Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SotA is just another carebear game

Comments

• InsaneMembraneInsaneMembrane Member Posts: 130
    Originally posted by Aragon100
    Originally posted by Nevulus

To me a carebear stems to even griefers. You know the ones too scared to pick on people ready to fight back but rather pick on people that can't fight back.

As per the eve meaning: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Care%20Bear

4. In the MMORPG Eve-Online (www.eve-online.com) a Carebear is a character who stays in Concord (police) controlled space and never ventures into unsecured "0.0" space. 

Unlike previous MMORPG related definitions, an Eve carebear doesn't necessarily eschew Player-vs-Player activity - a carebear may actually be a pirate or griefer who specifically stays in Concord controlled space to prey on new players (noobs). 

Carebear pirates are commonly considered a cowardly form of pirate.

Is that what the op wants?  To pick on people that cant fight back? 

And another one that didnt bother to read the thread.

I described my playstyle earlier so look that up if your interested.

Drawing conclusions based on nothing isnt that smart.

PK:s with a attitude that all they want to do is ruin someone else gaming experience is something i really despice. Ganking and forever reskilling new players is just making yourself look weak.

Im a PvP player not a PK which is a huge difference.

More and more people every day understand that PvP is selected by players as an option. People who are on the more timid side dont want to PvP, dont have to. More and more people every day are also saying that if PvP doesn't effect them, then sure, let the crazies have their full loot.

Short story? One should stop posting here, and start posting to educate SotA users over there.

Originally posted by g0m0rrah
    Originally posted by Halandir

Sounds like you have found your dreamgame in the making. Why on earth do you spend so much time/bandwidth attacking something that is (well to most anyway) obviously not your dream game?

Belittling a game you have no intention to play will NOT make your dream game better/more successful. Actually it may be counterproductive because most of us carebears are smart enough to avoid games that relies on a fresh supply of cannonfodder. You just managed to strike one game off the list of things to try for some of us.

Anyway: Good luck with your game. I hope it will match your expectations  :-)

Yes why should we critique any mmorpg when one already caters to our needs.  When a mmo isnt even developed yet and they are still basically in the idea stage, we should never comment on our ideas.  We should go play the game that already exists that fits our needs. 

Just because Eve exists does not mean we do not want a decent fantasy setting PvP game that is FFA.  Your argument that " since there is one or two games that fits your needs, you should play them and never speak about other MMORPGS " is a pretty weak one.

We complain about a function or mechanic we do not like.  You complain about us complaining.  We get no constructive ideas.  How about you actually speak on the topic.  Imagine this kind of attitude in the real world, Hey KFC my chicken was under cooked.  Hey man, dont complain about under cooked chicken when you can just go get chicken at Popeye's.

Oh cry me a (constructive) river...

I do not complain about constructive criticism. I complain about whiny belittling!

And no: The OP had all the info at hand. The usual: "Wahwahh. Full loot. FFA. Carebear. etc." is just ranting and belittling a game without adding ideas to move the game forward: Not constructive criticism!

But hey: Enjoy your chickens - You sound like an expert :)

Its ok.  Someone dislikes the game you do.  Someone is asking for an FFA server as an option, which makes you angry because why should other people get to enjoy themselves.

Yeah that is the problem with SotA. Carebears have their game but that is not enough,  they want to ruin the hardcore players SotA game. Make it carebear PvP cause they dont want to take risks and definetly not have consequences as full loot.

They dont, actually. See my post above. If they are spoken to like normal people and not always insulted or trolled with the word carebear, after they find they are protected from us clowns, they dont care what we do to each other.

Yes insurance and full loot. You can board and kill the crew and steal there ship and cargo.

There are no complete safe zones just some that are safer then others.

Full loot and non-consensual PvP is good enough for me. That is something we will never see in SotA.

Sounds like you have found your dreamgame in the making. Why on earth do you spend so much time/bandwidth attacking something that is (well to most anyway) obviously not your dream game?

Belittling a game you have no intention to play will NOT make your dream game better/more successful. Actually it may be counterproductive because most of us carebears are smart enough to avoid games that relies on a fresh supply of cannonfodder. You just managed to strike one game off the list of things to try for some of us.

Anyway: Good luck with your game. I hope it will match your expectations  :-)

Don't give up bro, people who wish to avoid us clowns can use The magicpvpsliderbarthingy(TM). 

You drag that puppy down to Kitten setting and you will never even see us in the game at all. We couldn't even collision grief you if we wanted to :)

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,003
    So, don't play it then. I know I'll be playing even if for some strange reason online mode was disabled completely. Perhaps try EVE Online or Darkfall. With that said I do believe the should be some kind of "wild" area where full loot pvp is enabled but that still won't be the same.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Originally posted by InsaneMembrane
    Originally posted by DeVoDeVo

Carebear is a good name for all PvE players.

You called me a carebear without knowing me nor my playstyle, huge difference, you made it personal.

In a previous thread, a PVPer objected to essentially being called a Sociopath in the Sota forum.  Apparently, some of the people in that forum thought that was a good name for his style of play.

How do you feel about PVErs sticking derogatory names on *your* style of play?  I’m sure they can come up with quite a few.

[mod edit]

That is not correct, again you are working on outdated information. The community manager FireLotus unbanned that word. And as I have already said, you'd have to understand why they attempted to ban it in the first place. Because people like me and you use it to troll crafters and RP players hard by calling them carebears, I mean that is the sole reason that term is here for.

Again, I please ask you very kindly with no sarcasm at all, and I am not trying to troll you either, I just want you to go and read and post your suggestions over at SotA instead of casting rocks from this forum.

So carebear is allowed over at SotA?

Good then i guess they read my thread and finally understood how wrong they treated the ones that favor non-consensual PvP.

Read you thread there, or here?

• DeviateDeviate Member UncommonPosts: 219

I think the OP was just warning people not to expect the same pvp as original UO. I can tell all the people that played UO and got their butt's kicked and stuff taken are posting in this thread. The butthurt is that strong after all these years eh? I probably killed and looted a couple of you here. Well, have fun with your Magic the Gathering skill cards and pve.

Hopefully Rich can release a pve game that doesn't suck as bad as the last fiasco.

And this dude Insanemembrane has his whole website riding on this game being successful, so you know he's gonna defend it to the end lol.

I wish you pve'ers well.

Originally posted by Deviate

I think the OP was just warning people not to expect the same pvp as original UO. I can tell all the people that played UO and got their butt's kicked and stuff taken are posting in this thread. The butthurt is that strong after all these years eh? I probably killed and looted a couple of you here. Well, have fun with your Magic the Gathering skill cards and pve.

Hopefully Rich can release a pve game that doesn't suck as bad as the last fiasco.

And this dude Insanemembrane has his whole website riding on this game being successful, so you know he's gonna defend it to the end lol.

I wish you pve'ers well.

LOLers.

Are you serious? I do nothing but rail on SotA forum users and SotA chat/forum moderators. I call out injustice, I am not a fan boy of anything. Go read, especially about some guy called Owain. It is "pure comedy gold"

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by Deviate

I wish you pve'ers well.

Never played UO personally. Played AC and DAoC for PvP, then moved on to Planetside and now Planetside 2.

Consequently my closest experience is Darktide AC, and I already noted the situation generated in that game.

Next time don't make baseless derisive assumptions and instead provide a comment with substance please. Otherwise we won't have much to respond to.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
      I do not understand why people hate risk vs reward so much when it comes to video games.

Possibly because the vast majority of MMORPG players are mature adults with a family, a job and a life outside of video games, and because they play those games to relax and have fun, and not to have a second job (which isn't even paid, but which they pay for)...

PS: I'm very surprised the OP of this thread is still here after all the repeated insults towards a large part of the player base he made in his posts in this and other threads. I got in trouble with the moderators here for way less than this.

My computer is better than yours.

Originally posted by Neo_Viper
      I do not understand why people hate risk vs reward so much when it comes to video games.

Possibly because the vast majority of MMORPG players are mature adults with a family, a job and a life outside of video games, and because they play those games to relax and have fun, and not to have a second job (which isn't even paid, but which they pay for)...

PS: I'm very surprised the OP of this thread is still here after all the repeated insults towards a large part of the player base he made in his posts in this and other threads. I got in trouble with the moderators here for way less than this.

You and I both. This guy must have friends here. I have to act like a princess otherwise I 'm gone for 48hrs.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

"Mature" adult with a family, job and a life outside of video games... Check!

I think mmorpgs without the risk reward factor are impractical, the purpose of  the game is to challenge the player and currently (until they improve the A.I) other players are the most challenging encounter any player will ever face.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Video games are about enjoyment. You can find enjoyment in having risk/reward. Also, risk/reward doesn't require any extra time than having no risk/reward. What you're saying is a complete non sequitur. Having more important responsibilities has nothing to do with risk/reward. You can have a really forgiving game that is very time consuming and "job-like". 

