Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Path of Exile: On Launch, The Future, and Beyond

2»

Comments

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by Ender4

There are plenty that have difficulty settings that change how hard the game is but aren't a specific part of the leveling curve. You can get to max level in Titan Quest or Torchlight games on the easiest setting or you can play them on harder ones. Games like D2, D3 and PoE are completely flawed by making you replay the same content over and over and over again just to reach max level and then asking you to sit in that same content for end game. It is one of the most flawed systems in gaming history.

The system is fine for F2P RPGs that aren't P2Win.  It's basically the equivalent of playing through Final Fantasy I, then doing it again with a different party combination, then whatever.  Or playing Disgaia until level 9999, despite how you beat the game back at like, what, level 900?  This assumes proper execution, as opposed to a bunch of lame "time-wasting" mechanics that you wouldn't find in a single-player game (some of which PoE has, but it's really not THAT bad compared to most other online RPGs, especially if you know how to trade at least a little.  ...for completing the main game.  All bets are off if you're shooting for level 100 for whatever completionist-urge-reason you have in you).

Some people like that sort of thing.  Since it's F2P, and you weren't coerced into buying anything important for that completionist in you, it's perfectly okay for this sort of game.

Where it becomes a problem is if the game's a sub-game (which by nature wants to keep you there forever, whereas you can put down an F2P game and call it a day after you beat it without having to come back or pay any more on-going fees), or if it's pay-to-win (in which case, you weren't really a completiionist so much as brought your way to the top)

Path of Exile is one of the few games that can boast an entirely 100% cosmetic cash shop, with the possible exception of extra storage (although honestly, you start out with waaaay more than enough storage for like, 3 characters).  You might need to do a little trading to keep up with the gear depending on your class, but not too much I've found, at least to complete the main game. Once you've completed the main game, you can just put it down and leave, just like you would any single player console game.  Or you can keep going until level 100, just like... well, any single player console game with RPG elements.  (though I wouldn't recommend that too much unless you like PoE's map-system that's required to level past 75 or so.  However, they said they're making it so you can get to level 100 in other ways after release).  Odds are you won't have spent a cent unless you like, really want some of those purely cosmetic effects in the cash shop.

If you're looking for a game you can play forever, then look elsewhere, unless you're one of those super-completionist type people that continues raising your characters in Final Fantasy 1-10 to level 99 despite beating the game months ago.  In that case, PoE will last you far longer, although I'm not sure I'd recommend it for that since PoE's road from level 75 to 100 kinda sucks (though they're looking to fix that).  Still, even then, there are worse more money-grubbing games than PoE to waste your time in.

(disclaimer:  A game you can play forever is very hard to find these days. Everyone seems intent on making a bunch of lame limited-length themepark MMOs which, unlike PoE that's also limited length, actually demand you cough up money for junk that you'd normally play to earn in a single-player console game)

Might be a good idea to wait until release first, though. The main storyline isn't even finished yet (but will be finished with release).

• titanofdoomtitanofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Id like this game a lot more if there was fast boss farming ala D2, and uniques actually bloody dropped!
    Perennially extricating the extraneous
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by boxsnd
    What ARPGs do you like?

There are plenty that have difficulty settings that change how hard the game is but aren't a specific part of the leveling curve. You can get to max level in Titan Quest or Torchlight games on the easiest setting or you can play them on harder ones. Games like D2, D3 and PoE are completely flawed by making you replay the same content over and over and over again just to reach max level and then asking you to sit in that same content for end game. It is one of the most flawed systems in gaming history.

TL2 and Titan Quest have exactly the same amount of content as Diablo and PoE. They have 3 acts and you end up repeating them on higher difficulties. What you are saying is that you don't like ARPG. Cause they all draw heavily from D2. Maybe games like kingdoms of amalur are your kind of thing when it comes to arpg.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by TiamatRoar

The system is fine for F2P RPGs that aren't P2Win.  It's basically the equivalent of playing through Final Fantasy I, then doing it again with a different party combination, then whatever.  Or playing Disgaia until level 9999, despite how you beat the game back at like, what, level 900?  This assumes proper execution, as opposed to a bunch of lame "time-wasting" mechanics that you wouldn't find in a single-player game (some of which PoE has, but it's really not THAT bad compared to most other online RPGs, especially if you know how to trade at least a little.  ...for completing the main game.  All bets are off if you're shooting for level 100 for whatever completionist-urge-reason you have in you).

Some people like that sort of thing.  Since it's F2P, and you weren't coerced into buying anything important for that completionist in you, it's perfectly okay for this sort of game.

Where it becomes a problem is if the game's a sub-game (which by nature wants to keep you there forever, whereas you can put down an F2P game and call it a day after you beat it without having to come back or pay any more on-going fees), or if it's pay-to-win (in which case, you weren't really a completiionist so much as brought your way to the top)

Path of Exile is one of the few games that can boast an entirely 100% cosmetic cash shop, with the possible exception of extra storage (although honestly, you start out with waaaay more than enough storage for like, 3 characters).  You might need to do a little trading to keep up with the gear depending on your class, but not too much I've found, at least to complete the main game. Once you've completed the main game, you can just put it down and leave, just like you would any single player console game.  Or you can keep going until level 100, just like... well, any single player console game with RPG elements.  (though I wouldn't recommend that too much unless you like PoE's map-system that's required to level past 75 or so.  However, they said they're making it so you can get to level 100 in other ways after release).  Odds are you won't have spent a cent unless you like, really want some of those purely cosmetic effects in the cash shop.

If you're looking for a game you can play forever, then look elsewhere, unless you're one of those super-completionist type people that continues raising your characters in Final Fantasy 1-10 to level 99 despite beating the game months ago.  In that case, PoE will last you far longer, although I'm not sure I'd recommend it for that since PoE's road from level 75 to 100 kinda sucks (though they're looking to fix that).  Still, even then, there are worse more money-grubbing games than PoE to waste your time in.

(disclaimer:  A game you can play forever is very hard to find these days. Everyone seems intent on making a bunch of lame limited-length themepark MMOs which, unlike PoE that's also limited length, actually demand you cough up money for junk that you'd normally play to earn in a single-player console game)

Might be a good idea to wait until release first, though. The main storyline isn't even finished yet (but will be finished with release).

Well said :)

• Turkish4676Turkish4676 Member Posts: 87

I guess I am not sure if this article is supposed to be an interview or just the guys talking about their game. If it was an interview why is no one addressing the glaring account theft crossed with no support from the staff? I get that it will randomly happen in any game, but at least have some sort of roll back system.

You are a game with a cash shop. If you want people to buy with confidence you have to have some form of recourse for people who lose their stuff. I can 100% guarantee my system has no viruses or hacks but I had to remake a guy about once a week due to theft. Five of my friends had the same problem and we all heard it was quite common among the players that were in the game with us. The game becomes unplayable when you lose all of your items and you contact support and their only reply is, "I am sorry, it is not our policy to return lost items."

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by Turkish4676

I guess I am not sure if this article is supposed to be an interview or just the guys talking about their game. If it was an interview why is no one addressing the glaring account theft crossed with no support from the staff? I get that it will randomly happen in any game, but at least have some sort of roll back system.

You are a game with a cash shop. If you want people to buy with confidence you have to have some form of recourse for people who lose their stuff. I can 100% guarantee my system has no viruses or hacks but I had to remake a guy about once a week due to theft. Five of my friends had the same problem and we all heard it was quite common among the players that were in the game with us. The game becomes unplayable when you lose all of your items and you contact support and their only reply is, "I am sorry, it is not our policy to return lost items."

It's time to remove the viruses  from your computer.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by TheHavok
    Great game.  Great devs.  Great F2P model.  Grats to GGG for being the ideal indie gaming company.

I agree completely.

As do I.  

• LunarpacLunarpac Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Originally posted by boxsnd

Originally posted by Lunarpac
    For me, the desync (client and server disagreeing on where your character is in the game world) pretty much overshadows anything GGG is planning. Which is a shame, because they're planning a lot of features and stuff for the game, but in the end it's just like strapping a horn to a horse and combing its mane. It's still not really a fabulous unicorn.

Originally posted by anarchywitch
    Desync problem still isn't fixed, you can die at any moment or disconnect. It has no offline mode, even though the game is basically dead. If you queue for pvp 2v2, 4v4 ect, it even shows you 0 people in queue. if you want to play a shit game, you may aswell buy diablo 3, atleast they don't sell out and have Razor items in the cash shop.

I started playing in march and I usually play skills that are prone to desync (cyclone). I have never died to it (and I play HC). It is very easy to control after you learn the basics of the game (which both you guys probably never did). Don't get me wrong, it is PoE's #1 problem but you can easily avoid the desync-heavy skills, have a backup plan for when it actually happens and you'll be fine.

About the article. Another disappointing interview by someone who obviously hasn't played PoE. The same old questions that were already asked dozens of times in the last weeks. Nothing about PvP tournaments/ladders/balance , the new guild system, guild leveling and perks, steam achievements/trading cards. Thanks for nothing, interviewer :( 

Very funny that you should mention cyclone, as I have a lvl 61 duelist with 0+ movespeed, and constantly desyncing to the point where I can't reliably trust my screen to tell where the monsters are. As I'm relying on leech to stay alive, I die easily as I sometimes struggle to cyclone into mobs (even though on my screen, I do). I also agree with you that desync is less of a problem in some cases, but in some cases it effectively breaks the game. It's a shame to have such build diversity on a design level, but in reality, not all of those builds are viable (due to desync). If you're not having a problem with cyclone, gz, but I sure do. :)

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Alot of people seem to love this game...i thought it was pretty meh myself, a little too much like the Diablo games, but I guess that is what some are looking for: Diablo in a different skin (kinda like WoW in a different skin for MMOs).
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

(although honestly, you start out with waaaay more than enough storage for like, 3 characters)

Fair enough post but I would strongly disagree with this. I tell my friends who ask about this game that if they enjoy it they are going to end up dropping $20 for stash space because it is so limited. I personally dropped $40 on it since I figured it was a game I'd come back and revisit multiple times so it was worth it to me.

It is basically D3 the way old school players wanted it, if that sounds good to you then I'd definitely check it out.