

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Red Eclipse is hands down the most popular EU server. Also, create some characters on the imp side. They are way more mature, especially on Red Eclipse.

you can also check www.torstatus.net for 24hours/weekly/monthly population server patterns and decide if the server peak time coincides with your playing time.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Ebon Hawk is a RP/PVE server and has people all over the place , not sre about the time difference between NZ , EU and US , so you might wan't to consider that too. I think you will like the game , a lot of fun working through the story on both factions , even working through all 8 classes is fun , enjoy!

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

New Zealand is 12 hours difference, as when EU are retiring to bed NZ is waking up and vice versa

Here is the Red Eclipse at 2am which will be 2pm in New Zealand, I am the only one playing!

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314

You know, I have decided to go check the game back out again too since I have Preferred Player Status and I think I have the expansion too. I am not sure, the way they have their F2P model set up is less than logical, imo....

I was a bit dismayed when I asked what was different these days in general, the overall answer was, "Nothing!"

Then again, maybe people were being asses.... 

Hey, I played for a little while last night and it didn't take me long to sub - it's not bad at all, granted I'm only level 4 and running around Tython. I like it though and figure it's worth subbing to play as intended, oh and on-topic: I ended up rolling on Beregen Colony (I think it's called) the West RP server due to some advice from folks on Facebook - population seems fine, I can't go far without seeing other people around so that's nice.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697
    Originally posted by F2Pelerin118

Hey, I played for a little while last night and it didn't take me long to sub - it's not bad at all, granted I'm only level 4 and running around Tython. I like it though and figure it's worth subbing to play as intended, oh and on-topic: I ended up rolling on Beregen Colony (I think it's called) the West RP server due to some advice from folks on Facebook - population seems fine, I can't go far without seeing other people around so that's nice.

Well.

It's your money, do what you want with it.

If you're a SW-enthusiast you'll be quite satisfied in the long run. If you're more like MMO-enthusiast, you'll see why people left the game and never looked back.

GL in any case.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by TheRealDarkeus

I was a bit dismayed when I asked what was different these days in general, the overall answer was, "Nothing!"

If you've ever played an mmo before you should know not to ask questions like that in general chat. That's something you ask in guild chat once you join or on forums if you're willing to wade through the trolls.

The best you can hope for out of a general chat is a one word answer. Anything more than that and their stupid might show.

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by DamonVile

If you've ever played an mmo before you should know not to ask questions like that in general chat. That's something you ask in guild chat once you join or on forums if you're willing to wade through the trolls.

The best you can hope for out of a general chat is a one word answer. Anything more than that and their stupid might show.

On the contrary though, SWTOR community is mostly helpful on Red Eclipse where i play. Whenever i ask questions, i get a ton of replies back.

Also, remember that most servers have better players on Imperial side, this has been my experience from the 5 servers i created toons on, when i started the game, to decide a starting server.

Also, as everyone has said, ignore the SWG haters that will invade the thread for no reason. If you have any doubts about how active the game is, check

http://www.torstatus.net

The statistics are more of a proof that haters posting lies and biased stuff here.

Begeran Colony is the most active server in the game as of now and will be in Heavy (which generally implies 600+ people on each fleet and 200+ on most planets) 25-40% per day depending on the day of the week.

• pmcubedpmcubed Member Posts: 289

Nooooooooooo~~~ ... get it? that was a Star Wars reference.

if you take it slowly, its pretty fun for a bit~

Originally posted by pmcubed

Nooooooooooo~~~ ... get it? that was a Star Wars reference.

if you take it slowly, its pretty fun for a bit~

Lol.

That's not true.  That's impossible!!! 

• TalmagdonTalmagdon Member UncommonPosts: 21

Pfft, lol.  Yeah, this is not my first rodeo.  I was just seeing what the little maniacs were going to say.  Of course, I will be the final judge of if it has changed since I was a Founder in the first year.

Ah, General Chat. Rule #1: If playing Republic switch this off asap. Only have General running on my imp toons because (on Red Eclipse) players there are actually cooperative and friendly. Well, for the most part.

Not sure about you, but I left after Rise of the Rakghouls in Jan '12 and came back  about 8 months later to quite a different game. Since then there have been changes to certain core mechanics and gameplay elements as well, so I can imagine that anyone returning after even as much as 4 months would see something different. Do you mind me asking when you left the game?

