Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you youtube dungeons or raids before your first run?

bronzephishybronzephishy Member UncommonPosts: 64
So I can understand the purist mmo players who want to run dungeons without spoilers but I've ran Garuda trial 20 times and each time there's at least one or 2 pug players that don't youtube and always cause a wipe to fail....I always youtube before dungeons so we can you know ...maybe beat the dungeon? do you youtube or not?

Comments

• Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244

I choose YES and I do sometimes watch you tube but generally I prefer to read the tactics of the fight this generally gets me more info what each power the boss has dose if it has specific rotations what percentage health adds spawn were they spawn and there powers and health. Videos on youtube sometimes good but a lot of them have no description of what's doing what.

On a another note I generally don't mind if people have no idea what's going on as long as they say before we start. I find it really frustrating after a few wipes someone saying they have no idea what's going on.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I never do in any game i play... it ruins the fun of discovery..

But if i play a dungeon for the first time, i tend to do that as DPS, just so i can mark tactics and make mental notes (unless its a new and fresh game in which case i just play my favourite roles of tank or healer)

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Raids yes, dungeons never. I like to know a general idea, but I also like experiencing stuff fresh off. Personally I'll get a bit annoyed if someone is clueless about something in a pug, however say CM (where people speed run) I tend to not really care so much, more so the 'experienced' players just running over fresh 50s content. For me seeing what a fight entails is part of being prepared. While i can't say I bother with everything and I do typically just skim (knowing isn't anywhere near as good as experiencing) I still like that edge in knowing stuff before holding back others.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Yessir absolutely

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    For stuff before 50 I just read up on it once. For level 50 stuff I watch one good video (usually the most popular or upvoted one). I don't like to waste anyone's time.. hence why I've beaten everything (dungeons + bosses + storyline) except Coil on my 1st try. Now to find a good static Coil group...

• bronzephishybronzephishy Member UncommonPosts: 64
    By no means I'm an elitist as I enjoy fresh run dungeons but if you try to explain the mechanics and ppl still don't learn or listen they respond to "is youtube the answer to every mmo?" Not trying to be an ass but please youtube if you have no clue on what to do in pugs as we all enjoy the content but also want to beat the dungeon trial raid 
  • Hero001Hero001 Member UncommonPosts: 18

If reading up or watching a guide is required before hand outside of the game, then whilst it might be good to do so, the game itself has failed. If clues to the mechanics aren't readily available/explained in the game itself, it is poor design. Remember people worked it out without the guide in order to bring you said guide.

A lot of the enjoyment is removed when you require everything to be read up on before hand.

How will you cope when there is no guide?

EQ Next hints at this possibility. Dungeons that are randomly generated, with random end bosses/sub bosses.

Running EQ and EQ2 raids way back when, there were no guides, no you tube. You were forced to apply sounds judgement and a healthy dose of common sense.

A whole sub culture of elitists has been created by guide requirement, the shouts for, xyz class must know tactics? A little part of me dies every time I hear this. So you were lucky enough to have some one walk you through it the first time you did it but you yourself are not willing to walk the uninitiated through it yourself? Give me 8 - 16 - 24 - 100 other people who want to have fun and have the patient and common sense to do their respective best over this subset any day.

Efficiency is fast replacing exploration and entertainment. Dungeons should be an adventure not an exercise in towing the dotted line.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I never do the first time. I like the excitement new area without finding out what it is like first.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570
    I only did it for BCoB.
  • blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    I never do the first time. I like the excitement new area without finding out what it is like first.

Same here. That`s one of the main reason I play videogames. I'm not the "walkthrough" type, but I'm probably old fashioned...

As for people saying that it's "disrespectful" and that everyone should do it or else create their own group or FC, well, one could throw it back at you. If you group via the dungeon finder, you know what you sign up for (basically: anything!).

If you can't handle it and don't want to "lose your time" with noobs, you can create your own group or join an FC of like minded people. I don't see why this would not also be applicable to the "you must youtube first" crowd.

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213
    I might briefly skim through a guide or something, but I draw the line at watching videos. I play the game to experience the content, not to simply follow somebody else's lead like some kind of sheep or lemming. Discovery is half the fun in these games, and someone who can't handle a wipe or two at a boss really shouldn't be involved in this genre to begin with.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

The discussion about "why won't MMO's let you fail" gets touted on these forums all the time, but I've always said that the availability of information is what has done the most to kill challenge in MMO's.

People should not be looking up guides or videos of content before they encounter it. You SHOULD have to fail and flop through it until you learn it. That's part of the fun. I know that in the middle of those moments of failure it can be frustrating to endure them, but that's what people keep saying they miss. That feeling of accomplishment.

This is also one of the reasons I laugh to myself when I see people talk about how easy WoW raids have become. The truth is  the literal opposite of that. Blizzard has continued to add depth and complexity to their raid design over the years, going back to Vanilla is hilarious when you look at what bosses used to do. 1-3 special abilities, only a few had more than one phase.

Now days, you get 3-5 phases, different responsibilities for various groups within the raid, multiple things going on.

Guides + addons like deadly boss mods have essentially sucked all the challenge out of content. How can you fail if you know what to do? It just becomes about gear after that and then it feels shallow.

People don't attribute enough of the decline in MMO challenge to this.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Nope.

In case you were going to ask, I don't look up how a book ends before I read it, either.

i do let the team know its my first time and ask that they let me know why thing they want me to know. So far, no issues. Just be honest about your knowledge of the dungeon and listen to the players who have done it before.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196
    If its a raid I normally look up the mechanics. I dont look up anything for regular dungeons.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

must be the last thing missing, to make MMOs the absolutely worse gaming experience...make a video fly through of how to beat all nameds in an instance...

what a sick idea to spoil the minimal newness there is in an MMO - the only fun in an instance is to figure out, as a group, how to beat it, and to explain the fight abit for people who havent done it before. Ofc you could argue there is no diffrence between watching a video and getting it explained, but tbh it is the last straw of social interaction left in MMOs.

• bronzephishybronzephishy Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Actually suprised how many no's figure with this new generation of level capping the quickest nowadays they just youtube it and run as quick as possible....yet some of the mechanics on high levels are advanced that it will take a first run in pug 10+ wipes to fail entirely.. I can accept several wipes for first runs but to completely fail runs is quite frustrating because someone failed to do their homework....
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE

It's just common courtesy to learn about the dungeons beforehand because you are playing with total strangers.

These total strangers should not have to lose their valuable time wiping unnecessarily because I want the joy of discovery. That's the "real world" of mmorpgs, I'm afraid. It's just showing respect for the group.

However, if you want that joy of discovery, I believe you should play with RL friends with that agreement. Or, you can look for a group in chat with that understanding. I'm sure there are other first timers out there like you, who want to do the same. Finally, you can create your own little guild with like-minded people for the purpose of playing and exploring together with a relaxed and casual attitude. 

Why should i care about your time when im enjoying my time playing a game? If you think it's wasting your precious time then maybe you should not be playing games.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Ive never youtubed an mmo fight in my life and I don't plan to. I healed garuda and we facerolled her 1st try with a pug group and I had no idea what I was doing.
  • gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    for all the people who dont watch youtube videos before you play an end game dungeon: your punishment is coming to you in the form of garuda and titan HM, gl hf.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Nope. Takes away the thrill of learning the content. I play just like everyone else and shouldn't have my enjoyment of how I like to play the game lessened just so others aren't inconvenienced by my 'noobness'.

As others have said, I'll let the group know it's my first time and will take any advice given, but resorting to vids and walkthroughs for me is a detriment to my enjoyment.

• DemalisDemalis Member Posts: 134
    Originally posted by bronzephishy
    Actually suprised how many no's figure with this new generation of level capping the quickest nowadays they just youtube it and run as quick as possible....yet some of the mechanics on high levels are advanced that it will take a first run in pug 10+ wipes to fail entirely.. I can accept several wipes for first runs but to completely fail runs is quite frustrating because someone failed to do their homework....

The only raids I remember, are the ones that the group wiped over and over with the win being so satisfying because of the work involved. I like the challenge, as a previous poster pointed out the raids are not getting easier people that do them lack the confidence and time to do them the way they were intended to be played.

With that said I do watch the videos and read up on the fights, but it does kill some of the fun. Just wish all the videos were not posted then content would last a little longer. Sure a few well organized guilds would have content on farm, but there would be many others still trying for the win.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

in general

raids yes

dungeons no

edit: especially raids that are pugs.  In an FC raid I can expect more friendly explanation.  Or if its new to us all we can agree to learn it together. 

• plutosamsplutosams Member UncommonPosts: 50
    I never do the first time, that ruins the discovery for me.  I will let the group know it is my first time though.  If doing endgame content for the first time I might read a guide; however I won't watch it...again loses too much of the discovery.  Part of the fun and skill in dungeons is learning to be adaptable not being able to do exactly what the people do in the video you watch.  Some of the most fun I have had in a dungeon is when no one in the group has run before and it takes us 2-3 wipes to figure out the tactics and then we get it and have a sense of accomplishment.
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

I Youtube and read up on a dungeon or primal before every 1st run and sometimes after.

If I was running a dungeon for the 1st time with FC buddies I certainly wouldn't.  Then it wouldn't matter if we wiped a dozen times to learn the thing.  If im going to be doing the thing via DF then I will read up etc in case Im the only noob so I don't completely waste peoples time.

Yeah I perhaps shouldn't but I'd prefer not to be pretty clueless about whats coming while adventuring with strangers.

Its Garuda tonight when I get home..  Only the story version at the moment though.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Not before my first run - I don't have any context to base it off of, so trying to watch it before is meaningless to me, and I think it's fun going into something new and trying to figure it out on my own before having it spoon fed to me.

In fact, I don't watch Youtube for any dungeons. If I've wiped a few times and am having trouble with something, I'll go look for a written guide with nice pretty pictures, but videos are largely useless to me.

I do let players in a group know if it's my first time. So far I've been lucky and they explain what needs to be explained (99% of it is "stay out of the red" anyway), and that's been enough to get through. If it's something like memorizing a pattern (Titan HM, for instance), no amount of watching videos can substitute for just getting in there and practicing.