Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me understand. Why do you buy gold?

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    What is this grind that is causing so many to buy gold? 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Any part that you find uninteresting and repetitive but feel it is, for some reason, necessary to progress.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • repomanrepoman Member UncommonPosts: 18

I think, because we/they can.

It is as with everything on this planet with human beeings - we do it because we can.

It differs slightly on reasons, so I have to say I paid some money in a ftp because it was so well I would have bought it  in the first place. ( also it was much faster to get the points/ep/weapons etc. to compare :o) )

So to admit, I can pay and I will if it is worth to me.

2cts from here and have fun

Trying hard to become human as it should be.

• DemandmanDemandman Member Posts: 57

For me it's about efficiency.

I'd prefer to work an hour and make the equivalent of tons of hours of gold farming, rather than do the latter. After all, the game has to be combined with real life at some level anyway. Rather not have TWO economies to worry about.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by qombi
    Originally posted by jpnz

I can grind for 5 hours or I can work at my job for 10 mins and use that money to avoid the grind.

Hmm... I wonder which one I'd choose; 5 Hours vs 10 mins

Tough choice....

Hmmmm ...... play a game I don't really enjoy or pay someone else to play it ... tough choice?

That is not the point.

Obviously there is some part of the game one would enjoy after paying to bypass the non-fun parts. Otherwise, why play the game in the first place?

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832
    I kinda understand it in a way..... but it does seem rather silly to me. There are so many different things to do for entertainment.... including different types of games..... that if a major aspect of the game is ultimately so unfun for me that I'd actualy consider paying someone else to do it for me........ than I'd rather just find a different game or activity to entertain me in the first place.
  • ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Well when I played World of Warcraft (when it was harder) and I was lazy I wanted to make stuff. This was playing when it 1st started and about 1-2 years later and only getting ONE purple drop..I wanted more. Only did it a few times and was the only mmo I ever did as far as I can remember.

Yet remember back in 2009 it (gold farming) was making 3 billion a year.  So we see more people buy gold then we know. Like saying "I never played WOW" what ever..

As for this OP.. I think hes really asking "Anyone else buy gold like me?"

• SilverchildSilverchild Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Originally posted by jdnewell

You hold up the term " Gamer" like its a badge of honor that comes with a code of conduct. For most people its a form of entertainment they do in free time, not the Marines.

Its just not that serious. And I am not sure what would even classify someone as a " bad gamer". It is entertainment, saying bad gamer is like calling someone a Bad Movie watcher.

You are free to have your opinion, and others are free to ignore it. You just stay busy being a true hardcore gamer, that way you can make yourself feel good while you look down on the rest of us =)

My hobby is watching movies. I dont have much time, though, so I pay my little brother to watch the first hour of movies, then I watch the endings. Bad movie watcher?

My problem with buying gold (from 3rd party) is that MMOs are MULTIPLAYER games. Cheat all you want when you play your single player games... but in multiplayer? Follow the rules. Or pick a F2P game with "pay to win" cash shop.

I put the gold buyers into the same basket as the Aimbotters in FPS, and maphacker in RTS.

Originally posted by Silverchild

My hobby is watching movies. I dont have much time, though, so I pay my little brother to watch the first hour of movies, then I watch the endings. Bad movie watcher?

You never heard of the "fast forward" button? People do use that all the time to skip over parts of video they do not enjoy. In fact, they pay for that feature in their machine.

That is no different than paying to skip part of a game people don't enjoy. The only difference is that you pay a one-time fee for the machine with the fast forward button, while a game charges you multiple times to skip.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by jdnewell

You hold up the term " Gamer" like its a badge of honor that comes with a code of conduct. For most people its a form of entertainment they do in free time, not the Marines.

Its just not that serious. And I am not sure what would even classify someone as a " bad gamer". It is entertainment, saying bad gamer is like calling someone a Bad Movie watcher.

You are free to have your opinion, and others are free to ignore it. You just stay busy being a true hardcore gamer, that way you can make yourself feel good while you look down on the rest of us =)

Not a bad movie watcher but definitely someone who isn't too tech savvy, because everyone else has been just using the free Fast Forward button for decades now. A better use of your money would be to pay your brother to teach you how to use the remote. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Silverchild Originally posted by jdnewell You hold up the term " Gamer" like its a badge of honor that comes with a code of conduct. For most people its a form of entertainment they do in free time, not the Marines. Its just not that serious. And I am not sure what would even classify someone as a " bad gamer". It is entertainment, saying bad gamer is like calling someone a Bad Movie watcher. You are free to have your opinion, and others are free to ignore it. You just stay busy being a true hardcore gamer, that way you can make yourself feel good while you look down on the rest of us =)
    Not a bad movie watcher but definitely someone who isn't too tech savvy, because everyone else has been just using the free Fast Forward button for decades now. A better use of your money would be to pay your brother to teach you how to use the remote. 

You don't skip through good movies. Same with games I guess. Bad ones let you pay to avoid the parts that suck. Worse ones intentionally put in bad parts in order to entice you to pay to skip them.

Could you imagine if movies were like that? Directors putting in hours of pointless dialogue with the option to pay to skip past it...

And yet in video game land, its par for the course.

Originally posted by Foomerang

You don't skip through good movies. Same with games I guess. Bad ones let you pay to avoid the parts that suck. Worse ones intentionally put in bad parts in order to entice you to pay to skip them.

Not when i watch them the second or third time. I don't like all the parts equal even in good movies like The Avengers.

Same with games. Some parts i am more willing to repeat than others.

Originally posted by jdnewell You hold up the term " Gamer" like its a badge of honor that comes with a code of conduct. For most people its a form of entertainment they do in free time, not the Marines. Its just not that serious. And I am not sure what would even classify someone as a " bad gamer". It is entertainment, saying bad gamer is like calling someone a Bad Movie watcher. You are free to have your opinion, and others are free to ignore it. You just stay busy being a true hardcore gamer, that way you can make yourself feel good while you look down on the rest of us =)

Could you imagine if movies were like that? Directors putting in hours of pointless dialogue with the option to pay to skip past it...

I've never played a good game then, MMO or spg.  There is always something in them I get bored with and want to skip so I can continue to do the things I do enjoy.  That must be why I've never actually finished a video game in my life.  They must all be bad.

I'm resigned to the fact that a game will never be created just for me, nuts.  I will continue to play a game if I enjoy the majority of it... and continue to skip the parts that bore me.

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248

OP: Might I suggest something? I just had a brainstorm reading this thread. I'd rather not make a new thread over it cause well, I simply don't know if it's the case. But something we should definitely consider is:

Is the backlash against gold buyers inherently from F2Pers? I mean as in a majority. As I cross reference and double check members on this thread a good vast majority of them are F2Pers pushing F2P.

Something to munch on I would think? :)

• Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388

Originally posted by jdnewell You hold up the term " Gamer" like its a badge of honor that comes with a code of conduct. For most people its a form of entertainment they do in free time, not the Marines. Its just not that serious. And I am not sure what would even classify someone as a " bad gamer". It is entertainment, saying bad gamer is like calling someone a Bad Movie watcher. You are free to have your opinion, and others are free to ignore it. You just stay busy being a true hardcore gamer, that way you can make yourself feel good while you look down on the rest of us =)

A better analogy would be "I like watching the most popular movies, but I don't have the time to stand in line, so I pay my little brother to stand in line fro me, then I pay him for the ticket and enjoy the movie"

I have yet to play any game, MMO or otherwise, where grinding in game currency was part of it's entertainment value.

"avoiding content" and "convenience" are the two arguments you guys like rally against. It's amusing. I say it's amusing because you either refuse to understand or categorically reject any reason other than those as those allow you the moral high ground. You waggle your fingers at those reasons as if they were the only reason anyone spends money in an MMO, despite many saying otherwise. 

Why is that? 

But to get back on point.... what you're saying is that his problem isn't that he's a bad movie watcher, he just sucks at choosing movies.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

There is no backlash against gold buying, it is been embraced by the NA and global game communities as evidence by the increasing rising number of people supporting those games and the increasing revenue of that market.

It is just this community, insulated in their bubble of self-induced isolation, that thinks there is a backlash.

• BlizzardShillBlizzardShill Member UncommonPosts: 37

Everyone has a certain tolerance to grinding.  Some people enjoy the grind as it gives them something to do while listening to music or whatever.  Others want to play the game and minimize the time they spend on repetitive tasks that they do not consider fun.

Like several people mentioned before me, a mere ten minutes working our regular jobs would bring in enough money to buy in-game currency that would take hours to grind.  From this perspective, it's simply more efficient to work and then use some of the money to buy gold.

The follow-up argument is 'well, why are you paying for someone else to play the game? do you not like it?'  But this assessment is flawed because an MMO typically consists of more activities than just grinding for currency.  The gold buyer may not like grinding, but may love the activities that grinding benefits (read: most all of them, given how important gear is in many games).

That is the reason why most buy gold.  Its impact on MMO economies is an entirely separate discussion, and I'll avoid going into that here.

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

I've never played a good game then, MMO or spg.  There is always something in them I get bored with and want to skip so I can continue to do the things I do enjoy.  That must be why I've never actually finished a video game in my life.  They must all be bad.

I'm resigned to the fact that a game will never be created just for me, nuts.  I will continue to play a game if I enjoy the majority of it... and continue to skip the parts that bore me.

Yeh, and by that measure, EQ was a horrible game.

I wanted to skip 99% of the game including down-time, slow travel, camping in a queue, and death penalty.

Originally posted by Psion33

OP: Might I suggest something? I just had a brainstorm reading this thread. I'd rather not make a new thread over it cause well, I simply don't know if it's the case. But something we should definitely consider is:

Is the backlash against gold buyers inherently from F2Pers? I mean as in a majority. As I cross reference and double check members on this thread a good vast majority of them are F2Pers pushing F2P.

Something to munch on I would think? :)

Now when you consider there are a dozen or so sub games and about 100 or so F2P games, what you've got there sir is a rather meaningless piece of data. 

Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Loktofeit Originally posted by Silverchild Originally posted by jdnewell You hold up the term " Gamer" like its a badge of honor that comes with a code of conduct. For most people its a form of entertainment they do in free time, not the Marines. Its just not that serious. And I am not sure what would even classify someone as a " bad gamer". It is entertainment, saying bad gamer is like calling someone a Bad Movie watcher. You are free to have your opinion, and others are free to ignore it. You just stay busy being a true hardcore gamer, that way you can make yourself feel good while you look down on the rest of us =)
    You don't skip through good movies. Same with games I guess. Bad ones let you pay to avoid the parts that suck. Worse ones intentionally put in bad parts in order to entice you to pay to skip them.   Could you imagine if movies were like that? Directors putting in hours of pointless dialogue with the option to pay to skip past it... And yet in video game land, its par for the course.

Thats cool. Works great with games that have a lot of options already built in for how you can play the game. Its a bit different when you make a game with only one way to progress, and it is intentionally bad so that it encourages you to pay to skip it.

You don't skip through good movies. Same with games I guess. Bad ones let you pay to avoid the parts that suck. Worse ones intentionally put in bad parts in order to entice you to pay to skip them.   Could you imagine if movies were like that? Directors putting in hours of pointless dialogue with the option to pay to skip past it... And yet in video game land, its par for the course.

Thats cool. Works great with games that have a lot of options already built in for how you can play the game. Its a bit different when you make a game with only one way to progress, and it is intentionally bad so that it encourages you to pay to skip it.

Naw.  If there is only one thing to do in the game and I like doing it, no problem.  If I don't like doing it I won't play it.

Remember games are my entertainment, if there isn't anything the game that is entertaining, it isn't doing the job.

There might be something entertaining 50 hours later, but again it's my entertainment, that means it should have something I feel is entertaining every second I'm playing it.  So I'll never see the good part 50 hours later, and really wouldn't want to.  That much boringness would make me gauge my eyes out.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Yeh, and by that measure, EQ was a horrible game.

I wanted to skip 99% of the game including down-time, slow travel, camping in a queue, and death penalty.

What you have left would probably have been a decent hack-n-slash MMO. 

Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by VengeSunsoar Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Loktofeit Originally posted by Silverchild Originally posted by jdnewell You hold up the term " Gamer" like its a badge of honor that comes with a code of conduct. For most people its a form of entertainment they do in free time, not the Marines. Its just not that serious. And I am not sure what would even classify someone as a " bad gamer". It is entertainment, saying bad gamer is like calling someone a Bad Movie watcher. You are free to have your opinion, and others are free to ignore it. You just stay busy being a true hardcore gamer, that way you can make yourself feel good while you look down on the rest of us =)
     I've never played a good game then, MMO or spg.  There is always something in them I get bored with and want to skip so I can continue to do the things I do enjoy.  That must be why I've never actually finished a video game in my life.  They must all be bad.   I'm resigned to the fact that a game will never be created just for me, nuts.  I will continue to play a game if I enjoy the majority of it... and continue to skip the parts that bore me.
     Naw.  If there is only one thing to do in the game and I like doing it, no problem.  If I don't like doing it I won't play it.

Remember games are my entertainment, if there isn't anything the game that is entertaining, it isn't doing the job.

There might be something entertaining 50 hours later, but again it's my entertainment, that means it should have something I feel is entertaining every second I'm playing it.  So I'll never see the good part 50 hours later, and really wouldn't want to.  That much boringness would make me gauge my eyes out.

i agree for the most part.

I gauged my eye out once. Went to the doctor and he asked me what I was doing with a micrometer so close to my face. 

I had no answer. image