Some people think trading in the shotgun for the BFG2000 makes the game easier. It just allows you to enter a higher difficulty level.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by youvewasted2yrs
    Red eclipse is a popular Europe server.  Also please ignore the SWG haters that will be hijacking this thread very soon. They are some desperate grown men who have been bashing this game they dont play for 2 years now.  

I'm a grown man. 

I'm a SWG vet.

I play SWTOR.

I still don't think SWTOR is more than a mediocre singleplayer game with a MMO backdrop and not even close to "awesomeness" or the overused and wrongly used hip term: epic.

Originally posted by Talmagdon

Pfft, lol.  Yeah, this is not my first rodeo.  I was just seeing what the little maniacs were going to say.  Of course, I will be the final judge of if it has changed since I was a Founder in the first year.

Ah, General Chat. Rule #1: If playing Republic switch this off asap. Only have General running on my imp toons because (on Red Eclipse) players there are actually cooperative and friendly. Well, for the most part.

Not sure about you, but I left after Rise of the Rakghouls in Jan '12 and came back  about 8 months later to quite a different game. Since then there have been changes to certain core mechanics and gameplay elements as well, so I can imagine that anyone returning after even as much as 4 months would see something different. Do you mind me asking when you left the game?

I played from launch until six months out from there.  I have a Jedi Knight around level 40 I believe and then I have an Imperial Agent who I am playing around with now (Never got her too leveled up).  I think I came back around Rise of the Rakghouls for a month

Ironically, this was on the Imperial side.  I can't remember what server I am on.  Lol, I need to check that.

And I will say, there has been changes to the game, I can feel that.

However, I will probably need to sub.  I really don't like how they remind you every turn, "You know, if you subscribe we won't annoy the hell out of you telling you to subscribe!"  However, I cam tell there have been changes to the game and my Gaming Computer plays it wonderfully. 

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by superniceguy

New Zealand is 12 hours difference, as when EU are retiring to bed NZ is waking up and vice versa

Here is the Red Eclipse at 2am which will be 2pm in New Zealand, I am the only one playing!

Did you enjoy playing with yourself? :-)

There Is Always Hope!

I played from launch until six months out from there.  I have a Jedi Knight around level 40 I believe and then I have an Imperial Agent who I am playing around with now (Never got her too leveled up).  I think I came back around Rise of the Rakghouls for a month

Ironically, this was on the Imperial side.  I can't remember what server I am on.  Lol, I need to check that.

However, I will probably need to sub.  I really don't like how they remind you every turn, "You know, if you subscribe we won't annoy the hell out of you telling you to subscribe!"  However, I cam tell there have been changes to the game and my Gaming Computer plays it wonderfully. 

Nice! The agent is supposed to be one of the best stories in game, and definitely the best ship. Surprised to hear about the imp general chat though. I've never had any problems except the occasional Starter planet (Korriban and Hutta). Ah well, there are always exceptions.

To be honest, you don't need a subscription to play the game anymore. Quite a few people I know have been buying account unlocks on the GTN, stopping their subscription and then just applying all those unlocks to their account to continue playing as they always have. The only thing is that they need to farm credits every week to get their weekly passes and to access any funds in escrow ... not really an issue considering that a single 50-55 can earn 1.5 mil+ a week by doing dailies religiously.

As far as changes, f2p now have the kind of grind we had back at launch, preferred have it easier and subscribers can get a toon levelled from 1 to 55 in ridiculous amounts of time (a guildie of mine did his second toon in just a little over 50 hours). Lots more operations for end-game, new tiers of gear and a lot of the old end-game gear from when you played has been phased out. They've also added new warzones for PvP as well as smaller 4v4 arenas for faster combat. They've actually started having events in game, as well as achievements and a groupfinder queue that works for levelling as well as end-game. They finally implemented HK (the assassin droid following in the footsteps of HK-47 from KOTOR 1&2), but you need to go to an area called section x (a special daily area on Belsavis) to start the quest line to assemble him.

Combat changes ... Sage/Sorc dps is still recovering from the great nerf. Commandos/Mercenaries make a far more effective caster class ... they can't throw AoEs as often, but they hit harder (single target and AoE) and they have infinitely greater survivability. When 2.0 went live, the new DR on the crit curve made the stat not viable post level 50 (for DPS classes). Sentis/Maras are still the best single target melee DPS, but Slingers/Snipers now stand so far ahead on single target that there's no competition. Shadow/Assassin specs are a lot tougher to play optimally. Guardians/Juggs have become stand out tanks and their melee DPS is now one of the most lethal. Scoundrel/Operative healing is finally working well so all three healing classes are more balanced. Vanguards/Powertechs are being rebalanced a lot and still need work ... 2.0 boosted them quite a bit and the correctional measures nerfed them enough that Bioware reps have let the community know that work is being done to fix the balance with them.

Those are all the changes I can think of. Hope that helps.

Some people think trading in the shotgun for the BFG2000 makes the game easier. It just allows you to enter a higher difficulty level.

Nice! The agent is supposed to be one of the best stories in game, and definitely the best ship. Surprised to hear about the imp general chat though. I've never had any problems except the occasional Starter planet (Korriban and Hutta). Ah well, there are always exceptions.

To be honest, you don't need a subscription to play the game anymore. Quite a few people I know have been buying account unlocks on the GTN, stopping their subscription and then just applying all those unlocks to their account to continue playing as they always have. The only thing is that they need to farm credits every week to get their weekly passes and to access any funds in escrow ... not really an issue considering that a single 50-55 can earn 1.5 mil+ a week by doing dailies religiously.

As far as changes, f2p now have the kind of grind we had back at launch, preferred have it easier and subscribers can get a toon levelled from 1 to 55 in ridiculous amounts of time (a guildie of mine did his second toon in just a little over 50 hours). Lots more operations for end-game, new tiers of gear and a lot of the old end-game gear from when you played has been phased out. They've also added new warzones for PvP as well as smaller 4v4 arenas for faster combat. They've actually started having events in game, as well as achievements and a groupfinder queue that works for levelling as well as end-game. They finally implemented HK (the assassin droid following in the footsteps of HK-47 from KOTOR 1&2), but you need to go to an area called section x (a special daily area on Belsavis) to start the quest line to assemble him.

Combat changes ... Sage/Sorc dps is still recovering from the great nerf. Commandos/Mercenaries make a far more effective caster class ... they can't throw AoEs as often, but they hit harder (single target and AoE) and they have infinitely greater survivability. When 2.0 went live, the new DR on the crit curve made the stat not viable post level 50 (for DPS classes). Sentis/Maras are still the best single target melee DPS, but Slingers/Snipers now stand so far ahead on single target that there's no competition. Shadow/Assassin specs are a lot tougher to play optimally. Guardians/Juggs have become stand out tanks and their melee DPS is now one of the most lethal. Scoundrel/Operative healing is finally working well so all three healing classes are more balanced. Vanguards/Powertechs are being rebalanced a lot and still need work ... 2.0 boosted them quite a bit and the correctional measures nerfed them enough that Bioware reps have let the community know that work is being done to fix the balance with them.

Those are all the changes I can think of. Hope that helps.

Wow, that is a lot of stuff....  Hmm, so I have preferred player status.  What are these passes you speak of?  I have seen mentions of them but I am still not very familiar.

As for the Imperial General chat, well I was on Hutta.  :-)  That probably has something to do with it.  I have been playing off and on with the other games I am playing.  It looks like Bioware at least is trying to fix things.  I will admit that the triple funk of DA 2, SWTOR and ME3 left a bad taste in my mouth about them.

However, if they can show that they want to get back to what made them great, hopefully they can accomplish that.  Maybe with Disney supporting EA making Star Wars games that they will continue to improve. 

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter
    Red eclipse is a popular Europe server.  Also please ignore the SWG haters that will be hijacking this thread very soon. They are some desperate grown men who have been bashing this game they dont play for 2 years now.  

I'm a grown man. 

I'm a SWG vet.

I play SWTOR.

I still don't think SWTOR is more than a mediocre singleplayer game with a MMO backdrop and not even close to "awesomeness" or the overused and wrongly used hip term: epic.

You possibly should of played it with a couple of friends through from start to finish , mind you a 3 player party is far harder than a 1 or 2 player party. Not sure about 4 as we played in a group of 3 on certain characters and wow some missions get really tough. You remember the end of the story ark on Alderaan ? Well try it with 3 people , you'll see. Anyway it is an MMO but yeah , if you solo then it might seem like a single player game.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

Wow, that is a lot of stuff....  Hmm, so I have preferred player status.  What are these passes you speak of?  I have seen mentions of them but I am still not very familiar.

As for the Imperial General chat, well I was on Hutta.  :-)  That probably has something to do with it.  I have been playing off and on with the other games I am playing.  It looks like Bioware at least is trying to fix things.  I will admit that the triple funk of DA 2, SWTOR and ME3 left a bad taste in my mouth about them.

However, if they can show that they want to get back to what made them great, hopefully they can accomplish that.  Maybe with Disney supporting EA making Star Wars games that they will continue to improve. 

Alright, passes. So f2p and preferred players get a weekly quota of flashpoints, space missions and warzones. If they want to do more or participate in operations, there are weekly passes available (Operations, Flashpoints, Warzones, Space MIssions) on the cartel market (item mall equivalent). A lot of players buy these passes and put them up for sale on the GTN (player vending terminal) specifically for non-subscribers. How the pass works is that once you use it, you will gain subscriber-level access to that activity for 7 days.

In case you didn't see this before, this link compares the three account types: http://www.swtor.com/free/features

Virtually every unlock that you need to buy on the Cartel Market according to that link can be bought for in-game currency via the GTN instead.

I hear what you're saying about DA2 et. al. ... I'll even go one step further and say I didn't like ME2 (Not sure about the console version but the PC version of ME1 was so much more tactical and challenging). Bioware has been dumbing down their games so as to increase market share, but this has cost them their reputation. I'll be honest when I say that I don't think EA is evil, but I do know how cut-throat the publishing world can be and how decisions are taken there. You look more at percentage of market, share of shelf (at retailers), profit per unit sale and sales within the genre. It's not a healthy environment for creativity or challenging gameplay ... both those elements make a game niche which means a smaller market segment with less share of shelf and lower sales thus requiring a higher price point to be worth it to the publisher.

With SWTOR, it's evident that EA has reduced funding to Bioware for development. It's not pulling in the kind of money EA was hoping for, is a PR nightmare (every time a magazine or blogger flames the game, EA is held accountable) and isn't getting EA the share of market it was hoping for. However, in the last 2 months especially, the Bioware team and the devs have shown a lot more interest in fixing things. They've been honest about it taking time, but the latest patch alone has changes to 3 classes that factor in community feedback. It's a start.

Interesting.  Thank you for all of the information!
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by BadOrb
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

I'm a grown man. 

I'm a SWG vet.

I play SWTOR.

You possibly should of played it with a couple of friends through from start to finish , mind you a 3 player party is far harder than a 1 or 2 player party. Not sure about 4 as we played in a group of 3 on certain characters and wow some missions get really tough. You remember the end of the story ark on Alderaan ? Well try it with 3 people , you'll see. Anyway it is an MMO but yeah , if you solo then it might seem like a single player game.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Playing solo is not what makes it seem like a single player game. Playing with other people is like playing with other people in single player games that have multiplayer online modes, eg Lego Star Wars the Complete Saga, and that is not a MMO

GTA5 is a single player game yet it seems more of a MMO than a single player game. Fully explained here

SWG was pretty close especially to the People are People section - A stormtrooper regularly visited a cantina, and if no one threatening is in it (like a rebel) he reports out loud that it is all clear and nothing going on, but if you are a rebel (on leave) in there and he detects you are a rebel (which does not always happen) then they will attack you and you will be attackable by all imperial forces until go back on leave. Also many officers would stop and search you for contraband but if you are overt and high ranked then they will apologise and not search you. If you are rebel and human and /slap a stormtropper you get knocked down and fined, if you are a rebel wookiee and /slap a stormtrooper you get knocked down and fined, and fined some more and they say the extra fine is for being a stupid walking carpet.  If you are an imperial and /slap a stormtrooper they will apologise to you for being incompetent.There were many different things like this.

Hey, I've been having a pretty good time playing. Level 22 now, have a Ship and some Companions - it's got a lot of cool features. I also have no trouble getting into any of the Flashpoints I can do with the Group-finder and there's plenty of people doing the group Quests, the population is much better than what I expected.

I think it's worth trying out the F2P if you haven't, but it's worth subbing if you want to play properly (IMO).