Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: Fighting for Riches

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Gaining riches in WildStar will take place in many different ways: CREDD, player trading, auction house and more. In our latest WildStar column, we examine each and offer some insight. Read on and then head to the comments.

Any discussion around trading markets would be incomplete without considering the impact on CREDD. To recap, players can buy a 30-day game time token with real money, and then place it on the Commodities Exchange for others to buy with in-game coin. It’s similar to EVE Online’s PLEX and EverQuest’s Krono, while RIFT and Guild Wars 2 use a variation for their item shops.

Read more of Gareth Harmer's WildStar: Fighting for Riches.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

The Carbine guys are fully aware that credds arent going to do anything and the subscribers themselves will be the ones buying credds and selling them cheaper to their friends while everyone else will be screwed and wont have enough time to gather in game gold to buy credds from other players.

I say this because on Wildstar's website, under the businesss model, theres a little story explaining the process between a subscriber and a non subscriber. It clearly says that the non subscriber has to have a lot of free time within the first free month to gather a "huge pile of extra gold" to purchase credd from the subscriber that will then be rich with the (again used the same term)  "pile of gold" he earned by selling the credd to the other guy.

So yeah, they are fully aware that people wont have the time to gather enough money to buy credds. I am planning to purchase the game but i know i wont have the time to gather the "huge pile of extra gold", ive never been a good money maker in mmos. So i will just try to get my $60 dollar worth within the first month then go back to GW2.

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335
    What is the point in buying a mmo with the intention to just play for one month.  Its kind of silly, mmos are designed to be played for multi-months, not just one.  Buying a game just for one month is doing nothing and you will not even see half of what the game truly offers.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by hardicon
    What is the point in buying a mmo with the intention to just play for one month.  Its kind of silly, mmos are designed to be played for multi-months, not just one.  Buying a game just for one month is doing nothing and you will not even see half of what the game truly offers.

i love mmos, but i dont play them for the end game because all they do is pvp and raids as end game which im not a fan of....

So a month is good enough for me to either be sold on subscribing or completely abandon it. I dont plan to subscribe but aside from credds the only thing that turne me off was already addressed (being able to disable telegraphs) which is great, so i like everything else ive seen. Just not fond of subs. But like i said in the past, when i actually play the game, depending on how much content i is there that i consider worth staying for then ill sub a couple months. But thats not my set focus. I prefer GW2 model any day.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Is there really a big demand in gaming for complex currency systems? I for one am not interested in juggling in game currency. There is no way around it, but for me its just not appealing. I guess I will just go back to sucking my thumb and playing on consoles.
  • DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Sounds like Plex, which works great for EvE Online. How it will pan out in this game is still up in the air since we dont know crap about how their economy will be.

• tempest373tempest373 Member Posts: 2
    One of the best things about the CREDD system is that it removes the need for china farmers. I am sure they will be there, but it kills their market. Now, I could legitimately buy some game time and sell it for in-game gold. That is genius. Not only is Carbine making money, they are indirectly selling you gold. The people who don't want to pay for that sub, can grind away. Either way, the sub is being paid for one way or another.
  • PsistormPsistorm Member UncommonPosts: 46

Well, I'm looking forward to see how the system works. The commodities exchange sounds interesting to be sure, well see how it plays out, but I like not having tons of listings and being likely able to buy single units.

As far as the P2win thoughts go, honestly I'm not terribly concerned, since one of the Wildstar devs already said that the really good gear will always be gated by additional requirements like factions, raid status and other stuff, so you can't go around buying the best stuff in the game without having put in work for it. So that somewhat mitigates that concern. How well CREDD works in the end, we will see, but either way I will be subbing anyways, so won't have to concern myself with it.

Given how the devs put a ton of time into endgame/elder game content, I'm not very worried about the subscription either. They said they are aiming for a nice, long leveling time, and they are also aiming for a ton of endgame at launch. Since opposed to other game makers, they actually realize that people WILL do anything to blaze to cap and that once they complain that nothing's there for them to do, people still leveling will go "meh" and leave. So makes me wonder why so many companies think they can get away with a couple of HM dungeons, half of a raid, and 5 dailies for endgame, and then assume they can just patch it in 3 months later, and then wonder why there is a sub drop-off after the first 30 days.

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Originally posted by rojo6934

The Carbine guys are fully aware that credds arent going to do anything and the subscribers themselves will be the ones buying credds and selling them cheaper to their friends while everyone else will be screwed and wont have enough time to gather in game gold to buy credds from other players.

I say this because on Wildstar's website, under the businesss model, theres a little story explaining the process between a subscriber and a non subscriber. It clearly says that the non subscriber has to have a lot of free time within the first free month to gather a "huge pile of extra gold" to purchase credd from the subscriber that will then be rich with the (again used the same term)  "pile of gold" he earned by selling the credd to the other guy.

So yeah, they are fully aware that people wont have the time to gather enough money to buy credds. I am planning to purchase the game but i know i wont have the time to gather the "huge pile of extra gold", ive never been a good money maker in mmos. So i will just try to get my $60 dollar worth within the first month then go back to GW2.

Yeah but if you play mmo's you know that you can gain alot more gold several months in per month than at the start.  So yes you have to pay a subscription for a few months (not the worst thing in the world ask the 15 million who did it for wow at its peak) but then if your good at the game you can keep going for free.  Personally if paying a subscription means they have the money they need to make it a good game ill gladly pay it.  I only resent to paying to play a mediocre game because i feel it degrades from what could be a more successful community if it were f2p.

People have more invested in subscriptions so if its worth the money it won't hurt  the community again look at wow.

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816
    Originally posted by hardicon

Whats the point of spending $60 on a 10 hour long first person shooter?

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

you get more from a mmo than a normal console game 12-18 hours+.

but I don't like to pay subscription fees and there is no way ill sub. for more than a view months.

thank goodness for ever quest next with no subscription fee,and unfortunately it takes them 5 years to build a mmo but most people only play for a view months because they will not listen and create a living world not just levelling and end game.

• neoharrineoharri Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by rojo6934

You do realise they said that you cannot choose who you sell credd to, it is just bought and sold on a nameless market.

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Originally posted by Deathenger
    Sounds like Plex, which works great for EvE Online. How it will pan out in this game is still up in the air since we dont know crap about how their economy will be.

Yeah I was thinking that exact same thing, Plex is a great idea. It works great in EVE. I hope this CREDD system works out well for Wildstar though.

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248

I love how F2P'ers complain about someone being able to buy something. It just sounds so idiotic to me. lol.

You. guys. play. for. free. End of story.

(Not to mention the EVE players that get self-righteous over the fact they can pay for their monthly subs based on their own individual gameplay--lulz. They are just working for their F2P--which is a near-perfect motivator I might add from a marketing standpoint. A perfect motivator would add in an ante by form of a cost per plex transaction of ingame currency or real cash. That would be the golden "key" for marketing (through draw) and income management (through continual price points.))

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

-snip-

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Indeed, works great for EVE in which the market is player driven pretty much entirely (ofcourse there's loot of some value)

Then again, Wildstar will most probably be your basic "WoW-economy" where items don't decay, most are loot drops and only few items here and there are crafted (and never needed again after the initial purchase) and eventually in-game currency will just become pretty much obsolete, apart from buying that odd "flask" or buff-foods for raids (if you do them).

So needless to say, this is not a game for the crafter / entrepreneur.

The more reveals they do, the more i see "WoW 2.0" with action combat and "PLEX" written all over it.

We'll see how long it'll take carbine to start selling glitter-ponies and other crap on their website, even after announcing P2P, which generally means, everything for everyone that pays the monthly.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442
    Still not very...
  • RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194

Just having a RMT ingame commodity doesn't make it like PLEX. A lot of games already tried to copy that lately and most if not all failed or are lacking. PLEX work because of many other things in EvE. And not the least is the fact that you have a thriving economy which is based around the possibility of losing everything you have on you at every single moment which means someone else can get filthy rich in that same instant. In MMOs with low risk and reward RMT commodities just mean an endless grind . Or bots. In masses.

I trust NCSoft every day that they and their subsidiaries will manage to fuck it up anyways.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

This system works in EVE because of the many many "gold" sinks, so I hope that Wildstar will have that as well.

• RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Originally posted by PieRad

This system works in EVE because of the many many "gold" sinks, so I hope that Wildstar will have that as well.

Gold and time sinks alone would not keep players trying. They have to be balanced against business opportunities. If the only business opportunities are to sell consumables, the usually subpar crafted gear (which never gets destructed) or the few competitive unbound pieces of armour which drop in raids (and never get destructed) then it's not enough to get people to keep 2-3 accounts like in EvE.

• GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225
    Originally posted by Rylah
    Originally posted by PieRad

Gold and time sinks alone would not keep players trying. They have to be balanced against business opportunities. If the only business opportunities are to sell consumables, the usually subpar crafted gear (which never gets destructed) or the few competitive unbound pieces of armour which drop in raids (and never get destructed) then it's not enough to get people to keep 2-3 accounts like in EvE.

I completely agree with you. There needs to be a reason for all professions to craft, not just an alchemist-type churning out consumables. 

Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Another example of other sources of gear, destroying the need for crafting. I had high hopes for this game.

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

• spade312spade312 Member Posts: 10
    Is anyone else but me see this game screaming: LET'S TAKE WOW 1.0 and GW 2.0 AND FUSE THEM!