Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Guild Wars 2: Edge of the Mists Revealed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Beginning October 18th, World vs. World (WvW) will move into its “Season” structure stretching to December 5th for the first such competitive time period. Servers will battle against each other over those several weeks to determine who the ultimate “best” WvW server really is.  But that’s not the only big change coming to WvW in the next few weeks... a brand new Overflow Map specifically for WvW is also coming to the game, and ArenaNet will be using this map to test a ton of ideas for the three-faction warfare. It won’t be anything like the existing WvW maps, either.  Read on for more details about the forthcoming Guild Wars 2: Edge of the Mists Overflow WvW Map.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Bill.I read your post and it was almost a surreal experience.Arenanet actually listening...actually aware....actually doing something about the bollixed current WvW.

One can only hope that some few have seen the  shortfalls of their current system and know how to improve it.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    This is truly exciting. The implications for WvW's future are enormous.
  • WikileaksEUWikileaksEU Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Woah! sounds great, i really like it. Looking forward to it.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I had to pinch myself!  I have been asking for something like this since last year.  How much more awesome can WvW get!!
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

Its not a new map for WvW....it has no bearing on any of the matches.

Its a freak'n "Test Server".

• StarS0ftStarS0ft Member UncommonPosts: 124
    new map! nice!
  • NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    well at least its an admittance that WvWvW is pointless & broken. The fun wears thins due to the pointlessness. At least their listening, that's always a great step in the right direction.
  • Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    those that play GW2 will think this is great ....those that play the forums will have more to cry about
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

Of course the Debbie Downers will respond in here.  This is MMORPG after all.  GW2 is failing, no one is playing, WvW doesnt work, etc....

Great job Anet!  Keep up the good work. 

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    ...so EXCITED

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Sounds really good to me, I like how they are still on a consistent basis, putting hard work into GW2.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

It is not a new game unto itself. It has no affect on the league match-ups. Its an overflow where you get to test for Anet's expansion into the Asian market.

[mod edit]

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

It's good to see GW2 still endeavoring to refine and improve their game. If it pleases those still playing, more power to them. 

GG!

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I would really like them to revisit not this but other things that need refining. GW2 is an amazing game, but it lacks the longevity of its predecessor. They got so many things right but it still lacks...somehow.
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    GW2 isn't for everyone just like how every other game isn't for everyone.

• EriccomptonEriccompton Member UncommonPosts: 51

GW2 may not be the perfect game, but realistically, there are no perfect games.

IMO Anet has done a very good job of looking at the shortcomings of other games in the genre and fixing or improving them, and they seem to be one of the very few that actually care about continuing to improve their game, most games get your money and they're done.

GW2 has managed to keep my attention a heck of lot longer than other games.

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273
    exciting!
  • dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185

I didn't see this part in your article Bill:

"Testing of the map will go through the beginning of 2014, at a minimum."

I have been waiting for something like this, however it is not a reality until it has been released.  ANet has promised these things to WvW how many times in the past?  How many missed deadlines?  So yes we get a overflow test server a year and a half after launch at best.  So at this rate, real new maps for WvW play areas (effecting the scores) will be what 3-5 years?

I will say its a step in the right direction, good for you, even if its the incredibly slow sloth step.  But hey we need more carnival events and backpacks.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I honestly. (after the shock of the announcement) don't know if Arenanet has the knowledge ,or will, to make substantive changes.Clearly they either did not recognize a need to admit there was a need for change for over a year.A year in which many left the game.

I  remain skeptical.Actions speak louder than words.So far there is an acknowledgement of some queue problems .....which have existed for over a year.

I have seen no sign of a change in their thinking about what faction vs faction conflict should be.Even though the greatest realm vs realm game of all time is still around after 12 years to show them the way. DAOC.

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283
    Much of this game is just so unplayable because if you live in the wrong part of the world (not USA) you will rarely be online at the same time as other players, so you will rarely be able to play to the full extent of what the game offers! For example, I have tried fighting the legendary boss in the latest event, but there is never enough players to actually defeat it. Also to make thing worse the things around it respawn too dam fast to be able to do much else anyway! Having a dozen dead players laying on the ground is not what playing a game is supposed to be, FUN!!! wvw is no better, you spend 5 minutes knocking down a gate, then 100 enemy players come out of nowhere and wipe you out, where is the fun in that!
  • Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    I miss buff bots ...perm invisibility ...one shot kills ....and the weekly nerf bat but I'll give Gw2 credit for a step in the right direction
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    There is nothing in there that excites me in the least. WvW, is still pointless.
  • crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    GW2 continues to prove that it's the best game currently on the market, and ANET, probably the best dev team.
  • OldMMOGamerOldMMOGamer Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Originally posted by Bad.dog
    those that play GW2 will think this is great ....those that play the forums will have more to cry about

Well said...

Stop the presses.....GW2 launches test server.