Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SotA is just another carebear game

Comments

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773
    Originally posted by Aragon100

Yes insurance and full loot. You can board and kill the crew and steal there ship and cargo.

There are no complete safe zones just some that are safer then others.

Full loot and non-consensual PvP is good enough for me. That is something we will never see in SotA.

Sounds like you have found your dreamgame in the making. Why on earth do you spend so much time/bandwidth attacking something that is (well to most anyway) obviously not your dream game?

Belittling a game you have no intention to play will NOT make your dream game better/more successful. Actually it may be counterproductive because most of us carebears are smart enough to avoid games that relies on a fresh supply of cannonfodder. You just managed to strike one game off the list of things to try for some of us.

Anyway: Good luck with your game. I hope it will match your expectations  :-)

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Originally posted by Halandir

Sounds like you have found your dreamgame in the making. Why on earth do you spend so much time/bandwidth attacking something that is (well to most anyway) obviously not your dream game?

Belittling a game you have no intention to play will NOT make your dream game better/more successful. Actually it may be counterproductive because most of us carebears are smart enough to avoid games that relies on a fresh supply of cannonfodder. You just managed to strike one game off the list of things to try for some of us.

Yes why should we critique any mmorpg when one already caters to our needs.  When a mmo isnt even developed yet and they are still basically in the idea stage, we should never comment on our ideas.  We should go play the game that already exists that fits our needs. 

Just because Eve exists does not mean we do not want a decent fantasy setting PvP game that is FFA.  Your argument that " since there is one or two games that fits your needs, you should play them and never speak about other MMORPGS " is a pretty weak one.

We complain about a function or mechanic we do not like.  You complain about us complaining.  We get no constructive ideas.  How about you actually speak on the topic.  Imagine this kind of attitude in the real world, Hey KFC my chicken was under cooked.  Hey man, dont complain about under cooked chicken when you can just go get chicken at Popeye's.

• Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409

Please explain to me how PVP = Risk vs Reward gameplay? You keep tossing that around but have yet to explain how this is the case.

You take offense at being called a carebear yourself, and then proceed to take offense that some said you "May" have sociopathic idiations. Yet you continue to use a derogitory term for PvE only players. Do you see the hypocrisy in this?

You like PvP, you think it is the best thing ever, we really do get it. Just move on, stop with the 30 threads for the same bloody topic. Pick one thread and stay there.

And again before you jump on me calling me a carebear... I do PvP, I enjoy PvP. I do not however believe that it is the ONLY way to play, nor do I see how this is "Risk vs Reward" gameplay. That is a canned statement that you are using to make it mean whatever the hell you want.

Risk = Risking something in the game, this can be anything, Time, Loot, Exp, Repair costs. There are different levels of Rick

Reward = The things you gain. XP, Loot, Money

Last I checked all of this can be obtained in PvE as well. So really, your statement does not define what you want it to. However I do understand what you are trying to say.

Originally posted by Arrogant_Wormy

Please explain to me how PVP = Risk vs Reward gameplay? You keep tossing that around but have yet to explain how this is the case.

So you are at the track.  A horse named " Mr Obvious " is 1000/1 and a horse named " Bad Analogy " is 10/1 odds.  Obviously, Mr Obvious is less likely to win so there is more risk to offset the chance at greater gain. 

To translate this to MMORPG PvP terms, If an area has the best loot/exp/money but it is a PvP area, there is much greater risk of death(time/exp wasted) for chance at greater gains.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    Originally posted by Deivos
    Have to clarify what one considers 'risk versus reward' here, because that doesn't seem to be a condition that can only be met through player competition.

I consider that risk vs reward. Add consequences as full loot to it and its pretty much as it should be.

Explain what in carebear world you would consider risk vs reward, im interested.

Experience loss, de-leveling, expensive gear repairs....... all can be pve related and definitely make you think twice before engaging.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by g0m0rrah

Yes why should we critique any mmorpg when one already caters to our needs.  When a mmo isnt even developed yet and they are still basically in the idea stage, we should never comment on our ideas.  We should go play the game that already exists that fits our needs. 

Just because Eve exists does not mean we do not want a decent fantasy setting PvP game that is FFA.  Your argument that " since there is one or two games that fits your needs, you should play them and never speak about other MMORPGS " is a pretty weak one.

We complain about a function or mechanic we do not like.  You complain about us complaining.  We get no constructive ideas.  How about you actually speak on the topic.  Imagine this kind of attitude in the real world, Hey KFC my chicken was under cooked.  Hey man, dont complain about under cooked chicken when you can just go get chicken at Popeye's.

Oh cry me a (constructive) river...

I do not complain about constructive criticism. I complain about whiny belittling!

And no: The OP had all the info at hand. The usual: "Wahwahh. Full loot. FFA. Carebear. etc." is just ranting and belittling a game without adding ideas to move the game forward: Not constructive criticism!

But hey: Enjoy your chickens - You sound like an expert :)

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by Dwarfman420

Pvp in UO =

Reds - pvp spec'd/geared

hunting

Blue players -  pve spec'd/geared trying to pve.

roflmao

w/e 2 hardcore pvp in UO

what a joke

That's what made it good. If I wanted a game where I knew I was going to always be on equal footing, I'd playing something with instanced battlegrounds. But I find it far more interesting to play in an eco system of people engaging in profitable, but risky, professions.

I do not complain about constructive criticism. I complain about whiny belittling!

And no: The OP had all the info at hand. The usual: "Wahwahh. Full loot. FFA. Carebear. etc." is just ranting and belittling a game without adding ideas to move the game forward: Not constructive criticism!

Its ok.  Someone dislikes the game you do.  Someone is asking for an FFA server as an option, which makes you angry because why should other people get to enjoy themselves.

Its ok.  Someone dislikes the game you do.  Someone is asking for an FFA server as an option, which makes you angry because why should other people get to enjoy themselves.

Asking for an FFA server as an option? Where? I did not see that in the OP's posts.

And option or not - It would never anger me. It's not like I am forced to play the thing, how did you make that one up?

And, just for clarification: I have no idea whether I will like the game or not...Have not played it yet for some reason :-D

(repeat ad infinitum)

Asking for an FFA server as an option? Where? I did not see that in the OP's posts.

And option or not - It would never anger me. It's not like I am forced to play the thing, how did you make that one up?

And, just for clarification: I have no idea whether I will like the game or not...Have not played it yet for some reason :-D

Then to use your argument " Why on earth are you wasting the time/bandwidth to moan about someone else moaning".  Any amount of critical thinking when reading the OP's post would suggest that he wants FFA PvP.  Adding an FFA PvP server would simply be one option...

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

Yes insurance and full loot. You can board and kill the crew and steal there ship and cargo.

Full loot and non-consensual PvP is good enough for me. That is something we will never see in SotA.

Actually it may be counterproductive because most of us carebears are smart enough to avoid games that relies on a fresh supply of cannonfodder. You just managed to strike one game off the list of things to try for some of us.

You just dont avoid those kind of games you also try to change the potentially good PvP games out there to suit your own lame PvP playstyle, that is what really upset me.

You have your own carebear game in SotA but that is not enough you also try to bring down the game the PvP hardcore players are looking forward to and change it into a game that is carebear PvP. No risk vs reward and no consequences.

[mod edit]
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Deivos
    Have to clarify what one considers 'risk versus reward' here, because that doesn't seem to be a condition that can only be met through player competition.

I consider that risk vs reward. Add consequences as full loot to it and its pretty much as it should be.

Explain what in carebear world you would consider risk vs reward, im interested.

Experience loss, de-leveling, expensive gear repairs....... all can be pve related and definitely make you think twice before engaging.

So you really claim the risk vs reward and consequences in carebear games to the same as in hardcore PvP games as oldschool UO (before AoS).

Just amazing. 

Yeah that is the problem with SotA. Carebears have their game but that is not enough,  they want to ruin the hardcore players SotA game. Make it carebear PvP cause they dont want to take risks and definetly not have consequences as full loot.

Then to use your argument " Why on earth are you wasting the time/bandwidth to moan about someone else moaning".  Any amount of critical thinking when reading the OP's post would suggest that he wants FFA PvP.  Adding an FFA PvP server would simply be one option...

Yeah a FFA server would be alot of fun. Like old UO.

Actually it may be counterproductive because most of us carebears are smart enough to avoid games that relies on a fresh supply of cannonfodder. You just managed to strike one game off the list of things to try for some of us.

You just dont avoid those kind of games you also try to change the potentially good PvP games out there to suit your own lame PvP playstyle, that is what really upset me.

You have your own carebear game in SotA but that is not enough you also try to bring down the game the PvP hardcore players are looking forward to and change it into a game that is carebear PvP. No risk vs reward and no consequences.

[mod edit]

You quite obviously do not know me. Much less my usual pattern of thought. I am not going to try and change some game to conform to my idea of having fun.

I'll give you this one though: Every time someone pulls the "carebear" card my smiling thoughts drift towards the "idiot cloud"...

And yes, I hope this game will be successful, just as I hope your preferred game will be. Chances are I won't be playing either but why should I wish for failures?

(repeat ad infinitum)

[mod edit]

You quite obviously do not know me. Much less my usual pattern of thought. I am not going to try and change some game to conform to my idea of having fun.

I'll give you this one though: Every time someone pulls the "carebear" card my smiling thoughts drift towards the "idiot cloud"...

And yes, I hope this game will be successful, just as I hope your preferred game will be. Chances are I won't be playing either but why should I wish for failures?

I were describing the carebears over at SotA forums. Was that so hard to understand?

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

To me a carebear stems to even griefers. You know the ones too scared to pick on people ready to fight back but rather pick on people that can't fight back.

As per the eve meaning: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Care%20Bear

4. In the MMORPG Eve-Online (www.eve-online.com) a Carebear is a character who stays in Concord (police) controlled space and never ventures into unsecured "0.0" space. 

Unlike previous MMORPG related definitions, an Eve carebear doesn't necessarily eschew Player-vs-Player activity - a carebear may actually be a pirate or griefer who specifically stays in Concord controlled space to prey on new players (noobs). 

Carebear pirates are commonly considered a cowardly form of pirate.

Is that what the op wants?  To pick on people that cant fight back? 

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,184
    non carebear or hardcore != pvp
  • xxtriadxxxxtriadxx Member UncommonPosts: 155

I suppose it can be said then that thievery is dead as well?

IMO the two best "classes" in UO where Thieves and Detectives...both dead in EA UO now.

I was hoping to see a rebirth of both....oh well..

Originally posted by Nevulus

To me a carebear stems to even griefers. You know the ones too scared to pick on people ready to fight back but rather pick on people that can't fight back.

As per the eve meaning: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Care%20Bear

4. In the MMORPG Eve-Online (www.eve-online.com) a Carebear is a character who stays in Concord (police) controlled space and never ventures into unsecured "0.0" space. 

Unlike previous MMORPG related definitions, an Eve carebear doesn't necessarily eschew Player-vs-Player activity - a carebear may actually be a pirate or griefer who specifically stays in Concord controlled space to prey on new players (noobs). 

Carebear pirates are commonly considered a cowardly form of pirate.

Is that what the op wants?  To pick on people that cant fight back? 

And another one that didnt bother to read the thread.

I described my playstyle earlier so look that up if your interested.

Drawing conclusions based on nothing isnt that smart.

PK:s with a attitude that all they want to do is ruin someone else gaming experience is something i really despice. Ganking and forever reskilling new players is just making yourself look weak.

Im a PvP player not a PK which is a huge difference.

Originally posted by PsychoticHamster
    While I respect that you and many others yearn for a full loot MMO, most players would find that unacceptable. Hell, any player that started MMO gaming after 2000 would be scratching their heads as to why such a system would ever have been considered a good idea. You can chalk it up to the evolution of MMO's, there's just not a huge crowd out their clamoring for full loot. Off the top of my head, Pathfinder would be a game to watch as there is corpse looting in it. Im not 100% sure that you can loot equipment(I think there's an insurance system or something in place) but its a non consensual pvp, player driven game. 

Thx for the tip. Star Citizen is something im looking forward to. 

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    I wouldn't trust RG with your money let alone mine so he's getting nout from me, I'll not be playing his arcane game that's for sure. This guy has more EGO than common sense IMO. Good luck to all you people who fell for his rant and stories of untold riches. Enjoy your over priced plot of real estate as you guys call it over the pond. To be fair this guy should now be living in an old peoples home and getting some serious help.

Asbo

Originally posted by Nevulus

The entire point of playing an RPG for me is to roleplay.  Sometimes I play the villain and sometimes I attempt to play the hero.  Obviously those are very generic roles and I usually attempt at something more specific.  You cant have your Drizzt without your Entreri or Jarlaxle.

The problem with MMORPG's is that people never want to be the victim and when they do become the victim they drop that roleplaying immediatly, cry, whine, then quit playing, and this is what a I call a carebear.  Its ok to be upset at being the victim and its quite fine to plot your revenge or even quit playing if that is not the style of game for you.

What gets old is people constantly shitting all over games with PvPers and such.  People seem to want to call all PvPers griefers.  If you are in an open PvP area and you get ganked, that isnt griefing.  If you get camped, that isnt griefing.  If you get harassed that IS griefing.  If the mechanics and rules of the game allow it, it is not griefing.   This is why I usually prefer faction based PvP so that everyone should have allies to ask for help.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
     If you get camped, that isnt griefing.

uh yes, that IS griefing.

If the person isnt interested in fighting back and you kill them multiple times it is textbook griefing.  Key word being multiple.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Yes there is effort but there is no risk, just rewards. And there is very little consequences.

Corpse runs usually mean you run to a body that never decay or you just have your loot on you when ressurect. 

In the PvE world some games use insurance to lower the risk loosing anything. I can go on alot longer but there is a huge difference.

Read my post again, it touched on what you attempted to claim here.

"Your premise is built on the notion that the problems one faces in PvP is functionally any different than that which one would face in PvE, and not realizing that both are bound to the exact same subject of what rules define the overall game."

You think 'insurance' was any different for PvP games? In Asheron's Call everyone I knew would carry wompum sticks (staffs and such that were technically high value, but of little importance, wompum essentially meaning money) to offset the possibility of their items being lost.

You also misstate on corpse runs. The reason those were so harsh was that they were actually timed in AC, Everquest, etc. You don't make it back to your body and you permanently lose the gear you had outright. No mob or player gets to walk about with it, just flat out disappears.

Your perception is abundantly based on bias, and very little fact. That's part of the issue in and of itself.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin