Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Server Unification Beginning Next Week

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest developer blog from the Trion Worlds team has cropped up on the Rift site. In it, devs speak to next week's server unification process, where regional servers will be created to make the game more robust for players looking for larger populations.

First, it means that the pool of people that you can play with is even bigger. Random dungeons will once again be random across the entire population of the region, warfronts will have a larger pool to draw from for match making, Conquest will have more folks to slaughter, and it will be even easier to visit your friends on other servers!

Second, this effort is part of something even bigger for the future that we’d like to announce for the first time today: Truly international worlds for RIFT! Our engineers have been hard at work on a longer term project that we’re happy to talk about beginning right now. It’s always been a dream of ours to have our architecture seamlessly support multiple languages.

Read the rest on the Rift site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    AKA: F2P failed and we did not pull as many players as hoped, so we are merging servers.
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • beej1986beej1986 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Yea that's why pvp battles grounds pop instantly....must be dieing. Every game goes through some sort of serve merge eventually.

CENTER]image[/CENTER]

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi
    AKA: F2P failed and we did not pull as many players as hoped, so we are merging servers.

i uninstalled Rift like a week or two ago for personal reasons but servers empty was not one of them. They were most of the time heavy load. Not full, but heavy. I think Rift server capacity is small because even on heavy load there was not many people around outside of town and starting area so it makes sense they merge the servers. Rift's F2P model is the best in the market right now among all the mmorpgs who went hybrid. Their problem isnt the model, is the game itself IMO.

• Artair83Artair83 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    I really think it'd help if more f2p games advertised. I use to see a lot of ads for Rift back when it was still subscription they should really drop a big f2p campaign and/or consider hopping on Steam to get more players in. I know a lot of mmos avoid steam because of their cash shop sharing agreements but I think the influx of players would make it worth it.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    I finally gave up on Rift (I have a level 53 rogue and level 50 warrior). I came in at launch, and played to cap twice. It wasn't a bad game, but its just not what I'm looking for right now. I went back last month and run my rogue up to 53, but the game hasn't really changed, so I uninstalled it.  But I do wish those who continue to enjoy it all the best.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    I finally gave up on Rift (I have a level 53 rogue and level 50 warrior). I came in at launch, and played to cap twice. It wasn't a bad game, but its just not what I'm looking for right now. I went back last month and run my rogue up to 53, but the game hasn't really changed, so I uninstalled it.  But I do wish those who continue to enjoy it all the best.

this is one of the major reasons why i left. They have "varied" content but all of them feel exactly the same. Thats why i got bored very fast of it. Trion needs to evolve this game, in general. From gameplay mechanics to new continents with a different atmosphere to new races with new starting zones. Also they need to do a major overhaul to questing. It is awfully bad the way they offer the generic questing. It is too generic. Even the story quests feel like mere side quests. This game needs to evolve. I hope evolution is part of Hartsman vision for improving Rift because i want to play and support this game, but i just cant in its current state.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

More precisely: f2p (awesome model btw) brought in many players, they've opened new shards, and now that the numbers are stabilizing they're closing those down again.

I'm not a big Rift'er myself, it's a decent game but I like LotRO better. However, I think this move has nothing to do with any failure, hence the correction...

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by beej1986
    Yea that's why pvp battles grounds pop instantly....must be dieing. Every game goes through some sort of serve merge eventually.

battlegrounds pop instantly because of the mercenary system (its not a true 2 faction system, they toss people on the other side to balance it out), not because the game has a huge population.  The reason queues exist is not because of high populations, but because of imbalance.  In fact, longer queues typically mean higher population because the imbalance becomes even greater.  

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by Po_gg

More precisely: f2p (awesome model btw) brought in many players, they've opened new shards, and now that the numbers are stabilizing they're closing those down again.

I'm not a big Rift'er myself, it's a decent game but I like LotRO better. However, I think this move has nothing to do with any failure, hence the correction...

I agree. I played Rift for a month before it went f2p and thought it was a solid game .  Nothing was amazing.  I just find the LOTRO world and story more exciting.  Hope Rift continues because they seem to update game often enough and still looks good. 

• PreythanPreythan Member Posts: 66
    I played Rift from beta till about March of this year...loved the game but seemed to get a bit stale even after the expansion.  I still wish the Rift team well in the future.  Rift could be so much more than it's current state if they refined some things.
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

If they had ever made the combat/movements less clunky and maybe made more leveling content so it wasn't so linear and lowered the mob density and made the earlier rifts more interesting and maybe fewer invasions and well made the dungeons a bit better...

Nah, it just isn't a very good game. It has some parts that work but there is nothing that really suggests you should play it over any of the other WoW clones that came out recently.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

It's a fun game for awhile.  It has a lot to offer.  But I recently cancelled my sub as I don't see a good reason to keep it.

I'm a little frustrated by the cost of the clothing.  I'd probably buy some if it was cheaper.  I realize that is how they are making their money, but when I was paying a sub it was the same price.

Maybe I'll keep playing but other games are pulling me away...GTAV and Assassins Creed Black Flag is coming soon.  Also...went back and started playing Torchlight 2.  There is only so much time to play games and there are a lot of good games out there....

• bexinhbexinh Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Attempt to come back to the game a few times in fact my sub still on by the end of December but everytime i try to log in i fail to stay for at least 5 mins. I dont know but may be because of the empty server or may be because of the poor combat system ... i couldnt force myself to like Rift any more. Dont get me wrong, Rift is still an awesome game outthere compare to many other MMOs ... somehow Rift is not for me any more. Now EQN is my last hope for MMO. Ive been shopping for new games to play but every game i touch i get bored in less than a month, and doesnt matter how i play it, casual hardcore ... still ... its not for me. May be ill give Rift another try when they improve their combat system or server population.
  • AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Truly a WoW killer.
  • davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    thats mean Rift Dying
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Actually I have enjoyed a lot original release. Remember Rift also as one of best bugless releases ever.

Only very annoying thing was when number of players started to drop nobody was closing rifts. So they continued to expand and expand ... for week or even two when returning from job I was unable to play, all npc's at quest hubs were killed in secs after returning to life and same happened to players. Areas were infested by zillion of mobs. 

Then expansion come. Nothing speciall but ok. Less invasive invasions. :-) But .... regular mobs in new starting areas had many times more hp then ELITE mobs of same level in old world. It took eons to kill trivial mobs. Ok, maybe for raiders that had 10 times better equipment then me this would not be problem. But then they should state game is made for raiders only.

Left for good and not sure if returning ever. Also because enough of other good games. With wow and swtor and now eq2 as I usually like to say all my gaming needs are covered for years to come. :-)

• BurnouttxBurnouttx Member UncommonPosts: 21

It's either that or half of the MMOs are looking at what EvE Online has done for the past 10 years and are finally joining the bandwagon.  Look at what WoW did.  They "borrowed" ideas out there to stay on top...

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Always sad to see a game going down..and yes, Rift is going down for a while.

I recently started to like Rift, but at the same time i started to dislike Trion more and more for various reasons. I love to see this company burn for their attitude and dishonesty.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Rift servers are all busy.  Nothing wrong with the game.  I don't pvp much so not sure how the groupings in that feature of the game are.
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    This announcement reminds of that great event of the East and West Germany unification but I'm not sure if its as important. Though it could just be that the Trion PR guys have found a Thesaurus and don't have the balls to call it what it really is, a server merge? 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    So basically they are merging servers. I am always happy when a game merges its servers. It means higher population available to you. In my opinion MMOs should have only a single server for everyone or in a worse case scenario one server per region. Having 20-50 servers is the most stupid idea in mm history. Not a single mmo I have played has extremely populated servers and the reality is they require much fewer servers.

But then again everyone seems to be thinking that the Shit has hit the fan if there are mergers. And that's why companies are afraid to merge them. So we end up with pathetic games which are anything but massively multilayer. BF3 is more massive than what we have in MMOs (both old and new, so please don't twist this into back in the days everything was amazing and all tha crap cause it was not).

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Artair83
    I really think it'd help if more f2p games advertised.

If I see F2P or B2P, I usually avoid that mmorpg.

On topic though, Server unification, we all know means merges because the population had decline/is declining/has been declining or all of the above. I tried Rift in beta and at release. It was a decent game, just too much of a clone of another game for me to spend much time with it.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Faeblight is still rather populated.

Is it? I haven't done anything but log into Rift for a few minutes on rare occasion in a long time, but I built a system for a friend who wants to get her feet wet on MMOs. As part of trying to be sure everything is working, last night I logged into Rift to have a quick look around.

I logged on to one of the low-level characters I have parked in Sanctum on Faeblight and in riding around town I was quite shocked to only see maybe five to ten other people, if even that many.

Might have been bad timing, I dunno, but at around 7PM Eastern I really expected to see a lot more people around.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Having 20-50 servers is the most stupid idea in mm history. Not a single mmo I have played has extremely populated servers and the reality is they require much fewer servers.

You must be new to MMORPG then, overpopulation used to be a huge issue. I do agree with you that most games don't merge fast enough. As a game matures it loses players and you need fewer servers. Rift has been dying for quite some time, they should have merged quite a while ago. WoW should have merged a bunch of their servers already too.

• fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314

Here is my problem with rift in a nutshell. I played since beta like most others. I played on PvP servers only. One day I was invited to a Dimension of some RP server for some party or whatever else those Rp'ers do. They were holding a duel tournament. Me being the only player from a PvP shard I should win easy right? Nope, I was outgeared bad, really bad. Though I could have been the best skilled player in the world, some random noobs beat me because it's a lot easier to gear up on an RP server than on a PvP server. 

So if you want to stay competative in pvp you have to move to a pve server, what kind of sense does this make? 

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!