Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Console RPG vs MMORPG, does one affect the other?

RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I have realized that there has been a severe lack of console rpg games. I am starting to wonder if whether that is in direct relationship to MMORPG's being offered. For example right around the time when F2P MMORPGs start to sprout up everywhere I noticed there was a very unhealthy decrease in console RPG's. Does anyone else think this is somewhat related? Perpaps its RPG's in general and the platform itself doesn't seem to make a difference?

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Console RPGs are getting integrated into open world games which is the new hotness. If anything, I think the heavy narrative we see in modern mmos is a direct lift from console rpgs. I also see mmo elements being brought into a lot of console games. Is this a result of the genre or the technology? Its hard to say when a defining feature the mmo is hardware. The software can be anything. Unless you look at traditional mmos, which nobody is really doing anymore, console or pc otherwise.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    I think that is generally whats going on too. I wonder if RPG's in general will be consumed completely by the MMO market at some point. Perhaps there will be a genre shift soon where some genre's will disappear entirely.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Wakygreek
    I think that is generally whats going on too. I wonder if RPG's in general will be consumed completely by the MMO market at some point. Perhaps there will be a genre shift soon where some genre's will disappear entirely.
    Its possible. Sometimes I think genres get broken down into their unique elements and are just integrated into other genres. Maybe it will all be one big mega genre. But we have so many hybrids now: open world, action games, with character progression and non combat activities that include strategy and puzzle solving, all with online multiplayer. Thats becoming a common "genre" now. Taking elements from everything.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

I think it is the other way around.

More RPGs (and other Sp games) will have online and MMO elements, and MMOs are less needed.