Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Radeon R9 290X Benchmarks are in

CabalocCabaloc Fort Pierce, FLPosts: 116Member

Not to shabby, now lets see a official price and were good to go .

 

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-r9-290x-benchmark-performance,24732.html

 

Comments

  • VrikaVrika FinlandPosts: 2,576Member Uncommon

    Those benchmarks are done using games and settings chosen by AMD. They're worthless.

  • ArglebargleArglebargle Austin, TXPosts: 1,413Member Uncommon
    They should be viewed as best-case scenarios then.....

    If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

  • RidelynnRidelynn Fresno, CAPosts: 4,164Member Uncommon

    There was one posted on Amazon for $715 US, it wasn't available yet (shocker).

    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FXLMMK2/?tag=hardfocom-20p

    That in and of itself doesn't mean much though.

  • CabalocCabaloc Fort Pierce, FLPosts: 116Member
    Originally posted by Vrika

    Those benchmarks are done using games and settings chosen by AMD. They're worthless.

    I didn't catch that, good call .

  • XthosXthos Columbus, OHPosts: 2,628Member

    Yeah, only 2 games, and only at one specific resolution...Kind of pointless.  Guess you need to be one of the first with some kind of news, but it doesn't answer much overall.

     

  • ClassicstarClassicstar rotjeknorPosts: 2,690Member


    Originally posted by Cabaloc
    Not to shabby, now lets see a official price and were good to go .

     

    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-r9-290x-benchmark-performance,24732.html

     


    Worthless benchmarks and who play games on 4k resolution tell me?

    And this indeed is set up by AMD themselfs lol.

    19xx is still the avarage and i want guru3d or anandtech making bench not toms lol there amateurs.

    And if btw the 290x is only bit faster then 780 and cost almost same i wont buy it.

    If 290x is slightly slower or even with titan and price is around 500 euros i'll buy.

    MB:MSI Z97XPOWER AC
    CPU:Intell Icore7 4790k
    GPU:MSI 2x AMD 290X
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i
    OS:Windows 8.1 64bit)not yet sure i upgrade to windows 10 need to know alot more with integrated cloud and other maybe spy stuff)

  • RidelynnRidelynn Fresno, CAPosts: 4,164Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by Classicstar

    Worthless benchmarks and who play games on 4k resolution tell me?

    And this indeed is set up by AMD themselfs lol.

    19xx is still the avarage and i want guru3d or anandtech making bench not toms lol there amateurs.

    And if btw the 290x is only bit faster then 780 and cost almost same i wont buy it.

    If 290x is slightly slower or even with titan and price is around 500 euros i'll buy.


    First off, I agree it's a mostly useless benchmark. Two games that have always heavily favored GCN over Kepler doesn't tell us much.

    Second - 19xx is "the standard"; however, if a 270x can drive pretty much every game already at 19xx at 60FPS+, then what good does it do testing your faster video card at the same resolution? You get a point of reference as to how much faster, but if basically every mid-upper tier video card out there can provide "good enough" performance, it only makes sense to test it under conditions where you really can stress it and pull some separation from CPU bottlenecks. For top tier video cards, that's usually multi-monitor and extremely high resolutions; so I agree with 4k being the testing standard. It's the only way you can stress these top tier cards enough to really see what they can do.

    Third - I think you hit on the most important point. It doesn't really matter what the 290x's performance is in a vacuum, it's the price-performance ratio that counts, and how that stacks up to what else is available. It doesn't really matter if it's faster than 780 or Titan, what matters is how much that performance costs and how that compares to the 780/Titan.

Sign In or Register to comment.