Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Preparing for the First Big Patch

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest Letter from the Producer has been posted on the Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn site. In the letter, plans for the first major patch are detailed including the incoming "salon", daily quests, solo-able content and much more.

Speaking of end game, I'd like to take a moment to address our players who have completed the main scenario, and are now working to complete relic quests and fight against the hard-mode primals. We realize how difficult it's been to acquire tomestones and have taken measures to alleviate this problem. Although we had a few setbacks necessitating an extension of the planned maintenance on October 15, as well as a subsequent emergency maintenance, we've added additional instance servers for Amdapor Keep as well as the Wanderer's Palace. We've also increased the number of tomestones obtainable in these dungeons, and made adjustments to gil received from within. Patch 2.1 will introduce even more ways to accumulate tomes, so please bear with us.

End game players have also encountered problems with the fifth turn of the Binding Coil of Bahamut. This issue was to be addressed with the patch on October 15, but unfortunately we've confirmed that the problem still persists. Please rest assured we are working diligently to resolve this issue so that players can resume play in this instance as soon as possible.

Read the rest on the Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213

Dailies? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I don't mind a few here & there (like the GC dailies for emblems), but please don't turn this into another daily quest grinder game like WoW!

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Dang that is a fairly large patch. Like a mini expansion by today's standards.

• ArielyAriely Member Posts: 68

are u kidding, they NEED to add quest, allot of people stopped playing cz u need to spam fate's ( which are horrid) to lvl your second class/job

atleast dailys would give some diversity to the grindfest.

• PreythanPreythan Member Posts: 66
    Then it will turn into people complaining that there are too many dailies and still not enough content...vicious cycle
  • Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388

Quest are something that most newer MMOs, esp. Asian ones, seem to get wrong.

If you got just enough quests in your game to get you to max level, you need to double or triple that. Even more so for FF14 because of all the classes/jobs.

Even in vanilla WoW you could level 1-60 touching the other continent, made leveling alts (or jobs in FF14 case) way more tolerable.

• TalruneTalrune Member Posts: 339
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Dang that is a fairly large patch. Like a mini expansion by today's standards.

Yes actually if you ever played their other final fantasy mmo the majority of content was thru content updates like this(patch) and of course a few major expansions....but alot of mmos are moving towards larger updates like this as the player base seems to eat thru it fairly quickly.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by wayubb
    Originally posted by Foomerang Dang that is a fairly large patch. Like a mini expansion by today's standards.
    Yes actually if you ever played their other final fantasy mmo the majority of content was thru content updates like this(patch) and of course a few major expansions....but alot of mmos are moving towards larger updates like this as the player base seems to eat thru it fairly quickly.

Well that's good news for me hehe. At the rate I'm going through content, I will never catch up. What a good feeling that is!
  • RegnorRegnor Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Sounds good, but I continue to wonder why there is so much focus on "solo" content in an MMO. I don't mind "soloable", meaning that it's content that *can be* solo'd if you want to, what I really don't like is content that *forces* you to enter solo. My wife and I play co-op every night and it's a constant source of frustration for us to have to split up, ungroupl and do "solo" instances by ourselves sitting next to each other. And it seems totally unnecessary.

Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I'll be coming back after 2.1.  2.0 after a while just seemed to be missing some things...2.1 will bring all these things :D
  • Prof333Prof333 Member UncommonPosts: 2

Thank you Dev.’s for your continuing work.... 

Dailies are ok but hopefully will not be the staple of things to come.. I agree with more quests.. side quests…. This would certainly lessen the feel of the repeating madness you see in most of the end game content these days.. some love for the casual players would be greatly appreciated as well.. the hardcore player, rushing for top gear and end game raids to get to a point where all there is to do is repeat and repeat, do not support MMO’s in the long term as much as the casual player…  Making a balance between the two playing styles can be difficult for a developer… Hoping to see improvements is SQ’s balancing act…

• StellusStellus Member UncommonPosts: 263
    And yet, their servers only poll for your character's location every 300ms, meaning after you acknowledge a boss maneuver, press the key to react, and the action being recognized by the server, it's too late and doesn't matter where you are on your screen. The game says you didn't dodge in time and your party wipes. Seriously, it's like a monkey architected their network engine.

This has been confirmed by Yoshi with no plans to resolve. These little design choices are sprinkled throughout the game and will frustrate you to no end. The launch debacle was only the tip of the iceberg.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Preythan
    Then it will turn into people complaining that there are too many dailies and still not enough content...vicious cycle

They can easily avoid this, by allowing all side quests to be repeatable by each profession.

I never understood why this wasn't possible in the first Place.

Each profession you try to Level is in essence basically your ALT. Just that it's all tied to the same character. Like in TSW for example, but at least in that game all missions are pretty much repeatable With daily cooldowns.

It's also much better for the community as a Whole, as it would mean that players will continue to Level up other professions via quests in low Level zones and so New players will have always People to help them out and play With.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Originally posted by Stellus
    And yet, their servers only poll for your character's location every 300ms, meaning after you acknowledge a boss maneuver, press the key to react, and the action being recognized by the server, it's too late and doesn't matter where you are on your screen. The game says you didn't dodge in time and your party wipes. Seriously, it's like a monkey architected their network engine.

This has been confirmed by Yoshi with no plans to resolve. These little design choices are sprinkled throughout the game and will frustrate you to no end. The launch debacle was only the tip of the iceberg.

I did eventually decide to sub for another month. I'll give it another couple of months as I've done with other games.

The launch wasn't right. SE admitted they completely underestimated the user initial numbers. But it's gone now.

What hasn't gone as you say is this delayed action, and can it be frustrating at times!. Ok, you get used to it by trying to move out of the aoe as soon as you see it. Most of the time you get it right, but when you still get hit after your character has moved way out of the area, that' just bad.

And you are absolutely right - this needs fixing - asap.

• ArielyAriely Member Posts: 68

This!

i've been saying this from the start.

They claim u can play all classes on 1 character, well they should've made every quest repeatable on a daily basis, lvling a new job/class atm is just... way to boring and grindy

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628
    Originally posted by Regnor
    Sounds good, but I continue to wonder why there is so much focus on "solo" content in an MMO. I don't mind "soloable", meaning that it's content that *can be* solo'd if you want to, what I really don't like is content that *forces* you to enter solo. My wife and I play co-op every night and it's a constant source of frustration for us to have to split up, ungroupl and do "solo" instances by ourselves sitting next to each other. And it seems totally unnecessary.

The inverse of this is that I hate that you are forced to group for a dungeon just to advance your main storyline. Let me run through the dungeons when I want not be forced to ask guildies for help or be forced into a PUG. I guess the good thing about that is that those in a PUG might be in the same boat.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

You guys catch the comment at the end of the letter, regarding his live podcasts? The key phrase I read was "In the MONTHS leading up to release"...

it'll be awhile, folks. Looks cool, though.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by spankybus

You guys catch the comment at the end of the letter, regarding his live podcasts? The key phrase I read was "In the MONTHS leading up to release"...

they are hoping for content patches every 3 months

altho I agree, 2.1 probably won't  be until December

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Originally posted by Benbrada

The inverse of this is that I hate that you are forced to group for a dungeon just to advance your main storyline. Let me run through the dungeons when I want not be forced to ask guildies for help or be forced into a PUG. I guess the good thing about that is that those in a PUG might be in the same boat.

Hmm, so choose to do the dungeon when you want to and then continue with the story. I don't see the issue here....oh ya..."I want it now now now.../flails fists against the ground wildly.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

The problem is that there are so many people who just sit there adn run through the content all day long instead of enjoying the adventure. Stopping to take in the scenery and make friends and socialize. They just sit there and power through the game and when they're done they just complain all day.

MMOs should put in more incentives for people to team up and talk to each other. Like maybe a social stat that benifits the player somehow. Like the more you team up, the happier your character is. The happier your character, the better it fights or something better thought out. All these typical mmo players care about is non-stop killing and getting items and exp. No one plays for the adventure and social aspects anymore. It used to only be a few people that just power through stuff, but now it's like 90% of all MMO players who for some reason think there's golden good times waiting for them once they get the max level or reach the end.

News flash. You just rushed through the good times and you reached the end of it. This happens to them yet they keep going to other MMOs doing the EXACT same thing and expecting different results. This is the very definition of insanity

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Can't wait haven't renewed my subscription yet because of midterms so this will be a very nice treat to come back to.image
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Khm, ... never played any mmo that would force me to SOLO. I always however hated games that forces me to GROUP. Of course while leveling, can not immagine end game without grouping. But I love to enjoy game solo, to test my abilities, developing alts, .... sooner or later there is end game. And there strong and FUN group content is needed. And with FUN I mean no hiper raid ready tank or healer should be ever allowed to enter LOWER instances. Main reason I left Wow endgame because of that tanks that can solo raid going into scenarios or 5man ruining all fun to the rest.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by daltanious

Khm, ... never played any mmo that would force me to SOLO. I always however hated games that forces me to GROUP. Of course while leveling, can not immagine end game without grouping. But I love to enjoy game solo, to test my abilities, developing alts, .... sooner or later there is end game. And there strong and FUN group content is needed. And with FUN I mean no hiper raid ready tank or healer should be ever allowed to enter LOWER instances. Main reason I left Wow endgame because of that tanks that can solo raid going into scenarios or 5man ruining all fun to the rest.

I think he means the Main Story and Class Missions witch usually put you into "Another World", witch does not allow anyone but you into it. They should have made the Main Story and Class Quests similar to Fates, where it would increase in difficulty with each person up to 4 (party size,not raid size).

• Lexandr7Lexandr7 Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by jinxxed0

The problem is that there are so many people who just sit there adn run through the content all day long instead of enjoying the adventure. Stopping to take in the scenery and make friends and socialize. They just sit there and power through the game and when they're done they just complain all day.

MMOs should put in more incentives for people to team up and talk to each other. Like maybe a social stat that benifits the player somehow. Like the more you team up, the happier your character is. The happier your character, the better it fights or something better thought out. All these typical mmo players care about is non-stop killing and getting items and exp. No one plays for the adventure and social aspects anymore. It used to only be a few people that just power through stuff, but now it's like 90% of all MMO players who for some reason think there's golden good times waiting for them once they get the max level or reach the end.

News flash. You just rushed through the good times and you reached the end of it. This happens to them yet they keep going to other MMOs doing the EXACT same thing and expecting different results. This is the very definition of insanity

I don't know about a social stat but you are absolutely, 100 percent correct about people rushing through the game.

The whole point of the MMO was the adventure and being social, meeting people, teaming up to take on quests, pacing yourself and enjoying the ride.  I've been playing for more than a month now and only have a lvl 30 bard and it's been GREAT.  I'm not complaining about content or lack of quests because I had the foresight to know the game just came out so rushing to the end is pointless since there's not much content there, yet.

It boggles my mind when I hear of players skipping dialogue or getting to max level and not knowing how to efficiently play their job/class because they did nothing but FATE grind all day.

As a FFXI vet, I loved how it forced you to team up and grind together or team up to complete quest.  Did it suck? Sure, but I became a better gamer for it from all the interactions I had with other players.  It worries me when I hear them adding more repeatable quests because it just further signals quick, solo'able content where people move from point A to point B and turn in the quest.

Is rushing to the end of a game wrong? No, that's just your play style and everyone is entitled to that but rushing to the end and complaining IS wrong.

Maybe it's a little ironic to say this since we're playing a video game but, really, some people need to grow up.

Stop. Breath. Smell the Digital Flowers and Pace Yourself.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by JeroKane

Originally posted by Preythan Then it will turn into people complaining that there are too many dailies and still not enough content...vicious cycle
    They can easily avoid this, by allowing all side quests to be repeatable by each profession.

Each profession you try to Level is in essence basically your ALT. Just that it's all tied to the same character. Like in TSW for example, but at least in that game all missions are pretty much repeatable With daily cooldowns.

It's also much better for the community as a Whole, as it would mean that players will continue to Level up other professions via quests in low Level zones and so New players will have always People to help them out and play With.

That would be an awful mistake.

Sure, you would have "more quests", but it would be the same old tired quests. It's a lazy way out. Remember SWTOR? One of my biggest complaints was that to see the other storylines, I had to do 95% of the exact same quests over again.

Not that I think daily quests, where it's 2-3 quests recycled over and over are any better, mind you.

Really, I think they already have the answer with Levequests and Guildhests, but they just need to balance them out some (boost the XP reward, reduce the number of allowances, add a bit more variety, etc).

FFXIV does a much better job than most at keeping the zones populated, nearly every zone has a couple of different level ranges associated with it.

• Lexandr7Lexandr7 Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Originally posted by JeroKane

Originally posted by Preythan Then it will turn into people complaining that there are too many dailies and still not enough content...vicious cycle

That would be an awful mistake.

Sure, you would have "more quests", but it would be the same old tired quests. It's a lazy way out. Remember SWTOR? One of my biggest complaints was that to see the other storylines, I had to do 95% of the exact same quests over again.

Not that I think daily quests, where it's 2-3 quests recycled over and over are any better, mind you.

Really, I think they already have the answer with Levequests and Guildhests, but they just need to balance them out some (boost the XP reward, reduce the number of allowances, add a bit more variety, etc).

FFXIV does a much better job than most at keeping the zones populated, nearly every zone has a couple of different level ranges associated with it.

Absolutely.