Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Blizzard All-Stars Rebranded Heroes of the Storm

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Blizzard All-Stars, a game that hasn't been spoken of in quite awhile, has been rebranded as Heroes of the Storm. You may remember that a month or so ago, folks speculated that Heroes of the Storm was the title of a WoW expansion. WRONG! Check out the video below and let us know what you think.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• EnrifEnrif Member UncommonPosts: 152

Makes sense.

http://sonsofthestorm.com/

This is the site of some of the major art directors of the Blizzard games, and they feature all games. So we maybe don't see the Allstars Characters(Arthas, Kerrigan,Diablo) but unique Characters that fit to each game

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    [mod edit] Loved this trailer and even though I don't play moba's now, I will probably end up playing this one because I'm sure it's going to have all the bells and whistles and it will just have that extra something that only blizzard knows the secret recipe for.
  • XycoreXycore Member Posts: 5

Wow i can't wait for this game i really like this whole Moba genre. I hope this game will find it's playerbase and be as popular as League or DOTA is . :)

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by Enrif

This is the site of some of the major art directors of the Blizzard games, and they feature all games. So we maybe don't see the Allstars Characters(Arthas, Kerrigan,Diablo) but unique Characters that fit to each game

I'll be really, REALLY bummed if Arthas, Kerrigan, Nova, Sylvanas, Leah, and all my other favorite Blizzard characters don't show up. I suppose that's why they altered the name from "All Stars" to a more generic, let's-add-other-characters. But...but...but...no Kerrigan? No Zeratul? No Cain? No Sylvanas? :(

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I'm starting to think MOBAs are cash cows or something. I mean, I'm seeing every MMO developer team make them O.o

Smile

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    I'm starting to think MOBAs are cash cows or something. I mean, I'm seeing every MMO developer team make them O.o

Blizzards made games before WoW :P.  Hell I can't think of any other major MMORPG developer that switched to MOBAs.  There is dawngate from WSG with EA as a publisher but well EA publishes every type of game.  Valve doesn't have an mmo.  S2 might fit your bill but they were in it before almost everyone with HoN.  Riot was a startup.  So I don't see your point all :P.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by NetSage

Blizzards made games before WoW :P.  Hell I can't think of any other major MMORPG developer that switched to MOBAs.  There is dawngate from WSG with EA as a publisher but well EA publishes every type of game.  Valve doesn't have an mmo.  S2 might fit your bill but they were in it before almost everyone with HoN.  Riot was a startup.  So I don't see your point all :P.

Not to mention that MOBA's were invented within a Blizzard game.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Blizzards made games before WoW :P.  Hell I can't think of any other major MMORPG developer that switched to MOBAs. 

SOE tried doing the opposite of Blizzard in 2003

taking their mmo franchise to RTS but they didn't fare well

http://www.ign.com/articles/2003/12/05/lords-of-everquest-review

You haven't been paying attention then. There are a crap ton of MOBAs being made and coming out.

Smile

You haven't been paying attention then. There are a crap ton of MOBAs being made and coming out.

He didnt say there wern't MOBAs being made, he said that its not every MMO developer making them. Clearly one of you 2 are not paying attention ;)

I then pointed out afterwards that MOBAs were invented within a Blizzard game...therefor if any company has the right ,or should get a free pass to make thier own, its Blizzard.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    I hate MOBA's but you know what it's Blizzard so I guess I have to play it it now.
    Originally posted by doodphace

He didnt say there wern't MOBAs being made, he said that its not every MMO developer making them. Clearly one of you 2 are not paying attention ;)

I then pointed out afterwards that MOBAs were invented within a Blizzard game...therefor if any company has the right ,or should get a free pass to make thier own, its Blizzard.

I'm confused. Who do you think makes MOBAs? MMO developers....

Smile

• karnage12karnage12 Member UncommonPosts: 7

This. MOBAs are a sub-genre of MMOs, as far as I'm concerned... they just don't have the uber persistent world that most MMOs have and lack certain other RPG elements.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by karnage12

This. MOBAs are a sub-genre of MMOs, as far as I'm concerned... they just don't have the uber persistent world that most MMOs have and lack certain other RPG elements.

In a sense, yes.  And I think it was the inevitable consequence of the simplification and accessibility trend we've seen over the last decade.  MMOs who wanted to simplify the player experience had nowhere else to go but to remove the remaining MMO elements entirely: character customization, the common zones, DIKU interface and so on.  What we see is the MMO achievement and the MMO combat, without any of the deep, contextual MMO stuff that slows the achievement and combat down.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• karnage12karnage12 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by Beatnik59

In a sense, yes.  And I think it was the inevitable consequence of the simplification and accessibility trend we've seen over the last decade.  MMOs who wanted to simplify the player experience had nowhere else to go but to remove the remaining MMO elements entirely: character customization, the common zones, DIKU interface and so on.  What we see is the MMO achievement and the MMO combat, without any of the deep, contextual MMO stuff that slows the achievement and combat down.

