Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LoL is way more popular than WoW

nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/18/league-of-legends-infographic-highlights-eye-popping-numbers

70M registered users. Well, you say, do they actually play the game?

32.5M daily active users. That is almost half of the 70M register users play daily. That is almost 4x wow's sub numbers, and not every sub player play wow everyday.

1.3B hours played a month. Divided by 70M. On average each register user plays 18.6 hours a month.

And obviously LoL e-sport is big.

The only question is ... whether LoL is making more money than WoW? Since the daily active users is like 4x of the wow sub number, you only need each person (active daily ones, not register user) to spend like $3.75 a month to beat wow's sub revenue.

Anyone knows what is the average spent of a LoL user?

Comments

• obsolete5obsolete5 Member Posts: 82
    it does have decent gameplay but the amount of skill required to be among the best players is not that high for the entire genre in my opinion.  i liked DOTA  a lot on wc3 when i was like 14 but LoL itself is a bit too cartoony and repetitive for me even though the combat is decently fun and engaging but doesnt really deliver much adrenaline rush.
  • TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    thats like saying peppermint schnapps is way more popular than orange juice
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by obsolete5
    it does have decent gameplay but the amount of skill required to be among the best players is not that high for the entire genre in my opinion.  i liked DOTA  a lot on wc3 when i was like 14 but LoL itself is a bit too cartoony and repetitive for me even though the combat is decently fun and engaging but doesnt really deliver much adrenaline rush.

Really?

Then you are in luck. There is million dollars worth of prizes. Go get the millions and become rich. Unless of course you are just trying to be patronizing without the skill to back it back.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

A games a game - if you have fun doing it, what else matters?

The interesting part isn't that it's more popular.... it's F2P, it's a different genre and different playstyle. It's like saying there are 40M Farmville players every month, omg it's more popular than WoW -- it doesn't matter, they aren't directly in any sort of competition. For that matter, even MMOs are directly in competition with each other, because there's nothing to enforce exclusivity (a person could play more than one MMO if they choose)

The interesting part would be; how do they influence each other?

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/18/league-of-legends-infographic-highlights-eye-popping-numbers

32.5M daily active users. That is almost half of the 70M register users play daily. That is almost 4x wow's sub numbers, and not every sub player play wow everyday.

1.3B hours played a month. Divided by 70M. On average each register user plays 18.6 hours a month.

The only question is ... whether LoL is making more money than WoW? Since the daily active users is like 4x of the wow sub number, you only need each person (active daily ones, not register user) to spend like $3.75 a month to beat wow's sub revenue.

What does it matter?  They're not the same type of game at all.  

• obsolete5obsolete5 Member Posts: 82
    i dont like lol enough to play it the prizes and all that is really lame imo.  also i am in luck because i dont need money but i do need a good game to be released.  none of that money will be coming from my viewership.  i am 100% positive i am just as good as any kid on the top teams and when i played the game i am among the best players and dominate most matches, but im not going to dedicate my life to socializing with those fags and playing all day every day.  the entire genre of the game is very dependent on things like autohit skills and gear , as long as you dont make stupid mistakes and have good eye hand there is very little that separates the playing field compared to say sc2 or cs.
    Originally posted by Vermillion_Raventhal

May be may be not.

Different types of games compete for the same market. You don't think people who are playing FPS don't play stealth games, or MMO, do you?

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

Originally posted by Scypheroth
    [mod edit]

This kind of comments proves that you know next to nothing about eSport. A lot of what you call "cave gamers with no life" seen more of the world than you will ever in your entire life.

i am 100% positive i am just as good as any kid on the top teams and when i played the game i am among the best players and dominate most matches

I am 100% positive that you're not. I bet you couldn't even be able to get a tryout for a top team. Being among the best players with no names in a Pub game (I bet not even ranked and not even in a high tier ranking) means absolutely nothing.

Originally posted by SirFubar

i am 100% positive i am just as good as any kid on the top teams and when i played the game i am among the best players and dominate most matches

I am 100% positive that you're not. I bet you couldn't even be able to get a tryout for a top team. Being among the best players with no names in a Pub game (I bet not even ranked and not even in a high tier ranking) means absolutely nothing.

Of course he is not.

If he is, he will already be on one of those teams making millions. I doubt he is even in the higher division, not to mention no where close to being a pro.

Originally posted by Dontneed
    so eventually make kids think as if  'esports' is same as real sports.

Not only kids. The US govt agrees that e-sport is same as real sports and e-athletes can be classified as athletes for visa purposes.

And if olympics recognize e-sport .. what more do you need?

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I am 100% positive the numbers you cited are not accurate. There is absolutely no way that half of their registered users play on any given day.

Originally posted by Ender4

I am 100% positive the numbers you cited are not accurate. There is absolutely no way that half of their registered users play on any given day.

As if opinions of some random dude on the internet has credibility better than IGN articles with cited source.

May be may be not.

Different types of games compete for the same market. You don't think people who are playing FPS don't play stealth games, or MMO, do you?

I didn't know what a MOBA was until recently.   Then I realized I had played two before.  Those games are RTS based.  They're matches without persistent worlds or characters and can be hosted locally.   They have little in common with MMORPG's.  They're closer to Call of Duty then to World of Warcraft.  

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I'm one of those 70 million who registered, and haven't played in years.  I think I played a few times one night with my DarkFall clan who decided to go LoL it up a few years ago.  I found I wasn't really interested in the genre; these days, I'm finding I'm not really interested in the MMORPG genre, either. 

WTF happened?  I'M GETTING FREAKING OLD.  Anyone have the cure for that?  I've already tried more cowbell - didn't work.

