Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Character Creation Video Shines

Comments

• Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by shalissar
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

It looks pretty good as to what should be standard by now. I'm glad they're not skimping on this.

I'm trying to remember what other mmo has that triangle body shape mechanism. I remember thinking that was pretty slick.

I think that's Age of Conan, but the changes that you make on the sliders are more pronounced in ESO. Pretty nifty stuff, I'm gettin' more excited about this!

Arent they using the same engine as AoC?

I wouldnt be surprised if they used the same base engine... graphics indeed look a lot..

Unlikely, I don't think Funcom licenses their Dreamworld engine.

back on topic, if Skyrim's char creator was like this I would have played it way more. They were just fugly compared to this, esp. the elves.

Edit: looks like it's using HeroEngine:

http://elderscrollsonline.info/news/about-game-engine

hopefully they do a better job of implementing it than SWTOR did image

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Looking pretty good to me. Quiet a robust system. Not enough games allow you to be a chubby hero. Already thinking of making a portly Breton mage. He needs to lay off the sweetrolls!
  • Valgar1Valgar1 Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by davc123
    looks almost same as
    You must not play Rift, Looks NOTHING like rift.  

• Valgar1Valgar1 Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Really nice. Reminds me of AoC but cleaner?  Anyway, just wondering what computer specs we will be looking at to run this at max performance, these games always start out looking great until you get um on your system and they just don't have that shine plus playability.  Anyone know if they have a reccomended spec set yet?.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by spookydom
    Looking pretty good to me. Quiet a robust system. Not enough games allow you to be a chubby hero. Already thinking of making a portly Breton mage. He needs to lay off the sweetrolls!

The nemesis of all the Skyrim guards?

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054
    Originally posted by Siris23

back on topic, if Skyrim's char creator was like this I would have played it way more. They were just fugly compared to this, esp. the elves.

You didn't read that properly. "ZeniMax tell that HeroEngine helped them to get started. But final version of Elder Scrolls Online will have its own unique engine."

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    I was wondering about this. The very first thing I do for any Elder Scrolls game is look for the mods that make the character models not suck.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by HighMarshal
    I was wondering about this. The very first thing I do for any Elder Scrolls game is look for the mods that make the character models not suck.

I agree... which is why I'm still scratching my head at the comment above from someone saying it doesn't look quite as good as Skyrim - It looks much, much better than the unmodded Skyrim.

It would take sevreal good hand-picked mods to add the variety of looks (and colors specially) to Argonians and Khajiit that this has... not to mention that all 3 elve types can now look pleasant instaed of the overly-angular weird aliens they were made into fo Skyrim. Separate body and face tats is also a pretty cool new feature - it may exist in some MMO out there already but if it does, I don't know about it.

Don't know about in-game textures, lighting, etc. yet; but this part at least has got it all over Skyrim.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by stealthbr

You didn't read that properly. "ZeniMax tell that HeroEngine helped them to get started. But final version of Elder Scrolls Online will have its own unique engine."

Ah, that's what I get for skimming.

Hopefully it really will be custom built from the ground up and not we modified the HeroEngine so much that it no longer looks like the same engine and is now "unique"

Edit:

Though we don't know what stage they're at with this video, could be starting phase HeroEngine or it could be custom engine.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    The whole time I was watching that I was distracted by the painted on armour.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor

Do you mean how solid pieces are flexible and look like they're just skin? I wish you hadn't pointed that out. I didn't notice it in the video when I first watched it. Now that feature is like Rift.

Yeah I had noticed that when I played it. bothered me then too.

It's sort of like Dragon Age like that.

I believe there is a real reason for it. Like keeping polygons down or something. I remember coming across an explanation for that type of design but I just don't  remember the specifics.

If it is that then it would make sense considering they have large scale pvp.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162

This looks amazing. Gonna be stuck on character creation for a few hours. image

Funny though. After reading some of the comments here and on the youtube page, I'm convinced that even if you give someone some solid gold bars they'll still find something - even if it doesn't exist - to complain about. I mean really . . .

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

Originally posted by TheBigDRC

Funny though. After reading some of the comments here and on the youtube page, I'm convinced that even if you give someone some solid gold bars they'll still find something - even if it doesn't exist - to complain about. I mean really . . .

Stop giving me gold bars, they're too damn heavy image

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by TheBigDRC

Stop giving me gold bars, they're too damn heavy image

You'll take those gold bars and like it! image

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    If they don't open the world to exploration at any level, and stop trying to force RvR onto the player base, this would be cool...but because Matt and Zenimax continue to try to pass ESO as an Elder Scrolls game this means squat to me.  
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Nice and robust customization.

One of two on my "to-do list" for the upcoming spring (hopefully), but i do have my doubts and concerns on both of em.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

I love the customization. More western MMO's need to do this.

Unfortunately, the customization is pointless when the character will always come out looking terrible. The character models in this game are bland. 

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I dont think I spotted a boobs-slider there, very troubling very troubling indeed, time to UNSUB >:O

Yeah, like stated many times now, looking good :)

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor

Do you mean how solid pieces are flexible and look like they're just skin? I wish you hadn't pointed that out. I didn't notice it in the video when I first watched it. Now that feature is like Rift.

Yeah I had noticed that when I played it. bothered me then too.

It's sort of like Dragon Age like that.

I believe there is a real reason for it. Like keeping polygons down or something. I remember coming across an explanation for that type of design but I just don't  remember the specifics.

If it is that then it would make sense considering they have large scale pvp.

Having to make each and every single armor piece it's own separate item is massive amounts of work and taxing on the computers that'd run such amounts of polygons. It's both technical and time consuming option for games of the MMORPG-scale to make the armor "skins" rather than of separate layers of armor(s).

People should really stop looking at MMORPG's as singleplayer games taken online in a massive scale, it's just not reasonable technically (or labour-wise) if you're after a large audience. Just start looking them as their own gaming-entity in itself (as in, stop comparing to games designed for singleplayer or small scale multiplayer).

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Seems no real improvement over skyrim, so DX9 lowend graphics and hair looks AWEFULL and primitive textures.

Argonians looking best and detailed.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Teala
    If they don't open the world to exploration at any level, and stop trying to force RvR onto the player base, this would be cool...but because Matt and Zenimax continue to try to pass ESO as an Elder Scrolls game this means squat to me.  

Its not even close to Elder scrolls its just another mmo with forced gameplay limited freedom.

It looks even cheap DX9 and look at the simple hair characters have and textures its like if they copy it from Oblivion.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

I don't give a shit what the toons look like, but how the game plays and I'm hoping as there is a subscription this will allow us to build a very social community like used to be in EQ1 many moons ago. IMO if they cannot get the graphics looking good in 2013 what's the point of spending loads of Wonga on decent graphic cards and systems to run this kind of stuff in the first place?

But like someone else pointed out at least it looks better than EQN!

Asbo

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273
    cool
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by Fusion

Having to make each and every single armor piece it's own separate item is massive amounts of work and taxing on the computers that'd run such amounts of polygons. It's both technical and time consuming option for games of the MMORPG-scale to make the armor "skins" rather than of separate layers of armor(s).

People should really stop looking at MMORPG's as singleplayer games taken online in a massive scale, it's just not reasonable technically (or labour-wise) if you're after a large audience. Just start looking them as their own gaming-entity in itself (as in, stop comparing to games designed for singleplayer or small scale multiplayer).

It's not a demand to make every item it's own complex set of pieces, it's a comment on the notably 'painted on' appearance that armors tend to have when they use the base body. It doesn't look right, it doesn't move right, and they couldn't even be bothered to weight the mesh differently to address such issues with what's ostensibly metal getting bent and warped as if it had no structure at all.

There are still solutions that fail to be addressed. A simple alternative would be a base mesh that offsets segments of the body so that you have a heavier appearance, and texture multiple styles over that same as you would any other base mesh. It's a compromise that would give a armor some body to it that would make sense, without having to do a ton of extra effort like you tried to call out.

As for looking at MMORPGs like single player games. It's no simpler to make quality assets for single player games than it is for MMOs. The time and technique necessary is the exact same. The difference is performance.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    So pretty much standard fair, nothing groundbreaking here but it looks good.