Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do people care about MMOs any more?

tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I've been waiting for a good one since 2005 and it hasn't happened, just been a bunch of WoW clones or weird Asian grindfests. We have the PS4, Xbox One and Steam bringing gaming into the next generation of gaming and I just look at MMOs and think "why are they still stuck in 2004" and "why do they look like they're stuck in 2004"? lol. They just haven't evolved, especially from the amazing ideas SWG or PS or EVE Online gave us in those early days, when the tech couldn't really probably handle it, yet they innovated far more than any MMO today. 

I was expecting massive seamless worlds, I was expecting by the time SWTOR came out, we'd be flying from the ground into space with no load times. I was expecting to have like 100k people on a single server like EVE but for an Avatar based game where we could all be in a huge world creating content. 

Instead we got FF14 released this year, an MMO that managed to go backwards from 1.0 some how and now you have load times even in zones, which I'm guessing was made for the PS3 but the PC version has to follow. Then you get to the gameplay of FF14 and it felt like I was back in 2004, doing kill 10 rats quests all over again... is this what the genre has come to? People are excited over this crap?

I just don't care any more tbh and the MMO genre seems to mean online game these days as everyone, even this site calls anything from Diablo to Dota 2 an MMO for some weird reason. 

What ever happened to Raph Koster? I wanna play an MMO from him again. 

But looking at the future of gaming and with these new consoles coming out, I'm just gonna move on, Dayz felt to me more of an MMO than anything that has come out in years, felt more hardcore too, just a shame SA is taking so long.

Comments

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by tixylix

What ever happened to Raph Koster?

You just missed him.

• CorthagathCorthagath Member Posts: 291

to answer your headline; no, i dont care about mmos anymore really. ive been year or two offline from all mmos now and i hardly ever even see any game that would interest me. sadly most of the mmos that come out cater to the different audience that what i am looking for so i've complitely stopped playing. i dont even see any interesting game up in the horizon, my last hope lied in TES but after seeing some videos of it, i can already tell that im not gonna be playing that either.

i think i might just close this account too, there nothing here to come here to. best of luck to you all who are still waiting for a new "home" in a mmo

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312

I don't care so much about next gen. Infact I think there is only so much they can do with a PC, and I dont care if it is 2013

BUT :

I do care that mmos are crap for the fact that there not made for community and Open world !

Bad ideas ?

1) f2p = GARBAGE

2) dynamic events are killing the social interactions

3) Dungeon finders are killing the social interactions

4) Dynamic Realms and servers are killing the social interactions

Some may call this next gen...I call it crap and bad ideas, not next gen.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

In order to care about something, it needs to evoke emotion. I care about my Wushu toon. Over the past year there has been "omg YES!" joy and sick to my stomach pain.

If a game is all joy all the time it gets boring quick. Joy becomes mundane, then what? If the game is all pain all the time, why play unless you are a masochist. Good games run a complete range of emotion. Before you know it, you're hooked.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321

I've been waiting for a good one since 2005 and it hasn't happened, just been a bunch of WoW clones or weird Asian grindfests. We have the PS4, Xbox One and Steam bringing gaming into the next generation of gaming and I just look at MMOs and think "why are they still stuck in 2004" and "why do they look like they're stuck in 2004"? lol. They just haven't evolved, especially from the amazing ideas SWG or PS or EVE Online gave us in those early days, when the tech couldn't really probably handle it, yet they innovated far more than any MMO today. 

I was expecting massive seamless worlds, I was expecting by the time SWTOR came out, we'd be flying from the ground into space with no load times. I was expecting to have like 100k people on a single server like EVE but for an Avatar based game where we could all be in a huge world creating content. 

Instead we got FF14 released this year, an MMO that managed to go backwards from 1.0 some how and now you have load times even in zones, which I'm guessing was made for the PS3 but the PC version has to follow. Then you get to the gameplay of FF14 and it felt like I was back in 2004, doing kill 10 rats quests all over again... is this what the genre has come to? People are excited over this crap?

