Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clause live streaming honest discussion about future of Darkfall.

Comments

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Deerhunter71
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

Had they added more sandbox type features instead of being pure PvP/Conquest, I would have stuck around and paid a sub.  The game has promise as something more than it currently is.  The model failed before, and it's failing now.  It simply does not have broad enough appeal in its design to hold many subscribers.  

This if there was more MMO "fluff" and other things to do this would be huge I think.  But they still only have basically an open MMO world for arena-pvp.  They must put in a lot of other fluff or there is no hope of broader appeal.

People often ask for more "fluff"..

They have city building, crafting, ship building, pirating, treasure hunting, dungeons, and the markets...

What more "fluff" can you suggest? Be specific please.

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

DF 1 was my favorite MMo in the last ten years.

DFUW......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWL90wryyOw

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Originally posted by Lustmord

Had they added more sandbox type features instead of being pure PvP/Conquest, I would have stuck around and paid a sub.  The game has promise as something more than it currently is.  The model failed before, and it's failing now.  It simply does not have broad enough appeal in its design to hold many subscribers.  

This if there was more MMO "fluff" and other things to do this would be huge I think.  But they still only have basically an open MMO world for arena-pvp.  They must put in a lot of other fluff or there is no hope of broader appeal.

They have city building, crafting, ship building, pirating, treasure hunting, dungeons, and the markets...

The thing with all of that is it has no purpose aside from fueling the pvp, which in DFUW is not as good as it was in its predecessor.  They built a strong even though barbaric at times community with Darkfall 1.0, but they changed what gave DF 1 appeal which was no limitations, no classes do what you want and now its the oppiste tons of limitations and classes.  The pvp in the first DF was better, the world was larger, there were more player cities and hamlets and housing, items had value etc etc.

Alot of the content  from DF1 was added in after its release but it was a better game overall.

DFUW on so many levels is just boring.

• stuxstux Member Posts: 462

What did Claus say?

He also said:
    1) He was a member of Kill Cult throughout DF1
    2) He's friends with Obs Lod and has played a lot of different games with him
    3) That he's had no involvement in DFUW at all (even playing it) thus far
    4) That the game needs to cater more to new players that aren't as hardcore pvp as most of the current player base

-Krush

https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?381525-What-did-claus-say/page2&p=6192433#post6192433

I highlighted two interesting things.

1) He admitted playing DF1.  He was even in clan.  Its not like its bad enough the GM do it but so do the Devs.  Joining a clan, making friends, playing favorites its the usual outcome.  The GM's did it for sure.  I have heard the dev's played but never seen one openly admit it.  

If they want to play fine they should have their own clan were everyone knows who they are and can judge how it precedes openly not hiding in some various clan.  The GM and Devs should all be in said clan and everyone should know who they are are its just doesn't seem honest and can lead to favorites being played imo.

4) His point is extremely valid but the bulk of the long term followers will not accept that.  They will basically tell anyone with that mentality Darkfall is not for them and blame all of DFUW's problem on that group.  

This is a big problem in the community.  They want more players but only want new ones that fit a mold that is like themselves but there are simply not enough OF THEM to keep the game going and Claus has basically said as much in this statement.

There is a good review of this game in this thread from the perspective of a newer player (PWN_FACE) that would like to get into the game but couldn't.  Its sounded like he just felt like cannon fodder due to lack of time to grind gear, farm prowess, lack of twitch skill combined with good Hardware / software setup, just generally being an average player and he sounded overwhelmed and it turned out more stressful then it was worth for him.  There are many people like that.  They just bleed out from the bottom 1/3 (pvp skill) or so of the player base.  Then the ones that were in the middle are now the new bottom 1/3 to eventually follow.

In DFUW the skill bar was lower and the vets cried about it even though it was skill pretty easy to win the majority of the time verse newer players. The last patched raised it some and I can't see it working out well for the newer players.  I really don't know how you can have a high skill bar in a game of this nature and expect the keep the people who aren't that skilled.

That is one of the many problems hurting the game since it start (going back to DF1).

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Holophonist

I'm sorry but if you quit this game because of people hacking, you're making excuses. Most of the top players have released pvp videos where you can clearly see that they're better than the vast majority of players. It's possible they also hack when they're not recording, but it seems more likely that people are just complaining, like they always do.

It happens in every game. Watch starcraft 2 streams and you'll see how often these prominent, well known players are accusing other people have stream cheating, wall hacking, etc. But then somebody in their chat will point out that the accused is actually streaming himself, and you can very clearly see that he is not cheating.

People will ALWAYS make excuses for why they lose.

I do believe whoever posts you were referring to the guy has ALREADY mentioned that he is an average player and NOT aiming to be a good player.

He point was there was nothing else to do in game if you an elite or striving to be, and that there MIGHT be cheaters.

He wasn't making excuses (in fact he admitted that he ain't good enough in this game).

However, he's point is right - a game shouldn't be only fun when you are really good at it, especially the fact that it is supposed to be a sandbox mmo.

• ilivesilives Member Posts: 418

Obviously it isn't enough or poorly implemented, if DFUW is going under according to Claus.

How's AV going to boost the player base by 75%?  Reducing the price and Steam didn't do it.

Where have all the "good" shills gone?

• gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360
    A cult figure can energies the gaming community and make it grow. I hope AV makes good use of Claus.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

I can identify Tasos mindset right here and the zero understanding of MMORPG concepts.

Tasos once gave an update "here is the sandbox for you :  funhulks ! "

Along these lines such a reply from above poster.

Yes crafting is in ....but crafted items have no attributes thous make them not intrestingfor crafter types of players.

Yes city building is in ..but pre placed spots and random rare drop mechanic from chests  make them not intresting for house owner type of players.

Yes ship building is in..but blunt crafting mechanics makes em unintresting for shipbuilders type of players.

Yes some sort of pirating is in i guess .. but not being able to loot merchant ships makes em unintresting for pirate type of players along with the inability to establish a remote hideout  somewhere on a small island. 

Yes markets are in..but them being global make em unintresting for people trying to establish business somewhere.

DF has lots of fail features the only thing you supposed to do is meaningless PvP.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

to make a long list short..

Darkfall unholy wars failed hard.. harder then 1.0 did that's for sure.

Not only they drove away most of the 1.0 darkfallers.. but they presented a game which dont appeal to the carebear player aswell..with poorly implented thought features and no content @ all

It wont be long till the company goes bankruppt.. Claus cant do anything prolly because of only 4 months workschedule besides that after he made 1.0 he will prolly hate uw.

Hopefully 1.0 will be picked up by either a company or some volenteers that want to work a steady core game

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

I always said AV built this game with the wrong crowd in mind.  The original DF would of been a smashing success (for an indie) as a non loot game.  With PvP focused around sieges and some lawless areas.  With the majority of the game dedicated to PVE, Exploring and character development.   Character development was almost endless in the original game.

They built Elder Scrolls online then opened it up to sociopaths.  The fact that they cant see this is their biggest mistake.  And UW proves it.  Same out come as DF.

A game that could of had a 100k subs with optional PvP turned out to be a game with a couple of thousand Hard Core Pvpers.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by goboygo
    I always said AV built this game with the wrong crowd in mind.  The original DF would of been a smashing success (for an indie) as a non loot game.  With PvP focused around sieges and some lawless areas.  With the majority of the game dedicated to PVE, Exploring and character development.   Character development was almost endless in the original game. They built Elder Scrolls online then opened it up to sociopaths.  The fact that they cant see this is their biggest mistake.  And UW proves it.  Same out come as DF.A game that could of had a 100k subs with optional PvP turned out to be a game with a couple of thousand Hard Core Pvpers. 

Nah it would have been a complete failure given how the PvE actually was. The concept behind the game was fine, the execution was just poor and then they catered too much to the carebear crowd with UW. They needed to be decisive and understand that just because it is a PvP game doesn't mean it doesn't need good PvE too. This game more than any screamed should have free to play too. If you are targeting a small niche market you can't charge a monthly sub, especially with no trial offer.

• eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Originally posted by Ender4

Originally posted by goboygo
    I always said AV built this game with the wrong crowd in mind.  The original DF would of been a smashing success (for an indie) as a non loot game.  With PvP focused around sieges and some lawless areas.  With the majority of the game dedicated to PVE, Exploring and character development.   Character development was almost endless in the original game.

They built Elder Scrolls online then opened it up to sociopaths.  The fact that they cant see this is their biggest mistake.  And UW proves it.  Same out come as DF.

A game that could of had a 100k subs with optional PvP turned out to be a game with a couple of thousand Hard Core Pvpers.

Nah it would have been a complete failure given how the PvE actually was. The concept behind the game was fine, the execution was just poor and then they catered too much to the carebear crowd with UW. They needed to be decisive and understand that just because it is a PvP game doesn't mean it doesn't need good PvE too. This game more than any screamed should have free to play too. If you are targeting a small niche market you can't charge a monthly sub, especially with no trial offer.

Actually I think if the game offered different types of server it would attract a lot more people. I am playing DF:UW for some months now and it doesn't bore me so far. But every single guy that I played games like Lineage 2 with denies to even try the game because of full loot and the far too time intensive travelling. And they like the pvp system, sieges etc. It's just that they know that these 2 things make the game kind of unplayable for players that can't afford to play multiple hours each day.

So if they added servers with a decent network of ports and no looting (or 1-3 items randomly dropping?), it most likely would be full with players that got more of a life then us and don't have the time for DF:UW's constant slow downs. Of course there would need to be other death penalities like loosing Prowess or whatever. PVP, politics, drama - there would be plenty of people enjoying these if the game was made accessible for pvp fans with less time then us.

LFG!
  • xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Tell your friends that full loot isn't that big of a deal because you do t grind for epics.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• HiderploHiderplo Member Posts: 7

Legend Gaming TeamSpeak Administrator || Talion Inner Sanctum Representative || Blackthorne Captain
  • PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Seem like to me a lot of you folks are not playing anymore...Someone needs to tell Tasos to close the Jaws of Oblivion before his game becomes Vaporware forever...image (pun intended)

I retired retroactively..Haha

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by MrBoots
    Originally posted by xpiher
    The number of hacks are being blown out of proportion in this thread. I played with dolphin rider in dfo as well as most of the coe/rgf crew and most of the other top pvpers. There were only a few people who cheated in this circle and most where ostracized. White chapel for instance. Mr bucket. Johna hacked on alt account to make money to fuel grinding.

The two biggest names that get accused of hacking are aim bot and dolphin aim bot gets accused of hacking because most people do not understand how the game works and he does. What he does is use the strafe mechanic to force the direction of his arrows at distance and ignores wobble when at mid-short range because of the way hit boxes work. The only video THAT May show him hacking in dfo was one in a village where the only way to run was in a single direction.

I can't comment on dolphin rider as I've only ran into him 3x in uw. But in dfo he was accused of it in dfo during water combat. In water combat constantly strafing and going up and down can throw off a lesser skilled persons aim especially at range and in group fights I don't think I've seen a better person on knowing how and when to pull back, using friendlies to meat shield and sustain pressure.

What would you have done if Dolphin Rider had told you about his cheat program? Would you do the right thing? Your posts make it seem like you would. Do you think it's possible that they wouldn't trust you with that knowledge? I learned this lesson the hard way in another game.

I joined a clan that was doing really well on my server. They were popular because they were the top pvpers on the server. I had fun playing with those guys, and enjoyed winning. Whenever someone cried hacks I would get on the forums and call them a liar. I thought they were just jealous of our accomplishments and I blindly supported my clan mates.

One day I logged in to find my character in a virtual jail. There were 4 walls and no exit. After paging a GM he pops in and starts questioning me. He asked me questions about any 3rd party applications, and if I knew of any being used by my clan members. I had no idea what he was talking about. After about 30 minutes of questions he told me that my account was being suspended until it could be reviewed.

Almost two weeks later I got a response from support saying that my account was clean and that I was being unsuspended. It also said that my clan had been disbanded because most of the members including the leader were permanently banned. They refunded my lost time at least. Before the bust my clan had just under 100 members. Only about 12 of us remained. Most of the guys that got unbanned were newer members. I never saw it coming.

Everyone knew there was massive cheating in DF1.......You cant expect anything less in this one.....Most players would rather risk being banned and win than playing safe and losing.....Its just the PVP mindset that they will win at all costs.

Originally posted by Theocritus
    Originally posted by MrBoots
    The number of hacks are being blown out of proportion in this thread. I played with dolphin rider in dfo as well as most of the coe/rgf crew and most of the other top pvpers. There were only a few people who cheated in this circle and most where ostracized. White chapel for instance. Mr bucket. Johna hacked on alt account to make money to fuel grinding.

The two biggest names that get accused of hacking are aim bot and dolphin aim bot gets accused of hacking because most people do not understand how the game works and he does. What he does is use the strafe mechanic to force the direction of his arrows at distance and ignores wobble when at mid-short range because of the way hit boxes work. The only video THAT May show him hacking in dfo was one in a village where the only way to run was in a single direction.

I can't comment on dolphin rider as I've only ran into him 3x in uw. But in dfo he was accused of it in dfo during water combat. In water combat constantly strafing and going up and down can throw off a lesser skilled persons aim especially at range and in group fights I don't think I've seen a better person on knowing how and when to pull back, using friendlies to meat shield and sustain pressure.

What would you have done if Dolphin Rider had told you about his cheat program? Would you do the right thing? Your posts make it seem like you would. Do you think it's possible that they wouldn't trust you with that knowledge? I learned this lesson the hard way in another game.

I joined a clan that was doing really well on my server. They were popular because they were the top pvpers on the server. I had fun playing with those guys, and enjoyed winning. Whenever someone cried hacks I would get on the forums and call them a liar. I thought they were just jealous of our accomplishments and I blindly supported my clan mates.

One day I logged in to find my character in a virtual jail. There were 4 walls and no exit. After paging a GM he pops in and starts questioning me. He asked me questions about any 3rd party applications, and if I knew of any being used by my clan members. I had no idea what he was talking about. After about 30 minutes of questions he told me that my account was being suspended until it could be reviewed.

Almost two weeks later I got a response from support saying that my account was clean and that I was being unsuspended. It also said that my clan had been disbanded because most of the members including the leader were permanently banned. They refunded my lost time at least. Before the bust my clan had just under 100 members. Only about 12 of us remained. Most of the guys that got unbanned were newer members. I never saw it coming.

Everyone knew there was massive cheating in DF1.......You cant expect anything less in this one.....Most players would rather risk being banned and win than playing safe and losing.....Its just the PVP mindset that they will win at all costs.

Massive cheating existed in the fire couple month of DFO EU1 launch and BARELY at all after since AV created anti-cheat software for the permire hacking tool. UW barely has any cheating as well and AV can detect it. THe problem with the current cheat softwear is that it hooks into people's graphic cards and exploits DX technology, completely bypassing the client thus making it harder to stop. Another issue is that most people scream "HAX!" when they are simp[ly just bad at the game. Everyone knows I suck at PvP, but when I do get the occisional kill people say I hacked because their ego is just to fragile to handle losing to me. I've been accused of radar hacking because I heard a transfer over a mountain and snuk up on the guy.

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

You guys think claus is gonna fix anything? It's over. Now that DF UW is a class based game, they have to waste their time to balance everything and with the recent duelist school, it's worse then ever. 

They claim that DF is a niche game made for niche players? Bullshit. DF is nothing like a niche game and the fact that it has full loot is nothing compared to everything else.

List of things that don't come from mmo's who claim to be niche: class, restricted schools, restricted armor sets over customization - caps - penalty based on armor weight/encumbrance.  Prowess -silimar to leveling up, 6 safe zones in 6 different part of the world for everyone and red players. Slow game - not as fast as quake anymore and slower than call of duty. meaningless war and incomplete game(a lot less completed than darkfall 1)

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

Real, the fact that the game has restriction at all means that 1v1 balance would never be achieved because restrictions mean strengths and weaknesses. Safe zones are also a necessary evil and has been proven by eu1 launch, eve, and mo (eve and mo have defacto safe zones)

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Real, the fact that the game has restriction at all means that 1v1 balance would never be achieved because restrictions mean strengths and weaknesses. Safe zones are also a necessary evil and has been proven by eu1 launch, eve, and mo (eve and mo have defacto safe zones)

Yeah, but with 10 skills almost like in a moba game per class and school you chose, the balance is way too off and there was no common sense or enough community feedback applied to fix some of these things.For example, skirmishers can dash, mages can't. in a 1v1 scenario: If mage is about to win, skirmisher retreat succesfully. IF the opposite happen, the mage has to spawn a mount and the skirmisher will shut it down with leap and dash and then he will proceed to finish him off.

For a sandbox game where you can lose everything when you die, this imbalanced part is just not good. In DFO, mages were always better then destroyers, but as a destroyer, it was always possible to go as fast as a mage while bunny hopping. Not that i liked bunny hops even if i was very good at it, but now, only skirmishers can bunny hop so the balance is even worse then it should be after 8 months. Plus they only added bluetails runner to counter how easy to was to reach a mount on foot. It did not only worked, it also was a perfect gold sink. 

In a moba, they say that if you play public, you must chose a role who can escape to win often, but atleast, there's constantly goals to achieve in a moba like destroying towers, killing the boss, and finishing the game. If DF was a real moba, it would have been as balanced as smite, but it's not smite, it's a sandbox so in term of balance, it's not a matter of how fast someone can push, buying items, how quick he can kill with his nukes... it's mostly about executing someone in a sandbox and so far, the best executer is a skirmisher so he gets to do everything like soloing when the player wants to play early in the morning when none of his friends are online. That's why this ROCK/Paper/scissors is bad for darkfall coz only paper can run away from scissors to move back in the safe zone or to reset the fight.

And defacto safezone is the way to go. The only reason i don't play darkfall today coz everyone and those not supposed to be there are in it. I just hope the system is not complete and since DF is still a beta, i keep on checking to see if it's getting better, but i rather not support it. I can't support a game that took away what i was supporting along the way and that was darkfall 1.

Double post, when you balance a game, the best thing to do is the remove as much frustration as possible.

this: It's from a hon(heroes of newerth) developer. 

Insight from Pandaroohoo on the balance changes of Patch 3.2.5

http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?517654-Insight-from-Pandaroohoo-on-the-balance-changes-of-Patch-3-2-5

Hail friends, I’m Pandaroohoo, a gameplay designer here at S2 Games.

I’m going to shed some light on the focus of this patch to give you an idea of our design principles and the direction our game is headed in. The focus of this patch is the never-ending goal of hero diversity from all aspects that encompass a hero, including its strengths, weaknesses, roles, play styles, niches and even item choices.

There are a large number of changes aimed at this direction. The first is against unskilled burst damage and also a reconsideration of the counter-play and frustration that some of our popular heroes may be causing. We also have some substantial buffs targeted at emphasizing the unique concept and mechanics of some heroes. We want to be sure that when you’re picking a hero, there is a defining reason for that pick, not just instant kill power.

Parasite is an example of lowering burst. Parasite has some unique mechanics: jumping inside creeps, reducing enemy damage and stealing buffs. All of these mechanics become second rate once Parasite obtains a Codex. Why worry about utility when you can always kill whoever you want by just clicking on them. By toning down Parasite’s damage specifically with Codex, we can begin looking into putting more emphasis on his other mechanics, keeping him still as a burst hero, but reinforcing the reasons you pick him up over others.

Night Hound is our example of alleviating frustration. We made a substantial change to his pounce skill, no longer always appearing behind the target. This puts a large emphasis on the decision for the enemy to play against Night Hound, allowing them to effectively turn and fight avoiding backstab entirely. By adding a counter play aspect, it gives us avenues to even increase the effectiveness of backstab or pounce later on but still reserving the concept and counter play.

An old icon and a good footprint in the game, Maliken has some interesting mechanics about him that have fallen behind in strength. With our reinforced focus towards his passive Hellbourne Zeal, Maliken is much stronger when he is low on hit points, putting more emphasis on the punishment for enemies not finishing him off while allowing the Maliken to experience more power unique to his concept.

I could go on for days about the values and reasonings for our changes – in the end, this patch is given to you guys with the hopes of the never-ending improvement and longevity of our game. We will be monitoring these changes very closely and look forward to any feedback you may have.

Thanks friends!

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Do i smell DF falling to the free to play market? Or are they going to shut it down for good in the near future?

I retired retroactively..Haha

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Realbigdeal

You guys think claus is gonna fix anything? It's over. Now that DF UW is a class based game, they have to waste their time to balance everything and with the recent duelist school, it's worse then ever. 

This - he is back on a 4 month contract and sorry there is way too much broken that can be fixed in 4 months.  They should either sell the game license or shut it down since Claus already stated they cannot pay the bills.

Real, you obviously haven't played uw because safezones haven't been a problem since av removed essences from them

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

classes was probably not the best design decision, they should have gone with armor restrictions and specializations. Now they will never manage to balance everything.

They had a nice system in DF1 for character development, all it needed was some tweaks (and a skill cap) and it would have been perfect.