Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Hardware Review] General: MMO Mouse-Off

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Gaming peripherals, the mouse in particular, are a crucial part of any MMOer's arsenal of success. In a new article today, we conduct a "mouse-off". See which one is the ultimate must-have for the discerning MMO player. Agree or not, head to the comments to chat.

The three mice I'm discussing today are the Logitech G600 MMO Gaming Mouse, the Steelseries World of Warcraft MMO Legendary Edition, and the Razer Naga 2014. All three mice easily make the cut as far as slick, sophisticated pieces of technology go. They all have adjustable sensitivity, customizable color options, programmable buttons with multiple profiles, varying degrees of game specific integration and user-generated macros. They are relatively the same price; expensive for a computer input device but with features that make them worth it to gamers who spend hours a day using them. But what makes one distinct from the others? 

Read more of Pete Schwab's MMO Mouse-Off.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

I need to play with a vertical mouse due to repetitive motion injury to my wrist.  This way my hand is not pronated as in a regular mouse grip but forms a more natural "shaking hand grip" when I grab the mouse.  I might sacrifice some responsiveness and will never be an amazing PvP player due to this but it does save pain in my wrist.  

Would be nice to see reviews of alternate grip mice. 

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I use the Wow legendary mouse myself, I find the thumb and pinky buttons to be perfect its almost as though it was customized to my hand ..... uh oh ? Did I just come up with a money maker or what?
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Anything wireless out there that's decent? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I used a Logitech MX510 for years, and the thing probably still works, but I switch to a Naga a couple of years back.  It's a good mouse, and the feel of it is really secure.  It's nice to be able to change the color of the mouse as well.  It matches my backlit keyboard :D
  • goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Prefer the corsair vengeance myself as I like to use a claw grip
  • nezixnezix Member Posts: 9
    I've had a Razer Naga but I now use the G600. I really prefer the G600 primarily for the ring finger button but also the angles of the thumb buttons felt better to me.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    MX 518, BEST GAMING MOUSE EU!
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388

I also have both a Razer Naga and a G600. Of the two I prefer the G600.

The Naga fit's my hand a little better, but the G600's thumb buttons are much better.

Edit:

Looking at Razer's site it looks like they've updated the design of the Naga since I bought mine. If you look at the Naga Epic (the wireless version) on their site you can see the old style, they're almost completely flat and in 4 identical rows. It made it really hard to tell which row you're on by touch.

I'll have to see if I can find the new design on display somewhere and see if it's any better.

Edit2:

My edit's seem to be having issues

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    I miss my Logitech, I will never buy another Razer mouse again, cheap quality.
  • Aimee46Aimee46 Member Posts: 11

I  tested whole lots of gaming mice over the years. In this moment I use the Logitech g500s and the Naga. The Naga has a problem with running on certain mousepads. It stimply does not like all surfaces. But when it comes to WvW in GW2 for instance, I still prefer the Naga because of all its buttons. For soloing or other work on the computer I use the g500s.

Perhaps in near future I will add a g600 to it. I tested it once and like the feel more than the Naga.

Playing: GW2 & Tera.
    Played: Lotro, Lineage, Lineage2, GW1, WoW, CoHV, Tabula Rasa, AoC, Aion, Rift, Allods and several other f2p but of minor importance

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179
    I used the previous iteration of the Razer Naga, and it failed after about six months. I replaced it the the Logitech G600, which I found more preferable personally. It also pairs beautifully with the Logitech G13 Gameboard (and I can also use the flexible Logitech software for both pieces). Both wrists are eternally grateful, and literally the only time I use the keyboard any longer (for all games, not just MMO's) is to type in chat when not on TeamSpeak.  

• gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281

I think the G600 is a fair bit more comfortable than the Naga if you have bigger hands. The "hand couch" feels about right, and the buttons on the G600 are more comfortable to press than the Naga (crisp touch, gentle surface).

The WoW mouse has a weird size imo. I guess you really need a certain type of hand and grip to feel comfortable holding it.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by gunmanvlad

I think the G600 is a fair bit more comfortable than the Naga if you have bigger hands. The "hand couch" feels about right, and the buttons on the G600 are more comfortable to press than the Naga (crisp touch, gentle surface).

