Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance: Patch to 'Make Weapons More Fun' Arrives

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In last month's state of the game letter, the Defiance team let players know that its priority was to make weapons in the MMOFPS "more fun". With today's patch release, that promise is beginning to be fulfilled.

Today, we released Patch 1.105 and have taken a giant leap forward in delivering on that promise. We have hugely improved the fun factor of all new weapons in the game. This update is a major overhaul of how weapons work: we took a long, hard look at bonuses and rarities and reworked the system so that now, whenever you pick up a new gun, you know exactly what you are getting: and when you find uncommon loot, it’s guaranteed to be badass.

Read more on the Defiance site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213

Unless they've made firing a LMG or SAW feel a bit more weighty then firing say, a slingshot or pellet rifle, no thank you. A belt-fed weapon spewing out a few hundred RPM should feel powerful, something which this game's designers sure as hell didn't seem to understand the last time I played it.

Unless you're a refugee from friggin' Krypton, when you take 60+ rounds of 7.62mm ammo to the FACE, you don't just 'get staggered for a sec', you DIE. PERIOD. I don't give a crap how tough you think you are.

• HartsmanHartsman Trion Worlds CEOMember UncommonPosts: 23
    Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

Unless they've made firing a LMG or SAW feel a bit more weighty then firing say, a slingshot or pellet rifle, no thank you. A belt-fed weapon spewing out a few hundred RPM should feel powerful

You just hit on one of the exact intentions of Project: Make Guns More Fun.

It's more than just the stats and progression, it's the feel.  Some did feel solidly right.  All of them need to.  

If anything feels like a pellet gun (which is a good analogy - I had a similar reaction the first time I tried one too), we're not done yet.

They'll get there. :)

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

It's a start. But seriously.... this game was such a huge dissapointment overall. /shrug

The entire tie in with the TV show was nothing but a hoax. As all they did was add some achievement grinds every couple weeks that had nothing to do With the show at all. /facepalm

As the Whole Tie In With the TV show was basically their MAIN selling point. It didn't had much else going for to be honest. /shrug

The Whole game was nothing but mediocre, With very small game world (smallest I have seen in an MMO so far), little content (except for achievement / EGO grind), no social hubs (in fact due to horrible UI and pleatora of chat issues there was basically hardly any social interaction at all), etc, etc.

I think it's pretty safe to say, that the entire Development of this game was terribly mismanaged from the start and has seriously hurt the reputation of TRION. (Hence the Financial trouble and mass lay offs that followed)

Especially after they delivered us RIFT, which was very polished and solid at launch. It was actually one of the better MMO launches in history.

I am sure I was not the only one that was struck by disbelief that this game (DEFIANCE) was made by this same Company. /sigh

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

Unless they've made firing a LMG or SAW feel a bit more weighty then firing say, a slingshot or pellet rifle, no thank you. A belt-fed weapon spewing out a few hundred RPM should feel powerful, something which this game's designers sure as hell didn't seem to understand the last time I played it.

Unless you're a refugee from friggin' Krypton, when you take 60+ rounds of 7.62mm ammo to the FACE, you don't just 'get staggered for a sec', you DIE. PERIOD. I don't give a crap how tough you think you are.

Easy tattoo this is only a game not a reality game show...image I know how you feel..I laugh when i make a direct hit with a grenade launcher and it takes 20 shots to kill one guy...LOL (Figure of speech)

I retired retroactively..Haha

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Well that's why people play BF3 if they want to play shooter. Its realistic. Defiance is not.
  • BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262
    This is a fun enough game but what hurts it for me was the price tag. The game just didn't have anywhere near enough content for the price tag that came with it when I bought it at launch. 60 bucks for what, 20 hours of casual content? What game comes out like that nowadays? Seriously! That DLC that came out should have been given out for free. I didn't buy it after specificially because of this. Sure Trion should make a profit, but what they did was just a little bit underhanded. It's like paying for a set of tires for a car and only getting the front tires. After Rift and the way that they hyped the show and the game tying in together and vice versa, I honestly expected a whole lot more. If any of this ever changes I'll come back. The base premise for the game was alot of fun, but grinding for stuff isn't enough to keep me coming back when there are other games to play that don't involve grinding at all.

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Has anyone played who can comment on the weapon improvements?  One of my biggest issues was that the pistol I got from the starter mission was better than any other one I found, even blues.  I know this was intentional to make you feel powerful from the start but it was a bad idea.  Why should I play if I already have the strongest weapon in the game?  It got to the point I didnt even pick up loot anymore since my beginning stuff was better than anything I looted.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I loved the show, but overall was vastly disappointed this was considered an mmo after purchasing it. Horrible console based ui, terrible chat systems, and an extremely small world is what turned me off. If the price tag had been half of what it was, it might of been worth the purchase. Sadly, it wasn't though I will continue to watch the show.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Originally posted by Banegrivm
    This is a fun enough game but what hurts it for me was the price tag. The game just didn't have anywhere near enough content for the price tag that came with it when I bought it at launch. 60 bucks for what, 20 hours of casual content? What game comes out like that nowadays? Seriously! That DLC that came out should have been given out for free. I didn't buy it after specificially because of this. Sure Trion should make a profit, but what they did was just a little bit underhanded. It's like paying for a set of tires for a car and only getting the front tires. After Rift and the way that they hyped the show and the game tying in together and vice versa, I honestly expected a whole lot more. If any of this ever changes I'll come back. The base premise for the game was alot of fun, but grinding for stuff isn't enough to keep me coming back when there are other games to play that don't involve grinding at all.

bioshock infinite 7 hours for 60 bucks. glad I didn't buy it, but thats what u get for your 60 bucks. I laugh at people who wasted money on that game it has 0 replayability too. Even the first 2 before it had 2-3 diff endings. Alot of games released lately aren't worth the 60 bucks they want for them. They are way to short, Honestly I only been buying indie games lately, paid 5 bucks for Terraria got 300 hours and counting out of it. Name 1 big publisher/dev game in recent years with that value. Though rune factory 4 is getting up there, I must have close to 100 hours logged and I still didn't finish the game yet. Well finish the story I mean the game has no end after you complete the 3 story arc's you can keep going.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    The basic game play of Defiance is fun, imo. The big downfalls are (among other things) small, bland game world - the actual world looks pretty much the same from the north to the south, with little variation in the surroundings beyond the core 3 or 4 art sets. I was incredibly disappointed with ruined San Fransisco; a dozen run down buildings and mostly big hills and robots. The lack of NPC variety is a hindrance as well. Always beating on the same 3 or 4 NPC species gets old very quickly. The show Defiance seems like a world ripe for exploration and carving out an individual's character, yet the game has no real reason to explore beyond finding the next exlamation point or (too few) ark falls. The ark falls resemble nothing of the ones on the TV show. On the show they are crashed sections of a massive generation ship. In the game, it's either giant bugs or a giant crystal - nothing to venture into to scavenge. Ark falls would have been a fantastic opportunity for dynamic, explorable content, but instead it's a weak capture and hold against NPCs plus DPS zerg. Bottom line, the play mechanics are there, but the imagination and creativity to enhance the game play are not. That's the biggest problem, beyond just weak weapon drops.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248
    This is an excellent start. I really like that!
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

This game made many mistakes in it's implementation. Some choices, like what they put client side, confuses me immensely as it's generated a few outstanding problems that can't be absolved, such as the ability to speed-hack the game.

However, it exists in that nebulous situation where I enjoy it in spite of it's glaring issues. Improvements are always welcome.

Whats bothering me at the moment though is that I just sold off both my orange sniper rifles. :p

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin