Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Favorite version of FFXI

MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

FFXI has changed drastically over the years. Many of the expansion packs have brought sudden changes. Some people loved the changes and other people loathed them. The original version of FFXI is almost nothing like the current version of the game. It's a mistake to assume that someone who did like FFXI likes it today. So my question is which time period of FFXI are you the most fond of. I'd add a poll if I knew how to.

For me FFXI was at its best before the ToAU expansion. Vanilla and RoZ was already difficult and COP took the difficulty another step forward. The darkness motif was appealing to me too. The promyvions, forests, and dungeons were all much darker than other areas. The darkness and difficulty, combined with the punishing death penalty that already existed in FFXI made me a little scared sometimes.....

Anyways, I'm curious about what people will say.

Comments

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
      For me the golden period was after COP. Rise of the Zilart gave me some of my favorite classes and COP added some really fun stuff to do. I didn't dislike TOA, and in fact had some real fun with Bluemage, but it paled in comparison to COP. I was forced to break for a while during a deployment and when I returned I found the game had become all about book burns and if you didn't run those you didn't exp. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Chains hands down was my favorite time period in FFXI. I enjoyed ToA, but it just didn't have the same impact of CoP had on me. Zilart gave us three great classes and  CoP gave us the endgame things to do. I enjoyed Blue Mage and Corsair a lot. But the rest of the expansion wasn't all that great for me and was the start of the more easy leveling speeds and things. WoTG was the last decent expansion. 

Abyssea ruined the game for me. 

edited to make it more clear. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    vunak23

I think you're confused. Cop didn't add any classes.
  • CodeFuzerCodeFuzer Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Originally posted by FlawSGI
      For me the golden period was after COP. Rise of the Zilart gave me some of my favorite classes and COP added some really fun stuff to do. I didn't dislike TOA, and in fact had some real fun with Bluemage, but it paled in comparison to COP. I was forced to break for a while during a deployment and when I returned I found the game had become all about book burns and if you didn't run those you didn't exp. 

Same here...except my break had a different reason :P

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Magiknight
    vunak23

I think you're confused. Cop didn't add any classes.

Yea you are right. I always pair Zilart and CoP up together though since most of the western players started and Zilart was being paired with CoP. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Between CoP and WoTG was my favorite time. Easily.
  • tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321
    Everything post Zilart and pre Abyssea was MMORPG excellence IMO. Didn't help that I was an MMO virgin and absolutely fell in love with the game for years from NA launch.
  • AliothAlioth Member UncommonPosts: 236
    Yep, I'm in agreement with you guys. My favorite time was after Zilart, but before ToA. Around CoP release was excellent - pure gold. 
  • NinelNinel Member UncommonPosts: 40
    I arrived in Vanadiel at EU release with ZM and COP and it was my best mmo experience until now. I quited time ago after ABY and i'm always in temptation of returning. Dunno how is the game now. I should test it. 
  • nasominasomi Member CommonPosts: 3
    The golden days were CoP era. Toau was ok, but it took the focus off jeuno, which I didn't like. Jeuno wasn't convenient to get to, but it wasn't to far either. ToAu was designed to go once you were 75, and I had a lot of jobs that weren't 75 yet.