The WoW mouse has a weird size imo. I guess you really need a certain type of hand and grip to feel comfortable holding it.

Just wanted to hear this if this Logitech immitation of that HORROR Naga solution of writst and thumb killer is any better as it looks. Maybe will give it a try at some time.

For the rest I have tried many, really many, mouses and other periferals in my life (spending a lot of money) and nothing comes even remotely close to G700. Best MMO mice of all times.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-ouroboros/

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

I have had 2 razer mice, and both fell apart within a couple weeks.  I currently use a RAT 7 and I really like it.  I have big hands so a big mouse is a must.

I used quite a few Logitechs, and found them to be reliable and comfortable.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

I have been using a Razer Naga mouse since 2009/2010.

Despite my dogs attacking it, me dropping it, and using it for websurfing and games, it still operates flawless.

I would not use anything else.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

I use a Logitech G700 with my laptop.  It is nice but not a "gaming" mouse per say.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Hatefull

I have had 2 razer mice, and both fell apart within a couple weeks.  I currently use a RAT 7 and I really like it.  I have big hands so a big mouse is a must.

I wonder if that's because some players have tight grips or are "hard" on the mouse.

I have the original Razer naga and it still works flawlessly.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • FoxyShoxzyFoxyShoxzy Member UncommonPosts: 120

My wife and I love our Nagas and won't use anything else. She had an original "blue" one, used it for about 3 years before giving it to me, and I got another year out of it before the double click issue. Right now we are both rocking the previous 2013 green versions, but I wouldn't mind trying the new one.

I know the Synapse software isn't for everyone, but personally I love it.

I did try a G600 a few months ago when my first "hand me down" Naga died, and that third button was a deal breaker for me. My hand just couldn't get used to it.

• MsFitMsFit Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I prefer to use a 4 button roller ball from Logitech. Once I tried it, I never used a mouse again. My only problem is that it doesn't have a center scroll wheel, and unfortunately, most every game assumes you have one and assigns functions to it. Some games won't even let you reassign those functions to other buttons.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

My experience with Razor mice is not good, they seem very cheaply made.  I would not recommend them.  The Logictech one is a decent mouse, but I went with Corsair.  Their mice are solidly made, much better than all these in the review.

As to wireless, expect to change batteries often, I got tired of that, so would not recommend wireless for gaming.

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Didn't even think to look here (in the news section) for a Naga 2014 review when I was looking around the other day.   Article was helpful.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Hatefull

I wonder if that's because some players have tight grips or are "hard" on the mouse.

I have the original Razer naga and it still works flawlessly.

That could be the case, I work out quite a bit and I tend to death grip my mouse, so I may be more to blame than the mouse.  Having said that, Razer is the only mouse that has come apart in my hands.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Gigabyte makes excellent mice for gaming, at least this has been my experience. They are usually really well priced as well and tend to be the target of newegg MIR's quite often. I use a n52te sometimes but haven't for a while now as none of the games I play would benefit much from it.
  • JimWraithJimWraith Member UncommonPosts: 127

I've used my Razer Death Adder for a few years now.  This is the only Razer product I have purchased that has really lasted.  I'll be upset when it breaks.

My Razer Carcharias (headset) and Anansi (keyboard) both died and were replaced at the 18 month mark.  The Anansi had issues with sticky keys that just became unbearable.  And the Carcharias wire failed eventually like most wired heaedsets do, the wire breaking loose at the headset end.

I replaced the Anansi with a SteelSeries Apex Raw and I feel it's a much better keyboard even though I have only been using it a few months.

I replaced my Carcharias with a Plaintronics Gamecom 780 and like them about equally.  I've had issues with Planetronics in the past, however I could not get a warranty replacement for the Carcharias because the design has been replaced by more expensive products by Razer.  That disappointed me greatly, so on a lark I got the Gamecom 780 at the recommendation of a gal at BestBuy.  I have yet to be disappointed by them and they are less expensive.

At this point I think if my Death Adder dies and the warranty is over, I'll go SteelSeries for a new mouse.  As their products seem to be better without the hype and less markup.