Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clause live streaming honest discussion about future of Darkfall.

Comments

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    20k subs split between two servers and with different time zones is easily doable.  Nothing surprising about that number.
  • Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

The way Av have treated their player base, me included... the deserve to fail.

They fooked all DF1 players over with all the wipe crap for over a year and killed the game because of it.

Then they release a half assed new version of the game with half the stuff missing from the orginal.

What goes around comes around AV. You've treated your player base like shit for years.

Hope AV is no more by the end of the year and all the devs don't have a job and never work on games ever again.

Yes I am one bitt mother fuk  er that's followed and played the game since 2007.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I'm sorry but if you quit this game because of people hacking, you're making excuses. Most of the top players have released pvp videos where you can clearly see that they're better than the vast majority of players. It's possible they also hack when they're not recording, but it seems more likely that people are just complaining, like they always do.

It happens in every game. Watch starcraft 2 streams and you'll see how often these prominent, well known players are accusing other people have stream cheating, wall hacking, etc. But then somebody in their chat will point out that the accused is actually streaming himself, and you can very clearly see that he is not cheating.

People will ALWAYS make excuses for why they lose.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Originally posted by Lustmord
    Originally posted by Deerhunter71
    Think he meant 2k current subscribers instead of 20k?  I mean if there just for arguement's sake 10k subscribers and each with an alt the whole damn world would be slam full of people everywhere...  I just do not see the 20k being right.

Yes, I'm thinking it was a slip of tongue, or a loss in translation.

They have 2k subs and need to get to at least 3.5k to be on mark.

Really a shame, considering how much the last combat patch improved the game.

A lot of people are coming back just because Claus is working on the game again. I hope they can pull through this slump.

I hope people will come back to the game, if nothing else, to support indie game companies trying to make something that isn't a wow clone.

While needing 35k seems a bit high as a break even points 3.5k seems really low, that's only around 50k in revenue per month.  Bandwidth, server overhead, building overhead, would eat a good bit of that even before you get to salaries.  On the other hand 500k in income per month to break even seems high for an indy game.  

• stuxstux Member Posts: 462
    Originally posted by Holophonist

I'm sorry but if you quit this game because of people hacking, you're making excuses. Most of the top players have released pvp videos where you can clearly see that they're better than the vast majority of players. It's possible they also hack when they're not recording, but it seems more likely that people are just complaining, like they always do.

It happens in every game. Watch starcraft 2 streams and you'll see how often these prominent, well known players are accusing other people have stream cheating, wall hacking, etc. But then somebody in their chat will point out that the accused is actually streaming himself, and you can very clearly see that he is not cheating.

People cheat.  You can record a video of yourself cheating and post it as its not going to show the program you are using to do while you are playing the game unless you want to show it and very few are that dumb. 

Want to see some starcraft 2 cheats:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBZT2ukipkc&feature=player_embedded#!

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/167781/Indepth_Extravagant_cheating_via_Direct_X.php#.URpoY6VEHl-

It happens in darkfall as well on many different levels.

It happens in every game.  That is only part of the problem though.

Obviously, if the game is running into money troubles and some people help them out more then other favorites will be played.  Who gets banned and who doesn't.  Who do the GM's help and who doesn't.

If AV is having money troubles and looks to its community for financial aid those that contribute are very likely to look and maybe get benefit from it imo.

Aside, from that other issues have been covered in other threads on this website.

Originally posted by stux

People cheat.  You can record a video of yourself cheating and post it as its not going to show the program you are using to do while you are playing the game unless you want to show it and very few are that dumb. 

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/167781/Indepth_Extravagant_cheating_via_Direct_X.php#.URpoY6VEHl-

Obviously, if the game is running into money troubles and some people help them out more then other favorites will be played.  Who gets banned and who doesn't.  Who do the GM's help and who doesn't.

If AV is having money troubles and looks to its community for financial aid those that contribute are very likely to look and maybe get benefit from it imo.

Aside, from that other issues have been covered in other threads on this website.

I'm not dumb enough to claim that cheats don't exist. I'm saying if you're quitting based on the pretense that cheating is affecting your experience in any kind of a significant way, you're lying to yourself. I've played over 5,000 games of sc2 and I can guarantee you that cheating has had less of an impact on my playing experience than snowstorms taking my power out. It's an excuse.