I just don't care any more tbh and the MMO genre seems to mean online game these days as everyone, even this site calls anything from Diablo to Dota 2 an MMO for some weird reason. 

But looking at the future of gaming and with these new consoles coming out, I'm just gonna move on, Dayz felt to me more of an MMO than anything that has come out in years, felt more hardcore too, just a shame SA is taking so long.

For FFXIV there is no loading while in zones. It has WoW like quest hubs at the beginning of the game and quest markers but that's for familiarity (saves production money & time too) since so many "didn't know where to go in FFXI". Playing it and reading about are two different things.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

If you don't, why does it matter if others do?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I'm taking a break from MMOs, again. None of the current ones piques my interest and the upcoming titles that do are still months of even years away.

In general, an average themepark MMO is no longer interesting to me, because they play like bad single player games.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I definitely care about MMORPG's, (MMO's not so much) but can't say I'm very interested in what is currently available.

In fact, I've been playing over 5 months now on a DAOC shard that is reset to 2003 and having a terrific time.

I do have my eye out on some of the up coming titles as I see some indications of new innovation and ideas that might draw me back once again to a new game.

And if not, heck, I can always return to EVE for another go.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

I dont expect much from mmorpg's anymore ,I rather play games like diablo nowdays.

The good old days when grouping and raiding in mmo's was fun are over now. I know nothing more boring than raiding nowdays(not speculating in the reason why).

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I care about them, they just haven't made any good ones recently.

I'm hoping Star Citizen or EQ Next changes that. The rest of the games coming out soon look to just be more WoW clones.

It saddens me that the genre has just gotten more simplistic and compartmentalized over time. Pen and Paper RPGs were more complex than ones with a computer to do all the work and that is just silly.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Go look up EQ Next, Pathfinder Online, and Black Desert.
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    And Elder Scrolls Online.

Originally posted by monochrome19

Sadly ESO looks like another WoW clone.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Ender4

And how is that? I've played it and it didn't feel like a WoW clone. LOTRO feels more like a WoW clone and there are still differences there.

From my time in the game it felt like they took skyrim and guild wars 2 and sort of stuck them together. I don't see wow in that equation. Add the DAoC bent and it most certainly doesn't seem like a WoW clone.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

GW2 and LOTRO are both WoW clones as well. GW2 does hide it a little bit but it still a go from quest hot spot to quest hot spot to explore the world and then hop into little boxes for PvP and dungeons.

I haven't followed ESO as closely but the little I have seen has pointed me towards that same type of experience.

GW2 and LOTRO are both WoW clones as well. GW2 does hide it a little bit but it still a go from quest hot spot to quest hot spot to explore the world and then hop into little boxes for PvP and dungeons.

I haven't followed ESO as closely but the little I have seen has pointed me towards that same type of experience.

Nah, I'm gong to disagree on the GW2 is a WoW clone argument. Having an area with quests in a quest based game makes sense.

Heck, by saying that quest hot spots make a game a wow clone you are inadvertently saying elder scrolls games are wow clones. The cities in Elder Scrolls games are the quest hot spots as you will find more quests  in the cities than "out in the world".

Of course in a game like wow (or gw2) you have areas that cater to a certain level. But Elder Scrolls games such as Oblivion and Skyrim have their own levelled quest systems that make the quests you do comparable to your level (or in the case of skyrim sets the level of the area once you enter it).

I think being a WoW clone needs to have more than just areas where you find a lot of quests.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

It is about the game play experience. I pretty much do the same exact things in the same way in GW2 that I did in WoW.

UO, AC and EQ all played nothing alike. Those are three games that came out at around the same time that couldn't be more different. GW2 does hide it some but it plays a ton like WoW and I'm not just saying because it has quest hot spots.

