Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Naming Constraints

azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Why are there such a large range of characters that can't be used in most games for names, most specifically things like spaces, or apostrophes?

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

Comments

• TenebraeAeternaTenebraeAeterna Member CommonPosts: 34

Primarily, that's the development team's attempt to ensure that people can't create elaborately complex names capable of rendering other players incapable of reporting them. For example, if you have lllIIII'l";'llllII'"':) cheating through some sort of program and murdering your face...it's going to be difficult for you to report them.

What I hate is the inability to use a name that someone else has taken. There are duplicate names throughout every culture, it's time we stop limiting people's ability to take the name they want and simply assign them numbers like Blizzard does.

If I want to be Tenebrae and 700 others have that name too, well so be it.

There has got to be an easy way to do this and make it work, danging.

I've a heart of pure black jade, beating forth the ebon ink of shattered dreams. So spread those thighs my darlings, and let me hear those lustful screams... For twisting coils and silken strands, my venom coursing through your veins. It's my bliss you seek, to ease those troubled pains...

• rainbowdashunicornrainbowdashunicorn Member Posts: 12

That adds to the challenge of having a unique name without any numbers, special characters whatsoever.

I feel a bit proud when I get to think of a name that's not being used by anyone in the game yet.

• ivanj99ivanj99 Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by TenebraeAeterna

Primarily, that's the development team's attempt to ensure that people can't create elaborately complex names capable of rendering other players incapable of reporting them. For example, if you have lllIIII'l";'llllII'"':) cheating through some sort of program and murdering your face...it's going to be difficult for you to report them.

What I hate is the inability to use a name that someone else has taken. There are duplicate names throughout every culture, it's time we stop limiting people's ability to take the name they want and simply assign them numbers like Blizzard does.

If I want to be Tenebrae and 700 others have that name too, well so be it.

There has got to be an easy way to do this and make it work, danging.

That argument is invalid with since like 1999 man, in most games you can right click on a name in Chat, or bring up a list of recently played with/saw users fairly easily.

I can't think of a good reason not to allow 1 of - or ' in a name besides the fact that inpersonating becomes easier if you are trying to fool stupid/idiots/morans, ect.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by TenebraeAeterna
    Primarily, that's the development team's attempt to ensure that people can't create elaborately complex names capable of rendering other players incapable of reporting them. For example, if you have lllIIII'l";'llllII'"':) cheating through some sort of program and murdering your face...it's going to be difficult for you to report them.What I hate is the inability to use a name that someone else has taken. There are duplicate names throughout every culture, it's time we stop limiting people's ability to take the name they want and simply assign them numbers like Blizzard does.If I want to be Tenebrae and 700 others have that name too, well so be it.There has got to be an easy way to do this and make it work, danging.
    Then you have the same problem one chuck norris tels a bad joke and you start blaming him and ask stop telling bad jokes and you get 100 other chuck norisses telling you "it wasn't me" hehe same go for cheating you prolly report someone but other one with same name is punished for that.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by rainbowdashunicorn

That adds to the challenge of having a unique name without any numbers, special characters whatsoever.

I feel a bit proud when I get to think of a name that's not being used by anyone in the game yet.

There are many areas of the game I want to be more challenging... coming up with a name for my character should not be one of them.

It gets really annoying when you join an mmorpg that's been around for a few years and you try dozens of names but all are taken.  It's gotten to the point where I have literally ran my hand across the keyboard and used whatever mess that typed purely out of frustration.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville