Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Starting to get turned off to this game everytime I see a new screenshot. 
  • morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Ah thats like World of Next or Next Wildstar? The grafix just turn me off big time.

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by Tierless

I can honestly say I joked about the graphics but the 2 cartoony characters didn't REALLY annoy me. They weren't ideal but they were livable.

But these look terribad. I am pretty turned off by them. Hopefully they will jack up the quality over the dev cycle.

Meh. They seem fine to me. Gameplay > Graphics in my eyes. As long as the art is consistent through out the entire game I see no issue with any cartoony-ness.

But different strokes for different folks.

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

the new pics remind of me of a gumby land -- where EQ2 housing meets Free Realms

I'm not excited by the pics but they don't bother me either

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

good lord... well, at least it has housing heh.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Considering that all the elements in those pictures can technically for the most part be destroyed... they look pretty good in comparison to what they could look like. I mean I think what they are doing makes sense, you don't want it to look too good and have it demand too much from older PC's. Some games still don't recognize SLI.
  • GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134

Looks good to me. 

I prefer this style over graphics that try and be realistic but never are.  

• ChaaKChaaK Member Posts: 39

A little bit simplistic and too clean, but it's okay if gameplay's cool.

They need to tune down the blur though

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Ghern
    Looks good to me. I prefer this style over graphics that try and be realistic but never are.  
    They could afford to tone down the saturation a little and it wouldn't hurt the overall aesthetic imho.
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by Tierless

I can honestly say I joked about the graphics but the 2 cartoony characters didn't REALLY annoy me. They weren't ideal but they were livable.

But these look terribad. I am pretty turned off by them. Hopefully they will jack up the quality over the dev cycle.

Now that sounds like someone without any vision or imagination, just like my wife. I took my wife to see an old rundown house, she saw an old rundown house, I saw Potential.

It seems so many ppl have lost thier imaginations, Landmark has endless possibilties, yet some ppl are judging it by some screenshots!! For heavens sake get your hands dirty first before writing it off.

I am really looking forward to trying my hand at this standalone EQ product, and I know many of my guild friends who play other MMO's are just as intrigued to see what they can do with it, alot of them already run Minecraft servers and are already dreaming up concepts to create.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Looks good to me. I prefer this style over graphics that try and be realistic but never are.  

Yep. The only games where the graphics really bother me are games like Rift that go for realism but when zoomed out at a normal play zoom they look just awful.

I expect this game to be on the low end graphically since everything can be destroyed and players can build their own structures. They are basically painting by numbers here.

• ChaaKChaaK Member Posts: 39

I expect this game to be on the low end graphically since everything can be destroyed and players can build their own structures. They are basically painting by numbers here.

You gotta be kidding, it looks gorgeous in the outside. Lursh jungle etc...

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by ChaaK
    You gotta be kidding, it looks gorgeous in the outside. Lursh jungle etc...

I didn't say the graphics would be trash, just on the low end. That doesn't bother me even a tiny bit. I've yet to see a game release with what people called 'amazing graphics' and not just totally stink. The games that are good balance system load with graphics and make it work by having a good artistic style. GW2, WoW etc.

• georgatos7georgatos7 Member Posts: 54

I will gladly run around with my large guild and tear those abominations down.

The natural beauty of the scenery must be preserved !

• MetrobiusMetrobius Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Looks good to me. If I can build anything I want out in the world and it looks like this, then I am excited. What I really want to know abiut are the other systems in the game. Will we be able to grow crops and breed animals?
  • KremchekKremchek Member Posts: 49
    I always thought I liked realistic graphics better...but there is nothing to like about realistic graphics. If you want to play a game for more than a couple years it can't be realistic. Look at how good Wow still looks compared to EQ2. Love the graphics and art style I've seen so far. I look forward to playing EQN:L and EQN for 15 years with graphics that never go out of style!
  • evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

I look at it the same way I do SWTOR. SWTOR's graphics really looked horrible in the early phases ( they didn't improve *all* that much..but they did get better) but I was still able to enjoy the game for quite a while, and what made me finally give up on it was lack of content updates and the cash-grab, not the graphics.

The gameplay, update frequency, over-usage of a cash-shop will be the deciding factors for me.

• EnrifEnrif Member UncommonPosts: 152

This Castle is build from Georgson, not one of the Level or Art designers. Ofcourse its not breathtaking. But this could be build by every one, thats the point of it. 

We will see many like that. Cause not everybody is a DaVinci

• MetrobiusMetrobius Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Its sort of like in minecraft. Everyone starts out by building a stone box. But then you learn to mix different types of materials, incorporate the landscape, and add interesting embellishments that make the castle look way better .
    With the scupting tools and the ability to use different colors and textures of stone and wood, I plan to make statues, mosaics, stained glass windows, fountains and all sorts of things like that. I hope we get placable shrubs and grass and flowers at launch. I really hope I can ha ve a reflection pool full of water.
  • SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350

I don't understand, why everything is so rounded. Isn't the engine capable of producing square blocks? I would assume that is what a voxel engine is best at. Instead it looks as if everything was moulded out of clay.

And why is everything blue? Stones come in many colours, but they are only very rarely blue.

Originally posted by Enrif

This Castle is build from Georgson, not one of the Level or Art designers. Ofcourse its not breathtaking. But this could be build by every one, thats the point of it. We will see many like that. Cause not everybody is a DaVinci

This is true. While I still don't like the Characters, I like the environment graphics. You have to consider that the whole castles is kind of a quick-and-dirty approach.

The wall texture is quite bad. It looks like blue Play-Doh. This is where most of the cartoon-look comes from  With a better and more realistic wall texture the whole thing would look different.

Originally posted by mrputts

Meh. They seem fine to me. Gameplay > Graphics in my eyes. As long as the art is consistent through out the entire game I see no issue with any cartoony-ness.

I think you are misusing this whole gameplay > graphics thing. Of course it is true in general. If I have to decide between gameplay and graphics I'll always pick the gameplay. But unlike a indie-game a AAA-title should shine in all departments.

For a AAA game this is no excuse for weak graphics, and it is certainly no excuse for odd design decisions in any game.

You are using it to say that graphics don't matter. You are basically saying that the whole art department is useless, because their work doesn't impact the game at all.

This argument could be used to defend everything. Maybe you like the cartoony style, but I still believe you wouldn't like just any kind of graphics. Maybe there are people who really can't appreciate aesthetics and everything looks the same to them, but this is a personal weakness.

• mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by Sengi
    Originally posted by mrputts

I think you are misusing this whole gameplay > graphics thing. Of course it is true in general. If I have to decide between gameplay and graphics I'll always pick the gameplay. But unlike a indie-game a AAA-title should shine in all departments.

For a AAA game this is no excuse for weak graphics, and it is certainly no excuse for odd design decisions in any game.

You are using it to say that graphics don't matter. You are basically saying that the whole art department is useless, because their work doesn't impact the game at all.

This argument could be used to defend everything. Maybe you like the cartoony style, but I still believe you wouldn't like just any kind of graphics. Maybe there are people who really can't appreciate aesthetics and everything looks the same to them, but this is a personal weakness.

No, arts cool I like pretty looking games like Battlefield 4, or Crysis. I also like games like Gears of war with the stupid over sized people. As well as games like Minecraft which looks like shit, but is fun as hell to play.  On the flip side there are pretty looking games that I just can't stand to play due to bad lore, clunky mechanics and the like.

But when people say they are "turned off" from this game due to the graphics. Then that leads me to believe they are more interested in graphics than any gameplay this game may offer. So my statement seems pretty pertinent to the conversation. 

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Ender4

Looks good to me. 

I prefer this style over graphics that try and be realistic but never are.  

Yep. The only games where the graphics really bother me are games like Rift that go for realism but when zoomed out at a normal play zoom they look just awful.

Hey is there another version of RIFT?

Been playing RIFT for several month now but the version I am playing is really far from realism, to me it's more cartoony/stylized.

I have to agree the screenshots do not really excite me,but the premise of what the game want's to deliver does.

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    By the power of grayskull!