Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STO Wow

ElreicElreic Member Posts: 79

So I played this game at launch. Picked it back up two weeks ago. I have to say, early on I found the game too simple and smallish. Fast forward to today...

1. HUGE

2. Complex gaming and lots to do, duty officers, crafting, its pretty neat

3. Looks great

4. Missions are fun

5. Events are fun

6. A ton of variety

7. Its a space game!

I am so surprised and wonder why more folks are not taking a look at this game.

Comments

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    oops  sorry  it was in the title duhnm  but other people obv didnt feel  like you did some things just aint others cup of romulan ale
  • Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

I also tried STO.  However, I could not get past the crappy graphics.  On my rig, it looked like the graphics came from 10 years ago.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I'm not a fan  of space games. I seem to be able to spend endless hours in medieval fantasy worlds.  Well, maybe not all the time. Reason why I was looking for something different to play.  I remember asking about this game and was told:  "If you want to enjoy this game, NOT being a fan is a requirement".  
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I am playing it from time to time.

Some additional points ...

- F2P ...and i can enjoy the game without paying a dime.

- Very solo-able. In fact, i can enjoy it pretty much like a solo game.

- You can "drive" famous star ship class like the constitution class refit (in ST1-ST6 movies) and the miranda class (USS reliant in ST2). Obviously this is more a plus if you are a trekkie.

• ElreicElreic Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by quseio
    dont even know what game your talking about, try posting  in the games forum, would help and  nameing the game ya know

Sorry man, Star Trek Online.

I'm starting to feel, however, that I should be daring and actually give this a try now.
    Originally posted by flizzer
    I'm starting to feel, however, that I should be daring and actually give this a try now.

It is f2p. The most you can lose is 15-30 min .. so why not?

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Like all Cryptic games, the new paint feel disappears after the first couple of weeks.  Too much instancing makes the game feel like there are only one or two zones that are alive with general chatter, the rest is sheer silence unless you have an active guild.  In a genre that is full of repetition, Cryptic has mastered the art.  Most modern updates to the game exist primarily through the cash shop and it was so in your face as I played the game, I sometimes felt like I was playing retail sales online.

Originally posted by Skooma2

I also tried STO.  However, I could not get past the crappy graphics.  On my rig, it looked like the graphics came from 10 years ago.

Looks amazing on  my higher end machine.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    It's a decent game. If another company had handle it besides Cryptic it could have been good or even great. Also having PW in the mix doesn't help. They don't see anything but $$ signs when it comes to the people that play STO. As much as they rob people on items you'd think things would be fixed. But I guess that's just not the Cryptic/PW way.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Like all Cryptic games, the new paint feel disappears after first couple of weeks.  Too much instancing makes the game feel like there are only one or two zones that are alive with general chatter, the rest is sheer silence unless you have an active guild.  In a genre that is full of repetition, Cryptic has mastered the art.  Most modern updates to the game consist primarily through the cash shop and it was so in your face as I played the game, I sometimes felt like I was playing retail sales online.

Maybe, I am two weeks in, I will chime in again soon. The DUTY officer stuff and FLEET stuff sure added a ton of stuff to do. I keep finding stuff I had no idea were in there and now they added Foundry (user made) quests.

Originally posted by Roin
    It's a decent game. If another company had handle it besides Cryptic it could have been good or even great. Also having PW in the mix doesn't help. They don't see anything but $$ signs when it comes to the people that play STO. As much as they rob people on items you'd think things would be fixed. But I guess that's just not the Cryptic/PW way.

Well it seems you can do a TON for free. They have to pay for the game somehow, you prefer sub model?

Originally posted by Elreic

Looks amazing on  my higher end machine.

To be fair, the star ship graphics looks great, and the ground based graphics is just ok.

Like all Cryptic games, the new paint feel disappears after the first couple of weeks.  Too much instancing makes the game feel like there are only one or two zones that are alive with general chatter, the rest is sheer silence unless you have an active guild.  In a genre that is full of repetition, Cryptic has mastered the art.  Most modern updates to the game exist primarily through the cash shop and it was so in your face as I played the game, I sometimes felt like I was playing retail sales online.

- "too much instancing" is good in my books. It helps to do the trek-like story missions, and i can play the game as a SP game.

- I basically ignore the cash shop and still have fun. You can get some iconic star ships without paying a cent, and upgrades are plentiful. You don't need to pay a cent to get through all the story content.

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Like all Cryptic games, the new paint feel disappears after first couple of weeks.  Too much instancing makes the game feel like there are only one or two zones that are alive with general chatter, the rest is sheer silence unless you have an active guild.  In a genre that is full of repetition, Cryptic has mastered the art.  Most modern updates to the game consist primarily through the cash shop and it was so in your face as I played the game, I sometimes felt like I was playing retail sales online.

Maybe, I am two weeks in, I will chime in again soon. The DUTY officer stuff and FLEET stuff sure added a ton of stuff to do. I keep finding stuff I had no idea were in there and now they added Foundry (user made) quests.

The duty officer stuff was fun but as I leveled up my ranks, it became a big grind.  I wold log in for a few minutes, assign the duty missions and then log off.  Nice addition but it wore off after a while.

I've also been critical of Cryptic in the past, but one thing they have done fairly well and I would like to see in other games is The Foundry.  Neverwinter Online had this also and was the most enjoyable part of the game.  Something is wrong when two Cryptic/PW games have user created content and ESO is going to launch without anything similar.
    Originally posted by Torik

The duty officer stuff was fun but as I leveled up my ranks, it became a big grind.  I wold log in for a few minutes, assign the duty missions and then log off.  Nice addition but it wore off after a while.

Uh? The season story missions are grind to you? They are fun RPG stuff to me. I play the game primarily for the story content.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I'd hop in to add to your O.Post:

8. Foundry

but I see you've found it :)

And it's not a new addition from them, it's in game for a while now. Maybe the best part in STO, at VA I mostly play the Foundry, the DOff system and the festivals. Fleet grind is too grindy for my taste, rep grind is a bit better, there are some fun options on the list to do that.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Torik

Uh? The season story missions are grind to you? They are fun RPG stuff to me. I play the game primarily for the story content.

The story missions and the DO system are two separate things.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

the graphics are pretty good un ultra settings. Not 2013 graphics but far from old. Somewhat on par with Neverwinter.

• Juice2000Juice2000 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    With the choice of ships and who is on your crew plus the ability to customise everything from looks to names and then change it all at any moment made this game for me roleplay heaven in a single player type of way. However the endgame is all grind will little done to promote fleet play. So as much as i love this game it will always be a go to game that i never quit but never commit alot of time to, much like gw2 as well. such a shame =(
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Cryptic you say ? No Thank You!!!!
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Originally posted by juice2000
    With the choice of ships and who is on your crew plus the ability to customise everything from looks to names and then change it all at any moment made this game for me roleplay heaven in a single player type of way. However the endgame is all grind will little done to promote fleet play. So as much as i love this game it will always be a go to game that i never quit but never commit alot of time to, much like gw2 as well. such a shame =(

You don't have to play the endgame. I don't plan to do so. There are so many story missions that i won't be finishing this game for a long time (particularly i play on and off).

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Well it seems you can do a TON for free. They have to pay for the game somehow, you prefer sub model?

That's not what I mean. I mean PW/Cryptic are more focused on making money then on creating an enjoyable experience. My biggest problem with the game is in no order:

A) Lock Boxes - These are just by the worse thing to be put in STO or any F2P game for that matter. I have no problem spending money on F2P games. But Lockbox rely too heavily on milking you for ever penny or eating up absurd amounts of time farming money to buy keys to unlock boxes.

B) Nothing being fixed - I started playing STO back in early 2012 I think (I still play now matter of fact). But some of the same bugs that were present then, are there now.

C & D) Too much repetition/Too much time required farming - STO is like I said a decent game. The story is enjoyable and moves along at a good pace, and is interesting. It comes to a screeching halt once you hit VA though. Not too bad right? Till you find out their idea of what to do at VA is grinding  tokens in the same STF's over, and over, and over, and over. Still not too bad right? Every game has a bit of repetition for endgame. What makes it bad is that you are expected to also spend ridiculous amounts of time farming as the reputation systems starts requiring greater and greater amounts of items that just eat away your EC faster then you can make it. The worse part of the Reputation on top of that is the Dith requirements for some of the projects. Even funnier is if you decide to start a new character. Your rep grind starts all over. Your dith grind starts all over. Your mark grind starts all over. In the same STF's you been running before.

Like I said it is a decent game it is just held back by a lack of patching to fix bugs. A lack of new content.  Too great a focus on milking you for ever penny, and eating up as much of your time as possible while rewarding you with as little as possible.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

You weren't asking me, but Yes, and always. It is dangerous to rely on the generosity of Large aquatic Mammals.

I found STO enjoyable, but shallow, as a Trekkie there were a number of "issues" i had with the game, but Cryptic didn't care during beta or at Launch. Cryptic has added content, some things did get better. Good to hear a Player (OP) is enjoying themselves.

For me the Lock Boxes got on my nerves.... If it's Loot in a MMO Then I had better be at least able to toss it in Replicator and get some Energy Credits out of it, but no. The announcements every time a Player got a Ship from a Lockbox was completely annoying for me.... the whole Lockbox and Announcements thing was ultimately why I quit. If another Player Captain wants to tell me they got a new ship, then cool, but it shouldn't be announced to the Galaxy.