Star Citizen and EQ Next are not being built anything like WoW or GW2. Dunno if that is going to work for them or not but it makes them worth following for me.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by bcbully
    In order to care about something, it needs to evoke emotion. I care about my Wushu toon. Over the past year there has been "omg YES!" joy and sick to my stomach pain.If a game is all joy all the time it gets boring quick. Joy becomes mundane, then what? If the game is all pain all the time, why play unless you are a masochist. Good games run a complete range of emotion. Before you know it, you're hooked.
    Well said, bully! Without the downs of games the ups get mundane and boring.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Yeh .. that is the beauty of evolution. MMO is no longer defined by the narrow, virtual world type games anymore. I am more excited about Destiny, than any traditional MMO.

And to answer your question ... i can't speak for others ... but i never really care about just MMOs that much. They are just one kind of games, and some keeps me entertained, and i always considered them competing for my time, just like any other online (or offline) games.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Sovrath

And how is that? I've played it and it didn't feel like a WoW clone. LOTRO feels more like a WoW clone and there are still differences there.From my time in the game it felt like they took skyrim and guild wars 2 and sort of stuck them together. I don't see wow in that equation. Add the DAoC bent and it most certainly doesn't seem like a WoW clone.
    Yes. An age old, meaningless complaint that does not fit well with TES:O.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Yeah I'd be careful with the term MMO. MMO includes any large scale multiplayer game. MMORPG is a subset of MMO.

Some people go so far as to describe just about any multiplayer game as an MMO which I disagree with but you'll see it happening. D3 gets called one as an example.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

MMO is no longer defined by the narrow, virtual world type games anymore. 

I don't think those 2 words mean what you think they mean.

It is about the game play experience. I pretty much do the same exact things in the same way in GW2 that I did in WoW.

UO, AC and EQ all played nothing alike. Those are three games that came out at around the same time that couldn't be more different. GW2 does hide it some but it plays a ton like WoW and I'm not just saying because it has quest hot spots.

Star Citizen and EQ Next are not being built anything like WoW or GW2. Dunno if that is going to work for them or not but it makes them worth following for me.

Then I would say that i completely DON'T do the same thing in GW2 as I have a tendency to do in LOTRO (don't really like wow).

In LOTRO the game sort of funnels you to the people with the "ring" over their heads. I do try to avoid most quests in LOTRO and in the past have found quests in areas where I was just exploring. But otherwise you go to a hub area, see the rings, gather the quests, do the quests and then turn them in.

In GW2, other than "the main story" I just go exploring. If I come into an area with a heart and it seems fun I'll do it. But otherwise I find the smaller "non" heart activities or just find areas filled with bad guys and have at it. There are a lot of "quests" in GW2 that are just "happenings". Where GW2 sort of fails is that all these happenings are cyclical. So the area WILL change. But will always go back to the previous state. In lotro the area never changes even though you have spent effort supposedly changing the area.

I do much more exploring and tackling the problems that I find, in GW2. If I was to follow the preference of LOTRO deves I'd be collecing quests, running to kill 10 of something and running back.

As for ESO, I can't tell. It feels like skyrim and GW2. However, my elder scrolls experience mostly relies upon exploring dungeons and caves and that is what I think might fail in ESO as there doesn't seem to be the requisite amount of "discoverable" areas. We'll see.

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    I dont care for China or Korea games.If you ever played them you know why...EU games feels like you are back in medieval times..Last but not least, the USA Games feels like you need your bank vault... image

I retired retroactively..Haha

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

Sovrath I think you are spot on with the description of a mix between GW2 and Skyrim, sadly personally I feel that skyrim lacks depth and GW2 was just massively boring after a while. Never talking to people, always spamming dynamic events and shit. Not even any kind of Open world PVP. :/

Personally I feel like the best games are korean but it takes so many extra years for us western people to get them that they are almost outdated by the time they reach us and usually some shitty publisher *cough* gameforge *cough*.