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Holophonist

Video games are about enjoyment. You can find enjoyment in having risk/reward. Also, risk/reward doesn't require any extra time than having no risk/reward. What you're saying is a complete non sequitur. Having more important responsibilities has nothing to do with risk/reward. You can have a really forgiving game that is very time consuming and "job-like". 

• masterbroodmasterbrood Member Posts: 62
    /support differing server types.  All this jibber jabber when it's much much simpler than all that.  The bottom line is that "carebears" like me are never going to jive with the FFA crew.  So give us our separate play pens and we'll do just fine.

-The only sure thing about the future is uncertainty

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

sometimes i wonder who the real carebears are what with all the whining and complaining that goes on by FFA pvp'rs ...

oh and this:

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• masterbroodmasterbrood Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by aspekx

sometimes i wonder who the real carebears are what with all the whining and complaining that goes on by FFA pvp'rs ...

oh and this:

So many feels!

-The only sure thing about the future is uncertainty

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

Very true. 

• Romulan78Romulan78 Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by General-Zod

I think mmorpgs without the risk reward factor are impractical, the purpose of  the game is to challenge the player and currently (until they improve the A.I) other players are the most challenging encounter any player will ever face.

Completely agree here. There are plenty of Mature mmo players that will not spend a penny trying this game if it becomes another "WOW" no challenge game. Very dissapointed there wont be a felluca type area where pvp is always an option.

Originally posted by Romulan78

Completely agree here. There are plenty of Mature mmo players that will not spend a penny trying this game if it becomes another "WOW" no challenge game. Very dissapointed there wont be a felluca type area where pvp is always an option.

But, there is.

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

But, there is.

No there isnt. Felucca was non-consensual and SotA isnt.

If you didnt know that then you didnt play UO.

But, there is.

Oh, I wasn't catching that you wanted to force all players into non-consensual PvP. Yeah that'll go down well. Get real.

SotA guys have it right on. If you want to max the player base, you need to cater for both. Making PvP optional and having good PvP in the opt in side of it is perfect for me.

But, there is.

Oh, I wasn't catching that you wanted to force all players into non-consensual PvP. Yeah that'll go down well. Get real.

SotA guys have it right on. If you want to max the player base, you need to cater for both. Making PvP optional and having good PvP in the opt in side of it is perfect for me.

It's not force. Did you guys have a meeting and deliberately decide to use manipulative language when talking about this topic? You wouldn't have to play the game so nobody is being forced to do anything.

But, there is.

It's not force. Did you guys have a meeting and deliberately decide to use manipulative language when talking about this topic? You wouldn't have to play the game so nobody is being forced to do anything.

You can't ask someone to play a game they don't want to play. If PvE players are... asked, to PvP, they will say no. If they then have to PvP to get something, a special item, special resource, or whatever then they are not being... asked, to PvP. They are being... uh... well... pushed(ever so gently of course as not to offend you gramarz cops) into doing something they don't want.

SotA was crowd funded on choice of gameplay style. If you do not have a choice, then there is a problem as that choice has already been promised, not playing the game is a ridiculous false option you have levied.

But, there is.

You can't ask someone to play a game they don't want to play. If PvE players are... asked, to PvP, they will say no. If they then have to PvP to get something, a special item, special resource, or whatever then they are not being... asked, to PvP. They are being... uh... well... pushed(ever so gently of course as not to offend you gramarz cops) into doing something they don't want.

SotA was crowd funded on choice of gameplay style. If you do not have a choice, then there is a problem as that choice has already been promised, not playing the game is a ridiculous false option you have levied.

You're forced to pvp if you want to play the game and want the benefits of pvping. Just like you're forced to pve if you want the benefits of pve. It's a meaningless and disingenuous way of saying it.

But, there is.

You're forced to pvp if you want to play the game and want the benefits of pvping. Just like you're forced to pve if you want the benefits of pve. It's a meaningless and disingenuous way of saying it.

In any case, SotA currently is planning to allow both PvE and PvP. My point is, nobody here or even there knows what either is really going to be like in the end. FFS it is only 6 months into the creation of the game.

If you have a problem with something, take it up on SotA forum where the Devs are at least sure to read it. Don't moan here to the masses of the uninformed.