EDIT: Also, what I meant by pointing out that "top tier" Darkfall players post videos is that you can clearly see that they're talented players... in so much as that community has to offer. If they were using any kind of a third party program, you'd be able to see the effects of it by watching the video. It's not about whether you can see the window or not.

OT,

I can't decide if this was a good thing for the game or bad.  The guy was clearly unprofessional and talking about things I think are immoral.  If you are looking for that sort of crowd in a game then that is the community the game may be successful with but I am not interested in playing a game with that crowd

Here is an example:

"Oh come on. It was fkn 2am for him, he was drunk, are you really upset about that? Some of you are just pussies. The guy has been honest as fuck, and seemed to be motivated, which is amazing imo. Yes, he was joking around and stuff, but you know what, this just make him more human and tbh I prefer this honesty over the big pile of lies and the long AFK periods, which is what AV has given us in the past years."

-DaveStunTueur

https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?381496-Claus-had-his-hand-in-the-Jesus-Patch-of-DF1/page4

How this whole thing went down is suspect imo as well.

I hope AV well.  I hope the make the game more enjoyable and patch more frequently.  But how they go about and who they cater the game towards may not make me want to play it.

However it proceeds, they need to do it in a more professional level.  I do like the candor but not the application of it.

I'm not dumb enough to claim that cheats don't exist. I'm saying if you're quitting based on the pretense that cheating is affecting your experience in any kind of a significant way, you're lying to yourself. I've played over 5,000 games of sc2 and I can guarantee you that cheating has had less of an impact on my playing experience than snowstorms taking my power out. It's an excuse.

I am not talking about SC2.  I was just pointed out its not that hard to if you want.

I am talking about in DFUW and yes there are people cheating in the game.  They just don't run around showing you how to do it via recording videos of it and posting them on youtube.

The best programmers can easily record playing the game and post what they want you to see and it would be very hard to tell the difference.

I have seen it in the game.  Is it completely out of control?  NO.  But its there and some people will leave as a result depending on how it effects them.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

It is a shame.  This is without a doubt the beginnings of what most of the people on this forum ask for in their MMO's.  I suspect the full loot part is too daunting for most to even give it a try.  I also think this game has attracted the wrong crowd for games actual strengths.  I see a lot of calls for almost no character development, they just want a big pvp arena I think.

The community is a bit odd as I've played mostly PvE focused games.  People seem to thrive on instability.  I'm crushed when our alliance losses a town...as I just lost easy access to hunting areas.  They shrug and say nothing.  Major clans go away overnight and no one thinks twice about it...it's not a bad community just very different from what I'm used to.  Dueling is somehow fun to them, I would rather go PvE or craft.

It is a truly remarkable game world that has the beginnings of an amazing game.  I think the old school MMO crowd (if they are open minded about PvP in the open world) as well as any explorers would do well to give this game a shot.  I have seen more awe inspiring vistas and visuals in this game than any other (Vanguard was impressive as well).

Hopefully with next patch they give some thought to PvE loot tables (not for PvP reasons but for the rewards as they are terrible now).  And more thought to the character development systems in general.  

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by Mardukk

It is a shame.  This is without a doubt the beginnings of what most of the people on this forum ask for in their MMO's.  I suspect the full loot part is too daunting for most to even give it a try.  I also think this game has attracted the wrong crowd for games actual strengths.  I see a lot of calls for almost no character development, they just want a big pvp arena I think.

The community is a bit odd as I've played mostly PvE focused games.  People seem to thrive on instability.  I'm crushed when our alliance losses a town...as I just lost easy access to hunting areas.  They shrug and say nothing.  Major clans go away overnight and no one thinks twice about it...it's not a bad community just very different from what I'm used to.  Dueling is somehow fun to them, I would rather go PvE or craft.

It is a truly remarkable game world that has the beginnings of an amazing game.  I think the old school MMO crowd (if they are open minded about PvP in the open world) as well as any explorers would do well to give this game a shot.  I have seen more awe inspiring vistas and visuals in this game than any other (Vanguard was impressive as well).

Hopefully with next patch they give some thought to PvE loot tables (not for PvP reasons but for the rewards as they are terrible now).  And more thought to the character development systems in general.  

The community is a bit odd as I've played mostly PvE focused games.  People seem to thrive on instability.  I'm crushed when our alliance losses a town...as I just lost easy access to hunting areas.  They shrug and say nothing.  Major clans go away overnight and no one thinks twice about it...it's not a bad community just very different from what I'm used to.  Dueling is somehow fun to them, I would really go PvE or craft.

Last paragraph  is a bit redundantly.

Not sure if you have been here for PRE DF:UW incarnation of DF.   The pure and unpolluted DF was more of a game for oldskool players and it had more potential before it got ruined by themepark ideas and focus on themepark arena pvp.

So i have been there and done that but then company took my submoney and created a themepark while pretending to work on extending the sandbox.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266

Just wanted to comment on this. Sorry, but your opinion is ridiculous. Cheaters break games. I've met cheaters in WoW and in Counter-Strike, and they just ruin the experience. Granted, WoW cheaters are not as rampant (met one on BG that capped nodes for our team before gates opened, and several that mined nodes from underground) but they still hurt you. However, when cheats are really frequent, you just lose any will to play, regardless of your skill! And this is no excuse!

I had once played pirated CS:S (yeah I know, my bad for playing a non-legit game) and so, I had to use servers that had no official valve cheat protection. Well, this was unplayable. Every game, I mean literally every 4 out of 5 games, there was a cheater either on our team or their team. He would move at insane speeds, autoheadshotting everybody, and we could do nothing about him. This just ruined the experience!

Of course, you can ignore cheaters and move on. Of course, you should not make cheaters take you off balance, make you rage. Of course you must tell yourself "he didn't win, because he cheated, so his win does not count" and so on. But there is just no fun playing with cheaters. You just think "okay there is a better way to spend my time" and do so.

So yeah, people do quit games because of cheaters, and that's a valid reason to quit games. No lying to yourself - you just go and spend your time better, in a game where people don't cheat (and such games do exist, go try make a maphack in Dota2 or Lol or Hon... OOPS you cannot because the programmers are smart and don't even send you the info about stuff you aren't supposed to see!)

Originally posted by IstrebiteI

Just wanted to comment on this. Sorry, but your opinion is ridiculous. Cheaters break games. I've met cheaters in WoW and in Counter-Strike, and they just ruin the experience. Granted, WoW cheaters are not as rampant (met one on BG that capped nodes for our team before gates opened, and several that mined nodes from underground) but they still hurt you. However, when cheats are really frequent, you just lose any will to play, regardless of your skill! And this is no excuse!

I had once played pirated CS:S (yeah I know, my bad for playing a non-legit game) and so, I had to use servers that had no official valve cheat protection. Well, this was unplayable. Every game, I mean literally every 4 out of 5 games, there was a cheater either on our team or their team. He would move at insane speeds, autoheadshotting everybody, and we could do nothing about him. This just ruined the experience!

Of course, you can ignore cheaters and move on. Of course, you should not make cheaters take you off balance, make you rage. Of course you must tell yourself "he didn't win, because he cheated, so his win does not count" and so on. But there is just no fun playing with cheaters. You just think "okay there is a better way to spend my time" and do so.

So yeah, people do quit games because of cheaters, and that's a valid reason to quit games.

If you were to play WoW and participate in BG's, how many of your matches do you think would be ruined by cheaters?

If you were to play CS on an official server, how many of those matches do you think would be ruined by cheaters?

Again, if you're quitting a game because of cheaters, it's an excuse. I'm not saying NOBODY cheats. What I am saying is that the vast majority of it is in your head. When I was playing DFUW there were people in my clan's mumble just CONSTANTLY complaining about dying to hackers. What was their reasoning? "Nobody can hit that often!".. or something similar. Not exactly "beyond a reasonable doubt."

So many other things are probably factoring into your losses than cheating or hacking. Lack of skill, poor in-game performance, latency, etc. 

I am not talking about SC2.  I was just pointed out its not that hard to if you want.

I am talking about in DFUW and yes there are people cheating in the game.  They just don't run around showing you how to do it via recording videos of it and posting them on youtube.

The best programmers can easily record playing the game and post what they want you to see and it would be very hard to tell the difference.

I have seen it in the game.  Is it completely out of control?  NO.  But its there and some people will leave as a result depending on how it effects them.

What have you seen in game exactly?

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

I have seen several videos of people explaining cheats or doing them.  All, that I could make out the name, appear on the Unholy Ban Hammer.  Some even before the video was posted.

AV has a detection system for this stuff.  They still review it with a live person before they lay down the ban hammer.  Stuff like this is present in every game known to man and takes time to verify.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Originally posted by -Zeno-

I have seen several videos of people explaining cheats or doing them.  All, that I could make out the name, appear on the Unholy Ban Hammer.  Some even before the video was posted.

AV has a detection system for this stuff.  They still review it with a live person before they lay down the ban hammer.  Stuff like this is present in every game known to man and takes time to verify.

Again, I'm not saying cheating doesn't exist in the world of video games. I'm saying it doesn't exist enough to significantly change your playing experience, not by a long shot.

And seeing videos of people isn't the same as seeing things in-game. That's my point. It's easy to get fired up about a video that clearly shows somebody cheating, but that video, which may get thousands of views, is only 1 instance of cheating in-game. 

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683

Lol.....Game that discourages new players or players that have real lives having a hard time paying the bills? I wonder why? I mean games don't need new blood or subscriptions to thrive, we should treat new players like shit and the devs should encourage that trollish behaviour! If every PvP game isn't the thriving pit of vitriol and hatred that is LoL obviously you aren't doing it right!

Maybe....just maybe....You should make it more "Hurrr hurr carebear..." friendly? I mean....Unless you don't want folk's money.

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• Sparky22Sparky22 Member Posts: 1
    Paying 100k EU Gold for stream footage
  • ilivesilives Member Posts: 418

20K subscriptions, he WAS drunk! image 

20K or 2K, DFUW needs to increase paying subscriptions by 75% based on Clauses numbers. image

Where have all the "good" shills gone?

• MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289
    I would imagine he meant 20k purchases not 20k active subscriptions. There's no way darkfall has 20k active subscribers.
  • ilivesilives Member Posts: 418
    Originally posted by MrBoots
    I would imagine he meant 20k purchases not 20k active subscriptions. There's no way darkfall has 20k active subscribers.

Whatever the number, it's not enough to keep DFUW open according to Claus.

Where have all the "good" shills gone?

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

If you are going to make a game aimed at a niche market and actually charge for it, you better make a great game. They made a mediocre one.

Of course the game is in trouble.

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    let it rot...

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266

2 <a data-cke-saved-href="http://www.mmorpg.com/profile.cfm/username/Holophonist"; href="http://www.mmorpg.com/profile.cfm/username/Holophonist"; title="View information about Holophonist" suhlink"="">Holophonist

I see your point. You are saying to not blame cheats for every loss - like, this guy headshots me every time = he's cheater, this guy found me while I was invis = he's cheater, this guy guessed where we were approaching from = he's cheater, and so on. Yes, in WoW this happened (famous merge of EU and RU in Vindication battlegroup where for some hours russians could get matched against europeans, where RU owned EU so hard that EU players whined on forums about hacks and cheats, which were actually clever usage of items and potions like invis potion or free action potion).

But that doesn't invalidate the point about hackers. What you say is legit - we must look at truth about cheaters before we pronounce the game unplayable because of them. But if there are enough cheaters, more than certain tolerance point, then you must agree that it's a valid reason to stop playing the game. And in a full loot PVP game even one such encounter can throw you off and that's a valid excuse - I farmed this stuff only to have it taken from me in an unfair way? No thanks, I won't farm it again, I'll play a game where my stuff is secure from cheaters.

The problem really is just intensified by the fact darkfall is full loot PVP game - in WoW, LoL, CS you only lose time spent on playing the exact matchup when you meet a cheater - that's like 10 or 20 minutes of your life, but in full loot PVP game you can lose much more than that... and it is NEVER refunded to you! That's the problem - they don't want to refund players who were owned via exploits... or cannot (no excuse btw, you can always make your game do nessecary logs to be able to refund).

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Had they added more sandbox type features instead of being pure PvP/Conquest, I would have stuck around and paid a sub.  The game has promise as something more than it currently is.  The model failed before, and it's failing now.  It simply does not have broad enough appeal in its design to hold many subscribers.  

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

Had they added more sandbox type features instead of being pure PvP/Conquest, I would have stuck around and paid a sub.  The game has promise as something more than it currently is.  The model failed before, and it's failing now.  It simply does not have broad enough appeal in its design to hold many subscribers.  

This if there was more MMO "fluff" and other things to do this would be huge I think.  But they still only have basically an open MMO world for arena-pvp.  They must put in a lot of other fluff or there is no hope of broader appeal.