May be may be not.

I didn't know what a MOBA was until recently.   Then I realized I had played two before.  Those games are RTS based.  They're matches without persistent worlds or characters and can be hosted locally.   They have little in common with MMORPG's.  They're closer to Call of Duty then to World of Warcraft.  

So? Even you play some MOBA .. so they are competing with MMOs for a similar audience.

Given LoL grows to such a huge success and WOW is declining, i would say MOBA is winning this competition with MMORPGs.

May be finally we have a wow-killer, just that it is not a MMORPG.

Originally posted by jdlamson75

WTF happened?  I'M GETTING FREAKING OLD.  Anyone have the cure for that?  I've already tried more cowbell - didn't work.

Yes. Death will cure old age.

Oh, and plus, LoL makes all players very rude, ignorant garbages who insult, whine, blame on the faceless people who they just met on random games for everything that goes wrong including their own faults. And this game gives kids a very wrong indication that such behavior is part of 'sportmanship', so eventually make kids think as if  'esports' is same as real sports. Although everyone knows that in real sports, LOL behavior is not allowed, somehow kids still think this is some kind of sports. This is all adult's fault. Basically this is system failure of the society.

The thing is, you see jerks in every single multiplayer games. Some have more than others, but there's also some nice people. LoL is a team game, you will see jerks if you play with random people all the time. Just like any other games. And the part about 'sportmanship' couldn't be more wrong. You think that people in real sports never get pissed? They never yell at each other? The never blame the referee for a bad call? Hell, they even fight for real in certain sports... I don't see how this is any different. It's just more easy for kids to behave like that behind a computer screen.

Originally posted by Ender4 I am 100% positive the numbers you cited are not accurate. There is absolutely no way that half of their registered users play on any given day.
    As if opinions of some random dude on the internet has credibility better than IGN articles with cited source.

In this case yeah. It just isn't a reasonable number. The total number might be accurate but the two numbers together simply cannot be. I guarantee you that 50% of the player base of any game as old as LoL has quit at this point. I don't know where IGN is getting the data but it is obviously a flawed chunk of data or doesn't mean what they think it does.

May be may be not.

So? Even you play some MOBA .. so they are competing with MMOs for a similar audience.

Given LoL grows to such a huge success and WOW is declining, i would say MOBA is winning this competition with MMORPGs.

Actually, my friend pulled me in and it was a mod of good RTS Warcraft 3 called Defense of the Ancients.   

May be may be not.

Sure they compete for the same audience, but in a way, all video games does. But that's not the point really. 1st you compare 2 different genre of games and 2nd you compare a F2P with a P2P game. Like someone else said, we could even say that Farmville is more popular than WoW. Would that proves anything? I don't think so. Also, it's kinda obvious that a good game with small time investment and F2P will be more popular than a good game with bigger time investment and P2P.  Also, being a eSport help the audience grow by a lot over the years. I remember when the game was like 1 or 2 years old, it was nowhere near as popular than it is right now.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

Ok sure, but I bet Blizz wow makes more cash than lol.

Originally posted by SirFubar

Oh, and plus, LoL makes all players very rude, ignorant garbages who insult, whine, blame on the faceless people who they just met on random games for everything that goes wrong including their own faults. And this game gives kids a very wrong indication that such behavior is part of 'sportmanship', so eventually make kids think as if  'esports' is same as real sports. Although everyone knows that in real sports, LOL behavior is not allowed, somehow kids still think this is some kind of sports. This is all adult's fault. Basically this is system failure of the society.

The thing is, you see jerks in every single multiplayer games. Some have more than others, but there's also some nice people. LoL is a team game, you will see jerks if you play with random people all the time. Just like any other games. And the part about 'sportmanship' couldn't be more wrong. You think that people in real sports never get pissed? They never yell at each other? The never blame the referee for a bad call? Hell, they even fight for real in certain sports... I don't see how this is any different. It's just more easy for kids to behave like that behind a computer screen.

"It's just more easy for kids to behave like that behind a computer screen." <--- you said what's important.

And as educated grown-up, you are not supposed to take advantage of such defect of system just to make money, right?

And LoL actually take advantage of such systemical failure of internet(which is still new to society) not just neglect it, buffing kids' agreesive nature so they compete more on those empty competition.

In real sports there are many tools developed to keep/improve manner of players. LoL doesn't. 

[mod edit]

Sure you're not supposed to, but more people that you think would. People made money upon such defect of any kind of system wayyyyy before eSport even existed. That's human nature. Never changed in a thousands years. So just because its eSport its bad?

Have you actually ever watched a live LoL event? I guess not since you have a misconception of the differences between a pro player and your average 12 years old jo who plays online after school.

The tools you're talking about, aren't those like, give a fine for the player who misbehave? Or make him not play for a certain amount of matches? The kind of thing you won't learn anything from it since you have so much money you don't care about the fine or you don't care about not playing for a match or 2, its just a small vacation? I don't think it enforce anything really. Athletes continue to misbehave.

[mod edit]

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    so you are telling us that more people play a F2P game than a P2P game.....that is shocking .. great contribution .. thx..
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

PLEASE, please....let the masses enjoy their "MOBA" so they can leave us the hell alone and the old school thinking of MMORPG's can make a comeback, the kind that was preferred by cellar dwellers and nerds alike, the kind that takes "thinking".

Let them alooooooone, let them play their MOOOOOBA....

League is a fun game, I personally don't care for the pacing though. The games always feel like they take 15-20 minutes too long (and some games are 30 minutes too long when it is a stalemate). I could fix that by playing the smaller games but none of those seem to have the same sort of balanced strategic play.