Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard wins lawsuit vs bot service, $7 million judgement

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/10/18/blizzard-wins-the-case-to-shut-down-world-of-warcraft-bots/

After a two-year legal battle, Blizzard has emerged victorious in its case against Ceiling Fan Software, responsible for two of the most popular WoW botting applications. The company is facing a $7 million judgment and has been ordered to fully cease operations.

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Nice! Hopefully that sends a red flag out to other botting developers.

• inzane3inzane3 Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Good!

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

No death sentence :(

Anyways.  I hope this happens more often.

• MuktukMuktuk Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Originally posted by Gravarg

Haha, I agree.  Great news though!

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    this will hurt the lame players who bot ( which is a good thing ) but it will still do nothing to the account hackers which is where the gold selling is really coming from.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Never cared much about Blizzard but his earns them good marks in my books,problem is not many developers can afford these types of lawsuits.

This would be tricky,would need some definite proof that the bot was made for Wow and not just some random bot that the company could not be held liable for.

Only thing left to ask is WHY so long,this has been more than obvious for over 5 years,so why care now or 2 years ago?The second question is why risk losing money as botters still have to pay for accounts,is there some hidden agenda or do they legitimately care about the integrity of the game.I would have to say this question deems very important because if they really cared why wait so long and allow the game and economy to be totally ruined for several years before caring,why now just seems like it needs to be asked.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

No interest in Blizzard or WoW.  My reaction!    YES!!!!!    Go Blizzard.   Kill those evil botters!  

I wonder if there is some way you could actually go after the players who use bots.   Perhaps not, but I could fantasize, right?

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    this will hurt the lame players who bot ( which is a good thing ) but it will still do nothing to the account hackers which is where the gold selling is really coming from.

While it still happens, the amount of hacking in WoW is down drastically from where it was.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by syriinx

While it still happens, the amount of hacking in WoW is down drastically from where it was.

I wouldn't be so sure. When you have millions of accounts inactive with people that are never going to go back to them, you really have no idea how many of them are getting hacked.

The story of I reactivated my account and found everything gone wasn't all that uncommon. You could be right though. The demand for gold in wow may be dropping. The subs would indicate the interest in it is starting to go down.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Blizzard is a greedy company going after companies like Glider it is a reason I no longer play wow besides the many in-game reasons.

[mod edit]

I find it stupid that blizzard targets program creators of bot programs when programs like Isboxer, G15 Software, or any macro software can easily bot the game I could write my own bot with any basic macro program on the internet to bot wow although I am totally legit and don't use bots.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    And I say lets get rid of them all!  
  • NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

where is your proof? Thought so.

• Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124

Good, hate botters 

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Hopefully this is one of those cases that will set a precedence for future cases. Not many would be able to drop $7 million on a court case for something that the community loathes, but has become used to. 

Maybe this means that some other games can get rid of their botters, but cheaper. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by Renoaku

Blizzard is a greedy company going after companies like Glider it is a reason I no longer play wow besides the many in-game reasons.

It's tough to respect the rest of what you're saying when this is what you open with. Do you really think that bot developer has 7 million in cash lying around to cover this lawsuit? Do you think they have, or will ever have, the means to make that kind of money to pay Blizzard anything? How much money do you think Blizzard spent on prosecuting this case? How much money do you think they spent in tracking down all the botters, banning them, and dealing with all the people who claimed they were unjustly banned?'

If Blizzard were simply an evil greedy company wouldn't it have been far easier and cheaper to ignore the bots or simply continue to ban them? Don't you think there is a reason why game developers almost never try to prosecute people who are hacking/cheating/botting in or outright pirating their games? Is it possible that it’s far too expensive to prosecute people given that the likelihood of ever seeing a single dime back is infinitesimally small?

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

To the people who said why now? Blizzard has been fighting these guys for years and years and years now, they just finally got a judgement. This is why they added the RMAH to D3 in the first place, to try to at least get some cash out of the gold sales that were going to happen no matter what. Good for them. Having said that I don't think I'll buy another Blizzard title~. Tired of how dumbed down they have to make every game these days.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Glad to see they prevailed in this case, perhaps may start a trend to bring this sort of behavior more under control.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Nevulus

where is your proof? Thought so.

And where is the first guy's proof?

There is one very obvious reason why account hacking is nowhere near where it once was: authenticator use.

Originally posted by Renoaku

[mod edit]

I find it stupid that blizzard targets program creators of bot programs when programs like Isboxer, G15 Software, or any macro software can easily bot the game I could write my own bot with any basic macro program on the internet to bot wow although I am totally legit and don't use bots.

I can make a bomb out of household ingredients, should we therefore allow bomb manufacturers?

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Originally posted by Gravarg

Anyways.  I hope this happens more often.

No death sentence.  'ordered to fully cease operations'.   Sounds like a death sentence to me.

Blizzard := Blizzard + $7 million;

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Nice! Hopefully that sends a red flag out to other botting developers.

Keep wishing, but unfortunately that will never happen.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by Foomerang Nice! Hopefully that sends a red flag out to other botting developers.
    Keep wishing, but unfortunately that will never happen.

never happen? it just did! :P
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Great victory for gaming.
  • NewfrNewfr Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Well, that was American base huge corporation vs American based company. I wonder why it took so long. But i really don't see a point in whooping and cheering because, you know, doing the same thing to some China based company (for example, as most gold selling sites lead to that country) is a whole another story. They were in WoW from day one and they are still there and i don't see something going to change in near future.
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    I used Glidder back when TBC was out to level my professions........... there I said it, never felt good about it always felt like I was cheating the system and was always nervous when I turned my monitor back on in the morning to see If I was logged in, then checking the chat log to see if anyone had tried to talk to me, living on the edge.