I think it has less to do with the developers and more to do with the playerbase. Players aren't interested in sinking major time into games today like they were 10-15 years ago. So, developers had to remove the lull. Hence your definition of MOBA.

• kirak2009kirak2009 Member UncommonPosts: 543

just starting to get into the MOBA scene  slowly  toying with lol,  dota2 and now solstice,  starting to like what i see.

Looking forward to heroes of the storm  ( I might be half decent by then )

"All expectation leads to suffering" Buhhda

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

I think it has less to do with the developers and more to do with the playerbase. Players aren't interested in sinking major time into games today like they were 10-15 years ago. So, developers had to remove the lull. Hence your definition of MOBA.

The LoL junkies I've seen dump just as many hours--if not more hours--into LoL as any WoW hardcore.  I once had a kid in my class who was such a LoL junkie, he couldn't wait until the lecture was over, so he could log onto LoL on the damn PowerPoint computer after the professor left the room!  LOL!

MOBAs are like the crack cocaine of the gaming world: a sudden, intense high.  And, like crack, (and unlike WoW) the high is relatively cheap and available, once the high wears off.  Just jump straight into the action, without much prep or context.  Now, is this a function of the preferences of gamers to not wanting to "sink major time" into games?  Everything I've seen says no.

It's an effort to distill everything these players crave (achievement, combat and loot acquisition) into its purest form, so that they can spend their 8 hour binge sessions achieving, fighting and looting non-stop.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

Valve and Riot games are not MMO developers....

Trion is, and yet has not made an MOBA

What am I not understanding here?

Do you really mean the people who work for these non MMO development companies, have worked on MMOs in the past?

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

The 2 major MOBAs are LoL and DOTA. League was made by Riot which isn't an MMO developer. And DOTA is now made by valve but was a mod for warcraft which is an RTS made by Blizzard before they were an MMO developer. 

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

The LoL junkies I've seen dump just as many hours--if not more hours--into LoL as any WoW hardcore.  I once had a kid in my class who was such a LoL junkie, he couldn't wait until the lecture was over, so he could log onto LoL on the damn PowerPoint computer after the professor left the room!  LOL!

MOBAs are like the crack cocaine of the gaming world: a sudden, intense high.  And, like crack, (and unlike WoW) the high is relatively cheap and available, once the high wears off.  Just jump straight into the action, without much prep or context.  Now, is this a function of the preferences of gamers to not wanting to "sink major time" into games?  Everything I've seen says no.

It's an effort to distill everything these players crave (achievement, combat and loot acquisition) into its purest form, so that they can spend their 8 hour binge sessions achieving, fighting and looting non-stop.

I agree. I think another element is the illusion of being a skillful "esport." It probably makes you feel like a badass when you "outplay" the other team even though the game is largely based on theory and not skill. It's like having your picture taken in one of those beefcake cardboard cutouts.

• Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409

Do you really mean the people who work for these non MMO development companies, have worked on MMOs in the past?

Actually Trion has turned END of Nations in to a MOBA. So yes, they have

Originally posted by Arrogant_Wormy

Actually Trion has turned END of Nations in to a MOBA. So yes, they have

(Fair enough, I quickly looked at their released games)

That still nowhere near qualifies the statement "MOBAs are all made by MMO developers/All MMO Developers are making MOBAs"

Originally posted by Holophonist

The 2 major MOBAs are LoL and DOTA. League was made by Riot which isn't an MMO developer. And DOTA is now made by valve but was a mod for warcraft which is an RTS made by Blizzard before they were an MMO developer. 

I'm going to disagree on Riot not being an MMO developer... You'll see :)

Smile

Originally posted by Holophonist

I'm going to disagree on Riot not being an MMO developer... You'll see :)

...as of right now, they are not an MMO developer....your "you'll see :) " also doesn't lend any weight to the "All MMO developers are making MOBAs/All MOBAs are made by MMO developers" statement.

If anything you are contradicting your initial post that started all this, where MOBAs are a cash cow that all MMO developers are trying to cash in on, if its now the other way around where MOBA developers are making MMOs......im realllllly not sure why you keep replying.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
    Pretty sure they renamed this to get that sexy acronym HOTS.